Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
so anyone wanna explain the targeting call
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

so anyone wanna explain the targeting call

Jan 2, 2021, 2:17 AM

not a defenseless player

pushing to get a first two yards from marker

lowering head to deliver a blow...

hit in midsection - i has a confused

is the correct defensive play just let them get the first or wut?

note i am sure it wouldn’t have made a diff in outcome

Trevor Lawrence “fumble” was meh too...looked like down to me

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so anyone wanna explain the targeting call

Jan 2, 2021, 2:26 AM

I think it has to be looked at. Determining malicious intent that is. Losing a player for a game for a split second decision is tough. Especially for what happened with Skalski.

Give a penalty and take the player out for the series or something .

The instinct is to lower your head when some one is coming at you to run you over.

If you are an offensive player you can lower and hit with the crown all you want.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 2:29 AM

call me crazy but i think skalskis intent was to stop him from getting a first down

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 3:10 AM

I guess a middle LB with the #47 on his jersey is supposed to just let the QB pancake him.? The officials meet before the game. What are the odds of that happening?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 3:09 AM

Can't lead with the crown of the helmet, no matter where it hits on the runner's body. It was the right call by rule.

Jan 2, 2021, 3:12 AM

It's a judgement call. Just like holding. They keep EXPANDING the interpretation of the rule, so, by rule, I guess you cannot lead with the helmet.

Jan 2, 2021, 5:44 AM

The call was correct. I love Skalski but when I played it was called spearing and was a penalty then as well. 47 could have paralyzed himself by hitting him that way. As far as intent? I agree he was just trying to stop him from getting the first down just can't tackle that way.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s right, but...

Jan 2, 2021, 7:08 AM

I don’t thing he was trying to hit him with the top of his helmet, looked more like he was trying to hit the QB with his right shoulder, but the combination of his head going down and Fields spinning caused Skalski to miss by an inch or two. Still a penalty, but I don’t think he was trying to hit him with his head.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jan 2, 2021, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Re: so anyone wanna explain the targeting call ]

Horse Manure. I played a long time ago also and that would not have been called spearing. That was called form tackling. The only thing he did wrong was not to pick up the offensive person and drive him back into the ground. What are you supposed to do with your head, tale it off and put it in your back pocket.
And if you want to see and advanced class of offensive holding, watch the OSU offensive line.

Jan 2, 2021, 7:42 AM

If that was form tackling back in your day you had terrible coaches.

That’s how you break your neck tackling. Good coaches have always taught heads up tackling. You need to see what you’re hitting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jan 2, 2021, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: so anyone wanna explain the targeting call ]

You must have played wearing leather helmets. I last played 38 years ago and that was not taught then. "Form tackling" involved things like the position of your hips, stepping into the tackle, wrapping up and leading with the facemask. Even way back then coaches (at least the sane ones) knew putting your head down and blindly running into people with the top of your head was, at a minimum, unhealthy for all involved.

Jan 2, 2021, 6:39 AM

Seems like they need to look at stiff arms where the offensive player is allowed to put his hands all over the defensive players facemask without it being a penalty.

If the defender slightly touches a facemask it's 15 yards. Why doesn't that apply the other way?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 7:34 AM

I watch a lot of football and that was the first time I've seen targeting called that far below the head or neck. Agree on the repeated holding by OSU o-line also. Didn't change the outcome, I think. We fell into the trap of believing the hype that Clemson/Bama final was a done deal and looked past a hungry OSU team. Happens to the best of us sometimes. Great job again, what a fun ride we've had and will continue to have. Wait 'til
next year!

Jan 2, 2021, 7:44 AM

If you need that one explained you know nothing about college football. That targeting was a given.

Jan 2, 2021, 7:48 AM

It was probably technically the right call but if they make that call on every tackle where it could be justified there would be no Defenders left to ever finish any game. Seems pretty obvious there was no way the refs were going to let him finish the game since everyone knows he is the heart and soul of the defense and the moment he left we were cooked

Jan 2, 2021, 7:56 AM

It was a dangerous play. Text book targeting. They will show that play in the off-season in official’s clinics as an example of targeting.

It had no impact on the outcome of the game.

Jan 2, 2021, 8:23 AM

If fields doesn’t spin he hits him with his shoulder. But it is what it is. There should be different levels to targeting like basketball flagrants 1/2 that’s not an electable action he did. His arms were out to make a tackle no forceable contact to the head and neck area. That rule is so vague. It needs to be reworked. Too many players have been ejected this year and last with questionable penalties. And when you slow motion a play frame by frame they always looks worse.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic