Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
size rod and reel for shore/ inshore/river/creek fishing?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

size rod and reel for shore/ inshore/river/creek fishing?

Jan 20, 2021, 1:44 PM

I know this is not football related but help me!!!

I am going to be saltwater fishing a lot this summer. i am taking a 6 month sabbatical from 25 years of ministry. what size and tyoe of reels will i need to fish from the beach, and then from the piers and rivers, and inlets I will be around. I already have 10 foot and 9 foot shore rods... what about bait caster, traditional reels, spinning (4000, 5000, 6000?). I was born and raised in Charleston, and lived on the marsh/creek of the Ashley River, but I only did shrimping ad crabbing in saltwater, and fished only in local freshwater and brackish lakes and ponds. Help me Tigernetters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: size rod and reel for shore/ inshore/river/creek fishing?

Jan 20, 2021, 2:11 PM

Spud can educate you on that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where is Spud? He might be on sabbatical from

Jan 20, 2021, 2:15 PM

T-Net - could be down near the Ashley as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 2:19 PM

My go-to reel for surf fishing is a salt water spinning reel. Penn and Shimano are the best, but almost any larger skirted spool will do. Sounds like you've already got the rod covered. It needs to have enough backbone to set the hook and enough flex to cast a 3- or 4-ounce pyramid sinker. I use 20 lb mono although some people use heavier.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 20, 2021, 2:19 PM

Penn Battle III spinning combo is hard to beat for inshore.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 2:38 PM

1. What’s more important is what are you fishing for? Bait and tackle is dependent on the species you are trying to catch not whether you are in freshwater or salt water, in a boat or on the beach. Although what you fish with from the beach and the pier is definitely different than from a boat. But The species, the type of fish you are targeting, will be the biggest factor in your bait and tackle.

2. Where are you going to be? Charleston, Edisto, Beaufort?

There are forums online these days for everything and fishing is no exception. I suggest you Google for fishing forums and name the area you are going to be at and find forums for that area.

And of course any local tackle shop can help you with equipment, bait, the proper rigs to use, as well as seasonal things like areas to fish and species to target depending on the time of year.

And I know this sounds crazy but it works because people that hunt and fish are very friendly and sociable so I suggest you go hang out at a few local boat landings. In Charleston County most have a pier or dock and if the weather is nice there will be people fishing that you can talk to you. But you can also go up to people with boats. Tell them you’re new to the area and ask them what they are catching.

If you have a boat you have a lot more options available in terms of areas to fish and species to target. In that situation I suggest you look at local charter fisherman. Most of them specialize in certain types of fishing. Maybe spend a half a day with three or four different guys in the area and they will show you the type of tackle and the type of bait and rigs and show you the type of locations to catch the fish that you want to catch. A lot of people do that when they move to a new area. Hire a guide to take them out and learn what’s going on in that area. They are easy to find online and any local bait and tackle shop can I help you with that as well.

carolinasportsman.com

Charlestonfishing.com

thehulltruth.com

All three of those sites will have forums Specific to different geographic areas as well as different types of tackle and different species of fish.

And don’t forget to get your fishing license and salt water stamp. The best place to get those is a local tackle shop but you can also get them online through South Carolina DNR.

I would do a little research online and maybe hang out at a boat Landing and then go by a local tackle shop.

Good luck and happy fishing!

And two more things to keep in mind:

It’s called fishing, not catching!

A bad day fishing is always better than a good day at the office!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 2:46 PM

Everybody has their own personal preference but I use a 6.5 ft graphite spinning rod rated for 4-10 lb test with a Daiwa 2500 BG spinning reel. Loaded up with 15 lb test braided line. You can use it in the creeks and rivers for speckled trout, flounder, and red drum... or anything that bites!

Jan 20, 2021, 3:29 PM

That rig will work fine for spottail bass or redfish but it’s not gonna work for red drum. Technically, all three fish are the same species, but red drum refers to large mature fish over the slot limit and you would not fish for those with the type of light tackle you listed. Red drum are mature redfish that require heavier tackle and are fished for off of piers or the beach. Most people don’t eat red drum because when redfish get that big the meat usually isn’t very good and they have worms.

I’m only correcting you because I knew what you meant but someone on here that doesn’t saltwater fish would not. And the 0P would be confused.

Which reminds me, I forgot to put in my earlier post to make sure you read the regulations for each species and daily catch limits.

Jan 20, 2021, 3:14 PM

If your looking for a good budget set up that will last for years and crank in anything from trout to bream to bull reds ugly stick GX2 7ft medhvy one piece rod matched with a penn fierce 3000 or 4000 will do it all for well under $100

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 3:18 PM

Give fly fishing a try. Once you master it you will be hooked! Nothing like being in a cool mountain stream early in the morning

might try it actually....thanks

Jan 20, 2021, 3:37 PM

nm

Re: might try it actually....thanks

Jan 20, 2021, 4:05 PM

If you live in Charlotte you are within two hours of real fishing.

Jan 20, 2021, 3:19 PM

If your fishing the Ashley go up the small creek just south of the main creek entrance to Ashley Harbor (bull creek). Look for a dock with a fighting chair mounted on it. Fish mud minnows around that dock on low tide. DO NOT PUT YOUR ROD DOWN UNSECURED

Jan 20, 2021, 4:19 PM

Hey man, that’s on my creek don’t be giving away spots like that. Enough Ohio state fans driving around with their motors trimmed up round here already ??

PSA! If you’re fishing Charleston Harbor near Plum

Jan 20, 2021, 5:31 PM

Island, the “brown” fish are CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY!

You can thank me later!??

Go Tigers!

Re: PSA! If you’re fishing Charleston Harbor near Plum

Jan 21, 2021, 8:12 AM

That’s just nasty. Reminds me of those guys that pulled that 200lb wipe wad out of the sewage system

Yuuuchh! Groce!***

Jan 21, 2021, 12:01 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic