Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Favorite memory of 1981 season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Favorite memory of 1981 season?

Nov 6, 2015, 12:08 PM

Besides the obvious of course.

I was just a little ###### then, but I remember sitting on the hill watching the Demon Deacon do the push-ups for The Tiger.

Another memory is I woke up extremely ill the morning we were heading to Miami. My Dad took me to the doctor and was scared I wouldn't be able to go. The doc said to hell with that, get down there and watch the Tigers. I ran a fever the entire trip and slept through most of the game on Dad's lap. He wasn't able to stand up and watch/cheer....and he hasn't forgiven me to this day.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Favorite memory of 1981 season?

Nov 6, 2015, 12:14 PM

I have several;
1) Owning Hershel Walker in our defeat of UGA at home.
2) 82-24
3) Dale Hatcher warm up punds bouncing off the top of the Superbowl.
4) Defeating the holier-than-thou blue bellies at Chappel hole.
5) Making believers our of Dave Remmington and the whole Nebraska team,... CU was for real!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2015, 1:02 PM

The night before game we went to a party at Eden Roc hotel. As we were waiting for things to get started Tiger Band returned from OB parade and filed into the main ballroom playing the best version of Tiger Rag in memory the hair stood up on my arms and I told my wife right then we would win this game. The rest is history.

They played that on TV as well

Nov 6, 2015, 2:53 PM

The OB parade just became electric when the Tiger Band came by. Barbara Eden was one of the celeb hosts and was completely blown away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Passing the Demon Deacon up through the student section and

Nov 6, 2015, 12:40 PM

back down again like we usually did The Tiger mascot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dang - had forgotten that -***

Nov 6, 2015, 12:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine memory of that 1981 season going to the UNC

Nov 6, 2015, 12:43 PM

game in Chapel Hill. I was 18 YO.. I drove up alone to stay with 2 female friends I went to high school with. They were first year students at UNC. They got me a student ticket and I was the lone orange spot in a sea of Carolina blue in the student section.. I survived the game and the Tigers pulled out a 10-8 exhausting defensive victory. My family was not able to attend because the tickets was very hard to find. My high school classmates treated me well and took me out later that night on Franklin Street.

seeing my all time favorite Tiger, #99 Jeff Bryant

Nov 6, 2015, 12:43 PM

Save the year with the lateral recovery to seal the win over the Holes driving us to the NC game. Young folks have no clue how good UNC was that year, especially on D. They were every bit as fast on D as we were, and tougher than hell to run on. That game was a bludgeon match all day and big #99 recognized it as a lateral and not an incomplete pass and we closed the door on them and rolled on to history. I was 13 and out of my mind seeing that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: seeing my all time favorite Tiger, #99 Jeff Bryant

Nov 6, 2015, 1:44 PM

I was sitting on the 10 yardline on the opposite end of the field. Not a great perspective but I could see the yardline where the QB pitched from and the yardline where the tailback dropped it. Clearly a lateral and a live ball,... #99 was the only one on the field who recognized it as such, covered ii, the game was over, Tigers won!

Re: seeing my all time favorite Tiger, #99 Jeff Bryant

Nov 6, 2015, 1:46 PM [ in reply to seeing my all time favorite Tiger, #99 Jeff Bryant ]

UNC was good, real good. But so were we. I characterized that game as two teams that were scared to death of making one mistake as then knew the other team would take advantage of it.

Well guess what,... UNC made the mistake!

i was on same side, opposite end...everybody pulled up to a

Nov 6, 2015, 2:21 PM

jog or stopped because everyone thought it was and incomplete pass. My Uncle said, "that might be a lateral!", big #99 jumped on it, I saw the signal and lost my mind screaming "YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!". Knowing Bryant made the play made the whole year for me. He was my favorite Tiger and still is. A quiet beast of a DLman....his Defensive stats that year were utterly sick. 12 year career in Seattle and maybe the best all around DLman in Tiger history.

spot on man

Nov 6, 2015, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: seeing my all time favorite Tiger, #99 Jeff Bryant ]

Physical, bloodbath, brutal hitting going on.

Being able to answer "who/where is Clemson" to all the UT

Nov 6, 2015, 12:45 PM

fans I was in 6th grade with at the time.

Stuffing UGAy (Herschel) on 1st and goal. Listening to

Nov 6, 2015, 12:50 PM

Jim Phillips make the call.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did not have to feed nor shelter myself and nobody

Nov 6, 2015, 12:50 PM

cared if I went in my pants.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beating defending nat. champ. UGA

Nov 6, 2015, 1:21 PM

Their drunken fans came in screaming, "We talkin' national championship!" and laughing at the Tigers. Most of them were crawling up the steps leaving THE DV a little early.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 6, 2015, 1:36 PM

Drinking beer those 32 ounce beers at the Tulane Game.

Nov 6, 2015, 1:49 PM

Had 17 rounds of Wild Turkey on the rocks at a country rock bad and one Hurricane at Pat O'Brians for breakfast,... (the scary part was I really didn't feel that bad the next day).

watching a blocked punt roll out of the back of the end zone at UNCheat

Nov 6, 2015, 2:24 PM

otherwise we're sitting around now talking about how our 1981 1-loss season was better than the Coots' 1984 season.

no; this is MUCH better....

Watching GA fans hang out of their cars

Nov 6, 2015, 2:31 PM

And bark (yes, bark)at us as they travelled to the game. They were an arrogant lot. Then, after the game, watching them hot footing it to their cars with proverbial tails tucked! Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me and four other students deciding on Friday night to

Nov 6, 2015, 2:36 PM

drive to New Orleans. Drove all night, slept a few hours, drank our way through the French Quarter, and had the best time yelling for our Tigers in the superdome.

Re: Beating the coots at their house to go to the NC game****

Nov 6, 2015, 2:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

like much of this season, it was the build-up of game after

Nov 6, 2015, 2:52 PM

game as the season progressed culminating with the clock expiring vs Nebraska and there were no more games to be played:

...hearing substitutions announced over the DV PA system during the second half of the Wake game---names I'd never heard of and would never hear again that season.

...walking back to Franklin St from Kenan after the unc game and laughing at the stupid comments of the butthurt tarhole home crowd.

...the entire chicken game. We were undefeated, ranked in the Top 10---they weren't. Its been rare when Clemson fans KNEW the Tigers would absolutely win the rivalry game---this was one of the occasions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in Augusta, beating uga was the best!***

Nov 6, 2015, 3:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Second half interceptions against Georgia.***

Nov 6, 2015, 3:31 PM

Nov 6, 2015, 3:31 PM

Was only 5 years old...don't really remember much. My dad made sure to remind me alot when i was growing up though...

Nov 6, 2015, 3:49 PM

So many...Amtrak ride from Greenville through Clemson to NOLA. Hatcher warmup kick hitting the scoreboard in the dome. Sitting in a Coot high $ section at WB and loving it. Long drive to Miami. Spilled a huge jar of pickles in the van. Smelled awful the rest if the trip. Crab legs @ Joe's on South Beach. Arrogant Nebraska fans. Fumble on their first series. We scored first. With our D knew then we'd win. Bought a "Championship clock" that night while celebrating. No idea what I paid for it. Still have it in my Clemson room today. Short ride home to Greenville. Phoenix, get ready for some $2 bills. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2015, 6:01 PM

Jefferson Downs, dog crap on Burton Street, trip to Kentucky, Georgia beat down, Penn State win over Pitt and Orange Bowl. Good times...............

wearing overalls and being the underdog

Nov 6, 2015, 6:11 PM

Farmers from South Carolina

Being present in the Orange Bowl and watching Homer Jordan

Nov 6, 2015, 6:54 PM

personally run out the clock for the win with obvious QB keepers while the Nebraska players simply grasped at air trying to stop him.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2015, 6:55 PM

My favorite memory of 1981 was a girl in one of my classes named Kirstin melshiemer

I was on The Hill as well and the Deacon's push-ups on

Nov 6, 2015, 7:06 PM

our board is the 1st memory that comes to mind too. Great sportsmanship great memory!

i tried this earlier, Cliff Austin, classmate and friend

Nov 6, 2015, 7:08 PM

Sitting with tears in my eyes as they turned out the lights in the Orange Bowl

Sleeping on the floor with three others in Hollywood FL

Camping out for tickets, that was a blast....might be where this pizza thing came from

Finding a way to get there as a poor student
And cherishing the moment

The ride back was not bad either

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic