Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you ever think we'll join the SEC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Do you ever think we'll join the SEC?

Nov 12, 2018, 2:53 PM

We're vastly superior to every ACC school in football and it's not even close. I honestly think that we will distance ourselves even further in the future. I know this isn't a popular opinion on here but I truly think we belong playing more traditional powers. Games against Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU every week would be very exciting. It's hard to get pumped for teams like Wake, Duke, UNC etc. Plus the Coots would be on suicide watch. It would utterly destroy them if we joined the SEC. I know it's popular to hate on the SEC but the ACC is so bad right now. Maybe it will get better soon. I just feel like we've surpassed anything this conference has to offer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Some of you guys really knee jerk your conference affiliations.

Nov 12, 2018, 2:57 PM

As if we haven’t lost to Syracuse and Pitt in recent years. As if Syracuse didn’t take us to the wire this year. As if FSU, Miami,VT, and many of the other schools won’t ever get back on track. And as if we wouldn’t beat the rest of the SEC like we do the ACC.

null

Re: Do you ever think we'll join the SEC?

Nov 12, 2018, 2:59 PM

We would be vastly superior to everyone in the SEC as well outside of Alabama. Let's not pretend they don't benefit on their rankings just due to conference affiliation. The seperation between UGA, Alabama and the rest of the SEC is just as big as Clemson is with the rest of the ACC.

Bless your heart !!!!***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

no***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

No, Clemson is fine where they’re and

Nov 12, 2018, 3:03 PM

Things can change fast in college football and FSU will be good again.

There is no need to join the SEC.

Nov 12, 2018, 3:03 PM

It wouldn't benefit Clemson. We already sell out the stadium. We have proven we can make it to the Playoffs even though we're in the ACC, even with a loss! We recruit better than most SEC teams now.

Re: There is no need to join the SEC.

Nov 12, 2018, 3:10 PM

Why would we want to be part of the eastern division of the “Sorry Excuse Conference?” We are far better off being the premier program of the ACC. Dabo isn’t leaving any time and nobody should be worried.

Go Tigers ??!!

Nov 12, 2018, 3:04 PM

It cycles. FSU will be back and not sure what’s going on at Miami... but you’d think they’d be periodically good. Not great but good. If ga tech would fire pawl and go pro set offense, they’d actually be ok. Most Of the acc schools are in desperate need to update facilities but imo the schools are happy being a bball conference.

Acc has some great coaches, just need the schools to make it a priority. Va tech, Pitt, BC and Cuse have all had some tradition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

Yeah, but I think it would be fun to beat Tennessee and Florida every year.

Nov 12, 2018, 6:41 PM

Let them leave the sec

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Missouri, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee

Nov 12, 2018, 3:06 PM

None of those match-ups really move the needle for me. I'll stick with the conference we were founding members of.

No......***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:11 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No......***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:12 PM

Hope not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:15 PM

Would love to see it.

nothing is stopping you from joining the SEC***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: nothing is stopping you from joining the SEC***

Nov 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

Not sure what that means but thanks for the input!

Nov 12, 2018, 3:31 PM

You answered your own question. South Carolina did it.

Why would we do anything that the Coots think is a good idea. Why would we ever consider the Coots "peers" again.

If you have a hard time getting pumped for Wake, Duke and UNC.... well then I am curious to whom you interact with on a daily basis. For me, it is about Alumni base overlap. I do not have a lot of SEC alumni around me. My father-in-law is a UGA alum but his daughter went to Clemson ;) I had a cousin go to UT but I don't see them.

Right now, my 3 year old yells "Go Tigers" at my Dook neighbors any time he goes outside.

I work with three FSU alums right now (talk about suicide watch) and I really feel bad about them. Much of my other professional side is NC State Alums. Their "Wolfpack room" now has "41-7" in orange marker on the dry-erase board until basketball season (the next bet). I just did a project favor for a Wake/UNC Grad. Half of my family are hokie-high grads. My mentor is a GT grads... I even know a Pitt guy and a BC supporter. For me, beating my neighbors and co-workers is what matters.

It is good to be a Tiger.

Heck no!!!....in reality SEC not much different

Nov 12, 2018, 3:38 PM

than ACC if you take off the ESecPN colored glasses. SEC has Bama and ACC has Clemson. ESecPN was giddy when the polls overly ranked SEC teams based on head to head matchups and they didn't hesitate to beat the "ACC is down" drum because of LSU vs Miami and Bama vs L'ville.

Well we've come to find out that beating L'ville and FSU doesn't really take a whole lot of effort.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no desire to be associated with a conference where

Nov 12, 2018, 3:42 PM

the fans of individual schools are prouder of the conference logo on their uniform than their team logo.

If you are excited to play Tennessee right now then it is about the unfamiliarity more than the history. They are comparable to our FSU match-up right now. They used to be good, and probably will be again but if you change the name to some school nobody ever cared about then it becomes a meaningless game.

Are you excited about the prospect of playing Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Ole Miss,
or Miss State?

Re: I have no desire to be associated with a conference where

Nov 12, 2018, 3:44 PM

No, but playing Georgia and Florida excites me. Tennessee was once a great program, they'll be good again someday.

It would not Benefit Clemson!

Nov 12, 2018, 5:47 PM

Simple. No.
For What?
Does O 31 O St. want to join the ACC along with ND to make a football juggernaut? No. They are the current king of the land in their jungle. We are the current king in ours and a bunch of other people's too. The difference is; we have to go prove it out of conference usually early in the season or in bowl games now! That's all...…… we already do that!

Oh wait! Oklahoma, LOL! Nah, beat them too from our ACC playing self conference! We good where we are and changing conferences won't change that! We will probably just have to share more revenue with non-hackers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:44 PM

Well, let me think........NO

Eventually the conference will reform...

Nov 12, 2018, 3:54 PM

a 4 team superconference consisting of 16 teams each. At that point the BIG, SEC, ACC and PAC will absorb the Big 12. Clemson will continue to be a part of the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:57 PM

Would not want to change, However I’m sure that the SEC would love to swap South Carolina for Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 3:57 PM

The Bama/Coot conference? No thanks. Clemson is a charter member of the ACC.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Don't wish with something you will regret. Clemson

Nov 12, 2018, 4:13 PM

is not going anywhere unless the ACC for some reason implode. Sure, Clemson is a natural fit in the SEC but Clemson is also a good fit in the ACC. I said no.

And abandon 65 years of being a Charter Member?

Nov 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

Just the thought of that sorta makes me think of uSuCk and them leaving for Academic Eligible reasons. Check out the Football Trophy Case in Columbia it is Empty. We got the SEC network and Finebaum needling us as they get paid to do. But we are starting our own Network next year. But I wonder how the SEC is gonna spin the Basketball teams this year? CRICKETS maybe? We're Good right where we are at!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TIGERS and go ACC!!!!

Nov 12, 2018, 5:27 PM

Ever consider academic standing? The SEC has 1 very good school, Vanderbilt, and 2 farly good schools, Florida and Georgia. The rest are the dregs academically that cannot compare to the weakest ACC school (except, perhaps, for Louisville). Sometimes it makes sense to consider colleges and universities as institutions of nigher learning??.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Assuming ESPN continues controlling college sports

Nov 12, 2018, 5:44 PM

expect the playing field to level significantly as soon as the current round of contracts are ready to expire. The Disney channels no longer have the income to overpay (and over hype) the SEC. They never were the world beaters they were advertised to be and today they are Alabama, 2 or 3 good but not great teams and 10-11 wannabes every year.

Kind of like Clemson and the rest of the ACC. Change is coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2018, 6:12 PM

Good question. Things to consider;

Conference affiliation is more than just football.
Football revenue may one day be a consideration based on future network models.
Basketball, academic excellence, academic collaborations, history, conference goals and mission statements all factor into other revenue and considerations.

No, Academic Reputation of the ACC

Nov 12, 2018, 6:12 PM

is the predominant factor. I do expect Clemson to mimic the Notre Dame model with the ACC at the very least whenever the broadcast rights expire for the conferences.

Nov 12, 2018, 6:19 PM

I believe under current bylaws the SEC schools have the ability to block other teams from joining the conference. Scar and UF would block Clemson and FSU from joining if it was ever on the table.

Also, I'm not sure who you are talking about when you say it is hard to get up for games against Wake, Duke and UNC, etc. There are only 12-15 football games a year so I don't think it's much of an issue to get up for the games for the team or any diehard fans. I couldn't care less if some random person 1000 miles away gets up for our games or not.

I also like the current set up that has been setting us up to play Bama in the playoff each year. If we were in the SEC East then the SEC Championship between us and Bama would be the de facto national championship every year.

No.

Nov 12, 2018, 6:37 PM

Think of how the ACC would be if the Tobacco Road powers cared about controlling football officiating and rules enforcement like they do in basketball.

That's the SEC.

Nov 12, 2018, 6:40 PM

No we have enough travel games that can get expensive. If we could get rid of Miami or bc and pick up some better trams

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic