Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hendon Hooker Situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Hendon Hooker Situation

Dec 6, 2020, 9:52 AM

One word comes to mind to describe what was happening last night...ODD. Nobody on air was talking about it and it appeared the coaching/medical staff was just sweeping it under the rug afterwards. I was immensely worried for the kid even after the game ended.

It looked like Focal Spasticity to me. This can be caused by a brain injury (e.g. concussion). However, I have a hard time believing that the medical staff was unaware of what was happening (and nobody else seemed that worried), so maybe it had something to do with a pre-existing condition.

I saw the article at the beginning of the season where it discussed Hooker has a medical condition that he did not want to disclose to the public but that almost ended his football career. I’m not a medical professional, but if I had to guess, I’m thinking maybe he has some neurological-type disorder like MS. His coordination seemed off immediately before he was taken off and started going into those convulsions on the sideline. Either way, I think the team knows something that we don’t, and him being solely “cold” isn’t the only reason, but perhaps it exacerbated or created the onset of the spasticity.

I hope for the young man’s sake that he’s going to be alright.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's not a cover-up, it's non of our business***

Dec 6, 2020, 9:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Caring for others is always our concern

Dec 6, 2020, 9:58 AM

I did not see that the OP was giving "direction" to the coaching staff - or university - but was sharing a valid concern for a young man who obviously displayed concerning physical issues while standing on the sideline. I was concerned when I saw it, too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I don’t know, I tend to disagree there.

Dec 6, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to it's not a cover-up, it's non of our business*** ]

When it looks like a kid is basically dying on the field, it becomes the network’s / team’s responsibility to assure the public that he’s okay.

I would be surprised if something doesn’t come out about his health within the coming week here.

Re: it's not a cover-up, it's none of our business***

Dec 6, 2020, 10:22 AM [ in reply to it's not a cover-up, it's non of our business*** ]

^^^^
This.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hendon Hooker Situation

Dec 6, 2020, 10:00 AM

yeah I was concerned with the shaking. when they checked him out and then brought him back on sideline I was hoping they satisfied themselves it wasnt serious. Powell's microscopic twitch for a penalty was much less than what Hooker was having.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 10:18 AM

I thought it was some type of anxiety attack at first then it went on for a while. So idk I’m not a medical professional.

Definitely did not seem he was getting the medical attention he

Dec 6, 2020, 10:19 AM

needed. The teammates that were talking with him didn’t seem concerned either. I hope he is OK.

It was reported on here last night he had a punctured lung.

Dec 6, 2020, 10:25 AM

Don't know how accurate that is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I Hope He Is Doing Better ---

Dec 6, 2020, 10:58 AM

At first I'm thinking how cold is it...because this guy is shivering more than anybody out there. Then I'm like his blood must have really thinned out because he is still shaking and shivering and he needs to go get warm real quick.

It didn't look good....and I'm with ETN .....I hate cold weather or being cold at all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 11:27 AM

My money is on sickle cell disease or sickle cell trait combined with early stages of hypothermia. Not many neurological diseases that can cause that level of tremoring but also allow you to play power 5 college football. Hope the kid is alright. Burmeister too. The Hokies were putting up a heck of a fight with their starting guy in the game. Would have been much closer if everyone stayed healthy.

Dec 6, 2020, 12:49 PM

The mind boggling piece for me is that he took off like a plane down the field and almost got to Kendrick before he scored on the scoop and score. He looked fine but then took a drastic turn when he went to the sideline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 1:05 PM

he looked cold and battered to me sitting on the sideline. No way to know for sure if he had a punctured lung without taking him to the hospital for a chest xray, at which point he would not have returned.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does not have MS. HTH***

Dec 6, 2020, 1:19 PM

MS does not start acutely in the middle of a football game. I wondered about hypothermia and then they announced the punctured lung. It was scary looking. No doubt.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

"muscle spasms and a couple of other things not mentioned"

Dec 6, 2020, 1:23 PM

https://twitter.com/gobblercountry/status/1335563494779916288

Re: "muscle spasms and a couple of other things not mentioned"

Dec 6, 2020, 6:28 PM

Reminded me of when I got very cold once in Greenville. It’s was snow on the ground and I started shivering and jerking uncontrollably like Hendon was
Just had to wait it out but it lasted about 30 minutes even after I got inside
My heart was aching for him. Thought Fuente should a total lack of compassion for him in his comments

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 2:08 PM

Agree it was odd but I would say it absolutely was not a punctured lung. He would have to have been immediately removed from the field and taken to a hospital for a chest tube insertion to reinflate the lung. That’s not a quick fix.
Hypothermia is a possibility and so are neurological disorders. VT dorms that’s to release personal health information, but at least have a medical official reassure everyone he was either alright or receiving appropriate care. So bizarre to show him on camera with no follow up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where was Maria Taylor?

Dec 6, 2020, 3:04 PM

I thought the sideline reporter was supposed to track that stuff down. Seems the only "reporting" she did all night was get the first name of the grounds-crew guy that shut off the inadvertent sprinkler.

He definitely looked like electrical signals were misfiring

Dec 6, 2020, 6:40 PM

from his brain. He did get kind of accordion squashed by Murphy on the play he went out of the game on. I was hoping they were taking him back to the locker room area for neck X-rays. Hope he truly is ok going forward, it sure looked abnormal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic