Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dumbest coach hire ever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Dumbest coach hire ever

Oct 13, 2020, 10:00 AM

12 years today, Clemson hired a never done anything coach as it’s interim head coach. What a stupid move.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dumbest coach hire ever- Pat Forde's D- hire remark

Oct 13, 2020, 10:04 AM

will live forever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we?

Oct 13, 2020, 10:17 AM

https://www.espn.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&sportCat=ncf&id=3777520

Clemson. The hire: Swinney, who was recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach until Tommy Bowden was whacked in midseason. The grade: D-plus.
Swinney was part and parcel of a failed season, but somehow got a promotion out of the deal. Who knew that beating Duke and Virginia could lead to such ample rewards? Clemson fans loved the fact that the Tigers closed the regular season by beating rival South Carolina. But hey, Bowden beat the Gamecocks seven times in nine tries and look where that got him. Swinney has the same thing going for him that Sarkisian has at Washington: the in-conference competition in the ACC isn't that stiff.

I also love how he not only graded Auburn's Gene Chizik hire a "F", he goes on to say "this has the makings of the worst hire in SEC history." 2 Years later Auburn would be an Undefeated National Champion with the Heisman Trophy Winner on a 17 game win streak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

and if i remember correctly the big names at the time were

Oct 13, 2020, 10:37 AM

Will Muschamp, Lane Kiffen, and Gary Patterson. Everyone wanted Will Muschamp he was the next Bear Bryant..at least thats what i was told.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and if i remember correctly the big names at the time were

Oct 13, 2020, 11:57 AM

I think we did interview a young upcoming coordinator named Brent Venables as well. Not sure what that guy's up to now.

Re: lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we?

Oct 13, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we? ]

Beating USC didn’t get Bowden anything losing to Wake got him what he needed .

I actually don't disagree with either of his points

Oct 13, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we? ]

It's pretty unfair to go back and critique his grades using only hindsight. The information available at the time has to be considered pretty heavily.

Dabo - Lets be honest here... only a small group of Clemson fans even thought Dabo was a good hire. I don't think a single person outside of Clemson thought it was. Plain and simple, Dabo really didn't have the qualifications to be the HC at Clemson even at that point in time where Clemson was more of a fringe top 25 program than a football power.

I wasn't upset about the hire like many, many Clemson fans were, but i certainly wasn't excited by it either. It's worked out spectacularly well, but the group of interim coaches promoted to HC that have really succeeded is now sitting at two: Dabo and Orgeron, and for quite some time it was literally just Dabo.

Gene Chizik - Chizik went 3-9 and 2-10 in his two seasons at Iowa State before being hired away to Auburn. Chew on that for a minute. A coach with a 5-19 record got hired by a program just a few years removed from an undefeated season.

I'm really not sure what is more remarkable; that he somehow fell ### backwards into a title at Auburn or that he managed to go 3-9 just two seasons after winning one. Based on overall coaching resume, i think it's pretty obvious that the 2010 season was the extreme outlier and the 2-10 / 3-9 seasons are more indicative of Gene's true coaching acumen. Right now he probably has the distinction of being the worst coach to ever win a national title.

Re: I actually don't disagree with either of his points

Oct 13, 2020, 9:42 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong it wasn’t Danny Ford interim coach after Charlie Pell left and was named the head coach after the 1978 Gator Bowl? I could be wrong but I thought that was the story

He's a real nostradumbarse!

Oct 13, 2020, 2:21 PM [ in reply to lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we? ]

Looking for a donkey emoji but can't find one............

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we? ]

jtiger1® said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&sportCat=ncf&id=3777520

Clemson. The hire: Swinney, who was recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach until Tommy Bowden was whacked in midseason. The grade: D-plus.
Swinney was part and parcel of a failed season, but somehow got a promotion out of the deal. Who knew that beating Duke and Virginia could lead to such ample rewards? Clemson fans loved the fact that the Tigers closed the regular season by beating rival South Carolina. But hey, Bowden beat the Gamecocks seven times in nine tries and look where that got him. Swinney has the same thing going for him that Sarkisian has at Washington: the in-conference competition in the ACC isn't that stiff.

I also love how he not only graded Auburn's Gene Chizik hire a "F", he goes on to say "this has the makings of the worst hire in SEC history." 2 Years later Auburn would be an Undefeated National Champion with the Heisman Trophy Winner on a 17 game win streak.

In all fairness Chizik proved to be a terrible hire. Cam Newton on the other hand was not a terrible hire.

Pat Forde = The Toilet Bowl The Morning After

Oct 13, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we? ]

Mexican Buffet

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pat Forde = The Toilet Bowl The Morning After

Oct 13, 2020, 8:17 PM

Morning??? I race home after the check is paid!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2020, 8:35 PM [ in reply to lol. Lets revisit that article, shall we? ]

Its obvious the scumbag who wrote this article was pushing for Turner Gill because he hates all those white coaches getting hired. Of course Turner Gill turned out to not be worth a #### either and was out of coaching entirely a few years later. Scumbag leftists only care about race, especially ESPN scumbag leftists.

All In

Oct 13, 2020, 10:08 AM

indeed

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Dumbest coach hire ever

Oct 13, 2020, 10:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what TigerNet looked like on Oct 14, the day after...

Oct 13, 2020, 10:11 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://web.archive.org/web/20081014022524/http://www.tigernet.com/

Notice one of the posts on the Tiger Bored: "Dabo seems like a great coach, but I still want Muschamp" hahahaha

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=608433" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://web.archive.org/web/20171012170015/http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=608433

Way to go MikeCH06

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Here's what TigerNet looked like on Oct 14, the day after...

Oct 13, 2020, 10:29 AM

I would rate Petrino’s hiring at UL as one of the dumbest hires ever. A middle aged Coach with a proven track record of no morals and a University offers him a job to mentor boys turning into men? I still can’t believe it.

Hiring Bo Pellini for anything is also pretty bad.***

Oct 13, 2020, 11:54 AM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

LOL.

Oct 13, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Here's what TigerNet looked like on Oct 14, the day after... ]

Message board posts (along with some articles from “journalists”) from that time period should scroll on a big video display in the football facility.

Great example of how it pays off to believe in yourself and do your job...and not listen to idiots who don’t know anything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good dig bob!***

Oct 13, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Here's what TigerNet looked like on Oct 14, the day after... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's what TigerNet looked like on Oct 14, the day after...

Oct 13, 2020, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Here's what TigerNet looked like on Oct 14, the day after... ]

Don't try to slip anything past Bob!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought you were talking about when South Carolina........

Oct 13, 2020, 10:32 AM

hired Sparky Lyle, or Will Muschamp, or basically any former head coach of theirs (except for the once in a blue moon success story like Steve Spurrier).

Re: I thought you were talking about when South Carolina........

Oct 13, 2020, 11:03 AM

Sparky Woods isn’t it?

Yes, of course - my memory fails me sometimes.***

Oct 13, 2020, 11:14 AM

Sparky Lyle was a relief pitcher if my memory serves me

Oct 13, 2020, 11:43 AM

correct.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sparky Lyle was a relief pitcher if my memory serves me

Oct 13, 2020, 2:29 PM

U R RIGHT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've said it before and I will say it again....

Oct 13, 2020, 11:07 AM

I was among those who were not happy about the Dabo hire.

That said, I will freely admit that I've never been so happy to be so wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 13, 2020, 11:24 AM

Can’t reason somebody would want Muscoot? He’s perfect at chicken U because he’s a .500 losing coach at best, even with great recruits at Florida and Chicken U. He recruited pretty good at both but great at the gators and .500 at best.

He has made losing and interviews after losing an art. It’s never his fault, it’s always on how the players did. He can talk up a 25 point lose like they almost won. Just got to get it corrected, spurs up except for the hen out by the stadium.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

the fsu hiring of willie taggart

Oct 13, 2020, 11:34 AM

has to rank up there

Re: the fsu hiring of willie taggart

Dabo promotion/hire ranks up there as one of the greatest in house coaching hires ever made by a University. I would compare it favorably to UNC's hiring of Dean Smith.

In 1961 the stylish and flamboyant Frank McGuire suddenly left UNC to coach Philadelphia in the NBA. The school, looking to deemphasize basketball, decided to promote McGuire's obscure 30 year old assistant coach Dean Smith as the team's head coach. Pretty decent move.

Re: the fsu hiring of willie taggart

Oct 13, 2020, 8:14 PM

Dean Smith was a defensive genius the only man to hold MJ under 30 points a game.

Charleston Tom on here - seemed like CONSTANT harping

about what an IDIOT move it was - we shouldn't have to provide "on the job training" and on and on and on . . .

You could count on him posting about what a poor hiring choice it was after anything bad happened for about Dabo's first 3 to 4 years.

CharlestonTom®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 13, 2020, 12:07 PM

I remember a lot of people talked of wanting to replace him during our losing streak to South Carolina as well. A lot of those people brought up how even Bowden managed to beat them on a regular basis. I always found it interesting how those people didn't factor in that Bowden wasn't going up against 9 and 10 win Spurrier teams during his time.

Oct 13, 2020, 8:10 PM

When I saw Dabo's Presser after he was hired and said that he had never failed in anything he had ever done. I believe him.

Oct 13, 2020, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Dumbest coach hire ever ]

I was not happy with the loses to the Game chickens either. It was hard listening to them fear the thumb but now they fear the little toe.

One of the best moves Clemson ever made - THANKS DABO***

Oct 13, 2020, 2:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People in the know knew he was the best

Oct 13, 2020, 8:02 PM

recruiter we'd had. And those people also knew we desperately needed two things.

A better coach and better "Jimmy and Joes."

They knew we'd get the "Jimmy and Joes" with him. They hoped we'd get the coach also.

Hatfield or West have to rank up there.

Oct 13, 2020, 10:13 PM

I'm just saying................

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 6:22 AM

THANK YOU TERRY DON.......

By this logic

Oct 14, 2020, 8:50 AM

Willie Taggart was the best hire Florida State ever made.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whether it be Dumb Luck, Divine Intervention, or

Oct 14, 2020, 9:29 AM

something in between those two extremes, no doubt Terry Don Phillips hit the Grand Slam of all Grand Slams with the Dabo Swinney hire. AND for keeping the faith after the 2010 season, TDP deserves his own statue standing right behind Dabo when the time comes.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic