Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
its astounding to me how my friends in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

its astounding to me how my friends in

Dec 9, 2020, 8:08 PM

rural and suburban SC, even now, think COVID is a hoax or not much different from the flu or a cold (and this is despite any education disparities); and my friends from urban South or other areas of the country are able to actually read empirical data and understand what it means.

Seriously, ### is wrong with you people?? are you waiting for your Granny to die of COVID before you think COVID is a real? I don't get it. And, please, don't claim to be Christian. At bottom, you can't be a Christian if you're actively, personally endangering your neighbor's life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds to me like you're a LIBTARD

Dec 9, 2020, 8:12 PM

:)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that Ben and Jerry's...?***

Dec 10, 2020, 5:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: its astounding to me how my friends in

Dec 9, 2020, 8:27 PM

For over 99% of the people that get it, it is exactly like a flu or cold...or much less. So deadly, many people would never know they had it, if not for free testing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Found him

Dec 9, 2020, 8:30 PM

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1336138060954816513?s=19

Statistically, he is correct. Therefore, your problem with

Dec 9, 2020, 11:00 PM

him must be that you think he is going off on a perceived narrative you don't like. But you don't know that. All you do know, or should, is that what he said is correct.

Isn't science about courageously accepting the data one has, so effective action can be taken? Isn't treating everyone the same exposing at risk people needlessly? Isn't relying on devices that have been proven to be ineffective causing us to spread the disease? The answers are yes.

Or, what about his post is incorrect? Not a rant in response, no name calling. What about his post is incorrect?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not according to Table 1 on this CDC chart

Dec 9, 2020, 11:53 PM

I’m sorry if you don’t trust the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Okay. What is the number? You tell me, from that chart.***

Dec 10, 2020, 1:11 AM

Oh, okay, I'll give you a hint: You're reading the chart wrong. That chart doesn't address his post. Its not a matter of what charts one believes, but whether one can read it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well you can gather some data from that table

Dec 10, 2020, 5:05 AM

according to that chart

261,530 deaths involved covid
405,454 deaths involved covid, pneumonia or influenza

which means

143,924 deaths from pneumonia or influenza

so covid is 1.8 times more deadly than pneumonia and influenza combined

but that number is rising because deaths are rising so quickly.

From worldometer there have been 15,821,363 cases and 296,715 deaths or a death rate of 1.9%

Using only death as a criteria, you could argue that for 98% it is like the flu but a lot more people are going to the hospital than they do for the flu.

Hospitalization rates are running at about 15% from the CDC.

Using that criteria, you could argue that for 85% of the population this is the flu.

Some people do get hospitalized from the flu and die from the flu, but the he was insinuating that for 99% of the people it was just a sickness and not death, which is baseless and false.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even still, the picture is incomplete

Dec 10, 2020, 9:07 AM

And we won’t really know the true mortality rate til we go through a full season.

“The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, the vast majority of people do not yet have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu.”

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Excellent. Pointed. But it doesn't address what the poster

Dec 10, 2020, 12:58 PM [ in reply to well you can gather some data from that table ]

said. Not your fault. The respondent sent us to Chart 1, and that is what you did. Great

But the poster was referring to the effect on the people who got the virus. The chart doesn't address that.

All I am pointing out is that the poster is basically right. For almost all who get this, its not a big deal. It is a very big deal for a few. Our response should, imo, be designed by starting there. Applying a universal response, built in large part around a device that has been proven to be ineffective, has us where we are.

To respond to the that poster with "You're wrong" or "You can't care about old people" is just repeating a narrative, and a false one. You didn't do that. Others did.

Dec 9, 2020, 8:28 PM

Can you please tell us how many people you know that have died and what pre-existing conditions they may have had?

Dec 9, 2020, 8:33 PM

Dear loved ones with preexisting conditions,
You deserve to die. Wearing a mask and not going to crowded bars was too much to ask from me. #OTSS

NC

Dec 9, 2020, 8:42 PM

Show the data on bars causing deaths.

You'll just find another excuse

Dec 9, 2020, 8:49 PM

but
https://www.nrn.com/operations/nearly-14-washington-dc-covid-19-outbreaks-linked-restaurants-and-bars-dc-contact-tracing

All day

Dec 9, 2020, 9:08 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/covid-19-data-restaurants-outdoor-dining/8235279

Saved. Thanks. We are living in 1984, where truth is

Dec 9, 2020, 10:46 PM

culturally determined.

- All randomized tests show masks do not slow the spread of infection.
- No such test has shown that they do.
- Evidence from outbreak tracing cannot isolate masks or non compliance as the factor (your link as example).
- States with the most mask compliance are having some of the heaviest outbreaks.
- Even mask manufacturers will not claim that use inhibits the spread of infection.

The mask / anti mask cultural war has to stop. The fact that people are relying on a device that does not provide the protection they think is bad enough: what is really dangerous is that it keeps us from determining what we should actually be doing.

This became way too political too early, and many pro maskers are emotionally invested in blaming Trump for this, so they can't turn loose of the mask deal, even when all evidence shows mask compliance is not a driving factor.

I was never even contacted for tracing

Dec 9, 2020, 10:50 PM

or for any other reason. Got the positive form the doctor and just kept my routine. No one ever contacted me.

It’s all horseshiiit

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope your coach friend feeling better***

Dec 9, 2020, 10:53 PM

Do you think 13.8% is high? Of the 24000 cases in DC, this

Dec 10, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to You'll just find another excuse ]

says 3000 of them were caused by bars/restaurants. Would you shut down these businesses so DC would only have 21K cases instead of 24K?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absolutely not

Dec 10, 2020, 6:45 PM

I'd publish the data and let people decide for themselves. I want to help businesses that are struggling due to an overbearing government. If it means taking a little extra chance eating out, I'm all for it. I'm extra careful wash my hand more use sanitizer during the meal and washing up afterwards as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people with preexisting conditions had it coming, right?

Dec 9, 2020, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: its astounding to me how my friends in ]

it would be better if they die and decrease the surplus population

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you, even if it does seem rather cold

Dec 10, 2020, 6:49 PM

Its a perfect example of natural selection that has been going on for over half a billion years and really 3.5 billion years. It just took a really long time to go from a simple cell to multi cellular growth.

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did

Dec 9, 2020, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Re: its astounding to me how my friends in ]

for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"

Literal mouth breathers***

Dec 9, 2020, 8:49 PM

Aren’t we all?

Dec 9, 2020, 9:12 PM

I mean, sure, we all prefer the nice feeling of nose hair filtering the very air entering out lungs, but we all get colds. Let he who has not taken a mouth breath cast the first stone I say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nose hair waxing is the future

Dec 9, 2020, 9:19 PM

get in on it now

You’re a jogger aren’t you?***

Dec 9, 2020, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Aren’t we all? ]

Not @ me but I run

Dec 9, 2020, 9:36 PM

almost everyday. I see people with a mask and I get into the street. Even people without a mask I get into the street or go a different route to stay away. Everyone does this around my area. It’s just common knowledge.

I have had one person (very obese) yell at me for running without a mask and I was in the street as she was on the sidewalk. I just kept running. No need to engage at all.

This whole idea that people are no wearing masks and we all know dozens of people who think it’s fake is all BS and just posturing. But you do you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re a cross fitter, aren’t you?***

Dec 9, 2020, 9:42 PM

I wish man. I wish.

Dec 9, 2020, 9:46 PM

I am a bean pole with an ever so growing IPA knot in the middle. ??

Re: I wish man. I wish.

Dec 10, 2020, 2:08 PM

nobody cares

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought mask and social distancing work?

Dec 9, 2020, 8:56 PM

If so then no one who wears a mask and social distances is exposed to this virus therfor no one can endanger another by not wearing a mask for to each his own mask and space. Are we required to allow someone near us or are we by law forbidden to wear mask to 'protect us?'

I'd also point out that it's not possible to get true herd immunity if we continue to avoid contact with one another. I am not proposing liplocks on the street corner to 'get this over with.' I wear a mask and keep myself out of the paths of others.

What I am saying is that your post is illogical and unfounded in fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing

Dec 9, 2020, 9:06 PM

primarily help prevent spreading, not contracting. Unless you were a person with a pantry full of a years worth of supplies, you have necessarily come into contact with others.

i've spoken with many - far too many - in SC who think its all a hoax and so they don't distance or wear a mask EVER.

Re: you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing

Dec 9, 2020, 9:14 PM

I will not defend anyone thinking that the virus is a hoax. I believe that perhaps as many as 25-30% of the deaths listed as covid may be from other causes not related to covid or pre-existing conditions but it's clear, if you are a certain age with certain medical issues then this virus can take your life.

Imo, this is a simple thinning of the herd for those who refuse to recognize the seriousness of the virus and neglect to protect themselves. However, I take responsibility to protect myself at great length.

THis is too easy, stay away from others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing

Dec 9, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing ]

primarily help prevent spreading, not contracting. Unless you were a person with a pantry full of a years worth of supplies, you have necessarily come into contact with others.

i've spoken with many - far too many - in SC who think its all a hoax and so they don't distance or wear a mask EVER.

Correct Alex. It’s really cool what a little Google search can do to grant COVID skeptics an MD degree. For those of you who think this is a lot of hype, please let someone else take your vaccine when you’re up. Please be consistent.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lying POS***

Dec 9, 2020, 9:31 PM [ in reply to you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

You ain't foolin' this one, Alex! He's onto ya!***

Dec 9, 2020, 9:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No you have not. That is a lie

Dec 9, 2020, 9:32 PM [ in reply to you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing ]

and you are posturing on a message board to win an argument. Get out of here and post a thread about starting a needless war

I will pay you real money for every randomized test

Dec 9, 2020, 10:54 PM [ in reply to you've got it wrong. masks and social distancing ]

showing that masks slow the spread of infection. I do not mean an observational survey being presented under the banner of "test" or "study". I do not mean observations of activities that fail to isolate cause/effect. I mean an actual scientific, controlled and randomized study that isolates the effect of mask wearing vs no mask, that show that the mask wearing slows the spread.

I was going to offer you $10,000 for every test you find that does so, if you give me $1000 for every one that that shows the negative. But that's cheating, because I already know the answer. Its a dozen or more to zero. But show me one.

Your claim needs to be amended to: distancing slows the spread. That one is true. Buying by the culturally approved mask narrative is causing people to rely on something that doesn't work, with the obvious danger, but worse, is causing us to not consider and adopt things that do.

come on now

Dec 10, 2020, 5:12 AM

arguing that masks dont help slow the spread of disease is like arguing for a flat earth. You believe the earth if flat and there is no changing your mind.

If a mask stops viral load from leaving my body then it lowers the risk of infection to others. Some of the virus may be on droplets are are small enough to get through the mask, but most of the droplets are too large to get through the mask. The better the mask the less the transmission.

Common sense is not very common.

Re: I thought mask and social distancing work?

Dec 9, 2020, 9:11 PM [ in reply to I thought mask and social distancing work? ]

Well the only true way to keep from getting it is to have on a hazmat suite covering ears, nose, eyes and mouth. Then only use it one time and be careful how you remove everything. I see everyone getting it unless the vaccine works. I have been wearing a mask since late Jan. China is to blame and has made a lot of money and head way toward their world domination which is their plan. Oh ya it's Trump's fault

you are correct about CHINA. Why are we (USA and the WEST)

Dec 9, 2020, 9:18 PM

giving them a pass on this?? I don't get it. China is the worst actor in the world on ever issue.

Re: you are correct about CHINA. Why are we (USA and the WEST)

Dec 9, 2020, 9:24 PM

To many politicians are in their pocket. What China does in Africa is go into a country build roads and power plants then when that country cannot pay then they hold them for ransom. It's part of there game plan. China had the WHO tell everyone don't worry be happy about the Wuhan flu while China bought up the world supply of PPE. They will get a pass on this you can count of it and I assume it is just the beginning because this has worked out well for them so far.

Re: you are correct about CHINA. Why are we (USA and the WEST)

Dec 9, 2020, 9:26 PM

So, conservativealex thinks those of us in rural SC just aren’t as smart as urban people. Lol. Ok.

I can't speak for him

Dec 9, 2020, 10:06 PM

But I can tell you from having lived in multiple states and working with folks (working remotely) with folks all over the country South Carolina mask usage and general compliance with social distancing (at least in my anecdotal experience) lags well behind most others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing like stealing The World Bank gameplan... Old hat.

Dec 10, 2020, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Re: you are correct about CHINA. Why are we (USA and the WEST) ]

Jus' axx those Axis of Evil countries on the sanctions...

my wife treats covid patients

Dec 10, 2020, 5:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I thought mask and social distancing work? ]

and does not wear hazmat suits. She is really good about infection control. Her company had her treat the first covid patients at a clinic that she normally didn't work in because they trusted her to make sure protections were in place.

What she finds hard is that after months and months it is difficult to stay vigilant. Cases are much higher in her clinics than they have ever been and some of the staff is out due to infection which means more and longer days which makes it harder to stay vigilant.

It's tough, they lose a couple more nurses to covid and there isn't much they can do. It's a very specialized nursing so you can't just hire people. It takes months to train. They have to have the correct experience and there aren't many extras out there.

Dec 9, 2020, 10:37 PM

rural and suburban SC, even now, think COVID is a hoax or not much different from the flu or a cold (and this is despite any education disparities); and my friends from urban South or other areas of the country are able to actually read empirical data and understand what it means.

Seriously, ### is wrong with you people?? are you waiting for your Granny to die of COVID before you think COVID is a real? I don't get it. And, please, don't claim to be Christian. At bottom, you can't be a Christian if you're actively, personally endangering your neighbor's life.

Learn how to use TNet

Dec 9, 2020, 10:38 PM

thanks

Re: Learn how to use TNet

Dec 10, 2020, 4:31 AM

It’s funny to me how people think going to “crowded bars and restaurants” is the cause. You could also argue that the virus increase simultaneously started with I don’t know.... Every public and private school in America opening back up ? That is the number one place to go if you want to get sick right? Geez people!

Dec 10, 2020, 6:32 AM

You can blame Trump, Rush Limbaugh, etc, for that.

I don't understand the people that are calling it a hoax

Dec 10, 2020, 8:31 AM

and I am not looking it up

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

what makes it a hoax is that it is blown out of proportion

Dec 10, 2020, 6:41 PM

most people that call it a hoax know that it is deadly, but it is like a real bad flu. It is nothing like Ebola, or SARS or MERS.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic