Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sad that Clemson doesn't
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Sad that Clemson doesn't

May 17, 2015, 1:23 PM

Have a softball team. Just saw that the best pitcher in the country, #5 LSU's ace is from Clemson, SC. Our state is full of a lot of talent, I wish we had a team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sad that Clemson doesn't

May 17, 2015, 1:53 PM

Hoover is the daughter of our former volleyball coach.

May 17, 2015, 5:15 PM

Also the Great Grand daughter of the man that invented
the Hoover vacuum cleaner.Also President Herbert Hoover's
Great, Great Uncle.

Message was edited by: irmotig®

Message was edited by: irmotig®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sad that Clemson doesn't- how does she

May 17, 2015, 2:18 PM

transfer from Stanford in August of 14 and not have to sit out all this year. I enjoy watching here but not sure I get how that deal works

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2015, 4:01 PM

Apparently, she suffered an injury early last year and because she had only played in four games, she was granted a medical redshirt and did not have to sit out a year. I was confused, too, but that's what the article about her transfer said.

May 17, 2015, 4:09 PM

thanks nikki. I figured there was something to allow that but couldn't imagine what unless she was on an academic scholarship or something

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure non-revenue sports have free transfer***

May 18, 2015, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Sad that Clemson doesn't- how does she ]

^^ This is the correct answer.***

May 19, 2015, 12:39 PM

May 17, 2015, 5:48 PM

...didnt get to beat scar a few moe games this season.

problem is $, why don't you finance it***

May 17, 2015, 8:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

get drad on the phone.***

May 17, 2015, 8:27 PM

May 17, 2015, 9:39 PM

I sure wish we had one also!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson

May 17, 2015, 10:09 PM

I know it is cost of funding another women's sport, but we have women's rowing & diving?? What the heck? How many high schools in the state have rowing or diving? And apparently, we have diving, but not swimming. Drop the diving & the rowing, and add softball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson

May 17, 2015, 10:11 PM

MONEY

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 17, 2015, 10:13 PM

and where would you put it. and it is as boring as watching paint dry

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2015, 8:45 AM

says a guy from YORK, s.c. ! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2015, 8:49 AM

I know where I'm from, Clover, SC, we have about 4 girls going to play D1 softball and are playing in the state championship this week. 2 of those 4 I know for a fact would go to clemson if we had a team. I'm not trying to get into the politics of the situation, was just saying it would be cool to have a team. I bet more people especially students would go to a softball game instead of a rowing match(?).

May 18, 2015, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson ]

WHERE YOU FROM COOT.

Leadcoot lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

May 18, 2015, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson ]

May 19, 2015, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson ]

Says a coot from wofford

May 19, 2015, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson ]

It's not boring

Money seems to be what the fanbase says is holding it back..

May 17, 2015, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson ]

But doesn't that just make you kinda go "Wuh??" considering the 60+million we are putting into facility upgrades(Which I'm all for)? Granted if not for press overcoverage of said upgrades then yeah I could get on board with the it's about the money. But in the end it's up to the Clemson directors to decide on what is good for Clemson and not us opinionated fans.

Re: Money seems to be what the fanbase says is holding it back..

May 26, 2019, 1:05 AM

Actually their job is to manage money and put it where fans want good teams.

Maybe if you start a softball campaign and raise enough money, we'll get a softball team.

null

May 17, 2015, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Every high school in the state has softball, why not Clemson ]

its not just $$$ and/or the fact we don't have a place for them to play (where EXACTLY would you put a stadium?). we all rerady had the lake. and rowing uses up a bunch of ships.. softball is in the 14-15 range,i believe. we needed the higher number of ships for gender equity/title 9 stuff. plus, the athltetic dept has done numerous student surveys.. and softball gets very little interest fro mthe student body.

Thumbs up and 100% Agree

May 17, 2015, 11:24 PM

Now what schools in ACC have softball teams?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thumbs up and 100% Agree

May 18, 2015, 7:04 AM

I know UNC & FSU just by watching ESPN this weekend. Looks like the SEC is running the show though. They have ALOT of teams in regionals, they might have every team represented

Clemson, Duke, Miami, and Wake are...

May 18, 2015, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Thumbs up and 100% Agree ]

the only ACC schools that do not have a softball program. All others (good or bad) have a softball program.

Re: Clemson, Duke, Miami, and Wake are...

May 18, 2015, 12:56 PM

And Duke just announced I believe it was two weeks ago that they were starting a division 1 program. So that just leaves 3 without.

<Sigh> Didn't we just discuss this

May 18, 2015, 7:42 AM

A. There isn't enough talent to field one competitive major conference team, much less two, in South Carolina. The talent is getting better but we are probably 10 years away from that really changing. This state hung on to slow pitch at the youth level for far too long and it's put us behind when it comes to player development. Just peruse the rosters of the in-state DI softball programs and you will see the the vast majority of players come from out of state.

B. Calling it expensive to start a softball program from scratch would be an understatement. You are looking at at least $10 million just to build a stadium, and probably more than that because due to Title IX it has to be comparable to Doug Kingsmore.

C. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread and hundreds of times on this board.....we have a rowing team because with Lake Hartwell adjacent to campus rowing is an extremely inexpensive way for us to provide women's scholarships to offset the 85 we use for football.

D. If we were going to start a new sport I imagine that women's lacrosse would be the one added next since the overhead costs for a facility would be non-existent with Riggs Field.

Re: <Sigh> Didn't we just discuss this

May 18, 2015, 9:19 AM

you dont have a clue. go to a softball field near you. there is plenty of talent, but would not recruit just sc. i see the talent every weekend so get some facts. B,C,AND D are valid points but a school like Clemson could and should have softball.

Re: <Sigh> Didn't we just discuss this

May 18, 2015, 11:14 AM

> you dont have a clue. go to a softball field near
> you. there is plenty of talent, but would not recruit
> just sc. i see the talent every weekend so get some
> facts. B,C,AND D are valid points but a school like
> Clemson could and should have softball.

Why should Clemson have softball? No one's really said any legitimate reason besides LSU having one pitcher from Clemson and another guy saying he knows a few girls getting D-I scholarships elsewhere. Of course, I'm also being VERY generous calling those "reasons" anything close to "legitimate."

same reason to have any sports team. give students

May 18, 2015, 11:37 AM

Who don't have the greatest grades or financial support a chance at an education And at the same time provide entertainment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No, YOU don't have a clue

May 18, 2015, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: <Sigh> Didn't we just discuss this ]

I first got started coaching fastpitch softball 18 years ago when our recreational league was the first in the state to switch to fastpitch only. In that time I have coached at the rec level, travel ball level (including three state championships in various sanctioning bodies), and high school JV level. For the past decade I have served as a tournament director for one of the largest high school varsity invitational tournaments in the state where we draw not only some of the top teams in SC but surrounding states as well. It's not often that I can say this but I feel VERY confident I have a higher than average knowledge of this subject.

Re: No, YOU don't have a clue

May 19, 2015, 9:23 AM

Good for you.We can talk about credentials, but I'm more concerned about the girls playing in this state that could and would go to Clemson if they offered softball. There is plenty of talent, coach them and coach against them, and options without putting $10 MILLION? into a facility in the beginning. Just like to see our university offer opportunities. My daughter wont be able to attend Clemson where she wants to go unless she gives it up.

You still don't get it

May 22, 2015, 2:42 AM

I'm one of the biggest fans to Clemson adding softball there is. I love fastpitch softball. I dream of the day we see orange and purple in Oklahoma City.

But I am also a realist. I know that it is going to cost us a small fortune to start a program. I know that due to Title IX we are going to have to spend at minimum $10 million on a stadium because of Doug Kingsmore. I know that because the in-state talent level is where it currently is we are going to have to go out of state for the bulk of our roster in order to be competitive and because of that the same limitations that people talk about with baseball it is going to lead to us having to settle for lesser talent. I know that because of our current fundraising efforts the expense of adding softball means we are going to have to cut back elsewhere. Where are we willing to cut back to add what will be a money losing sport?

The talent level in South Carolina at this time simply isn't enough to support even one major DI program. If it were then the coots would have more South Carolina players on their roster since they are the only major conference team in this state. Every DI team and unless I missed one all but one DII team (Pretty sure Erskine is the only SC majority roster) in this state has to go out of state for the majority of their roster. It's getting better, but because the state hung on to slow pitch for so long we are probably a generation away from being where we need to be.

When I started coaching the only female coaches with fast pitch experience were from out of state. The men either played fast pitch or grew up in baseball, and while it seems like the same game there are significant differences. With the male coaches they probably did far more harm than good because of the fact that the drills they made the girls do centered on the upper body where males have a huge advantage over females and dismissed the lower body where females excel. We are at the point in this state where we are getting more of our own female coaches and specialty instructors who were brought up in the women's fast pitch game out there, but it's still a work in process and it's going to take time.

Do we as a state produce one or two high level DI level players each year? Sure we do, and it's more than we did I first started coaching and we were amazed when the state produced one. We still have a long way to go before SC produces enough talent to justify Clemson spending the amount of money it would require to field a softball team.

No thanks

May 18, 2015, 7:47 AM

Just keep us legal for Title IX and I'm good. We should be investing more in football, men's basketball.

Men's baseball is a money loser as well. But if you go strict by the numbers, it's a sport we could drop.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Baseball used to pretty much break even

May 18, 2015, 1:31 PM

but since ticket sales have gone down that has changed.

Re: Baseball used to pretty much break even

May 18, 2015, 1:36 PM

ticket sales have not gone down very much. still have pretty much the same amount of season ticket holders, which is the key.

Then I'm not sure what has changed

May 18, 2015, 1:56 PM

maybe we're spending more on baseball than we used to, but I'm pretty sure I saw an expenditure breakdown a couple of years ago that showed baseball essentially breaking even, and then a more recent one that showed it losing money.

or a wasslin team ..or a swim team. . rugby team

May 18, 2015, 7:53 AM

Equestrian team, gymnastics team. .etc.

GOtta be grateful for what you do have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 18, 2015, 8:30 AM

So what sport would you like to see cut in order to field a team?

I think it's a little embarrassing, personally,

May 18, 2015, 2:22 PM

That we don't have one. I don't know where some of you people live but I live right here in little ol Six Mile South Carolina and softball is huge here as well as anywhere you go in the upstate. There is money to build a stadium, we are getting ready to build a $61 million coaches office. And you build it right behind the baseball stadium where the baseball practice infield is. I'd be willing to bet you would get more people at a weekend softball series then you would for a whole season of women's basketball ...if you want to drop a sport drop that one.

Maybe in about 20 years we'll have one

May 18, 2015, 8:42 AM

After a couple more "renovations" to Kingsmore that don't make it any more appealing, we can just build a new baseball stadium on the other side of the indoor football complex and let the softball team have DK as their own.

That is, if and when our baseball team starts winning more than half their games again...

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

i guess you cant have a team in every sport-- i mean

May 18, 2015, 8:50 AM

South Carolina has gone a century without a football team.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you led off your post with a pledge of $500,000

May 18, 2015, 1:20 PM

it would have more impact. But probably not that much, actually.

It's too big a moneysuck to start a program at the present time. You'd need $20mil to build a stadium (or more if the Title 9 folks get in the way), and another $2-3mil every year for upkeep. If baseball loses $1mil a year selling 3000 season tickets and drawing 4000+ a game, softball would double that loss easily.

Re: if you led off your post with a pledge of $500,000

May 18, 2015, 4:45 PM

If you look around the SEC, they draw big crowds to softball games. whoever said it's "boring" earlier in this post doesn't really have a clue. I grew up playing baseball, but, baseball is much slower paced and is a marathon to watch. Most softball games are over in 2 hours or so. Talent wise, our state is cranking out lots of D1 talent. In addition to Hoover at LSU is Lesley Jury at Alabama (another pitcher) who played at JL Mann. There's another pitcher from Greenville who's headed to Tennessee. Kentucky starts two kids from SC with a third on the way. These are kids who are playing at top 15 programs. USC Upstate is who is benefiting from Clemson not having softball - they've been in the top 25 regularly the last few years. Go around to any local rec league and you'll find a bunch of girls now playing fastpitch softball. In addition to in state talent, Georgia and Florida are two of the most talent rich states for fastpitch. Clemson could win in softball in a short amount of time IF the university would commit to it. That said, the SEC (spending SEC football money) has the best facilities in the country. You would have to spend some money to get facilities up to par. It's just hard for me to understand how essentially everyone else in the ACC can pull if off and Clemson can't.

Here's how many SC players each state DI program has

May 18, 2015, 5:18 PM

Coots - 8 of 22
USC Upstate - 4 of 18
Coastal Carolina 0 of 17
Furman - 5 of 19
Presbyterian - 8 of 22
SC State - 3 of 18
College of Charleston - 4 of 17
Winthrop - 9 of 21

Seems that there really isn't anyone "benefiting" from Clemson not having softball since no DI team in this state makes up even half of their roster with in-state players.

Re: Here's how many SC players each state DI program has

May 19, 2015, 10:08 AM

I guess my point is, if USC Upstate can compete nationally, don't you think Clemson could as well? Point taken on their 4 instate kids, but, there are alot of quality players leaving the state to play in big time programs. Just as in football, I feel pretty sure Clemson is a pretty special place that would draw plenty of out of state talent. The talent level in SC has improved dramatically in the last 5 years or so. No offense to Upstate, but, there is no true elite team in SC in a power conference. USC is improving and they are in the best conference, but, alot of the best players in the last few years have left the state. Atlanta is a hotbed for fastpitch talent, and, you only need to get about 7 kids a year to have a softball program. Keep your couple of high quality in state kids, hit Georgia and Florida hard, and you can field a competitive team at Clemson. I'm not oblivious to the fact it's about money, but, how can essentially everyone else in the ACC make this work and we can't?

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic