Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stock Market is soaring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Stock Market is soaring

Feb 5, 2020, 10:03 PM

But how does that effect the average American?

Of all the stocks, the top 10% of the population controls 84% of stocks. The next 10% own 9.3% of stocks while the bottom 80% own only 6.7% of stocks.

Americans are discontent for a number of reasons and this started before Trump. I'd say the split and the beginning of mass acquisition of wealth by the top few percent started under Bill Clinton. G.W. Bush exacerbated the problem by pushing globalization, actually creating a tax incentive for companies to move overseas. Lower labor costs, increased profits began what has become a massive transfer of wealth.

I believe that most people felt powerless and believed the 'crumbs' that fell to them wasn't enough. The minimum wage in this country is $7.35 an hour, and impossible amount to actually live on. I think many supported Trump because he campaigned on fixing a 'rigged system' and people found hope in his candidacy.

Now the discontent remains which I thin contributes to the rise of the opposite of Trump. Sanders, Butigieg and Warren promise essentially the same thing that Trump did. Fixing a rigged system. With Trump we've swung way to the right politically, which has resulted in a marked change in our culture. A far left swing socially that may result in a further left President that many would reject. The only 'centrist' is Butigieg and no matter how well he's done in Iowa, most rural areas nationwide are just not ready for a Gay President. It's not looking too good, but people are fed up. No telling who will win the White House.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do people think they need to point out...

Feb 5, 2020, 10:18 PM

minimum wage is not enough to live on? It's not intended to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The same reason they find it enlightening that

Feb 5, 2020, 10:39 PM

Rich people have the most money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am not sure the data really shows that...

Feb 5, 2020, 10:44 PM

without charts

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hang on, I have it here somewhere.....

Feb 5, 2020, 10:47 PM

It’s filed right after the study I did one the amount of dog poop in the yards of dog owners vs those who don’t own pets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hang on, I have it here somewhere.....

Feb 6, 2020, 5:17 AM

Obed said:

It’s filed right after the study I did one the amount of dog poop in the yards of dog owners vs those who don’t own pets.

The problem is how much the rich really own. The distribution of wealth has gotten insane.

The wealthiest 20% own 90% of the wealth. The top 1% owns half of that.

The next two tiers of 20% split that last 10%. It breaks down to something like 7% to the upper middle class...and just under 3% - three per cent! - to the middle class.

Tier D - lower middle class - has crumbs, just a few fractions of a per cent.

The poorest 20% not only doesn't have anything, they're in debt, to the tune of owing an average of $6K per person.

In cultures where you see this level of income and wealth inequality, what you see at the bottom is a basic breakdown in government and civil services...and to some extent, often basic governance. The poorest neighborhood essentially become ungoverned zones ruled by street gangs. Huge swaths of the cities in Guatamala aren't controlled by the government, for instance, but instead by MS13, which doesn't just control the traditional underworld vices like drugs, prostitution, and gambling but now actually controls the trade on even basic goods like food and toiletries. In Mexico the drug cartels aren't just running drugs they're also taking over base staples like the avocado industry and the Federales don't really even have jurisdiction over many states anymore. And the wealthy are hunted; kidnapping of the rich for profit is an absolute pandemic.

Keep doing what we're doing, and that trend will come north.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a very limited examination of potential problems...

Feb 6, 2020, 7:19 AM

brought about by income inequality.

Saying 'the distribution of wealth has gotten insane,' isn't quite accurate. It suggest that income inequality is getting worse in America because of our form of economic behavior. Separating America from the rest of the world and from history is quite narrow.

I agree that America could do better but where we differ on a solution is highlighted in your example of MS13 moving north. Imo, low wage unskilled workers depress the wages/incomes here in America.

Tight borders with limits on unskilled, immigrant workers will raise wages of our lowest paid citizens and I suggest that wages of those learning skill and therefor higher and higher skilled workers will rise. Those unskilled workers also make the rich richer by keeping wages low.

MS13 has been conducting business here for a long time. That's why we have ICE, the FBI and federal, state and local law enforcement. Better border security will help.

I am in total agreement with your 'Keep doing what we're doing, and that trend will come north.' I don't see how it fits in a post about income inequality. It suggest that income inequality is the reason MS13 may conquer American states and kidnap wealth citizens.

If we don't fix income inequality we may/might/could become a third world nation? I'm going to need an explanation to understand that. Make it simple, remember how dumb I am and make it simple enough for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe they should do secret ballots in Mehiho***

Feb 6, 2020, 7:41 AM [ in reply to Re: hang on, I have it here somewhere..... ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

another "the world's going to come to an end" issue...

Feb 6, 2020, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Re: hang on, I have it here somewhere..... ]

if we the enlightened don't intervene...yet the world keeps spinning

You're just no fun at all.***

Feb 6, 2020, 8:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Human arrogance and the Tower of Babel***

Feb 6, 2020, 8:09 AM

Re: hang on, I have it here somewhere.....

Mar 12, 2020, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: hang on, I have it here somewhere..... ]

The poorest 20% are more in debt than that. They owe part of the national debt too. Probably will never pay it, but they owe it. Just looked it up and it was in Dec 71000.+ . A person or 182000. Per household, so we really need to be trying to vote all the clowns out and get a budget where we start paying down our debt. I would say debt is the fastest growing part of our government and it’s getting worse daily. Politicians won’t talk about this...just that SS is going broke. Well, they borrowed the money from the SS account. Imagine that.

Message was edited by: tigersnake1954®

could provide cash to companies to buy

Feb 5, 2020, 10:22 PM

equipment/expansion, provide new jobs, to buy a home, maybe a new car, then the taxes on that stuff provides funds for schools, road repairs, providing a positive effect for the average american

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stock Market is soaring

Feb 5, 2020, 10:22 PM

3.5% unemployment makes it seem like most people are...

Feb 5, 2020, 11:09 PM

working. If one was unemployed during the past decade or two he might appreciate working instead of having someone else work and pay taxes so he can feed his family.

Best of luck unseating a president who has an economy which allows everyone to work who wants to work.

You are heartless

Feb 6, 2020, 2:23 AM

There are 3.5% of people not working!!!! ;) how can Trump not have 0%?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I seldom entertain attacks on capitalism.

Feb 6, 2020, 7:25 AM

Somehow having a growing stock market is a bad thing and we should find a president who can stop the madness.

Fact is, every dem candidate will solve the problem of a growing market if they intend to keep their promises.

Everything is relative. Around half of planet Earth would

Feb 6, 2020, 7:32 AM

jump to live the $7.25/hr American life.

And the politicians have nothing to do with that. If Trump raised minimum wage to $15/hr., the price of a Big Mac at McDonald's would just double. Labor cost is simply passed on. Then you're making $15/hr and complaining because staples and commodities have gotten so expensive. PLUS, that creates inflationary pressure. Wages drive inflation, and costs. Wages increase, costs necessarily rise concurrently. THEN, you are forced to buy $80,000 less house as interest rates climb above 5-6% on mortgages.

Point is everything is relative, and money is a zero sum game. Double your wages only helps you if ONLY you get double wages. If everyone makes double wages, then everyone pays double price for what's produced with that labor. NO NET IMPROVEMENT.

Plus, that low minimum wage is important because it's a basis point on which you can hire illegal labor. The deflationary pressure (good) of illegal labor is mitigated by higher wages. THAT decreases the amount you spend on your credit card, impacts the quality of car you buy, the size of the house you buy, etc.

As usual, in any nation in the history of history, those most dissatisfied are those who think a politician/ruler is going to make their lives better. Plain and simple.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a 401(k) that is "in the stock market,"

Feb 6, 2020, 8:24 AM

I guess, but I don't spend any time looking at it since I'm so far from retirement. I'm glad the stock market is doing well, whatever that means, and hope it continues to do so, but I don't see any effects on me in a practical sense.

Wait till you’re 60-65

Feb 6, 2020, 8:25 AM

It’ll get real practical real quick.

Definitely understand.***

Feb 6, 2020, 8:28 AM

Probably by that time will have moved money

Feb 6, 2020, 8:28 AM

to more stable places, I hope. I know there's some way to do that with my 401(k), but like I said, I don't look at it often.

It’ll still be in your 401k most likely

Feb 6, 2020, 8:31 AM

You’ll just change your allocation to more and more bond-heavy as you near retirement. Ideally right now you’d be 75%-ish equities and 25% bonds. Invert that completely as you near retirement.

Yeah, that's it.

Feb 6, 2020, 8:44 AM

What's funny is that, early on after college, I didn't know it, but most of my money was going in these "bond-heavy" things, the stable ones. And it happened to be a time when the stock market was doing poorly, from what the news says, anyway. Well, I realized this somehow, and switch it around to the more "aggressive type," and that was right around when there started to be a big upturn. So it worked out good, I suppose.

I just noticed something

Feb 6, 2020, 8:50 AM

Not that you care, but how do you have a 93% pulse? You’re pretty much the least offensive poster in this place.

my guess is...

Feb 6, 2020, 9:12 AM

he gets the hard core pubs panties in a wad when he points out their bias.

he gets radical atheists upset when he talks about his faith.

But yeah, bravo is a genuinely good dood

Nooooo.

Feb 6, 2020, 9:23 AM

He is a USCe grad. Being a USCe grad and letting people in the mange know it is how his pulse got low. Perhaps some P&R guys might have helped lower it but that isn't where it started. I think the lunge hit him a few times over his football ratings post too.

Yeah, I think this is probably true...

Feb 6, 2020, 9:37 AM

As you know, I ignored the point system for years, so I can't really tell you what my pulse used to be or whatever, but I suspect it was lower in years past, when I posted more in the mange. I don't remember the last time I even went to that web page, now.

I didn't really think about that...

Feb 6, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Nooooo. ]

but I married a coot, so there's that

I’m with you brother

Feb 6, 2020, 11:22 AM

One word: Coot***

Feb 6, 2020, 9:21 AM [ in reply to I just noticed something ]

'Confess your sins one to another....'

Feb 6, 2020, 9:25 AM

J/K brother.

That is a misleading stat. Of course the wealthy will own a

Feb 6, 2020, 10:49 AM

higher percentage of the stocks since they have more to invest. But it doesn't preclude lower income folks from owning stock.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: That is a misleading stat. Of course the wealthy will own a

Mar 12, 2020, 7:17 AM

It’s the same with all folks. You can invest X number of dollars a each year from 20 to 28 and never put another cent in and start another account and put X in each year from 29 to 62 or 65 can’t remember which, and that second account will never catch up with that first eight year. Compound interest is a wonderful thing.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic