Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Nuk doesn’t mention Clemson University as his school
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Why Nuk doesn’t mention Clemson University as his school

Jun 8, 2020, 5:13 PM

link="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
View this post on Instagram

As we watch everything happening in the world, I want to bring up something that has been bothering me for a long time in my community. Clemson University still honors the name of well known slave owner and pro-slavery politician John C. Calhoun on its buildings, signs, and in the name of its honors program. I felt this oppressive figure during my time at Clemson and purposely do not mention the University’s name before NFL games because of it. I am joining the voices of the students and faculty who have restarted this petition to rename the Calhoun Honors College. I urge all Clemson students, football players, and alumni to join us, so the next generation of young Black leaders can be proud of the institution they graduate from. Now is the time for change. Please help us by signing and sharing this petition here: http://tinyurl.com/calhounpetition

A post shared by @ deandrehopkins on

<###### async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Nuk doesn’t mention Clemson University as his school

Jun 8, 2020, 6:09 PM

That's effing ridiculous. He needs to study some American history.

Jun 8, 2020, 6:10 PM

Saw Deshaun added that he never took a picture of or touched his statue. Is there a statue of Calhoun on campus? If so, that’s new to me.

Maybe he was thinking about the TG Clemson statue?

Jun 8, 2020, 6:28 PM

There’s no freaking John C Calhoun statue. He’s probably talking about Thomas Clemson. Hell, let’s rename the the entire university, since Clemson inherited slaves and Fort Hill from Calhoun??

dude everybody 150 years ago that had money owned slaves

Jun 8, 2020, 6:28 PM

why is this new information? It was 150 years ago dum@ss. It doesn't change that they gave the land, money, and resources to start the university. How dumb do we have to get?

just close the school down, lets close them all in the south tomorrow.... just do it, because a bunch of 20 year olds said it was the right thing to do...smh. I appreciate the opinion and not sure if you know or not Dhop, we all renounce slavery and oppression from the 1850's. No Clemson fan or person alive in todays modern era will ever agree with slavery and racial oppression. Because no one is that idiotic anymore. Its "history" for a reason. Hopefully we all understand that this is in the PAST. good gosh man...its something even dumber every passing day.

Re: dude everybody 150 years ago that had money owned slaves

Jun 8, 2020, 7:12 PM

Sorry Nuk, you didn't mention Asian, Latinos, Whites, Jewish, or American Indian people. Do you really think that Blacks are the race that have been treated badly ? Tired of all the one sided crap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dude everybody 150 years ago that had money owned slaves

Jun 8, 2020, 8:38 PM [ in reply to dude everybody 150 years ago that had money owned slaves ]

I posted a link the other night about this, look up John Carruthers Stanly. He was a freed slave from New Bern, NC that ended up being a slaveholder and one of the richest men in NC. At one time, he owned 168 slaves to work his plantations.

Here we go again.***

Jun 8, 2020, 7:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Yeah, I'm sure the honors college name kept him awake at

Jun 8, 2020, 8:07 PM

night his whole college career.

Jun 8, 2020, 8:34 PM

All of this would be moot if Boyd had made the right read and hit Humphries who was wide open for a TD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nik mentioned black graduates. Did he graduate?***

Jun 8, 2020, 8:35 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 8:36 PM

Where does it stop. It began with the confederate flag on the state capital. Now a minority of people are demanding Clemson buildings be renamed. After that then what is next. At some point we have to forget about what happened over 150 years ago. Even things that happened 60 years ago. People have to start forgiving and forgetting about what happened in the past.

I honestly believe these kind of demands like the one from Nuk Hopkins does more to divide than unite.

At some point it has to stop or we will not survive as The United States.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 8:44 PM

The governor of Va is having the statue of George Washington on state grounds in Richmond removed this summer. I guess we will be renaming our nation’s capital as well.

Jun 8, 2020, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Nuk doesn’t mention Clemson University as his school ]

It doesn’t stop. Just keep destroying history. I would invite anyone that doesn’t like Clemson to go elsewhere. Big world.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 8:38 PM

I thought he must be talking about Tillman

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

What happened to this guy?

Jun 8, 2020, 8:57 PM

Jun 8, 2020, 10:52 PM

A few years ago, I remember reading that Nuk didn’t mention Clemson because he felt disrespected that Sammy Watkins was more the more hyped and featured wide receiver and Nuk felt that he was relegated to second tier status by the coaches. I guess things have now changed.

Jun 9, 2020, 12:22 AM

Just give Nuk a few weeks and he will state he was a victim of something else during his time at Clemson. That’s his pattern.

Jun 9, 2020, 12:30 AM

I've heard multiple times it was due to the fact Sammy was the #1 over him. This is murmurs among NFL athletes I've been near this is a bold fat lie.

Jun 9, 2020, 1:19 AM

Well, Sammy was better than him in college, no question.

What a huge load of crappa . .

Jun 9, 2020, 2:07 AM

You can't change history. Different time, different values. This is bull.

When do we rename Washington, DC?

Jun 9, 2020, 2:12 AM

George Washington had slaves too. Along with 90% of our founding fathers...

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic