Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Bills decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

FB Update: Bills decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option

May 2, 2017, 3:30 PM

Bills decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

buffalo wasted spiller and watkins

May 2, 2017, 3:39 PM

d

Re: buffalo wasted spiller and watkins

May 2, 2017, 3:42 PM

Buffalo Bills remind me of the Browns. They haven't been good in 20 years since Kelly, Reed and Thomas were playing there......This will work out best for Sammy.

May 2, 2017, 4:40 PM [ in reply to buffalo wasted spiller and watkins ]

HOW DID THEY WASTE THEM WHEN THEY WERE ALWAYS HURT. PLEASE SPLAIN. NOT A BILLS FAN BY THE WAY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2017, 5:11 PM

Could have been they weren't properly cared for during injuries.

I don't really understand this line of though.

May 2, 2017, 6:41 PM [ in reply to buffalo wasted spiller and watkins ]

Buffalo gave Spiller a lot of chances. Aside from one nice season he just wasn't that effective for them and then he had the injury issues on top of that.

Sammy has been good, but he's missed 11 games in 3 seasons. In his 2nd year he caught 60 passes for 1050 yards and 17.5 YPC (T6 in the league!) He missed 3 games that year due to injury or he might've been a 1300 yard receiver right there with D. Thomas and AJ Green.

Last year he missed half the season and was playing through a foot injury in the other half before they finally shut him down.

Re: I don't really understand this line of though.

May 2, 2017, 9:41 PM

The line of thought is that on TigerNet, every Clemson player that goes to the NFL should immediately start over whoever is in front of them on the depth chart and basically be fast-tracked to the HoF. There were a ton of people on here last year that thought Daniel Rodriguez was going to make a team. There are actually a few people this year that think Schuessler is going to take over for Rothelisberger in a couple of years.

Spiller got drafted too high. At best he could've hoped for a Darren Sproles-esque career, AKA a guy who touches the ball 15 times a game through rushing, receiving, and returning. He would've had a solid role for 10+ years and probably would've had one of the highest touch to TD ratios in NFL history. Instead, because they drafted him in the top 10, they tried to give him feature-back carries, and he couldn't hold up.

Watkins is kind of a similar case. He was electric at Clemson because he was usually the fastest guy on the field, and they threw him a ton of short passes just to get the ball in his hands. But you can't be a one-trick pony and be successful in the NFL. When I watched him and Hopkins playing together in 2011, it was very obvious who was going to be the more successful NFL receiver. Watkins can still outrun pretty much anybody he lines up across from, but when he has to go over the middle, he winds up getting injured.

May 2, 2017, 9:46 PM

*Highest TD to touch ratio*

May 2, 2017, 10:10 PM

The often injured line is a POS. He was hurt for three games and then, last year, his foot didn't recover from surgery as expected. Regardless, Buffalo has had crap for QB's, but somehow, someway, the WR is supposed to compensate for that?

That said, it's time to say sayonara, Buffalo. In five years time, there won't even be a team in that city...write it down.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. A move is inevitable... Nice payola, considering...***

May 2, 2017, 11:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tyrod Taylor actually isn't that bad. PFF ranks him

May 3, 2017, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't really understand this line of though. ]

20th in the league here, and he actually graded out as the 12th best QB in the league last year. 8 other guys with lower grades were ranked ahead of him due to either potential (Mariota, Winston, etc) or historical success (Big Ben, Rivers, Palmer, etc).

There are quite a few teams with QB situations far, far worse than Buffalo.

May 2, 2017, 9:27 PM [ in reply to buffalo wasted spiller and watkins ]

Yes seems to be a good place to kill a player's career. Glad he's getting away from that bunch. A no class operation which has no idea how to build a football team--not that they're alone in that dilema. Sad. I used to have a lot of respect for Buffalo. I'm not sure which one is dumber-Jets or Bills. Sammy needs to play for a contender-not an "also ran".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2017, 9:37 PM [ in reply to buffalo wasted spiller and watkins ]

This. I hope Sammy has a great year next year and will leave that terrible franchise for a good one. He has much to offer to another club (heck, almost any other club). What a wasted talent! Same for CJ. Buffalo is a graveyard. So glad Deshaun didn't get stuck with a crappy franchise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate to break it to you, but Spiller isn't an NFL back

May 3, 2017, 8:13 AM [ in reply to buffalo wasted spiller and watkins ]

and Sammy has been very injury-prime in the NFL. Neither is the Bills' fault.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 3, 2017, 9:25 AM [ in reply to buffalo wasted spiller and watkins ]

Spiller was a total reach as a first round pick. His skills were too limited to warrant a first round type of value.

Watkins has definately been wasted. If that draft were held today, I would still take him as the first WR. He's yet to have a QB capable of getting him the ball on time, in an area where he can make YAC.

Some of his injuries are due to poor QB play.

I'm a Bills fan, and have to admit, he's better off going somewhere else. As much as I wanted Deshaun, I'm glad he's in Houston.

The Bills organization is a mess.

Thank goodness! Lets see Sammy with a QB!***

May 2, 2017, 3:42 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

If he stays healthy his QB is good enough to take him

May 2, 2017, 3:45 PM

to a good season. Sammy has to stay on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: FB Update: Bills decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option

Sammy, Nuke and DW4 in Houston 2018

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thought

May 2, 2017, 4:44 PM

I immediately thought the same thing. But, that would be a lot of cap money to have both Nuk and Sammy on the same roster. Hopkins is on his 5th year contract right now, making $8M (all cap money), and will be an Unrestricted FA in 2018.

Should Houston want both Sammy and Nuk, they'll have to basically out-bid the rest of the NFL. And, it's likely both of them will want Top 5 NFL WR money. That would be roughly $10M+/year each... It wouldn't be ridiculous for them to get offers closer to $15M. The Packers are spending $18.6M this year on Nelson and Cobb, and will lead the NFL in WR spend for 2017.

Houston couldn't do it unless the restructured several contracts.

Anywho... I know you didn't seriously think that could happen. But, I thought it was interesting and wanted to look into myself. Long story short... impossible.

May 2, 2017, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Bills decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option ]

That would be a fabulous scenario!!!

That would be awesome!***

May 3, 2017, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Bills decline Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option ]

Sammy, Nuke and DW4 in Houston 2018

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2017, 4:32 PM

Houston! We have a Sammy

A few thoughts...

May 2, 2017, 4:33 PM

1) The Bills are essentially saying they believe Sammy will be injured or he will get an offer lower than $14M in 2018.

2)Sammy should spend 2017 with the following priorities: 1st - GET HEALTHY AND DO NOT GET RE-INJURED. 2nd (distant 2nd) - Catch some balls. Maybe.

As of today, Sammy is playing for a 2018 Free Agent contract. F the Bills. They made their decision and Sammy should make his.

Re: A few thoughts...

May 2, 2017, 4:39 PM

SO, YOU WANT HIM TO NOT PLAY A LOT OR PLAY LIKE SH!T SO HE CAN GET MORE MONEY IN 2018 HUH. THAT ABOUT RIGHT. SMFH.

May 2, 2017, 4:48 PM

Clearly, my posts are not as easy to grasp as your CAPS LOCK key.

May 2, 2017, 4:53 PM

OBVIOUSLY

May 2, 2017, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Re: A few thoughts... ]

THATS VERY EVIDENT!

May 2, 2017, 9:31 PM [ in reply to A few thoughts... ]

Who knows Sammy might get a nagging hamstring or something( from which he is miraculously healed later) and have to watch the fiasco from the sidelines

May 3, 2017, 11:40 AM [ in reply to A few thoughts... ]

They can still franchise him if they want to keep him around after a great 2017. Would owe around $3M more than they would've paid him in the 5th year.

has he bought a place in Houston yet?***

May 2, 2017, 4:46 PM

That's good news. Maybe he can go to a better offense.*****

May 2, 2017, 5:27 PM

With the right team he wil be All-World

May 2, 2017, 8:04 PM

You got to have a good protected QB in the NFL and that light hasn't come on yet in Buffalo.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

The Bills can Still put the Franchise tag on him next year

May 2, 2017, 9:59 PM

Both sides win on this one

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

May 2, 2017, 11:40 PM

I hope he ends up on a warm weather team with a good QB. Panthers? Him and Cam? Texans pick up Sammy next year? Imagine that? He needs to obviously heal that foot. Take time to get his game back. Wish him the best, lots of time still left to make his mark in the League with higher numbers and a ring with a good QB. Sammy is the real deal.

Just my take

May 3, 2017, 9:27 AM

Maybe the Texans are paying attention

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic