Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 88
| visibility 1

TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary

Dec 30, 2018, 12:34 PM

Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary

Opportunistic. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly credited Clemson with making the plays it needed to in order to win Saturday’s Cotton Bowl, saying that the Tigers took advantage of the loss of Julian Love to pick on the Irish secondary. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s also known as being out played and coached !

Dec 30, 2018, 12:37 PM

Kelly makes those gamecock like excuses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s also known as being out played and coached !

Dec 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

I don't know if I would call them excuses. You did take advantage of Julian Love being out; you ran up 20 points while he was out. Doesn't change the fact that we could only score three against your defense, though, and it seems to me that he did acknowledge that. As for being close in talent, that might be true for our starters, but it is certainly not true of our respective backups. You lost Dexter Lawrence and didn't miss a beat. We lost Love and got creamed. If he hadn't gone out, the game would have been closer. Maybe 20-3.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:51 PM

You do know we scored on love when he came back in the game with our backups right?

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

Dec 30, 2018, 5:03 PM

Yes, I do. Not saying we would have held you scoreless if Love had been in. Just probably would have scored less. And that doesn't change the fact that you held us to 3. We have a pretty good offense, so that was outstanding play. I hope Alabama decides that we must have had a terrible offense for you guys to hold us to 3, and gets overconfident.

We took our foot off the gas midway thru the 3rd quarter

Dec 30, 2018, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Re: That’s also known as being out played and coached ! ]

and still won by 27. It could have been a lot worse if Dabo didn't call off the dogs and put his son in the game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We took our foot off the gas midway thru the 3rd quarter

Dec 31, 2018, 8:18 AM

could have easily been 40-3. We missed a field goal and fumbled at the 15 yard line

Dec 30, 2018, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: That’s also known as being out played and coached ! ]

Did ND try to take advantage of Dexter Lawrence being out? After all, he is a big piece of the defensive line and an All American. See how whiney it sounds now?

Dec 30, 2018, 8:40 PM

Lawrence being out allowed ND to double team Higgins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 9:05 AM

.. And Wilkins... Even the commentators mentioned it. But yeah, they weren't being opportunistic there, huh? Lol. Bunch of whiners that can't admit they were just flat out whipped this time by Clemson's depth and their lack of.... About as bad as "it rained on one side of the field"

Dec 31, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: That’s also known as being out played and coached ! ]

Nm

that seems terribly opportunistic.

Jan 1, 2019, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: That’s also known as being out played and coached ! ]

almost as bad as riding one's ancient history for all it's worth just get into big games and get absolutely destroyed by good teams. and be all smug and smarmy about it. a hallmark of the domers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 30, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to That’s also known as being out played and coached ! ]

My thoughts exactly. He and the Gamecock QB are from the same neighborhood. Lose by 27 points and say they were not better than us we just made some mistakes. I get tired of hearing people say things like that.

Kelly is at it again

Dec 31, 2018, 5:09 AM [ in reply to That’s also known as being out played and coached ! ]

Kelly also said they were one play away from winning the last time they played Clemson. You were trying to tie the game Kelly. Have a nice trip back to Dreamworld Farm.

Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary

Dec 30, 2018, 12:38 PM

Notre Dame DC Mike Elko broke tendencies and loaded the box to take away Etienne...normally he doesn't do that, and he protects his secondary with a very forgiving zone.

Took a minute for Trevor & Company to get dialed in, but when they did, Notre Dame was dead. Deep balls flew over the top...despite the fact that the SEC crew was letting ND's corners maul and grab at will...though our own DB's did not receive the same treatment. (And in fact one of their PI calls was flat bogus.) And replay had to consistently over-rule the bad initial calls that were made on the field.

We don't need to allow an SEC crew to officiate any more playoff games, whatever. Still didn't matter though. Notre Dame just plain...didn't have anything.

His comments sounded remarkably like

Dec 30, 2018, 12:41 PM

"They weren't much better than us, if at all."

Re: His comments sounded remarkably like

Dec 30, 2018, 5:08 PM

Maybe, but I don't think he would say that outright. In any case, the guy feels like he let his team down, which is why he's saying some awkward things. Let's see what he says in a couple of weeks, when he's had a chance to wash the taste out of his mouth. I, personally, waited a while before I said anything. Might not have been a bad idea for him to do the same.

Don't take my post seriously...

Dec 30, 2018, 5:14 PM

It was a jab at our feathered friends in the mid-State. That comment was made by their QB after a 56-7 shelling two years ago. And unlike yesterday, it was 21-0 in the 1st quarter.

Honestly, I wasn't really jabbing the Irish...too much! ;) Thanks for dropping by...and Happy New Year.

Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary

Dec 30, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

And________________________________ if a Frog had wings,he wouldn't bust his rump on a jump**

ifa,coulda,woulda,______________yep,that what it looked like to me too,coach?????

what was up with the uneven calling of the secondary play?

Dec 30, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

Good thing Ross is a grown man

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

Absolutely, and I made a similar statement last night, the SEC Refs were doing their best to pick the team that SEC Bama has to play in the NCG, and as you said, some of their insane bad calls got viewed by the replay booth, and the stadium of FB fans and the people on TV had the same opportunity to see how those refs were calling a one sided game. It was flagged when a Clemson player done much less to interfere with a receiver, and a no call when the ND defenders done much more to interfere with Clemson receivers. If the calls would have been just close to fair for both sides, the score would have been much more one sided than it was Clemson's way!!! ND would have been a much easier opponent for Bama than Clemson will be for them, and the refs tried to make it that way. If this game with everything the exact same between the two teams, if it would have been played in the 70's, 80's, or 90's with less video coverage, ND would have been the winner of the game bc the refs could have gotten away with many more bad calls against Clemson... Go Tigers, and bring home the hardware!!!

Dec 30, 2018, 1:09 PM

And you didn’t mention the lack of holding calls when their OL had both arms around our DL at times...

Dec 30, 2018, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

That possible conflict of interest didn't occur to me! I don't know whose refs they should have used, though, considering Big 12 refs might want to slant ND into an Oklahoma game, and Pac-12 and Big Ten teams play Notre Dame a lot. Maybe ACC refs would have been best, although they might have wanted to make sure Clemson got into the final.

LOL. ACC refs screw Clemson every chance they get.

Jan 1, 2019, 9:54 AM

ACC refs suck balls.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 30, 2018, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

The inconsistent PI calls were inexcusable. Even some of the plays our receivers made, they had to fight thru PI not called. Also, thankful the guy in booth called the game well, he was the only one.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

Elko moved to TAMU last year. Clark Lea, who followed Elko last year from Wake Forest as the LB coach, was the DC. Where we really didn't have anything was in the offense IMO. In the defense, what we didn't have was depth. We lost some players for a while and cracked. But we still couldn't put up more than three with the best players on our offense. That was the effect of the complete mismatch between our OL and your DL more than anything else. (How many sacks/hurries did you guys have in that game anyway? Seemed like it was at least a dozen.)

Anyway, great team, great job. We're getting closer, but we aren't there yet. Now, please. Go cream Alabama and show the people who say that we had no business being there that getting creamed by Clemson doesn't prove that.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:53 AM

The one thing I thought possibly that Ian book could do was throw a little more on our secondary but our secondary tightened up, what hurt y’all the most is the strength of your offense which is the running game was going to be hard to get going against our defense! Like you said we have third stringers that could start for other teams so that really hurt y’all badly.

Dec 31, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

Agree that depth was an issue. But that argument is mining/fishing the data—a common error when explaining an outcome. People look at the end result and work backward to find one big explainer (Love!), rather than having a hypothesis and testing (e.g. Clemson has more talent and better coaching, and over 4 quarters is highly likely to win in convincing fashion).

Clemson has been slow in Q1 in many games that ended up blowouts. The closest of the below (Duke) finished in a 29-point blowout:
- Duke (0-6 in 1Q)
- FSU (0-0 in 1Q)
- Wake (7-0 in 1Q)
- Ga Southern (0-0 in 1Q)
Any of those teams’ fans could say “man, we were neck & neck in the 1Q, but we did [X] to ourselves, and that is why we lost big.”

No. It’s always easier to have teams appear closer when taking a snapshot after 15 minutes rather than a full 60 minutes.

The Cotton Bowl unfolded the same way as those other Clemson games, so no one can isolate defensive depth as the primary contributor to giving up 30 points to our offense’s 1s over 3 quarters. It’s an equally strong argument that Clemson settled in and dominated the 2nd quarter, making the opponent one-dimensional for the final 35-45 minutes, and setting up another game over by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

The most likely explanation is better talent (even just the 1s) and/or coaching, probably “and.”

Dec 31, 2018, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

This. Ended up like the NCSU game...they slowed 1/2 of our offense while the other 1/2 empties the clip.

he should have just said they lost because

Dec 30, 2018, 12:51 PM

it was raining some where during the game

Agree with Salty on sounds like Bentley

Dec 30, 2018, 12:54 PM

Also, let's see now. Clemson takes advantage of ND secondary who is one man down. Um, sounds like ND not very deep. About that not much difference in talent claim?

Re: Agree with Salty on sounds like Bentley

Dec 30, 2018, 1:13 PM

No less depth than the ESPN announcer corps. I got really tired of them just making stuff up.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:33 PM

For real. I am getting to the point of just turning the sound down. If you follow the game, you'll catch them in all kinds of mistakes.

Dec 30, 2018, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Agree with Salty on sounds like Bentley ]

LOL, and they were doing a job with that.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Agree with Salty on sounds like Bentley ]

Exactly. Not much difference in talent maybe, until you get to the backups. Then, it showed big time.

Dec 30, 2018, 8:57 PM

One thing Dabo and staff do every game, regardless of score or what quarter we are in, in rotate players out. Typically we played everyone that was allowed to travel with us and in the 80’s at home games. This help eliminate the gap when players get hurt or like this year where we have a lot of key positions going to the NFL or graduating

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 30, 2018, 1:08 PM

If they were "opportunistic" when attacking our back-up DT, it would have been a decent game.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Dec 30, 2018, 1:44 PM

Have to give Kelly a little credit he did say that Clemson was able to be successful missing a star DT, so they should have been able to miss one player too.

Dec 30, 2018, 5:12 PM

True that. And all the credit in the world to Clemson's depth. I sure hope you get Lawrence back for the Alabama game, but I think you'll do ok without him.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

I don't think so, actually. I was most concerned about the OL, as were most of the pros on our end. Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune, for example, has been saying that that was his biggest concern since we made the playoffs. Your DL was so far ahead of our OL that losing Williams didn't matter. Your BACKUPS were still destroying our OL once they all got in.

With the exception of the center, most of those guys were first-year starters this year. After we lost Alex Bars, the OL became our weakest point. Your DL is your strongest point, probably of the entire team. They say games are won and lost in the trenches, and I'm going to say this game was an emphatic case in point.

Dec 30, 2018, 1:19 PM

The CLEMSON TIGERS BEAT everyone they have played so call them what you want Brian Kelley you just another one of them on the way to The National championship All In

The CLEMSON TIGERS BEAT everyone they have played so call them what you want Brian Kelley you just another one of them on the way to The National championship All In

So Kelly said the Irish were “out coached” My translation , Clemson coaching staff is better.

I’ll go a step farther. Our coaches have better character. They know how to win , they know how to lose, graciously in either situation. Kelly could take some lessons from Clemson staff.

Dec 30, 2018, 5:01 PM

Nobody could ever accuse Swinny of ungraciousness, it is true. I wonder about Venables, though. LOL He looks like a mad dragon.

Dec 30, 2018, 5:13 PM

Oops, typo. Swinney.

Recorded the game and watched it again this morning...

Dec 30, 2018, 1:22 PM

I have decided that I really don't like Brian Kelly...what an a$$

Re: Recorded the game and watched it again this morning...

Dec 30, 2018, 4:28 PM

Yeah, he does have a tendency to minimize. There's also that he cares about his players more than what opposing fans think of him, and he wants them to take something positive from this game. So, I think some of the things he was saying were for his players.

I tend to give him a pass for what he says to the media. Coaches are sometimes abrasive when they deal with the media (Dabo isn't, Saban is), and when they win nobody cares.

What I really care about is whether Kelly minimizes like that once he's had a chance to reflect, and I find that he doesn't. If he did, we wouldn't have played you last night and he might very well be out of a job.

Dec 30, 2018, 1:24 PM

Love was back in the game in the second half. Maybe Coach Kelly missed that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2018, 4:30 PM

No, he didn't. Doesn't change the fact that you put up 20 while he was out, though, mostly by taking advantage of his backup. Not saying that you wouldn't have scored a point with him in, but probably not 20.

too bad y’all weren’t good

Dec 30, 2018, 4:49 PM

Enough to take advantage of Dexs backup

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: too bad y’all weren’t good

Dec 30, 2018, 5:13 PM

What? You're disappointed that we weren't good enough to beat you? :)

Re: too bad y’all weren’t good

Dec 31, 2018, 9:14 AM

In other words, he's making everyone's point... Pot calling kettle black. You know, he knows, everyone not feeling lugubrious knows...ND's only ability to double team Wilkins for most of the game was due to being opportunistic about Big Dex being out of the game. The real fact is Clemson's depth is better than ND's, and it showed... It's not about one man's absence.

"Opportunistic" Kelly ran at Huggins from the very 1st play.

Dec 30, 2018, 1:33 PM

IIRC, on the 1st play of the game (and often throughout at least the 1st half), ND took advantage of the Dexter Lawrence suspension by rushing Williams toward the gaps handled by Huggins. "Opportunistic" or just Football 101 for trying to find mismatches and attacking the weakest parts of a defense?

Re: "Opportunistic" Kelly ran at Huggins from the very 1st play.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:34 PM

Which, if I may say so, is another definition of the word "opportunistic." The opposite of that is "failing to take advantage of the opportunities presented."

I don't think anyone, including Kelly, is saying that we would have won if not for a few bad breaks. You don't win by scoring three, and the only thing opportunistic about the way you shut our offense down was taking the opportunity to put your players on the field.

I'm sure you like us have listened to many coaches

Dec 30, 2018, 6:13 PM

press conferences after losses this year. Some are very classy, others average and some are just no class whiners. Guess which one Brian Kelly is? If you don't know go listen to Pitt's coach after you guys beat them. I haven't heard it, but I'm sure his responses were classy. Same with Cuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well said, Bob! That’s gold!***

Dec 31, 2018, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: "Opportunistic" Kelly ran at Huggins from the very 1st play. ]

Dec 30, 2018, 1:48 PM

Alright, you know what...F#*@ this S*#%! I was planning to not rub it in or tease ND fans about the EMBARRASSING beatdown, but this Brian Kelly MF'r has lost my #### patience on about his FIFTH chance at just being considered 'awkward' or Asperger's or whatever as opposed to just being a GIANT D0UCHE.

So, sorry in advance to any truly nice ND fans, but for those that don't disavow this lunatical D-Bag, I'm going to mock the ever-living hell out of them for just how pathetic and bad there team is and continually let them know they NEVER DESERVED TO EVEN BE THERE.

Obviously, I don't need to even explain myself but as others said as if one of our most highly touted if not highest regarded Defensive players wasn't out as well, but not just for a bit but the ENTIRE GAME.

Brian Kelly is a piece of trash. An absolute piece of garbage. And it's quite obvious that he's extremely embarrassed of his S#*TTY team's performance as well as his own coaching skills since he's constantly out there babbling in PR mode to proactively try to win the 'didn't belong' NEWS FLASH but he needs to just S T F U already.

And oh yeah, as ONE OTHER POINT...just to put in a GIANT SPOTLIGHT what an absolute PIECE OF TRASH BRIAN KELLY is...he actually decided not to follow normal concussion protocol and put a player with a head injury BACK IN THE GAME in a desperate attempt to win it - since in his mind, this Love kid going out is the only reason we ever scored. Just don't even pay attention to Chase Brice running it down their F'ing throats and then us having mercy on them and not running up the score. F'ing garbage heap coach didn't deserve an ounce of that mercy.

F ND....the team that WILL NEVER BE INVITED TO THE CFP AGAIN UNTIL THEY JOIN A CONFERENCE AND THEN WON'T ANYWAYS BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER WIN A CONFERENCE. F U ND and BRIAN KELLY.

PS: This was the most enjoyable game to watch as a Clemson fan ALL SEASON and you were MUCH EASIER TO BEAT than our usual ACC opponents. You would have finished about 8th in our conference. Go F yourselves. Happy New Year.

Dec 30, 2018, 1:54 PM

Oh, also wanted to add that the only CFP Gatorade Bath that Brian Kelly will ever get is the accidental dousing he got when they finally caught up with Dabo and overshot his back with a little bit of it.

I bet Brian Kelly relished those precious drops of victory Gatorade and licked every drop he could get off his face and still hasn't showered since. LOL Silly Nutjob F'r!

bless me father for I have sinned - per Brian kelly

Dec 30, 2018, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

- lied
- didn’t follow concussion protocol
-what he said. Lol

Re: bless me father for I have sinned - per Brian kelly

Dec 30, 2018, 4:58 PM

I don't believe that he didn't follow concussion protocol. If you're going to say it, back it up. Here's what I'll say to back up why I don't believe it.

First, it's not his decision. It's the trainer's decision, in consultation with the team physician.

Second, taking a person into concussion protocol does not automatically mean that the person has a concussion. It means that he might have one, and needs further evaluation.

Third, if he was returned to the game, it means that the physician didn't feel that a concussion diagnosis was warranted.

Finally, it doesn't pass the smell test. Putting Love back into the game while concussed was unlikely at that point to change the outcome of the game.

Now, suppose you refute my position. It'll be a good exercise in critical thinking skills, which at this point it doesn't look like you are applying.

Dec 30, 2018, 6:14 PM

Love went off field holding his hamstring. You don't ride the exercise bike for a head injury - he tweaked his hamstring. The head injury was Kelly who had no clue what was wrong with a star player.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:20 AM

Dabo before the game: well just treat it like an injury, next man up.... It's not about one player

Brian Kelly after the game: they took advantage of our injured player being out... We were only 2, no make that 4, plays away from winning after losing by 27 and not scoring one TD.

Folks, there's your difference.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

You about done? Good. Happy new year to you as well. Great game.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:56 PM

Bob Rodes - I don’t blame your coach for trying to put the best spin on things that he can. No point in his throwing players under the bus.

Congratulations on a great season and have a Happy New Year!

Dec 30, 2018, 4:59 PM

Same to you. Thank you! Make us look a little better by exposing Alabama. :)

Dec 30, 2018, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Notre Dame's Kelly says Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish secondary ]

Bob Rodes - I don’t blame your coach for trying to put the best spin on things that he can. No point in his throwing players under the bus.

Congratulations on a great season and have a Happy New Year!

Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish

Dec 30, 2018, 3:11 PM

Kelly's choice of words is interesting. The opportunity was what we call at Clemson a football game.

Re: Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish

Dec 30, 2018, 4:38 PM

I don't know why everyone is so offended by that. Maybe it was his tone of voice. But having a bunch of high hopes crushed will do that to a guy. Anyway, I completely agree with you. Why the hell wouldn't you take advantage of opportunities given you? If your DL can run through our OL like it isn't there, do you deny yourselves the opportunity to do so? Of course not.

Re: Tigers were "opportunistic" in attacking Irish

Dec 30, 2018, 8:04 PM

No, people are offended by it because quite frankly they are tired of his delusional s#%t! We kept our mouths shut for quite some time while every press conference he gave or statement he told the media was as awkward and cringe inducing as possible, but the dude just does not....GIVE...UP....and not in the good way, but on the EXCUSES.

So yeah, people are offended because he has the freaking audacity to EVEN suggest there isn't that much of a disparity between the talent, coaching, potential, programs, whatever...EVERYTHING between our two teams. And the truth is he is just out of his mind wrong in that regard. The difference between our two teams is about as apparent as the difference between waking up in your bed on Earth or waking up in your bed that was somehow miraculously teleported to an asteroid floating through the asteroid belt.

He's just an absolute dimwit but I guess he knows what this game did and he's trying his very best to save his job. He knows that this game put a FORK and I mean a FINAL FORK into ND EVER getting back to that game as an independent. SO he's trying to PR this thing from every angle he possibly can...

But people just don't want to hear that shiz after witnessing the TRUTH and especially so SOON after it.

He should have just complemented us and kept his mouth SHUT at worst. And at best if he wanted to acknowledge they were WOEFULLY OUTMATCHED, it would have been a nice touch that most people would have given him a pat on the back for manning up to state the obvious.

Anyways, seems you live in the same fake world that he does...so whatever dude. Just..stay happy I guess. LMAO

“Opportunistic”. Must be Irish for “far superior”.

Dec 30, 2018, 3:14 PM

Opportunistic on capitalizing on losing Love. Oh wait a minute, they didn’t have Big Dex from the start and we knew that before the game. What an unfair advantage. Never mind.

Roar Tigers

Re: “Opportunistic”. Must be Irish for “far superior”.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:50 PM

You guys showed that your depth is a whole lot better than ours. Simple as that.

Re: “Opportunistic”. Must be Irish for “far superior”.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:09 AM

Maybe that's what your coach should have said... Instead of whining about people being opportunistic knowing they were able to double team Christian Wilkins solely because Dexter wasn't in the game. I'd say that's being "opportunistic" too... Wouldn't you?

Lugubrious, Opportunistic..ND should start a Scrabble team

Dec 30, 2018, 3:31 PM

and just give up football.

blah, blah, blah.......bottom line, you got your ### whipped***

Dec 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

What surprised me was that...

Dec 30, 2018, 4:22 PM

he went from talking about needing to do a better job preparing his team to 'Fate screwed us again.'

I would have said, 'We won 13 games and made the playoff field. That's what we're going to build upon and we'll all do our best again next year to repeat the success.'

I don't know why coaches feel they need to explain a loss. They usually revert to placing blame and ignore that the responsibility for any loss is planted firmly on the coaching staff's failure to recruit, develop and plan to succeed.

Cheap minds resort to placing blame on failure when it all comes down to personal responsibility. If Clemson fans have learned nothing since Dabo took the HC job we should at least know that. How many times has he said we hold each other accountable for our responsibilities. All blame stays in house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What surprised me was that...

Dec 30, 2018, 4:48 PM

Yeah, I completely agree. Kelly tends to say whatever is in his mind, and to heck with the consequences. The consequences are that people get mad at him a lot, even when he's right. I'm not saying he was right this time, but reading the whole thing I can't disagree with what he said.

Except the part that we would have been close in the fourth. That's unlikely. If that fumble had stayed in bounds (it didn't), and we had scored a TD (we might have); if Love hadn't gotten hurt, or if Vaughn had batted that ball down instead of up (allowing a brilliant catch with a few seconds left in the half), it might well have been 14-10 going into the half.

But you legitimately held our offense to three, as Kelly acknowledged. The mismatch between our respective lines paralyzed our offense, and that's all there is to it. There was no way we were holding you to three, or even 10. So, I don't see where we could have won.

That's ok. We're better than we were in 2012. Let's see what happens in the next two or three years. Great game, and now go show Alabama that their offense isn't a whole lot better than ours.

He would have been wrong. Only won 12 games. :)

Dec 31, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to What surprised me was that... ]

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2018, 6:06 PM

So Love had a head injury? He got up off the field holding his hamstring, spent time on the bike getting it loose then came back in the game. That's not a head injury. Kelly doesn't even know what is going on with his players. If according to him ND has same talent as Clemson then the butt-whipping must be due to coaching.
Actually it showed ND got in on name only.

Dec 30, 2018, 9:36 PM

Name only is more of the truth than most will admit!!!

Dec 30, 2018, 11:41 PM

Coach Kelly also said they were one play away from winning the last time they played Clemson. Go back to the Dreamworld Farm.

Dabo was opportunistic

Dec 31, 2018, 8:14 AM

I like the way Dabo took control of this game and protected his team. He didn't let the Notre Dame mystique have an affect on his chance of winning. There were turnovers early in the game where ND could have gotten breaks they didn't deserve. He didn't let the refs or opponent get away with it. Playing ND is like playing UNC in basketball - you got to beat the other team and the refs.

What a Putz

Dec 31, 2018, 9:15 AM

I listened/watched that press conference- twice. I lost all respect, if any, that I had for Kelly. Instead of just admitting that Clemson has the better team this year, he set forth all kinds of excuses. The “opportunistic“ part was all about Love going down and out. Then the four plays were the reason they lost the game. Then he talked poorly about his back-up players and suggested they didn’t do their jobs. Bottom line, he thinks that on a different night Notre Dame could’ve beaten us. This year, that might be true one out of 10 times, but the other nine there is no way. While we started slow, that game was never in question. As I sat there in the stands, the only question Saturday afternoon was how wide the point margin would be. And, you take away those for opportunistic plays, they still only score 3 points. Can we say that Notre Dame was opportunistic and getting those three points because Dexter was out? So Kelly, the next time we play Notre Dame, get ready for another dominating performance by the Tigers because this bulletin board material is rich. Oh, by the way, next time you were at a press conference, don’t spend the entire time with your head in your hands and your hands on your face looking so dejected because you just got beat by a better team.

blame the kid for being all over the receivers

Dec 31, 2018, 9:57 AM

and not stopping them when they catch the ball with one hand or over the head. Both Rosses and Tees catches were great catches and the defender was in a good position. Ross just got away from him on the TD and there was no safety help. The streaking TD was on the safety and not the corner.

Re: blame the kid for being all over the receivers

Jan 1, 2019, 9:44 AM

The ND defender could not have played Tee Higgins much better on the TD. That was a back breaker right before the half!

Jan 1, 2019, 9:47 AM

It seemed to me the Kelly was medicated during this game! He seemed way too calm, particularly when some of the calls went against ND. Is he okay? Health problems?

Jan 1, 2019, 10:56 AM

Like “opportunistic “ is a bad thing ? Lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Kelly is just one of those coaches who will never lose a

Jan 1, 2019, 12:07 PM

game and admit he got whipped. This is why it torques me off sometimes when Dabo calls off the dogs early. That game could have been 50-3 if we wanted. What would Kelly have said then, other than "They ran up the score on purpose." Bring them on in 2020, dig up the Gipper and kick his a$$ too. Notre Dame is right up there with Texas and Nebraska in still trying to live off past glories. (BOTH those schools have won Natties since Notre Dame last won one.)

Jan 1, 2019, 12:52 PM

He didn’t mention the opportunity ND had with one of our best DL players that didn’t dress for the game

Replies: 88
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic