Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I played basketball all my life
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,476

I played basketball all my life

Feb 10, 2020, 7:35 AM

Played through high school, played AAU ball in the summer, had a couple offers from small schools. So I’ve had a lot of different coaches and there are definitely those out there that for some reason hate to see there players shoot the ball. Brad is one of these coaches and good scorers hate playing for them. Someone asked in another thread why he doesn’t recruit shooters. He’s one of those defensive minded coaches that wants his players to pass it around 20 times until they get the high percentage shot. Problem is this takes your better scorers out of their game and increases the likelihood for turnovers and it’s why we can only win when the other team has a poor shooting night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I played basketball all my life

Feb 10, 2020, 7:56 AM

9-34 3s. Our only good 3 shooter went 5-7. Somebody else was shooting the ball. And by position took just as many 3 pt shots as he did.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 7:58 AM

I like your assessment. Don't get me wrong. I like a good defensive performance, but the last time I checked I thought the idea was to score more points than your opponent, and you do that by putting the ball in the basket.
Why do you think they call it a basket? Because back in the good old days, you would put the ball in the basket, then take the basket down, retrieve the ball, hang the basket back on the wall and do it again.
Now maybe if you were Dean Smith, you could play 4 corners. But when was the last time you recalled Brad Brownell recruiting a Michael Jordan?

Feb 10, 2020, 8:03 AM

I had a coach in high school that made us run 4 corners the entire game. True story. He's probably a huge Brownell fan.

Feb 10, 2020, 7:59 AM

Nobody loves Clemson more than you. It must pain you to write that.

beginning of the year we were running a back cut style

Feb 10, 2020, 8:16 AM

high - low rotation offense. Where someone would come up to the top and there were always back cutters going to the bucket which opened up the offense to be more than just 4 guys around the 3 point line like yesterday. What happened to that? I've watched clemson bball for 35 years and i'd say thats was teh first time i had watch a Clemson offense look like they knew what they were doing. It was short-lived. It was the wake, UNC and Duke games where we did that to perfection. I'm sure we have been game-planned since then and thats why they aren't doing it. But games like yesterday i thought it was there but we were content with 3 pointers (like usual.)

Re: beginning of the year we were running a back cut style

Feb 10, 2020, 8:26 AM

how many "great" shooters has Clemson ever had? don't tell me butch Z or skip wise.. butch was a "volume" guy. skip was more of a "scorer". whitney did it for a year devoe did it for a year. other guys- van gregg, abraham, etc.. have been streaky guys. don't buy the theory that the problem is just on BB. think you can ask the same question of Tates, foster, cliff, barnes, op. Loved boogie and KC.. but again, more "scorer" than "pure shooter."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not many at all, which is why that back cut, high low game

Feb 10, 2020, 8:45 AM

was phenomenal and i was hoping it would be the new normal.

Re: beginning of the year we were running a back cut style

Feb 10, 2020, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: beginning of the year we were running a back cut style ]

Skip could play some nasty defense as I remember it . He was quite the pickpocket. And he was a great shooter .
He probably should have shot more . He was a very unselfish player . Dude averaged 18.4 points per game .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teams adjusted

Feb 10, 2020, 2:34 PM [ in reply to beginning of the year we were running a back cut style ]

they took away Simms in the high post, quit overplaying on the perimeter, and let us take 3's

Feb 10, 2020, 8:20 AM

Seems to work pretty well for Virginia.

Did you ever stop to think that it may be easier for Clemson to recruit great defenders and hustlers than it would be to recruit great shooters ?

Feb 10, 2020, 8:36 AM

It doesn’t seem to be working. One tournament appearance in 10 years.

I liked our previous coach’s formula. Recruit athletes and get up and down the floor.

Feb 10, 2020, 3:19 PM

There’s still going to be some that complain about that .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I played basketball all my life ]

The previous coach never won a tournament game. Quit propping him up.

I'm confused.

Feb 10, 2020, 3:35 PM

You say that Brad is defensive-minded and doesn't encourage shooting.

Yet I read another post here saying that Brad allows his players to shoot too many three pointers.

Which is it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I'm confused.

Feb 10, 2020, 3:56 PM

I can’t speak for what someone else said. Brad’s philosophy will not work at Clemson. We don’t recruit well enough. Been saying it for a decade.

We are Mississippi St. trying to play smash mouth football in the SEC west.

Feb 10, 2020, 5:10 PM

Haven’t played b-ball since HS very long ago but have watched Clemson b-ball fir 35+ years. I don’t pretend to know much about b-ball but I do understand identity and under Brad we don’t seem to have one that I can discern unless you count boring.
Good coaches have an identity but adjust it to their players capabilities and the opponent. In 10+ years of watching Brad I have seen no identity and few adjustments. As if that isn’t bad enough there is no excuse at all for poor free throw shooting. That is the one thing from my HS days that still applies.

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,476
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic