Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: "Zerrick's been here." Elliott breaks down Cooper-Johnson QB battle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

New Story: "Zerrick's been here." Elliott breaks down Cooper-Johnson QB battle

Oct 23, 2017, 1:00 PM

"Zerrick's been here." Elliott breaks down Cooper-Johnson QB battle

Questions surround Clemson’s offense this week as the seventh-ranked Tigers prepare to take on Georgia Tech, and many of those questions are about the health of starting quarterback Kelly Bryant and backups Zerrick Cooper and Hunter Johnson.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3-2-1...***

Oct 23, 2017, 1:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

OMG ... the staff is passing on Larry Bird***

Oct 23, 2017, 1:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

again that still does not explain

Oct 23, 2017, 1:07 PM

why johnson was not given at least a series or two to try and spark the offense when it was painfully clear cooper was not going to do squat

"Naturally..." +1.***

Oct 23, 2017, 1:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Naturally..." +1.***

Oct 23, 2017, 1:58 PM

Disagree. What some seem to forget is that the spark may happen, but it also possible HJ makes a mistake and puts us further in the hole. Does anyone really think these kinds of thoughts don't happen with our coaches? Absurd. Dabo has maintained he's trying to win. He's proven he wins. The fact that we had a couple of key injuries wasn't the reason we lost. Cuse just beat us. Out-tackled, out-blocked, etc. Period. I don't think Teck can beat us with any our QBs playing. We'll be ready. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 4:53 PM

ZC had his chances to make his mistakes and he did make them, so you are saying that HJ didn't deserve his chance bc he may have made a mistake. Are you writing your words just to have something to write about, bc what you are writing makes no seance at all. HJ didn't get a chance bc he may have made a mistake, the whole team and coaches were making mistakes, but they will make d a m n sure HJ don't get his chance to be successful, or a chance to do what the team was doing as a team, making mistakes. My my how the excuse pot gets thicker and thicker the more that it gets stirred!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:

Oct 23, 2017, 8:29 PM

Agreed. I went back and watched every single throw Cooper made and dispitethe padding of his stats with short throws it was pretty horrendous. Had Renfrow not saved two pathetic passes he would have been1 for 5 on passes over 7 yards with two 10 feet over the receivers head. He even airmailed a pass behind the line. This is all on top of disgusting downfield passing against WF. At some point game film has to take the lead.

Message was edited by: Shuffli21

Oct 23, 2017, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Re: "Naturally..." +1.*** ]

Not that I wouldn't like to see HJ-for the reason just to see what he can do but what does "but they will make d a m n sure HJ don't get his chance to be successful"?
They-being the coaching staff- have some perceived ulterior motive to keep HJ off the field??
2015-undefeated until Alabama. 2016-1 loss-National championship. 2017-Lost 1 so far.

I would say they know what they are doing. If Streeter thinks Cooper is more game ready then he is. He works with him every day of the week. At this point I would think Zerrick can read defenses better. Did you see what Cuse's D was doing to us. If we had a kicker who could perform we could have tied or even won.

I didn't like KB out there because he was hurt and players playing hurt usually get injured worse and he did. I would have liked to see him on the sidelines just for his health. I do think that was a bad decision because it's something I am well versed on.

So "No" I don't agree with everything they did but then again, I'm a dumba$$ about knowing how to plan anything with plays and players. It is not my profession. I can tell you most everything as I am watching it and afterwards but picking the play to run in real time--I'll leave that to them

Oct 24, 2017, 9:10 AM

Be assured that I personally don't have a problem with you expressing your opinion bc, I believe that is what this Tiger fan board was originally created for, for Tiger fans to express their opinion of what we believe we see or hear. So in no way am I going to try and discredit your post. For me it was interesting of how you saw things in the Cuse game. My opinion of the Cuse game is this, by not trying the talents that HJ has, based from what we saw HJ do with his chance to perform in the Wake game compared to how ZC performed against the same defense. I think that the opinion of everybody that watched HJ in the Wake game, is that HJ killed it with his chance in that game when compared to ZC performance. That is what I base my opinion of the Cuse game on. I think that it would have been worth the risk of bringing HJ in and giving him a chance to settle things down enough to lead us to a score before Cuse had a chance to run out the clock. I believe that "if" HJ could have scored at that point in the game, I believe that our D would have sucked it up and stopped Cuse from coming back to win the game. We will never now how special HJ might have been. He was a big time star player in HS, and maybe he could have been for us in the Cuse game, I mean it was Cuse, and not Bama....

Oct 23, 2017, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: "Naturally..." +1.*** ]

Bad coaching moves by Clemson too

Oct 25, 2017, 6:32 AM [ in reply to Re: "Naturally..." +1.*** ]

Seriously? I support our staff completely but everyone clearly saw that DeShaun should have been in over Cole. So there is history here.
Now, we see Hunter play amazing in a game and Zerrick miss open receivers by 15 yards but we hear that Zerrick is better in practice.
I don’t know what the right move is. But I know most fans feel like we should have seen Hunter get a chance after the previous game. When our coaches say Zerrick has been here longer, it sounds like Cole and DeShaun all over again.

Once we left KB in for 4 straight punts in the first half

Oct 23, 2017, 1:43 PM [ in reply to again that still does not explain ]

after he was obviously immobile and unproductive, we didn't get many possessions to provide an opportunity for HJ to play.

The first possession for Cooper in the second half was a punt. The next possession was a touchdown, then a field goal, then a missed field goal. Our last drive ended on downs. So, that was only 5 drives and he put us in position to score on three of them. Not sure at what point they should have put HJ in given that.

If we pull KB sooner, it's a much stronger argument to put HJ in and see what he can do. With only 5 possessions after KB went out, it's understandable that they did not.

Personally, I want to see what HJ can do. Even the coaches say that HJ has played much better in games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed

Oct 23, 2017, 2:41 PM

There's no more popular player amongst fans than the QB that's sitting on the bench.

Re: agreed

Oct 24, 2017, 11:05 PM

Only when that player is a 4* or 5* qb

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

third and long...***

Oct 23, 2017, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Once we left KB in for 4 straight punts in the first half ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Once we left KB in for 4 straight punts in the first half

Oct 23, 2017, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Once we left KB in for 4 straight punts in the first half ]

The drive was scored had nothing to do with Cooper and all running back

Re: again that still does not explain

Oct 23, 2017, 1:44 PM [ in reply to again that still does not explain ]

If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got. Cooper has not performed very well in the games we've seen. Hunter has, albeit we haven't seen him very much. Hunter led us right down the field for a TD in about 5 plays his last time out. Cooper, not so much, and when he was in, he didn't look that comfortable from the stands. Sorry, but it was out there for the world to see. If he can do it in the games, he needs to be in the games, especially when the other guy falters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 11:59 PM [ in reply to again that still does not explain ]

Exactly.....wish these coaches would just admit they monked up this one and it probably cost us the game.....but I think they will get it fixed by GT game and we will win this one big.....Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 24, 2017, 8:29 AM

Let's hope so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: "Zerrick's been here." Elliott breaks down Cooper-Johnson QB battle

Oct 23, 2017, 1:14 PM

But he said that Johnson is more comfortable in game,.. sooooo.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!

Re: New Story: "Zerrick's been here." Elliott breaks down Cooper-Johnson QB battle

Oct 23, 2017, 1:27 PM

After the cuse debacle: I remember someone saying that HJ is a GAMER, but according to some doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is INSANITY!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 1:29 PM

Tony Robbins

Oct 23, 2017, 11:46 PM

Sorry I couldn't help it Albert Einstein

Oct 23, 2017, 1:28 PM

Elliott was basically like, "Go talk to Streeter, man."

I basically heard, "not my call, man"....

Oct 23, 2017, 1:40 PM

And if you read into Jeff Scott's comments, he's basically saying the same thing...."not my decision"

Some Have It Some Don't

Oct 23, 2017, 1:54 PM

I managed to learn one thing from Psychology class in Bracket; I'll never forget the terms "Social Inhibition" vs. "Social Facilitation". Some guys like DW4 when the lights turn on they Turn UP! I saw it in Etienne our first game. Ben Boulware was prime example, even taking him beyond his physical dimensions. Some guys shrink back like ZC. Before the season I was all for ZC but he seems to be affected by the lights. Not saying he won't get his confidence but he does not have it now. GIVE HJ a shot please!! Kid could be Special. Give the Kid the ball!

Re: Some Have It Some Don't

Oct 24, 2017, 11:28 AM

Some guys may practice better than others, and there are those guys that can and will ball out when the the lights are turned on. It's strange I know, but it do happen a lot!!! Just like the coaches thought that Cole had shown to be the better QB in practice, but DW4 was the best QB in the game!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Oct 24, 2017, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "Zerrick's been here." Elliott breaks down Cooper-Johnson QB battle ]

What would cause Brandon Streeter to go with a mediocre QB with experience over a young superstar right behind him?

Oct 23, 2017, 1:49 PM

Go to beach
Dig hole
Stick head in hole
Lather, rinse, repeat

This is Cole Stoudt all over again

Oct 23, 2017, 1:54 PM

I don't post here much and by no means a football guru. But I think he said ZC was better in practice and HJ is better in the actual game. My question is when they meet GT is it going to be a practice or an actual game????
Trust me, GT will figure this out a lot faster than Clemson!
Just saying.....

Oct 23, 2017, 1:59 PM

Streeter showing favoritism to ZC because he’s the first qb he recruited

Oct 23, 2017, 2:00 PM

you really just typed that huh.

Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014?

Oct 23, 2017, 2:16 PM

Okay, first, I am an All-In, the coaches always know what they are doing, Clemson supporter. But as a die-hard Clemson fan, IPTAY donor forever, sender of all three kids to Clemson, etc., I can complain when I see what I saw with coaching decisions at Syracuse. I didn't say a word on here after the Syracuse debacle, but after I saw that headline - "Zerrick's been here" - I just have to speak up. Again, this might be the first negative thing about Clemson, its coaches, or its players that I have ever posted so it doesn't feel right, but I just have to. So, here goes.

First, I don't have any problem with starting KB last week. He likely told the coaches all week in practice that he was fine and "I can go coach". And, he probably could have gone and won the game if our superstar backs had blocked better for him (I counted 3 missed blocks in the first half while KB was in there). So, no complaint about starting KB last week. BUT, that is where the complaining begins. I was at the Chicago Clemson alumni bar (I was on a business trip) filled with Clemson supporters and all orange trimmings and Tiger Bombs (if you have never had one, I highly recommend going to Wriggleyville to the Full Shilling Pub and getting a few during a Clemson game) and it was painfully obvious that Kelly could not go full speed after the first hit on him. He was limping. We all were screaming at the TV to take him out. I mean, if we are loaded at any one position on the team, I thought it was QB (and WR, of course). Granted none of them are DW4 and never will be, but surely they can sub in for Kelly. Anyway, that is my complaint #1. Complaint #2 is a hard one to make because I am not a coach and I don't see what happens at practice and I don't know which one "knows" the Clemson offense better. But, I can absolutely see with my own eyes that in game situations, Hunter is the BETTER QB between him and Z. And, from my view in the stands, it is not even close. Elliott mentioned that Hunter has to be reminded on the read pass option calls sometimes. Well, if that is a problem, then don't call that play. Just call a dang drop back pass to a streaking Deon Cain down the field or call a pass over the middle to Hunter Renfrow (I promise you that Hunter will catch anything thrown to him) or put in one of the other very talented receivers and throw the ball down the field! Or, better yet, remember those 2 outstanding running backs that can't really block yet? Well, hand them the ball and then you don't have to worry about them blocking. It's really not that hard (and, of course, from my armchair coaching booth, it's a really easy call to make a week later!). And, here goes complaint #3. I understand that we only had 5 second half possessions, but last week, Hunter and Z were listed both as #2 on the depth chart with an "OR" (interesting that this week, they have Hunter listed #3 and Z listed as #2). If you are going to make the mistake of putting Z in there first, then at least do it 2 and 2 possessions each to see who has the hot hand. I know Z scored on his second possession, but why not give Hunter a chance on possessions 3 and 4? And, then you have a real decision to make depending on the "hot hand" which the coaches talk about ALL the time with respect to running backs. Why is it any different for quarterbacks? And, then, finally, complaint #4. Don't make an excuse after the game a week later and say things like: "It wasn't my call. It was Streeter's/Dabo's." Just say "we did what we thought was best and it didn't work out". If I were Dabo, I would be a little miffed about the co-offensive coordinator laying the blame elsewhere, even if it is true. Just say, we made a mistake in both the personnel choice and the play calling. Period. And, really finally, don't say that the QB you put in has "been here" and that is why you played him! That is EXACTLY what they said in September 2014 about why Cole Stoudt was playing the first two games over DW4. I don't have to rant and rave about that because everybody, including Dabo, knows.

So, I've said my peace. I am sure my 100% Tiger Supporter rating will likely plummet now. And, I don't plan on complaining ever again (until a coach does/says things like this after a debacle). Go Tigers. Let's get to the ACC Championship game, win it, and play for back-to-back-to-back down the road in Atlanta!!!

Re: Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014?

Oct 23, 2017, 3:13 PM

You have all my complaints or concerns covered. Good job of getting it out there. The coaches just have to do a better job of coaching up our kids when we play the Syracuses and South Carolina's of the world or we'll be "Clemsoning" again. One other thing: I cannot understand the defensive philosophy of leaving the tight end, slot receiver, or RB to run free down the middle of the field. It happens way to often not to be part of the defensive plan....just saying. Ga Tech has obviously seen this and will probably get a couple of gift TD's this way as this year's Tech QB can actually pass the ball. Get ready Tigers because we have some monster games coming up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~this~well written complaints in a humble manner, thanks .63***

Oct 23, 2017, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

TL;DR.***

Oct 23, 2017, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

It's sad you have to apologize for a well-reasoned opinion.

Oct 23, 2017, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

I agree with you. It's sad that the nature of the T-Net commentariat makes you feel compelled to apologetically preface a well-reasoned opinion, and worry about your TigerPulse.

Oct 23, 2017, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

Good post. Seemed like the game I watched as well.

The defensive play magnified it all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

You don't have to apologies for a thing. This is AMERICA and can have your own opinion which are the same most of us have been stating since the last game. Hopefully the guys are getting in some great practice and film study to correct the mistakes and have a great game this weekend. GO TIGERS!!!!

Oct 23, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

> Okay, first, I am an All-In, the coaches always know
> what they are doing, Clemson supporter. But as a
> die-hard Clemson fan, IPTAY donor forever, sender of
> all three kids to Clemson, etc., I can complain when
> I see what I saw with coaching decisions at Syracuse.
> I didn't say a word on here after the Syracuse
> e debacle, but after I saw that headline - "Zerrick's
> been here" - I just have to speak up. Again, this
> might be the first negative thing about Clemson, its
> coaches, or its players that I have ever posted so it
> doesn't feel right, but I just have to. So, here
> goes.
>
> First, I don't have any problem with starting KB last
> week. He likely told the coaches all week in
> practice that he was fine and "I can go coach". And,
> he probably could have gone and won the game if our
> superstar backs had blocked better for him (I counted
> 3 missed blocks in the first half while KB was in
> there). So, no complaint about starting KB last
> week. BUT, that is where the complaining begins. I
> was at the Chicago Clemson alumni bar (I was on a
> business trip) filled with Clemson supporters and all
> orange trimmings and Tiger Bombs (if you have never
> had one, I highly recommend going to Wriggleyville to
> the Full Shilling Pub and getting a few during a
> Clemson game) and it was painfully obvious that Kelly
> could not go full speed after the first hit on him.
> He was limping. We all were screaming at the TV to
> o take him out. I mean, if we are loaded at any one
> position on the team, I thought it was QB (and WR, of
> course). Granted none of them are DW4 and never will
> be, but surely they can sub in for Kelly. Anyway,
> that is my complaint #1. Complaint #2 is a hard one
> to make because I am not a coach and I don't see what
> happens at practice and I don't know which one
> "knows" the Clemson offense better. But, I can
> absolutely see with my own eyes that in game
> situations, Hunter is the BETTER QB between him and
> Z. And, from my view in the stands, it is not even
> close. Elliott mentioned that Hunter has to be
> reminded on the read pass option calls sometimes.
> Well, if that is a problem, then don't call that
> t play. Just call a dang drop back pass to a
> streaking Deon Cain down the field or call a pass
> over the middle to Hunter Renfrow (I promise you that
> Hunter will catch anything thrown to him) or put in
> one of the other very talented receivers and throw
> the ball down the field! Or, better yet, remember
> those 2 outstanding running backs that can't really
> block yet? Well, hand them the ball and then you
> don't have to worry about them blocking. It's really
> not that hard (and, of course, from my armchair
> coaching booth, it's a really easy call to make a
> week later!). And, here goes complaint #3. I
> understand that we only had 5 second half
> possessions, but last week, Hunter and Z were listed
> both as #2 on the depth chart with an "OR"
> (interesting that this week, they have Hunter listed
> #3 and Z listed as #2). If you are going to make the
> mistake of putting Z in there first, then at least do
> it 2 and 2 possessions each to see who has the hot
> hand. I know Z scored on his second possession, but
> why not give Hunter a chance on possessions 3 and 4?
> And, then you have a real decision to make depending
> g on the "hot hand" which the coaches talk about ALL
> the time with respect to running backs. Why is it
> any different for quarterbacks? And, then, finally,
> complaint #4. Don't make an excuse after the game a
> week later and say things like: "It wasn't my call.
> It was Streeter's/Dabo's." Just say "we did what we
> e thought was best and it didn't work out". If I
> were Dabo, I would be a little miffed about the
> co-offensive coordinator laying the blame elsewhere,
> even if it is true. Just say, we made a mistake in
> both the personnel choice and the play calling.
> Period. And, really finally, don't say that the QB
> B you put in has "been here" and that is why you
> played him! That is EXACTLY what they said in
> September 2014 about why Cole Stoudt was playing the
> first two games over DW4. I don't have to rant and
> rave about that because everybody, including Dabo,
> knows.
>
> So, I've said my peace. I am sure my 100% Tiger
> Supporter rating will likely plummet now. And, I
> don't plan on complaining ever again (until a coach
> does/says things like this after a debacle). Go
> Tigers. Let's get to the ACC Championship game, win
> it, and play for back-to-back-to-back down the road
> in Atlanta!!!

I agree

Let September 2014 go.

Oct 24, 2017, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

DW was a true freshman who had been hurt in spring practice. He probably wasn't ready. And a healthy Cole Stoudt was good enough to blow out Oklahoma.

Whoever you think should have started the UGA game, neither Cole Stoudt nor Deshaun Watson was going to do anything to keep Todd Gurley from running all over us. When a team gains over 300 yards on the ground on you, the QB is not the problem.

DW played most of the FSU game. Before that, Stoudt led a drive that ended in a missed chip shot FG. No running game and two missed FGs is why we lost that one.

Finally, Chad Morris made that call and he has moved on.

Oct 24, 2017, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Didn't We Hear That Same Thing in September 2014? ]

Solid points. It didn’t feel like we had any spice or juice in the game. I hope they let Bryant sit out this week and give his ankle a rest. If they do that hopefully they will rotate cooper and Johnson early to see who has it and then keep that person in there the entire game

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 23, 2017, 2:21 PM

Sooooo glad we have a backup that is a practice guy that showed 2 games now he can't put it together in games playing instead of the one he says is the guy that gets it in the game but needs help in practices. This really makes total sense.

Oct 23, 2017, 2:36 PM

Let me see if I read this correctly. Bryant cleared from concussion protocol. What about ankle injury? Is he 100% healed up, with no almost 100% ? Cooper is better in practice than Johnson, but Johnson is better in game than Cooper. If this is the case, Bryant starts, if he limps or is not productive, put Cooper in. If Cooper 3 and out with no real production, put Johnson in. Could of put Johnson in on last possession and at least tried vs Syracuse. I don't buy the argument that he could of put us deeper in the hole. Cooper didn't get us out of hole we were in. Whats going to happen next year when Trevor Lawrence comes in January as a true freshman and has a really good spring and summer, then fall camp he is the better QB and doesn't get playing time because he is a freshman. Got to at least try. Just a litthe food for thought. GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 23, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quack quack quack

"Zerrick's been here." ?

Oct 23, 2017, 3:02 PM

I liked that "we will play the guys that give us the best chance to win, period" philosophy and then do it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Know Z has "been here", "has the strongest arm", however

Oct 23, 2017, 3:45 PM

he has never shown any downfield accuracy or running ability in game situations.

Oct 23, 2017, 4:40 PM

Well just maybe they all should be on the same page of who the QB will be before there is ever a play put in action before any game is played. There is no way in h&ll or high water that the same plays will work with a different QB bc they all have a different skill set that won't match up from one QB to the other. As coaches, they should know and believe that the players expect them to put them in situations that will fit them and their skill set bc one size will never fit all!!!

Oct 23, 2017, 4:47 PM

That mind-set cost Clemson a game the other day. What advantage does knowing the system provide if one can't operate the system, or can operate the system but can't make plays. I had much rather have a QB that maybe don't know as much, but makes plays and can score simply because he is a winner.
I believe if we continue with this attitude, we will loose at least one, maybe two more games. I hope and pray that I am wrong.

I believe Clemson has the best Coaches, players and Fans of any team in the Country. Go Tigers.

Are you kidding me?

Oct 23, 2017, 4:52 PM

Your staff said Bryant was totally healthy from an ankle sprain and clearly wasn't Even if he has two weeks which isn't nearly enough as you could hear one the announcers saying it takes up to 4-5 weeks for a sprain to completely heal and that's without playing on it. I don't trust your decision making nor your idea on only giving our running backs 12 touches total which both are clearly breakout backs.

The Emperor's New Clothes?

Oct 23, 2017, 5:38 PM

A lot of truth in cliched fairy tales. But bigger than QB issue, just win baby.

QB play was adequate. We lost because our defense

Oct 23, 2017, 5:58 PM

was a no show and we could not make 2 routine FGs.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

No. We scored 24 pts. Syracuse D averages 24.6.

Oct 23, 2017, 6:36 PM

Clemson's O far out-talents Syracuse's D, so our O should have scored far more than Cuse's D's average against a schedule that included Central Connecticut, MTSU, & C-Mich.

QB play was inadequate. Bryant performed poorly because he was hobbled and in pain. Cooper just isn't very good. Too many off-target passes, including failure-to-lead and including wide-open off-target likely-TD passes.

The D under-performed but that was in part because our O couldn't stay on the field.

Bad decision to start a hobbled Bryant and to back him up with Cooper. Johnson is clearly the better passer, which is what's needed for WRU.

our defense gave up 15 points more

Oct 23, 2017, 7:05 PM

than average. 24 was more than enuf to win if our d shows up....and we have 30 with a routine fg game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

No. Our D gave up 2.8 points LESS than Cuse's avg opponent.

Oct 23, 2017, 7:49 PM

Our O scored 0.6 points LESS than Cuse's average opponent.

Clemson's D was disappointing, but Clemson's O under-performed worse than Clemson's D and consequently, it put Clemson's D on the field far too long.

Clemson's QB play was mediocre at best. Bryant couldn't pass or run well because he was hurt. Cooper just isn't very good and missed too many wide-open passes. That's not the D's fault. That's the coaches' fault. They shouldn't have played Bryant or Cooper.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

Re: No. Our D gave up 2.8 points LESS than Cuse's avg opponent.

Oct 23, 2017, 8:03 PM

Cooper can't run well or throw accurate deep passes. He may know the system but he sucks as a qb. Johnson can do both. He will at Clemson or the school he transfers to. That is sheer bs by Elliott. Watson made him good. He's an average offensive coordinator.

Re: Raw Numbers

Oct 23, 2017, 8:55 PM

Hunter Johnson: 3 years high school (6A), 860 pass attempts, 56 td, 32 int.
ESPN rating:
Scout grade 88
1 position
1 region
1 state
21st ESPN 300

Zerrick Cooper: 2 years high school (4A), 205 pass attempts, 14 td, 4 int.
ESPN rating:
Scout grade 82
9 position
104 region
22 state
217th ESPN 300

Food for thought!

Re: Raw Numbers

Oct 24, 2017, 5:27 PM

Stats give you the likely answer:

Hunter Johnson is interception prone and the coaching staff is terrified of turnovers. Better Cooper go three and out than Johnson throw a pick.

Our offensive philosophy for 2015 and 2016 was to let DW be DW and give him as many opportunities as possible. For 2017, our offensive philosophy is to control the ball and let the defense win the game.

Unfortunately, Syracuse's O matched up very well against our D, they had a great game plan, they executed it well, and we couldn't adjust.

Still, we should have been able to win the shootout, given how bad Syracuse's D is, but our offense was totally unprepared for that kind of game. We had no plan to protect KB, no plan to win with a hobbled KB (like DW against SC), and no plan to win with the backups. This is on the coaching staff, and they know it.

Re: No. We scored 24 pts. Syracuse D averages 24.6.

Oct 24, 2017, 12:03 AM [ in reply to No. We scored 24 pts. Syracuse D averages 24.6. ]

> Clemson's O far out-talents Syracuse's D, so our O
> should have scored far more than Cuse's D's average
> against a schedule that included Central Connecticut,
> MTSU, & C-Mich.
>
> QB play was inadequate. Bryant performed poorly
> because he was hobbled and in pain. Cooper just
> isn't very good. Too many off-target passes,
> including failure-to-lead and including wide-open
> off-target likely-TD passes.
>
> The D under-performed but that was in part because
> our O couldn't stay on the field.
>
> Bad decision to start a hobbled Bryant and to back
> him up with Cooper. Johnson is clearly the better
> passer, which is what's needed for WRU.

You do know players read this stuff as well as recruits?
Is it really good to attack a player's abilities when he is out there working as hard as he can?
Is this what you want a 4 or 5 star recruit to read?Of course, you have the right to say anything you want within Tigernet guidelines but you may want to consider the ramifications of your words

How silly. You don't know that. Same stuff at all schools.

Oct 24, 2017, 2:40 AM

Got any proof that our QBs or Trevor Lawrence are wasting their time reading this garbage while managing school-work, football, and a social life?

Got any proof that it has any impact on them?

Go any proof that they wouldn't see similar comments at other schools?

If QBs are impacted by comments on message boards, do you want them playing on the big stage under the pressure of 85,000 screaming fans?

How silly.

So the players may read this stuff...

Oct 24, 2017, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: No. We scored 24 pts. Syracuse D averages 24.6. ]

I do not think what's printed here is a real surprise to the players. I think they may just see the same things that we do when we state the obvious in a civil and objective manner. I agree with most that our coaches are paid a lot of money to win and play the ones that truly give us the best chance to win but I would have thought that HJ's performance in the Wake game would have elevated him further than "co-second string" as was stated. As far as the Cuse game, everyone in my house was screaming at the TV to "take KB out of the game before he really gets hurt" and that same thought should have crossed the coaches' minds once it was obvious he could not run or accurately throw on that ankle. Just one other question, does anyone remember that bubble screen resulting in positive yards this year? Frustrating to watch 6 guys show up for the tackle every time we line up for this play. I think we should start faking this play and throw it just over the defenders as there will be nothing but green grass.... Go Tigers! Heads and Arms up!

Message was edited by: tigerpaw68®

Oct 23, 2017, 11:56 PM

Just stop it with all this BS because I am not buying it.....HJ has earned and deserved the right to get his chance out there if the guy in front on him is not getting the job done......Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 24, 2017, 10:57 PM

So coach, in our system the biggest thing is the QB has a lot of things to control and it just takes experience. They being said, and 3 QBs coming back next year, do we need to prepare ourselves to see TL redshirt? I'm just trying to get the big picture here of how our coaches think.

Oct 24, 2017, 10:59 PM

I wonder if TL feels that way if he sees Elliott's comment.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic