Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VT does one thing well...they run the ball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,206

VT does one thing well...they run the ball

Dec 1, 2020, 5:08 PM

I was going to do a lengthy breakdown on VT...and realized there was no point. Most of their units are flat garbage. They're 99th in total D, out of 126 teams playing. They're 95th in passing.

They're 8th in rushing, averaging 262.8ypg. Their big threat by a mile is Khalil Herbert. He averages 8.2 a rush! Or QB Hendon Hooker keeps it and runs some more, he averages 5.4ypc...even with his sack yardage deducted, and he's been sacked 16 times this year.

What he hasn't done is thrown the ball. He's thrown for 1,332 yards in 7 games logged this year. (Trevor Lawrence has 2,236, also in 7 games...well, actually, more like three and a half, since he's usually out by halftime.) The most Hooker has thrown for was 260 against Pitt...in a 33-point loss. They stacked the box and dared him to throw and he couldn't. (Kenny Pickett, who we just faced, threw for 404 the same game.)

So...basically, you clearly have to respect Herbert. 8.2 yards per carry is insane. Obviously, you stack the box, keep outside contain on Hooker, and dare him to beat you over the top. He hasn't done it yet, but that's why you play, I guess...

Not a tough analysis, this one.

Clemson, by the way, is 12th in total D, 17th in total offense. And obviously the Tigers have emptied the bench a ton of games instead of padding stats. But still. VT certainly isn't a helpless opponent but they are a very one-dimensional one and their D has been very poor.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With Skalski directing traffic for the first half, I'd say

Dec 1, 2020, 5:21 PM

we'll hold'em under a couple hundred yards in rushing. Woulda said 150, but there's always one play where an opposing RB squirts through and runs halfway down the field before one of our speedy DBs shoestrings'em. Thats when Venables gets that look on his face that he's gonna spontaneously combust and takeout half the sideline with him, then settles down a bit to just canceling the after game juice boxes.

Thanks Q

Dec 1, 2020, 5:30 PM

Defense had better not start throwing fist up on 3rd down stops. VT will likely go for it most of the time; because they don't stand a good chance of stopping Clemson consistently.
VT will want to possess the football as much as possible which means taking risk on 4th down.

They also do not want to get down early against Clemson.

The only way this game is close is if we start slow and have trouble stopping the run. If we can get some TFL's because we are geared to stop the run - put them behind the sticks and in obvious passing downs - should be a lay up!
On those downs and distances though - keep the QB in the pocket and make him Tom Brady, Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson or Drew Brees you. I.E. he will have to be accurate/patient consistently! As you said, "he hasn't done it yet"!

The offense needs to get at VT early! If this is their senior night - they might come out inspired. Tigers need to squelch that optimism "early and often"!
The RB is nice - but get ahead of them to where they have to pass it you take away their best weapon.

I predict this game is over quicker than the rest of the 7:30 start time games. I think Clemson as well as VT run it a bunch this game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you’re down by 30 can you really continue to

Dec 1, 2020, 5:35 PM

run the ball ?

Notre Dame ran it up and down the field on us...

Dec 1, 2020, 6:06 PM

granted we were missing two KEY pieces (Skalski and Davis) but i like the fact we have to play a good running team. WE gotta fix that before championship season. Venables will have a plan.

Re: Notre Dame ran it up and down the field on us...

Dec 1, 2020, 6:11 PM

Probably not the worst thing, I agree.

The younger guys especially could certainly use the work. Notre Dame is physical and we're going to need bodies to stop them. We ran out at the end last time.

Re: Notre Dame ran it up and down the field on us...

Dec 1, 2020, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Notre Dame ran it up and down the field on us... ]

ND had 208 yards. 140 by their RB and 67 by their QB. Williams got the 140 on the strength of 1 65 yard run. ***Note I know you can't*** but take that play away and I would not say ND ran all over the Tigers!
Book got a bunch of his yards when it looked like they clearly had him sacked let alone he gains a bunch of positive yards!

In short, I thought we did a good job on their primary rushing attack(Williams) outside of the one 65 yard run.

I am happy we don't have to - but "if we had to" I would have my money on Clemson without Skalski, Davis and Jones and Zanders stuffing ND a 2nd time. Nothing beats experience and the young guys got punched in the mouth. And will go in knowing what it will take. They also have had some rest(no freshman wall to worry about with how spaced out our games have been lately).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401234632

i just recall them having sucess up the middle on us and

Dec 2, 2020, 11:36 AM

from my experience when teams can run between the tackles on you then you are wide open for getting yards in the running and passing game at that point. What i think happened is Venables was forced to use his linebackers to stop the run up the middle and it left alot of openings in the passing game.

The days when we had Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence that was never a possibility for other teams.Up the gut never happened and it left good teams one less option and gave our defense many options.

That's Right

Dec 2, 2020, 12:42 PM

No Davis and no Skalski. The middle of the defense right there. I get what you are saying now. Then a bunch of Books QB rushing yards were on scrambles up the middle.
But, clearly not having Davis, Skalski and Jones(everybody forgets we had two LB's out) not in the game and far less experienced players in made a difference.

Assuming we have everyone healthy and assuming we beat VT I look forward to the Tigers getting back on the field with ND. As I said earlier, "even if we still didn't have all those players mentioned before" I like our chances in a rematch!

......after a little foreplay

Dec 1, 2020, 7:04 PM

I figure Dabo and company will start unhooking Justin Fuente's bra around the 3rd serious, and will have the goodies in hand by the start of the 2nd quarter.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ......after a little foreplay

Dec 1, 2020, 7:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Dec 1, 2020, 7:08 PM

I know, right?

Unfortunately he got outed over on P&R and I think he's overcompensating.

Dec 1, 2020, 7:13 PM [ in reply to ......after a little foreplay ]
giphy[1].gif(3.6 MB)

. . . . that's not right....... like showers in shag covered showers! LOL!

Re: VT does one thing well...they run the ball

Dec 1, 2020, 7:21 PM

Always look forward to your analysis. VT just doesn’t seem to have the horses. Also, the culture is a bit suspect. I think this one could get ugly.

Re: VT does one thing well...they run the ball

Dec 1, 2020, 10:38 PM

quozzel said:

I was going to do a lengthy breakdown on VT...and realized there was no point. Most of their units are flat garbage. They're 99th in total D, out of 126 teams playing. They're 95th in passing.

They're 8th in rushing, averaging 262.8ypg. Their big threat by a mile is Khalil Herbert. He averages 8.2 a rush! Or QB Hendon Hooker keeps it and runs some more, he averages 5.4ypc...even with his sack yardage deducted, and he's been sacked 16 times this year.

What he hasn't done is thrown the ball. He's thrown for 1,332 yards in 7 games logged this year. (Trevor Lawrence has 2,236, also in 7 games...well, actually, more like three and a half, since he's usually out by halftime.) The most Hooker has thrown for was 260 against Pitt...in a 33-point loss. They stacked the box and dared him to throw and he couldn't. (Kenny Pickett, who we just faced, threw for 404 the same game.)

So...basically, you clearly have to respect Herbert. 8.2 yards per carry is insane. Obviously, you stack the box, keep outside contain on Hooker, and dare him to beat you over the top. He hasn't done it yet, but that's why you play, I guess...

Not a tough analysis, this one.

Clemson, by the way, is 12th in total D, 17th in total offense. And obviously the Tigers have emptied the bench a ton of games instead of padding stats. But still. VT certainly isn't a helpless opponent but they are a very one-dimensional one and their D has been very poor.

FWIW.

Thanks BTW for the breakdown Q! Always good!

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,206
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic