Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our WR play - not a hot take
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,622

Our WR play - not a hot take

Jan 16, 2020, 8:16 AM

This isn’t intended to be a hot take. Just opening for discussion.

There was a clear regression in our WR play, starting at the Ohio State game I believe (ACC Championship game passing game seemed fine if I remember, though would have to look at stats). In the CFP game, we were able to come away with the win despite a near shut-out of our passing game. Gave kudos to OSU DB’s. But again, against LSU uncharacteristic WR play. Just a rough, rough night through the air.

I mean, something must have changed. Jeff Scott leaving and Dabo stepping in to coach up WR’s and something changed just enough to throw off our rhythm?? I have no idea. It’s the only major internal change I’m aware of Purely outstanding DB’s and defenses? What gives?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

honestly?

Jan 16, 2020, 8:22 AM

I know a lot has been said about route running.

I'm not criticizing our coaches, but our offense this year seemed to revolve around the the HR throw. We relied heavily on our fast, tall receivers beating their coverage.

Run, screen, long ball. Long ball, run, screen...

Anybody watching our film is going to key on this.

We lacked the quick slants and crossovers in the middle of the field.

The Galloway receptions was a welcomed, old friend that has been missing all year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: honestly?

Jan 16, 2020, 8:40 AM

Yes. I definitely see the lack of quick throws across the middle as lacking. Ol Renfrow was more important than we even thought possible I think.

BTW, what is “HR”?

Jan 16, 2020, 8:41 AM

Homerun

Jan 16, 2020, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: honestly? ]

Renfrow was special, but we still got guys that can play the possession receiver part.

HR = Home run

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to honestly? ]

I don’t think I saw a back shoulder throw on any of the go routes up the sideline. If the DB knows he’s just running with you until the ball arrives it’s a little easier than having to slam on the brakes with the ball coming behind you. Don’t think we’ve been real good with that since Deshaun. Not a criticism just another arrow in the quiver we can use next year.

a number of factors.......

Jan 16, 2020, 8:25 AM

-I don't think our WRs have "lived up to the hype" this year compared to the expectations left after the Bama game (except Tee)
-Amari came on late b/c of injury, Ross has been inconsistent ALL YEAR.....not a bad year, but didn't hit expectations
-OSU & LSU have 1st round & future 1st round DBs
-w/o Galloway (or a pass catching TE all year) and only used him once vs LSU and he was wide open
-didn't run Etienne enough which would've taken pressure off hitting on the deep balls.
-didn't utilize the middle of the field passing enough.

all that being said.......it was LSU's night and year. They were the better team and dictated what was called and what we did or didn't do on offense.

Re: a number of factors.......

Jan 16, 2020, 9:39 AM

Galloway caught 2 balls in the first quarter alone for 60 yards, both for 1st downs, both over the middle and didn't see another pass thrown his way all game. He was our secret weapon in this game, a possible safety valve for a struggling Trevor and we just flat out forgot about him.

To me there's 2 keys that cost us a loss and 1 key missed play that could have won us the game. The 2 keys that cost us:

1. There was only one drive that we ran Etienne up the middle and that was the first drive in the 2nd half that resulted in a touchdown and he ran very successfully. We didn't run him middle of their line consistently before or after this drive.

2. We used Galloway perfectly in the 1st quarter and then forgot he existed. Trevor needed an outlet and he was that outlet.

The key missed play that could have won us the game:

1. Nolan Turner not catching that pick 6 after we cut the score to 3 and forced a 3 and out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our WR play - not a hot take

Jan 16, 2020, 8:40 AM

We need a refresh in our passing schemes no doubt. Too much talent not to live up to the expectations. TE position under utilize. Hopefully Streeter can help or u go to another source. Elite secondary exposed our high scoring offense.

we made them look good too. A lot of errant throws

Jan 16, 2020, 8:43 AM

and a couple of drops. We were out of sync for sure. I give LSU credit but i felt like OSU did more to disrupt us. We really should have leaned into the running game in the 3rd quarter but I've beaten that horse to death.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 9:21 AM

I don't think Tee or Justin were 100% for the Natty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 9:29 AM

What happened to Amari? Wasn't that supposed to be his role? Used very little. Yes, the pass to Braden was a sight for sore eyes. Wish they had used him more in the game to loosen up that LSU defense. Too much Trevor to Tee, Trevor to Justyn. LSU figured it out right quick.

Jan 16, 2020, 9:31 AM

I don't think either Tee or Ross were 100%

Okudah and Stingley are both NFL 1st rd top 10 (maybe top 5) picks. And Fulton, Arnette, Wade, Delpit are also going to the league. Those first two guys were lights out and won the individual battles in both games (overall). Trevor being a bit off the mark didn't help either

2 things

Jan 16, 2020, 10:06 AM

1. Our WRs had their way against smaller, less athletic DBs during the regular season. When they were matched up with studs at DB they could not elevate their game and get separation as needed and they did not win 50/50 balls.

2. I think we are seeing just how important Renfro was to our overall scheme. He put a lot of pressure on defenses and opened up other stuff for other receivers.

I love Amari and I think he is very talented and underutilized, but perhaps we need to adjust our route schemes to take advantage of HIS talents.

We do SOOO many things to get to and be prepared to play at the highest level on the biggest stage, but I wonder if our offensive schemes are being developed in the same manner.

Jan 16, 2020, 10:11 AM

What changed was the level of competition rose precipitously in the playoffs and both Tee and Ross were banged up .

Nothing regressed , football is a tough game and you wouldn't expect statistical excellence 15 times out of 15 times out .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I am confident that out coaches are spending

Jan 16, 2020, 10:12 AM

the next six weeks examining the very issues we are talking about here. I think Dabo and the other coaches will look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they put their players in the best position to win.

And then they will make the necessary adjustments.

Jan 16, 2020, 10:40 AM

StoobTiger said:

This isn’t intended to be a hot take. Just opening for discussion.

There was a clear regression in our WR play, starting at the Ohio State game I believe (ACC Championship game passing game seemed fine if I remember, though would have to look at stats). In the CFP game, we were able to come away with the win despite a near shut-out of our passing game. Gave kudos to OSU DB’s. But again, against LSU uncharacteristic WR play. Just a rough, rough night through the air.

I mean, something must have changed. Jeff Scott leaving and Dabo stepping in to coach up WR’s and something changed just enough to throw off our rhythm?? I have no idea. It’s the only major internal change I’m aware of Purely outstanding DB’s and defenses? What gives?

OSU has NFL talent covering your WRs with solid pass rush. (Rest of ACC, not so much)

LSU had 3 NFL guys covering your WR's with a decent pass rush.

People said LSU's D wasn't all that great....but they healed up and stepped up... held Clemson to 1-11 on 3rd downs... destroyed OU and UGA in prior weeks...but everyone was talking about Burrow

Tlaw didn't have open guys to throw to...but it's his fault "he had a bad game"? Give credit to LSU....they made every QB late in the season look bad.

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,622
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic