Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Your first Clemson game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Your first Clemson game?

Aug 30, 2018, 3:57 PM

For me it was 46 years ago at age 6. It was 1972 Homecoming. I fell in love! So here we go again with my old friend-Clemson Tigers Football! HOW BOUT YOU? GO TIGERS!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1995 vs. Georgia***

Aug 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine was probably Maryland 84-85'ish

Aug 30, 2018, 3:59 PM

First memorable game was the 88' FSU game :-/ I was 12 at the time

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Mine was probably Maryland 84-85'ish

Aug 30, 2018, 4:03 PM

1971, we lost to Kentucky that day but Clemson became my team that day. Was not fortunate enough to go to Clemson, I chose the Air Force, no regrets. I envy all that did and do go there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mine was probably Maryland 84-85'ish

Aug 30, 2018, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Mine was probably Maryland 84-85'ish ]

Mine was also vs Maryland, but when I was 3. My grandmother had me on her lap in the old West endzone.
I was also 12 at that FSU 88' game. I think that was the first time I shed a tear over a football game. I was furious.

Here's the program from the '79 Maryland game:

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1138&context=fball_prgms

Clemson vs FSU in 1976 at Tallahassee. Tigers won !***

Aug 30, 2018, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was around 6 as well. I have vvague memories of rolling

Aug 30, 2018, 4:06 PM

down the "other" hill beside the west stands and south stands.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Your first Clemson game?

Aug 30, 2018, 4:11 PM

October 4, 1986
Clemson 24 - Citadel 0

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Aug 30, 2018, 4:15 PM

I've only been to two CU games. The first was Clemson Versus Notre Dame with Joe Montana as the ND quarterback (back when ND was really good). CU was ahead going into the fourth quarter and we were all really excited. Then Joe Montana decided that it was time to end the suspense. He went down the field twice like the CU defense wasn't even there. All of us stood the whole game and hollered our guts out. We were all stunned at how seemingly effortless it was for him to march down the field twice. JM knows how to quarterback. I got home feeling like I sat in cold vomit for three hours.

The second was the infamous Woody Hayes '79 Gator Bowl. My wife and I sat right at the 50-yd line, but relatively high up in the stands. We got to see the infamous Woody Hayes punch of Syd Bauman. Unfortunately, we didn't realize what had really happened until we saw the close ups on the news the next day. I felt much better after the OSU game than the ND game.

Aug 30, 2018, 4:19 PM

We had a two-game series with ND. We won at ND on their senior day. They beat us at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Your first Clemson game? ]

That Notre Dame game wasn't my first but I've always said it was my most memorable. We stood on the hill, never sat down once, screamed like crazy, it was a fantastic game and I was so proud of Clemson and close we came to winning. Weren't they national champs next year?

Aug 30, 2018, 4:18 PM

Florida State home game in 2001. I was on a visit touring colleges with a friend. I wasn't really into college football at the time but that trip cemented me deciding to attend Clemson and become a Tiger and I've been a rabid fan ever since.

Aug 30, 2018, 4:19 PM

My first game was Clemson vs. Georgia in 1987. Nothing better than that at 10 years old. :)

1971 Maryland v. Clemson

Aug 30, 2018, 4:21 PM

My grandfather, Clemson class of 1924, took me.

I was eight years old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 30, 2018, 4:24 PM

My first Clemson game was in 1946 On Big Thursday in Columbia. The Gamecocks won that game 26-14.

I began my freshman year in 1948 when Clemson was still a military school. That led to two careers - one in the Army; after that, a career with DHEC as an environmental engineer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU, 1997

Aug 30, 2018, 4:43 PM

It was the 3rd game of the season, 2nd home game. I missed the first game (App State) b/c of a meet.

I remember walking down the hill to the stadium and seeing 1000's and 1000's of people both inside the stadium and making their way in. What a spectacle.

When we finally got in and got down the bottom of the lower level the place was almost packed. I wish someone could have recorded my expression for those 10-20 minutes. It was my first college (or NFL) game and I couldn't get over how BIG the whole event was. I was really awestruck, and immediately fell in love.

What anger I felt when we lost to FSU that evening. Then, sadly I only remember being upset as well when we lost to GT, UVA (my home state with a high school friend that was a LB there) UNC and the bowl game to Auburn later on that year.

Didn't know I could be so emotionally attached to something so quick.

There is definitely something in those hills.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'68 or '69 - to young to remember anything cept

Aug 30, 2018, 4:55 PM

dad introducing me to Frank Howard at the buffet at the old Holiday Inn - thought I had met the worlds leader - then I went and toss the little footballs with all the other kids - fun times.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 4:58 PM

Homecoming vs Duke 1988. I was 4. will never forget the tiger/bluedevil floats. Been hookedd ever since. Also did freedom weekend aloft and had pictures with the hooters girls and had my first sips of beer. '88 was a good year

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 5:06 PM

First one I can really remember was the 2004 game when Clemson fought usc. I will never forget seeing that helmet being tossed into the stands.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 5:08 PM

Western Carolina 1983. I was a 17 year old freshman. Had never been to the campus before the day I drive up to Johnstone E5. Had seen a few games in TV but was a fan ever since the 1978 Carolina game. Back then every student went to the game and all of them started at 1:00 and done just after 3 because we were on probation and no TV. I made sure both of my sons went to plenty of games when they were young.

Aug 30, 2018, 5:20 PM

October 14th, 1961. Clemson vs. Wake Forest. I was a Sophomore in High School! Then I didn't get back until 1969 after I married into a Clemson Season Ticket Holder's Family!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 5:21 PM

The first Bowden Bowl

Aug 30, 2018, 7:31 PM

2004 vs GT. On the hill as a freshman. To this day, it's still the quietest I've heard death valley after the botched punt and the game winning TD throw from Reggie Ball to Calvin Johnson.

null

My 1st was vs. Auburn, the 1st home game of my freshman year

Aug 30, 2018, 6:16 PM

Sadly, my four years(68-71), was the only time that our Tigers have ever had four losing seasons in a row. They even made it six in a row in 1973. My, how times have changed!

In '68, we actually finished 2nd in the ACC with a 4-1-1 reccrd, but went 0-4 out of conference. But, those four games were against Auburn, Alabama, UGA and GaTech, with only Auburn at home. Can you imagine such an out of conference schedule today??

1974 vs UNC at Clemson, 54-32 Tigers!!!!

Aug 30, 2018, 6:19 PM

I was 13 years old and was accompanied by Hartins and my parents!!!

1974 vs UNC at Clemson, 54-32 Tigers!!!!

Aug 30, 2018, 6:21 PM

I was 13 years old and was accompanied by Hartins and my parents!!!

Aug 30, 2018, 6:21 PM

Firman 1998

1966 vs Virginia

Aug 30, 2018, 6:23 PM

40-35 win.

Family had just moved to town. As a second grader at the time, I mostly remember running around, sliding down the hill, and "storming" the field at the end of the game to beg for chin straps or sweatbands from the Clemson players.

It was many years (a few decades) later that I learned that this was the first game for the rock. I had no clue at the time.

Aug 30, 2018, 6:37 PM

1969, I was in the first grade and it was the first year my Dad (Clemson Class of 1961) and Mom bought 2 season tickets. They bought me a General Admission ticket and I sat on the hill all by myself. I fell in love with Clemson football even before the game. My how times have changed.

Sometime in the late 70’s

Aug 30, 2018, 6:42 PM

Can’t remember specifically

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'81 georgia

Aug 30, 2018, 7:00 PM

on the hill as a freshman

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm guessing around 1960-61.

Aug 30, 2018, 7:01 PM

The first game I have any clear memory of was Clemson vs. Alabama in 1967, and then vs. NCST later that year. My parents took me from the time I could walk, however.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

88, 89 or 90

Aug 30, 2018, 7:36 PM

clemson-carolina game that we won.

i was 7 or so, so don't really know which year. just remember riding in the car with my dad and his cousin's

GA Tech game where the 1 millionth fan entered Death Valley is the first I actually remember.

Aug 30, 2018, 7:37 PM

Furman, 1996

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 7:41 PM

1957 Big Thursday. Tigers won 13-0.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Villanova 1977***

Aug 30, 2018, 7:57 PM

I was 7. Started going to all home games growing up with my dad, brother and uncle. Threw a lot of nerf ball touchdowns in the parking lots.

Message was edited by: prudentialtiger

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic