Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question for David Hood and TigerNet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 51

Serious question for David Hood and TigerNet

Jan 17, 2021, 1:25 PM

Dabo's "little ole Clemson" football program speaks for itself. Quality coaches, stellar recruiting, high character players, high graduation rates, conference championships, consistent appearances in the college playoffs, and two national championships.

Now the "but". Can Clemson's country club coaching atmosphere, and the finesse ACC schedule, continue to compete against coaches who focus on creating a super aggressive edge in their players in the biggest games? Coach Swinney have smartly relied on player leaders through the years, most notably Deshaun Watson and Christian Wilkins, to create that edge.

Saban is 69 years old, but he continues to personally create an energy and consistent edge with new coaches & players that only BV visibly embodies at Clemson.

Clemson asst. coaches love Clemson, Coach Swinney, well-earned & growing salaries, and a very comfortable Clemson country club routine. Clemson can win the ACC easily in 2021 by starting our older and slower players. Thanks for your thoughts on Clemson Football maintaining it's edge, and coaches & players who can be the catalysts to lead and bring that playoff & championship edge in 2021 ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Country Club? Really?

Jan 17, 2021, 1:47 PM

Dabo makes changes when needed. Lawrence over Bryant for instance. Venables over Steele for another. Point is, we don’t need to critique and analyze Dabo Swinney. He has brought Clemson to the pinnacle of college football and deserves our support. He understands better than any of us what Clemson needs. Let him do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Dabo would be the first to tell you he is not infallible***

Jan 17, 2021, 1:52 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo would be the first to tell you he is not infallible***

Jan 17, 2021, 2:22 PM

I agree with you there Shack. Dabo's a good man who is always seeking to better himself and the team. It's hard to ask a culture question about Clemson Football without tearing the fabric from the very souls of some of our TNet posters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Country Club? Really?

Jan 17, 2021, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Country Club? Really? ]

+1 for rightfully speaking up for our great coach. But compared to Bama, "yes" I'll stand by a country club lifestyle at The Reserve with lots of family which is healthy and probably does not happen in Saban Land. Ryan Day and many Ohio St coaches did not go home during their long 6 game season this year.

You used the word "probably" when describing Saban's

Jan 17, 2021, 2:00 PM

culture. That is what I am thinking - "Probably" - we don't know much about Saban outside of his success. We do see Venables as you mentioned but when I watch Bama the only coach I even remember is Saban.,and his assistants change so fast, I wonder if there is a "culture" or is it just that he brings in so many top recruits that success will be a given.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Clemson could recruit our kind of players and still have

Jan 17, 2021, 2:06 PM

the #1 recruiting class every other year or better, like Bama does, Clemson would never lose a game.

Never.

Just look at what we’ve done averaging #10-12 (four year average). Bama is all about recruiting and Saban said so himself when he was hired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: If Clemson could recruit our kind of players and still have

Jan 17, 2021, 4:18 PM

That's why Saban is such a great coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You used the word "probably" when describing Saban's

Jan 17, 2021, 2:16 PM [ in reply to You used the word "probably" when describing Saban's ]

Yes. The assts. seem to leave in a hurry at Bama, and Saban never appeared to be one for small talk with Kiffin.

Interestingly, Saban seems to rely on cast-offs and resuscitating failed coaches like Kiffin, Sark and now Bill O'Brien who I wonder if even Saban can mitigate.

Coaching turnover has hurt them occasionally...

Jan 17, 2021, 4:32 PM

but bama is at the top most seasons and wins a lot of championships because they get more of the best players than anyone else. If we had their OL and their wide receivers this year Clemson would have been able to name the score on Ohio State and everyone else, and Trevor Lawrence would be dubbed the greatest college QB of all time. Unfortunately compared to bama our OL is crap, and other than Travis Etienne so are our RBs. We aren’t WRU any more - they are. We have fallen behind them again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Country Club? Really? ]

not making people miserable, being a jerk to the media, and seeing those close to you experience a living h3ll each day isnt country clubby. its called being a decent human being. certain folks need try it sometime

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Country Club? Really? ]

Can't mention names, but personally know of a well respected coach for Ohio State that won't flat out say it, but he doesn't always enjoy the cultures his of his employers (he has coached for Meyer and Day).

He is no slouch or idiot, neither are Venables, Elliot, etc... assistant coaches at some of these other schools know a good opportunity when they have it, to be a top tier coordinator at a traditional powerhouse WITHOUT the responsibilities of the head coach while making MILLIONS isn't just something you can't not consider in the coaching decision making process.

There are all kinds of opportunities to be head coaches all the time for these coaches at Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. but many of these coordinators would be putting themselves on the frontline, spending even less time with their family, and taking a huge pay-cut from their cushy coordinator positions... can't say I blame them for wanting to stay content in their surroundings.

Serious answer....

Jan 17, 2021, 1:48 PM

Yes.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I WAS going to reply to your post....

Jan 17, 2021, 1:52 PM

... but since I'm not David Hood or Tigernet.....

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Welcome home, York Tiger!

Jan 17, 2021, 1:58 PM

This is as good a BS as you used to post. Way to go!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question for David Hood and TigerNet

Jan 17, 2021, 1:59 PM

A Dabo only comes around in a generation we are the lucky ones to have him So what if the character graduation rates out of site family atmosphere and being one of the top programs in all of college football cost a game here and there I would rather be us than them

Jan 17, 2021, 2:52 PM

If you can’t win at Alabama then you can’t win anywhere, except LSU. IMO Saban gets way to much credit for Bama’s success. It’s the easiest school to recruit for.

What Dabo has accomplished at Clemson is by far more impressive than what Saban has done at Bama.

WUEagle

Jan 17, 2021, 3:03 PM

Do you expect Bama to be equally successful upon Saban's retirement, and how does Bama explain the vacuum between Stallings and Saban?

Jan 5, 2017, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question for David Hood and TigerNet ]

Dabo has created a culture unique to Clemson...it works ...

He’s also not “soft” as you seem to be implying...
Dabo has plenty of “edge” - don’t assume otherwise just because he doesn’t throw profanity laden fits on the side line or in the locker room... there’s nothing “country club” about Dabo ...you can be tough as nails without acting like a jack hole...

You can’t out “Saban” ...Saban...

Kirby and Pruitt don’t have a plan other than to copy Saban...

That doesn’t work ...

Jan 17, 2021, 3:31 PM

Very well said. Dabo is as competitive as they come. To compare anything him and his staff to anything “country club” is just not accurate. Making it a family like and pleasant experience does not equate to country club or in anyway mean that our coaches, top to bottom, don’t have an edge.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2021, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question for David Hood and TigerNet ]

Really. Tell me without having to look it up who was coach at Bama before Saban.

Jan 17, 2021, 3:04 PM

As successful as Saban is, he has years that are not up to his standard as well. Take the 2019 season, for instance--no CFP for Bama.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 17, 2021, 3:09 PM

Ref: see LSU that Bama dominated in 2nd half.

What is a country club coaching atmosphere?

Jan 17, 2021, 3:05 PM

I love my country club, so I probably missed your point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 17, 2021, 4:16 PM

All of us that watched the Ohio State realize that having a top 10 or 15 recruiting class is not enough by itself. The players have to fill needs and we found out that quality depth is most important. I have faith Dabo will get it done.

You misspelled "Sirius"***

Jan 18, 2021, 10:36 AM

Where were these questions

Jan 18, 2021, 11:40 AM

when we were handing Saban and Meyer the worst losses of their careers?

Admit it: this is a VERY fair weather post. It sounds to me like you're asking "what does Clemson need to do to win the Natty each and every single year?" The problem with that is you're essentially asking Dabo to change the approach that's been so successful for us. It is IMPOSSIBLE to stay on top forever. What Saban has done is unprecedented and he's gonna put Bear Bryant in the rear-view when it's all said and done. But even he doesn't win EVERY year. Didn't even make the playoffs last year. Sometimes you have some position groups that just aren't as good as last year, or four new O-line starters, or no proven difference-maker on the defensive line. And sometimes you go up against generationally good teams like 2019 LSU with a zillion NFL-caliber starters and coaches (lol at the attrition). It happens.

Are you willing to bet on the kind of change that would prevent Clemson from being Clemson? If you change the foundation of what Dabo has built, you COULD gain a tiny increase in success but you could also cause the whole house to fall down. I for one haven't seen nearly enough to warrant taking that risk. When you make the playoffs every year and are top 3 in average recruit ranking, what's the point of changing things?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic