Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
XT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

XT

Dec 2, 2019, 8:40 AM

I really hope I don’t get flamed for this. But... has anyone else been incredibly surprised by the lack of production by XT? There have been times when he’s shown his incredible skill set, but I don’t think anyone can claim you’ve noticed an impactful performance yet. I was about as sure as you can be that he’d be a big time player for us, and I thought that this would be his big coming out year but it’s been pretty quiet. Does anyone have any insight into this?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: XT

Dec 2, 2019, 8:43 AM

He's still young, gotta remember he is only a true sophomore. A lot of times those guys on the D line can do their job and eat up blocks and we don't notice because they didn't make a tackle

Dec 2, 2019, 8:46 AM

That’s definitely true. I remember reading an article earlier this year that mentioned though he wasn’t producing sacks, he had (at that time at least) the highest pressure rate in the country or one of the highest. I know he was out on concussion protocol lately, so maybe I’ve just kind of forgotten about him these past few weeks. Hope he blows the doors off at some point and reaches his high ceiling.

UR right. Defensive players typically bloom in Junior Yr. ***

Dec 2, 2019, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: XT ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Dec 2, 2019, 8:59 AM

This defense has been flipped from previous years. Instead of the D line dominating the stats, the linebackers and DBs have been getting the numbers. XT3 is doing his job, channeling play inward and pressuring it wide and our back 7 are cleaning up. This could very well reverse next year and he'll be a monster.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:00 AM

It's probably a combination of things. First I think that like Trevor Lawrence, we had unrealistic expectations. Second, teams know he is there and are likely addressing him in their gameplans this year. Third, he has been out lately due to the aforementioned concussion. Fourth, his duties have likely changed some due to playing so much 3-4 this year. Last, teams just have less passes against us this year for whatever reason. Someone mentioned that our sacks per game was down considerably, but when I checked our sacks per pass attempt was actually up about 10%.

I think that he will be alright, and look forward to what he will do if we play LSU.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:24 AM

All of this is correct.

Also as someone mentioned above people know he is there and are planning for him. I have noticed him getting extra attention (RBs & TEs) on passing downs because we don't really have another pass rushing DE between XT, Rudolph, and Foster. Henry and Mascoll are pass rush guys but nobody is using extra blockers for them.

Teams have also gotten very used to having to get the ball out quickly against Clemson. That means it's harder for d-linemen to get to the QB on passing plays. This is probably part of the reason we have seen so much more LB and DB blitzes this season from the 3-4 and 3-3 looks on defense. Those players can get to the QB much faster as they are often unblocked by a confused RB or o-line.

Also missing multiple games in the middle of the season will hurt his impact.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:18 AM

I’ve not noticed many willing to run wide past his side. With the defense as good as it is everybody deserves a little credit.

maybe he's become a team player? After all, I think the

Dec 2, 2019, 9:34 AM

defensive unit is pretty dang good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 9:54 AM

For me, I just think that CBV has XT setting the edge more than rushing to the QB. I think he's done a great job of that too. If the plays can only run inside, then it allows our DLine to contain them. I think it is more CBV than XT. CBV had to drastically re-invent the D this year, and whatever he changed is working.

We have been in a 3 man front almost the entire time.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:58 AM

If you know defensive schemes, the 3 man front is not designed for the defensive lineman to make plays unless they just do something ridiculous... which XT has at some points. The 3 man front is designed to take up blockers and let the linebackers clean up... such as Isiah Simmons. Simmons looks better and XT looks like he isnt doing as good because of the scheme. It is designed for Simmons to make plays. Fortunately, Simmons makes them... a lot.

You shouldnt be flamed. XT made THE BIGGEST play of 2019

Dec 2, 2019, 10:11 AM

Xavier Thomas single handedly blew this play up - he gets off the line to check the RB hand-off, then outruns the QB to the edge to make the tackle.

Watch Xavier

Its also hit me during both the Wake and SC games that we don't hear XT's name called as much as probably alot of people expected (he missed Louisville, BC, and Wofford with injury), but he affects the opposing offense with just his presence - and sets the edge very well which is probably important this year with alot of our defensive strategy and pressure involving the Back 7

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: You shouldnt be flamed. XT made THE BIGGEST play of 2019

Dec 2, 2019, 12:31 PM

Somehow I’d completely forgotten his contribution on that play. Without a doubt that’s a big impact. Possibly no chance at the playoff if he doesn’t help stop that touchdown!

Re: You shouldnt be flamed. XT made THE BIGGEST play of 2019

Dec 2, 2019, 12:33 PM

Sorry I meant 2 or conversion

Dec 2, 2019, 11:20 AM

He is learning that being a good defensive end is more than just rushing the quarterback. He has to learn to set a strong edge against the run. A few time I watched him this year and he rushed into the backfield even on run plays...

Early in the season he was over pursuing the qb

Dec 2, 2019, 11:37 AM

and missing out on some sacks. He also freelances and tries to make plays instead of playing his assignment and being where he is supposed to be and trusting that his teammates will be where they are supposed to be. He’s improved in that area and is now playing his assignments better.

I think that he missed 4 games with that concussion so it’s understandable that he doesn’t have eye popping stats. I think he’ll continue to improve and be a first round draft pick next year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 11:38 AM

We may have gotten a little spoiled last year - with the greatest D-Line in college football history. Last year they could not double team anyone without someone getting set loose. This year they can double XT.

Dec 2, 2019, 12:52 PM

There is always a player or two that seems to take that next step during the championship phase. The few weeks between the ACC championship game and the first playoff game has normally when the light comes on and kind of set themselves up to become impact players for the next season. This year I think that XT and KJ will both have a huge impact in the playoffs. Hopefully a couple others will use that time to bloom into difference makers for the Tigers in the playoffs.

DT play being down hurts him

Dec 2, 2019, 12:58 PM

Don't get me wrong: love our tackles. Tyler Davis is fun to watch and will be a three-four year starter. But let's not kid ourselves: it's a fact that our DT play is not as good as last year, when we had maybe the best DT pair in CFB history. Wilkins and Lawrence made Cle and Bryant's jobs reeeeeeeal easy.

Next year? Davis and Bresee? Spot the ball. XT will get his.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 12:59 PM

He is starting out like Bowers did , he will be alright

Dec 2, 2019, 12:59 PM

I appreciate the responses and insight. Some good points have been brought up about the change to heavy use of a 3 man front this year and how we have a lot of new faces on the line so he’s an obvious choice to double team.

However, I have received some knocks to my pulse as I feared. Wish I could just legitimately ask something around here without getting banged up for it. Wasn’t a slight toward XT, I’m very happy we have him.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic