Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You might think I’m crazy but please hear me out. The CFP should expand to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,372

You might think I’m crazy but please hear me out. The CFP should expand to

Jan 8, 2021, 11:41 AM

130 teams. That’s right, all 130 FBS teams should make the playoff. Think of how great that would be. No more whining about why a certain team didn’t make it that should and no more subjectivity in picking playoff teams. Don’t think it will work? Well hold on to your hats and watch this:

Regular Season: Each team plays 6 regular season games, 3 home and 3 away. Power 5 teams can only schedule other Power 5 teams.

Rankings: After the regular season, the CFP committee will seed the teams 1-130 with record being the key factor.

Play-In Round: Team seeded 130 plays team 127 and team seeded 129 plays team 128. The winners of these two games advance to the first full round.

First Round 128 Teams: Now we’ve basically made it to the same format as the NCAA tournament but with an extra round. One game elimination all the way down to the end.

So what do you think of that? The winner of the tournament would end up playing 13-14 games total for the whole season and everyone would have a chance at the title. Teams that are eliminated in the earlier rounds could schedule games with each other in the following weeks just to play some more.

I think this is what college football needs going forward. I will submit this to the NCAA and the CFP Committee.

Message was edited by: CTiger18®

Message was edited by: CTiger18®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You might think I’m crazy but please hear me out. The CFP should expand to

Jan 8, 2021, 11:54 AM

After the first round of games you would have 65 winners. Who would get the bye? Already a controversy.

Jan 8, 2021, 11:57 AM

I don’t think so. The first round has 128 teams. Should have 64 winners.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:13 PM

I don’t think the CFP will change very much. I can possibly see them going to eight teams and that would certainly be enough. Rarely is there more than eight who might be considered the best.

What I would like to see is the best eight teams play in the Gator,Orange,Cotton and Rose Bowls and those four winners play in a Final Four Championship game. The two winners play the next week for all the marbles.
This would help keep the major bowls involved in the system.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:05 PM

Your mind is hard at work on a rainy, nasty Friday. There
are so many if's and what if's in this scenario, we would
have to ask the SCOTUS to figure it out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 1:02 PM

SCOTUS would most definitely punt.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:06 PM

Re: I don't think you are crazy; off your rocker, insane maybe, need to be committed to Bull Street in Columbia, but I listened.
Top 8 teams according to a new computer system designed to take everything into account.
Each school in the Power Five plays 10 conference games, on a yearly rotating schedule.
Each school plays a school from the other 4 Power Five, but if it's an instate rival, like a Clemson USC or UGA Ga. Tech that counts.
Each School plays a lower division school, like a Furman or S.C. State,
Total 12 games.
Eliminate the Conference Championship game.
Top 8 are seeded 1-8 with the higher seed being the home team for round #1.
The remaining 4 teams then play in the New Year Day (traditional) Bowls on a rotating basis with a neutral sight being chosen for the Championship(example LSU does not get the Sugar in either a semi or final game).
Sure there are kinks,but 130 games is way out in left field.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:21 PM

That is the way I was looking also. It wouldn’t be 130 games, it would be that many teams playing to begin! That would 65 games. I haven’t figured out where the 128 came from.

I like the idea of keeping the major bowls involved . You can see this season that some of the bowls are struggling although these were very difficult times for college football. The game this weekend isn’t a sure thing right now!

The basketball tournament that has been announced for Indiana will be tough to pull off in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:25 PM

The 128 comes from the play-in round. Team 130 vs Team 127 and Team 129 vs Team 128. That way the first full round has just 128 teams.

Also, just so you know, my scenario is completely ridiculous and I know it has a less than 0% chance of every happening. I only brought this up as a joke, not to be taken seriously.

Jan 8, 2021, 1:34 PM

I knew you were just kidding but I do think the committee will make some kind of adjustment in the near future.
Nothing like you or I suggested but I think they will be forced to make change. I hope that they leave it as it is because I feel like our team will be top four almost every year.

College sports is better without a virus. We ALL agree with that.

Well, that does get 4 sec teams in. espin will b e happy.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: You might think I’m crazy but please hear me out. The CFP should expand to ]

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds very cootish to me...........

Jan 8, 2021, 12:33 PM

Now that's thinking outside the box

Jan 8, 2021, 12:37 PM

How about 8 game regular season, 7 conference, 1 outside conference, all P5
After 8 games, top 64 go to "NCAA tournament"

Bottom 66 go to "NIT", using your elimination games to trim to 64

Winner of NCAA plays a total of 14 games; no one in either tournament plays more than 15

NCAA winner gets a trophy, NIT winner gets a trophy

Just not sure how some out of conference rivalries would be preserved, how conference titles would be awarded, and what would happen to the lower divisions financially

Oh well uh, you might think I'm crazy
To hang around with you
Or maybe you think I'm lucky
To have somethin' to do
But I think that you're wild
Inside me is some child
You might think I'm foolish
Or maybe it's untrue
(You might think I'm crazy)
You might think I'm crazy
(All I want is you)
All I want is you
You might think it's hysterical
But I know when you're weak
You think you're in the movies
And everything's so deep
But I think that you're wild
When you flash that fragile smile
You might think it's foolish
What you put me through
(All I want is you)
All I want is you
And it was hard so hard to take
(So hard to take)
(There's no escape)
There's no escape
Without a scrape
(Without a scrape)
But you kept it going till the sun fell down
You kept it going
Oh well uh, you might think I'm delirious
The way I run you down
But somewhere sometimes
When you're curious
I'll be back around
Oh, I think that you're wild
And so uniquely styled
You might think it's foolish
This chancy rendezvous
(All I want is you)
All I want is you, aoo
All I want is you
(All I want is you)
All I want is you

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC would never go for this

Jan 8, 2021, 12:51 PM

they're so insulated to win every award, every ranking, every benefit of the doubt. Why woudl they open themselves up to be lumped in with everyone else? They're making bank on keeping it all in house. The heisman for goodness sakes was 3 SEC Players and Trevor. And many were talking a few weeks back about Najee Harris instead of Trevor. So if stayed that way itwoudl have been 4 SEC players. All the pundits on TV preach SEC or are from there and it won't change until it changes.

the ghostly tag image

Jan 8, 2021, 1:02 PM

says it best, for you.

Jan 8, 2021, 1:50 PM

I like to imagine a 16 team invitational super conference that pays conferences to lease teams for a year. I mean since we are talking about our fantasies.

North - tOSU, PSU, Wisco, ND
East - Clem, UNC, UGA, Miami
South - Bama, A&M, UF, Texas
West - OU, Oregon, USC, BYU

Play your pod and 2 teams from every other pod. Have a 6 team playoff.

I feel like I used to do this on NCAA game when they made conference realignment a feature in the game.

Jan 8, 2021, 1:56 PM

I agree with letting all 130 teams in the playoff.

Let's do a round robin style early round where each teams plays maybe 12 other teams. There will be some overlap that will help sort out positioning after those 12 rounds of play.

Then at that point we can have what we will call an elimination round on "week 13" where the best teams from each "region" are matched up.

For the final couple of rounds we can take the best 4-8 teams and let them play a single elimination bracket style playoff to determine the champion.

Seems perfect to me!

So if a team loses in the first round, they would have

Jan 8, 2021, 2:16 PM

played 7 games total, while the eventual national champion would have played 13 total [if my maff is correct]? That's a big disparity.

You'd have to have multiple weeks of "consolation" games so the non-advancing teams could get in a few more games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Would give FSU plenty of time to opt-out!

Jan 8, 2021, 2:57 PM

Jan 8, 2021, 2:50 PM

Bad idea. With your scenario a team gets 7 games and then the rest depends on whether you win or not.

That means you only have 7 games every season to scout players for the draft. It would be a disadvantage for the smaller school players. Would guys like Big Ben, AB, Hunt, Hill even get a look if they played 7 games each season? Murray had one starting season at Oklahoma. I think his draft stock went up played 13 games opposed to possibly 7? What about Justin Fields? Earlier this season he played himself out of the second QB pick, and after the Sugar Bowl he played himself back in.

I do believe in an expanded playoffs. I think it should be 16 teams. I'd be happy with 8. But with 16- yes there would be controversey over the 16-17th team chosen- but realistically has the 16th ranked team after 6 games ever won the title?

Justin Fields sucks. Hth***

Jan 8, 2021, 3:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,372
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic