Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perhaps no one will agree
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Perhaps no one will agree

Mar 5, 2020, 1:57 PM

But it is my opinion that none of the guys on the basketball team are willing to stand up and be the leader of this team. Or perhaps no one has been groomed to be the ‘on the court’ leader. Every good team has at least one ‘go to’ guy that the team can rely on to make the big play when it is needed. The really good teams have more than one guy. If you watch closely, you will see this in every close game. When the year began, I thought this guy would be Sims. I think that he is the one guy the coaches were counting on also. For what ever reason, it hasn’t happened. Opposing teams also realize that if they can neutralize Sims, Clemson is beatable, There have been games when someone else takes over, but this hasn’t happened in a lot of big games. Like last night. Early fouls were the culprit also. In the FSU game, Dawes took over. Newman has had games where he excelled. Mack also had some big games. The consistency is certainly lacking with this team. Perhaps it is because they have a lot of young guys who just haven’t been there long enough to take over a game. Whatever the reason, I want to see this team continue to play hard and develop. It’s easy to quit on them if you are a fan but they aren’t going to quit on Clemson. And that good enough for me. You just dont bash young guys trying to do their best and if it’s the coaches fault, let those with authority handle the situation. I’ll never quit on Clemson. I spent far to many long hours busting my butt to finally get my degree and there is NO way I will ever bash my university and my Tigers. No Way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A leader makes leaders.***

Mar 5, 2020, 1:58 PM

Re: A leader makes leaders.***

Mar 5, 2020, 2:03 PM

World history would disagree! But we don’t need to go there on tnet.

Re: Perhaps no one will agree

Mar 5, 2020, 2:05 PM

Maybe we have a leader out there as far as the players go. How would we really know?

Mar 5, 2020, 2:10 PM

Watching the game tells me a lot! Have you consistently observed a player who takes over a game and makes the big plays? I haven’t.

Mar 5, 2020, 2:43 PM

Very good post and observations. Simms has shown flashes if being the leader. And the games that he does take that on the team seems to play much better. I think the problem is when he is having trouble whether due to the defense, zone, big guys defending, double teams, early fouls whatever. He can get taken out of the game somewhat emotionally. Last night I think it was a lot to do with the 2 early fouls. I do think Simms is a good leader and the leader of this team but hope next year it is consistent every game. However Dawes and Newman may be the guys with the ability to take over a game in a tough spot.

Mar 5, 2020, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Perhaps no one will agree ]

Taking over a game doesnt mean that person is always a leader. Leader could be someone who motivates etc. Team leaders dont always mean a great player. Maybe we just arent that talented but we have a leader or two. For example, Kawhi Leonard takes over games and does it all, but he hardly talks to his team. He is a loner. His Spurs teammates weren't even really his friends. We may have leaders, but we dont have a go to guy that is really good. Being a leader is quite often a personality thing.

You could be right, a young team combined with

Mar 5, 2020, 2:22 PM

bringing in transfers every year can get you seasons with a lack of true leadership. Simms has been up and down this year, but I think it has more to do with playing a position he's undersized to play. I think over the next couple of years we will see Newman and Dawes take a leadership role where when nothing else works they will create their own opportunities.

So much of Simms' game depends on good guard play, and a night like last night where the guards can't penetrate or have passing lanes for an entry pass, I'm not sure we can expect him to be on. Although the announcers (who were just awful to listen to) made it seem like CBB was not happy with his effort.

If Jemison continues to develop as much as he has this year, and Dawes/Newman keep developing, it's scary what they may be able to do together in 2 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You could be right, a young team combined with

Mar 5, 2020, 2:34 PM

I agree GWP. I just can’t sit around and worry about things I can’t control. I can see a better Clemson team in future years. There is talent on this team that compares with a lot of other teams in the league... not named Duke,UNC or Lville. The entire league next year will be especially good. I’m not sure that there will be a run away leader in the conference next year either. Hopefully my guys will have something to say about that .

Re: You could be right, a young team combined with

Mar 5, 2020, 4:41 PM

I’m not disagreeing at all, def looks promising the next couple years ... but I keep reading all this in response to posts on here about not getting rid of BB and all especially now bc of the talent we have and the talent coming (which is complexity unproven), my question to that just playing the devils advocate here is how did most feel after making a sweet 16 run and barely losing to one of the best teams in the country with pretty much the entire starting 5 back except one? I for one was very excited about that year and what we could build on and what happens... an embarrassing first round exit in the NiT... just asking again I agree future def looks to be improving I just think you also have to see where ppl are frustrated and tired of having and keeping that hope with him especially after that year

It's a fair point, and I think last year the loss of

Mar 5, 2020, 4:54 PM

both Devoe and Grantham were felt during the season. Even then we were probably a 2nd half collapse against NCSU from making the tournament again. And not that it changes your point at all, but we did make it past the first round of the NIT, beating Wright State before losing to Wichita State in the 2nd round.

I thought firing him last year would have been fair, but by bringing him back and knowing this year was a rebuilding year anyway, he should get next year. Honestly I would give him 2 more years automatically barring some sort of unforeseen controversy. The knock has always been his recruiting. Well now he's recruiting so why not give him a chance to prove it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic