Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just in case you missed it...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,665

Just in case you missed it...

Jan 8, 2020, 8:54 AM

Now, I am telling you, this is a true story. I can verify it [8]
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 11:24 PM

with at least two people. The four of us that went together were young and high strung. We went out in Clemson on Thursday night and got back home in Greenville near Wade Hampton at about 2 am and went to sleep....When I woke up, I yelled into the other room..."What time does that train leave for New Orleans?". One of my buddies mumbled,"Six o'clock". I said,"What time is it now?". And another buddy said,"Six thirty". I grabbed the phone and dialed ZERO on the rotary dial. You youngsters ain't never even seen one of those, much less wait on it to spin all the way around to dial the operator. Anyway, the operator said," Hello,operator speaking",and I said,"Can you give me the number of that train heading to New Orleans?". And she said,"You mean AmWay?". I said,"Yes Ma'am",and she gave me the number. So I called AmWay and asked if the train was still in the Greenville depot. She said, "No sir, it is just pulling out of the station now". I said, "What is its next stop", and she said,"Clemson"....I slammed the phone down and yelled,"We gotta go boys!!"...Well sir, we tossed all our junk in the trunk of Chip's mama's caddilac and we booked it down Wade Hamptom Blvd to Academy, to 123 to Easley,and when we hit open road just past highway 8 we let her rip!! Chip pulled up on the tracks and parked it in front of the train so it could not leave. We jumped in the train and the rest is history,including Chip calling from Atlanta to tell his dad, back in Greenville, that he had left the keys in the Caddy with it running! 13 hours later, Chip's dad Levis picked us up in New Orleans at the train station (They had flown down after having picked up the caddy and driving it back to Greenvillea).....Mr. Gilstrap said, "Well boys, how was the trip". Chip said, "Not too good, they stole Spud's clothes on the train". Mr. Gilstrap laughed and said, "That's funny!", but the smile was quickly erased when Chip said,"Yeah dad, and they were in YOUR POLO HANGING BAG!!".....

Many more memories from that trip, but now is not the time nor place....Time for you youngsters to go make your own and get us a win. If you see a curly gray headed guy with Spud on the back of his cap this weekend, come say hello!

Spud

Go Tigers!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just in case you missed it...

Jan 8, 2020, 9:05 AM

Great story. What year was that?

Jan 8, 2020, 10:35 AM

Sept 12, 81. Tulane, UGA and UNC were all tight games that year. My strongest memory of that season, was seeing old men in red blazers walking out of Death Valley crying, after we took down UGA. Never seen anything like it, before or since.

Jan 8, 2020, 11:13 AM

They thought they were headed to another Natty until we beat them. Then they knew it was over.

i remember a picture of william perry slamming hersel

Jan 8, 2020, 11:18 AM

walker for no gain. (no spud didn't take it, it was not sideways)

Great story Spud. Sounds just like my dad’s stories

Jan 8, 2020, 9:10 AM

Hes a Citadel man but pulls for the tigers. His dad, 2 brothers and 2 sons are all Tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Question

Jan 8, 2020, 9:41 AM

How did the train then depart to New Orleans if the caddy was left running, assuming still on the tracks? Did you make this up? Be honest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No ...he parked it and ran back to the train..

Jan 8, 2020, 10:39 AM

Maybe another one of you on here know Chip and can get him to verify...

Message was edited by: Spud®

Jan 8, 2020, 10:22 AM

Hi Spud,
Been reading your posts here for a while. Never realized you knew my uncle Chip and Grand Dad!
I am sure we have met before at games at Colemans tailgate.
Kelly Here!

Yes ...good friends...Levis was a character..we shot

Jan 8, 2020, 10:44 AM

Doves in a subdivision he was cutting up in Libertyone night and then he took us to Ye Ole Fireplace for a steak....all of us dressed in camo. Well sir...Levi's wanted to dance..He was probably my age now at the time...and he had to have on a sport coat. So he borrowed one from somebody and hit the floor....Camo and a blue blazer...

Re: Yes ...good friends...Levis was a character..we shot

Jan 8, 2020, 11:44 AM

Ah yes! Lot's of good times at Ye Ol' Fireplace!

Jan 8, 2020, 12:03 PM

I'm still laughing.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 6:32 PM

Good Grief , Spud! You sure have changed since you left” you know where.” You are a lucky guy to have done AND survived that.

Jan 8, 2020, 6:32 PM

Good Grief , Spud! You sure have changed since you left” you know where.” You are a lucky guy to have done AND survived that.

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,665
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic