Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
XT and the new NCAA Waiver
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

XT and the new NCAA Waiver

Aug 21, 2020, 11:30 PM

Any reason he wouldn’t play every game this year now?

The implication for teams like Clemson who want to give the young guys a lot of experience means a ton. All of our freshmen should get playing time in excess of the 4 game rule. Sounds like all good news for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: XT and the new NCAA Waiver

Aug 21, 2020, 11:45 PM

He won't because he's not ready.

But, yes, theoretically he could. I would suspect he might not play the first few games (except for Citadel maybe).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2020, 6:21 AM

When I read about the new NCAA waiver, I immediately thought about XT. The potential for his season has totally been changed. If he can get healthy enough, he could play in enough games this season and get drafted. Praying for him to have a speedy recovery.

Aug 22, 2020, 7:51 AM

XT will play every game this year especially The Citadel. This will allow him to play himself into shape for games that will be more of a challenge later in the year.

Aug 22, 2020, 3:25 PM

Great ball player but not as talented as Justin Foster last year and KJ, Mascoll, Bresee and others have likely passed him by. A year off may be a win-win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What?

Aug 22, 2020, 3:29 PM

Not as talented as Justin Foster, KJ, and Mascoll? Seriously??

Re: What?

Aug 22, 2020, 4:39 PM

I like a lot of his game.

I am not crazy about his bend. He's not tall for an end but he plays really tall - not a good thing! - and you see guys get under his pads way too much.

That would be the big knock on XT, IMHO. He works hard on that he's back on the NFL draft radar, without it, I dunno.

He's been coached for two years.

Aug 22, 2020, 4:50 PM

If this playing too high and "bend" are real issues, then this is something that's already been addressed.

XT was coming along very nicely in a 4-man front. Did his game change? No.

The 3-man front relied on linebackers for pressure, and the defensive line was moreso used for zone and gap control with less upfield rushing. It took XT out of the quickness aspect and out of the pass rushing element of his game. I didn't see more people getting under his pads any more than the previous year, it's just that he was more stationary in the system and wasn't able to utilize his quickness and agility game.

Re: He's been coached for two years.

Aug 22, 2020, 5:17 PM

Oh, no doubt, the 3-man front definitely isn't going to help a guy like XT because it negates a lot of his first step. And he's definitely got a heckuva get-off.

It's just, a lot of times guys do not come in perfect right outta the box either, and despite his obvious strengths - and he has them - I just don't like how high he plays a lot of times. And flexibility can be harder - and slower - to develop than strength. It takes a lot of core work plus something like yoga, just a different set of muscles than pure brute strength.

Just my own observation. I think XT helps himself a lot if he really works on that end of his game.

I doubt we'll see him play til mid-season regardless.

Aug 22, 2020, 5:10 PM

He had some recovery to do and it sounded like everyone thought he would need some time to make up for being shut down like he was for as long as he was. No need to rush things there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2020, 7:11 PM

Since we know he contracted Covi-19, and now hear about the myocarditis condition, I do wonder if his recovery has been more complicated than getting out of playing shape. I expect the staff is on top of this. Anyhow, do we know if he’s been participating in practice?

Aug 22, 2020, 7:29 PM

Dabo said he was practicing back early in camp. If he had myocarditis I’ll guarantee you he would not have been practicing. I’d bet money they’ve done a MRI and other testing on his heart too to rule that out.

Aug 22, 2020, 8:31 PM

Think there’s any chance that, yes he got Covid, thought there was no chance there’d be a season and ate his way out of shape?

When did he get Covid. I heard he got it during Spring Break. If that is true it would seem to me he had plenty of time to get back in shape.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had Covid followed by Strep Throat ... he probably

Aug 23, 2020, 12:24 PM

lost weight. I know I did when I had severe strep.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic