Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Airlines every lower fares?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Will Airlines every lower fares?

Jan 2, 2019, 12:47 PM

Just curious if airlines ever lower fares? In my mind if a plane wasn't going to be sold out I'd think theyd lower them, Obviously there is some cost to having passengers on board, but wouldnt you rather get $400, $500 for the last few seats than nothing?

I don't believe its how they operate but then again i've never bought a ticket last minute because most trips are planned well in advanced.

I'm just trying to hold out some hope that I can get to this game just right now flights/hotels have me priced out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will Airlines every lower fares?

Jan 2, 2019, 12:50 PM

When demand rises, lowering price is pretty much the exact opposite of how the economy works.

Sorry, but I wouldn’t hold out hope if I were you.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:29 PM

I understand supply and demand, which is kind of my point. There's a time that demand ends. As soon has they close the door at the gate, the seat is worthless. I've been on many planes that have a ton of empty seats, my mind tells me those seats should have been dirt cheap the day of the flight but I'm sure they weren't, but why? If the plane is making the trip anyways wouldnt you want as much revenue as possible?

Jan 2, 2019, 1:38 PM

Yeah, and it would be great if it worked that way.

But unfortunately, with this trip especially, they won’t.

I’ve been on planes that had 4 people on them but they had to fly because of a connecting.
I’ve been on overbooked planes that offered hundreds to give up your seat.

The spoke & hub system in the airline industry is impossible to read.

I just don’t feel it’s likely you’re going to see the reduction to $400-500 you want unless you’re really getting creative on the route and willing to drive. See my posts about the drive from Reno if you’re considering that.

Hope you make it dude. Go Tigers!

Jan 2, 2019, 12:53 PM

Yes, they do.

Try different routing. Ask a friend with award miles to book you a ticket for cash. Often, award miles are fairly consistent, despite the cash price. I got my tickets 2 days ago for 25K miles rt on AA.

Trying Flying into SMF, FAT, RNO, LAX and drive over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 12:56 PM

Man, don’t do that to the guy.

They’re adding flights for $1000 a pop and selling them out. The prices aren’t going lower.

Creative routes or other options are certainly an option. But weighing a rental car and all the other factors, if you get airfare/rental car for under $800, you should feel like a winner.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:00 PM

I fly 140 segments a year. Prices do go down.

But you can book a fair Raleigh to Reno RT right now for $500. It's about a 4 hr drive thru some beautiful country. Rent a car for $150.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 1:03 PM

Yes, prices come down all the time for your standard flight. But not when demand is high.

Did you fly during the Eclipse? I had to go to NYC for company travel and paid 3x my normal cost to fly out of my normal airport (GSP) because of the demand to get in the Eclipse path.

Most people don’t have miles, or want to drive more than an hour after they land. And even if they do, it’s still gonna be expensive. $650 to Reno is great, but you’re also adding 10 hours of driving to your trip.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

He asked if they EVER go down. I responded that they do. I see it all the time. Not likely in this case, but they do.

I drive 4 hours to Clemson HOME game. Good grief!

It's obvious he doesn't have miles, but he may have a friend that travels for work.

There is lots to do and see in Cali. If you did the Reno route, you could stop by Napa Valley, spend the day in SF, drive the PCH, etc.

I've flying into Vegas in the morning with 4 kids. spending a couple of days there, then flying to Los Angeles, renting a car one-way to SFO for a drive up the coast.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:17 PM

To each their own sir. And kudos to you.

1) He was asking in reference to the championship game and specifically asked if there was any hope for price reduction regarding that trip. There’s not.

2) Some people don’t enjoy being behind the wheel or have friends willing to hand over miles for a cross-country round trip flight.

3) Going through Reno this weekend could be a weather situation adding additional issues.

I’m not trying to be down on the guy, or yourself. But your mode of operation isn’t realistic for most.

My exec. VP dropped $5800 for airfare of four people this morning. Didn’t think another think of it. His situation, is obviously much different than most.

Nice... Stop by Hearst Castle if you've never seen it...

Jan 2, 2019, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Airlines every lower fares? ]

The 'Library tour' is mind blowing...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Airlines every lower fares? ]

I guess that I am like Fever. I used my miles as well but even with cash it is a $400 per ticket difference in price. If they would be staying near the stadium, they will be driving 45 minutes to an hour from SFO. It was a no brainer for me since I am staying with a friend in Stockton, but hotels will be cheaper out of town as well, so someone doesn't have to drive the whole 4 hours at once. Regardless of the method, I thank all that are going to paint Santa Clara orange. For all of those that are not in a situation to go in person, we will try to do you proud representing our Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Will Airlines every lower fares? ]

I had a friend book Charleston to Reno 550 rt and Charleston is usually expensive to fly out of.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 2, 2019, 12:55 PM

I expect flights to come down some by Friday. You may have to look at some travel sites like justfly.com etc. Be creative and book through multiple airlines. There are a lot of ways to get to California cheaper if you are flexible with time and driving. Prices will come down once all the chaos dies down from everyone booking early this week.

Yes, they do it all the time, but given the fact they’re

Jan 2, 2019, 12:57 PM

Adding flights the demand is high.

Airline do not lower fares as the flight time approaches.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:01 PM

A couple of months ago at work, the knee-jerk decision was made at 8am on a Tuesday morning to send me up to Detroit (from Greenville) that day. The ticket I booked that morning to get me up there later that same day cost the company over $1500. It was the last available seat on the plane, and it definitely wasn't first class.

First class seats purchased in advance on that same flight run around $600.

And it turns out it was a false alarm. The trip was a complete waste of my time and the company's money.

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

Re: Airline do not lower fares as the flight time approaches.

Jan 2, 2019, 4:32 PM

The reason is was $1500 is because it was the last seat on the plane. If there were 10 empty seats, it would have been less.

Sucks now but if you bought after the Cotton Bowl it was

Jan 2, 2019, 1:04 PM

like $300 round-trip from ATL and $750 from GSP, flying into an airport just down the road from the stadium. Tickets, on the other hand, you'll want to wait on as long as possible.

You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600

Jan 2, 2019, 1:07 PM

Just rent a car and drive over.

Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600

Jan 2, 2019, 1:13 PM

Shortest trip from Reno uses I-80 over the Donner Pass through the Rockies.

Snow expected, and 4WD possibly a consideration.

10 hours, through bad weather, with a rental car that should be 4WD just in case (more $$$).

I’m really not trying to be a downer. But I would hate for someone to pull the trigger on something they haven’t researched and have an awful trip, much less make all those arrangements and get stranded.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:21 PM

Dean Cox "the HAT" just made that drive today. And, yes, you might have to pay the chain monkeys if snowing. It's an adventure, man.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:22 PM

Snow starts Friday or Saturday.

I’m not looking for adventure when I’m trying to make it by gametime.

Jan 2, 2019, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

How many hours did it take you? We are going to make the same drive, and have a 4WD vehicle.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2019, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

Maybe they should just stay home and watch on TV.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:24 PM

Lol. Not everyone has the means to host an award winning tailgate Fever®...

The amazing Bloody Marys, RV spot, lower deck seats, etc are no doubt living your best life.

But there’s a lot of us that don’t have the ability to baller out every week like you do, yet still find a way to get there and cheer on our Tigers.

I love some snow! Sounds like a plan to me!***

Jan 2, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

It's the Sierras, not the Rockies

Jan 2, 2019, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

but carry on.

Re: It's the Sierras, not the Rockies

Jan 2, 2019, 3:16 PM

15045590-99-C0-4386-B003-FEA1-A29-B5-EC5.

Jan 2, 2019, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

I flew into Albuquerque and drove through a little snow going to Glendale. When Ohio State won was driving from Cincinnati to New York through a Great Lakes blizzard. I guess it must be a tradition for me to drive through snow this week. Doesn't bother me much, but thanks for bringing it to the attention of ones considering this route.

Jan 2, 2019, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

I can assure you the Donner Pass is not over the Rockies.

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

Jan 2, 2019, 1:19 PM [ in reply to You can do Charlotte to Reno for like 600 ]

cheaper to skiplag or connect through Charlotte. Leave from somewhere else. Same plane, but cheaper.

it's gouging time, I paid $1400 to fly to Glendale from ATL***

Jan 2, 2019, 1:08 PM

Jan 2, 2019, 1:36 PM

1) Are you willing to drive several hours?
2) Do you have to return on Tuesday, or can you return on Wednesday?
3) What airport is closest to you?
4) How many travelers in your group?

With that info, we can help you with alternatives. But hoping for a Sunday flight into San Jose with return Tuesday morning to drop to $500, doesn't seem realistic in this case.

Jan 2, 2019, 3:39 PM

I wasn't saying i expect these specific flights to get to $500, I was just kind of spit balling honestly.

But for example take this direct flight delta added from GSP for $1100 round trip. It departs in 48 hours. I checked it first thing this morning and again right now. There were 38 seats you could pick from on the select a seat page, now there are 37. So only 1 seat has been sold in the last 9 hours. That makes me think people aren't exactly jumping at the bit to fork out that kind of money, because obviously theres WAY more than 37 people in upstate SC who'd like to go to this game.

So that was really my initial question. In my head i'd think if another 24 hours pass with out many sold it'd come down some, but that doesnt seem to consensus of this thread.

Jan 2, 2019, 3:54 PM

They may have less than 37 seats left. People don’t pick seats sometimes or get them assigned until checkin. I’ve gotten to plane showing that many trying to non rev, only to have it sold out. A good indicator is try and buy the max amount of seats they will let you to see if you can. For example, I think AA is 7 amd Delta is 9 while SWA is 8.

Message was edited by: iptay93

Jan 2, 2019, 3:42 PM

To answer your question directly, not usually the closer the day of travel.

Full disclosure, I’m a pilot for a major.

When demand is high and limited seats like these, they won’t come down because they know people have to get there just like a Sunday after thanksgiving. Especially when they add flights pulling revenue from another city and stops to offer a nonstop. That’s why they added Sat nonstops because of a reduced schedule on Saturdays like most airlines operate.

For future, buy refundable tickets at least 21days out, may be more than cheap fare but not near what a last minute flight will cost. Plus if team doesn’t make it you’re not out money.

Usually fare sales are months in advance but a few big dates to remember for tickets increases: 21 day advance, to 7 day advance purchases. The closer to flight the great chance of no deals. Why? They make money on the last minute traveler ala business meeting, game, etc and no competition since supply of seats are short.

More than a month or so out, planning you can price shop and most airlines are similar price, inside 21 days the hub and spoke airlines are more expensive than the direct point to point airlines. Inside 7 days like most are looking at now, it’s normal, the airlines May have a few seats left but someone will end up buying them since it’s for a particular day and event and game tickets are bought. So what’s another 2-4 grand when 2 gramd were spent on tickets.

Someone mentioned above about secondary airports. They are correct, except places like Asheville which is expensive smaller airport , they are usually cheaper. Also, driving a few hours to save a connection may reduce price.

On side note, if anyone has access to a 737, I’ll fly it there will 143 of my closest Clemson fans as long as everyone pitches in for fuel. But that’ll cost more than the tickets prices you’re seeing now.

FYI, hotels in Santa Clare I just saw a residence inn for 1100 for 1 night.

Jan 2, 2019, 3:46 PM

I’ll add, there are also charters going from prime sports. They pay Swa, delta, whoever that gets the bid.

The distance and fuel cost is probably reason for higher prices as well. Phoenix was same way first year we went. But not near this expensive.

Message was edited by: iptay93

If you can leave Thursday, travelocity has CLT to SAC for $572

Jan 2, 2019, 3:53 PM

And its only 88 miles from Sacramento to Frisco.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you can leave Thursday, travelocity has CLT to SAC for $572

Jan 2, 2019, 10:01 PM

1.5 hour drive, done it a few times...

My daughter got one for $700 today.***

Jan 2, 2019, 6:46 PM

Jan 2, 2019, 10:00 PM

There is a large Pharma convention in SFO the weekend before the game, thats sapping demand as well.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic