Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will 17 Republican senators vote for impeachment?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 604

Will 17 Republican senators vote for impeachment?

Jan 13, 2021, 7:04 PM

I don’t think so. Only 10 of approximately 200-ish Republican House members voted for impeachment in the house. But I don’t disagree with the impeachment procedures. There has to be some accountability, and if a future president lies about election results and insights violence with lies in the future they need to understand that the Congress will come after them.

You can’t understate how bad last Wednesday was. It could’ve been so much worse since some of these guys had guns and bombs. Overthrowing the government just can never be on the table as acceptable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will 17 Republican senators vote for impeachment?

Jan 13, 2021, 7:19 PM

There's a boatload of difference.

Reps really don't have a lot of latitude to get out of sync with the immediate wishes of their constituents. They have 2-year terms.

Senators have 6-year terms...and they're usually veteran politicos who have been around the block a bunch of times and know when it's time to hop to the next wave. The ones who are standing again in 2022 will probably have the same level of pause as the Representatives, but the ones who aren't standing until 2024 or just got re-elected and won't stand again until 2026 - and this includes McConnell, by the way - have a lot more latitude to impeach because they know four or six years is an eternity in politics and the winds will have certainly shifted by then.

In particular I think this Trump wave is about to hit the rocks hard, and anybody who's still riding that wave is going to get absolutely worked. I see it, Mitch McConnell certainly sees it. And the more nimble and foresightful of them will smoothly hop right on to the next one claiming they always hated Donald (and secretly stood up to him) while dipsh!t newbs like Tommy Tuberville are getting made proxies for all the rage Trump earned on the Hill and ground into hamburger.

There's this concept the old-time politicos like to throw around: realpolitik. It's Mitch McConnell's one and only guiding light. I suspect we're about to see it again good and hard, and they're not going to buy Donald a drink first either.

Donald has become a liability, and is starting to stink up the room. What happens next is fairly...uhm, obvious.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:32 PM

I hope you’re right, but roughly 5% of the house Republicans impeached him and now in the Senate 30% plus of the Republicans will have to impeach him. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Trumps speech tonight probably helped him. Clearly Trump realizes he has to do something to make Republican senators feel better.

Saw a prominent pollster interviewed tonight. I think his name is Frank Luntz. He had a focus group of voters in the last couple of days, and only 5% of the Republican said they would’ve changed their vote based off what happened last Wednesday. Still the majority of Republicans think the election was rigged.

I can’t help but think that these Republican senators will focus on these type polls. The most puzzling thing to me is how many people think the election was rigged. A recently resigned cabinet member(can’t remember her name now, but I can try to find a link later to her interview) stated after she resigned that trumps internal polls happened the way they thought except for Georgia. This is proof positive that Trump probably wasn’t overly surprised at the results of the election. Of course if he had won Georgia he still would’ve lost by a sizable margin.

I will never understand why many smart people cannot see through trumps BS. I just don’t get it.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:52 PM

I think they'll get their 17 plus a couple.

They won't get Lindsey Graham, nor any of the six who voted to support Trump's resolution to overturn the electors, but they'll get the moderates - certainly Romney and Sasse, and probably also Collins, Murkowski, Thune, Joni Ernst, Pat Toomey, etc...probably also Cornyn from Texas.

Tom Cotton is running in his own lane; he's hyper-conservative and borderline authoritarian but he's also a fastidious Constitutionalist. Trump offends him. Rand Paul is a psychotic libertarian but while he weaves all over the map at times he follows McConnell's lead in the crunch. What are we up to now already, 8 or 9?

If Mitch breaks, though - and he will, IMHO - his whole inner circle comes with him, and that includes everyone from Deb Fisher of Nebraska to Mike Lee of Utah to Todd Young of Indiana, probably 10-15 in all, though if he gets them all I'd be fascinated to see.

If Mitch wants the votes, whatever, he'll get the votes. All really depends on Mitch McConnell and right now I suspect he's got one final message he'd like to send, which is: do not eff with Mitch McConnell.

Jan 13, 2021, 8:58 PM

Again, I really hope you are correct, but even CNN is saying it’s a longshot now. McConnell came out tonight with a comment that he wasn’t sure if impeachment was appropriate. My belief is that they will look at these recent polls that show many Trump voters would still vote for him even today and they still think the election is illegitimate. Why that is I don’t understand. But these Republican senators are more interested in power than idealism. I just don’t think it’s gonna happen, but I’m hope I’m wrong

Jan 13, 2021, 7:20 PM

Great incite

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 604
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic