Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why would Clemson play football if there are no students
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Why would Clemson play football if there are no students

Aug 11, 2020, 11:43 AM

on campus?

Money?

Makes zero sense to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, it would be due to money.

Aug 11, 2020, 11:49 AM

Prioritizing football over most everything else is what "football schools" do, right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Yes, it would be due to money.

Aug 11, 2020, 11:50 AM

Coots might too but they arent a football school.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point!

Aug 11, 2020, 11:51 AM

What do women's basketball schools do then? :)

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

What about the other fall sports ? Do they get to play ?

Aug 11, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Yes, it would be due to money. ]

I haven't heard anything about this ?

Bad optics IMO.

Re: What about the other fall sports ? Do they get to play ?

Aug 11, 2020, 11:56 AM

what are these "other" sports you speak of? ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prioritze steak over chicken...

Aug 11, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Yes, it would be due to money. ]

because I like steak better...but chicken is still good. Just sayin'

But to the OP, obviously the big money comes from TV, not ticket sales.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would Clemson play football if there are no students

Aug 11, 2020, 11:50 AM

There will be students. They will be taking courses on-line and watching football on TV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

football is the reason that most alum return to campus after

Aug 11, 2020, 12:05 PM

graduation. Football is the main reason why fans that did not go to school there to actually come on to campus. Football is a major revenue source for the University and surrounding community as well. Fans that have no family attending would not spend their hard earned money to either groups, and have no real reason to support the school in any way, shape or form. Do not demonize the fact that a lot of people have their careers and income for their families on the line here. Money is the reason why we ALL work, so that we can provide for our families. If they can find a way to keep the players, coaches and public as safe as they would be in their normal lives WITHOUT football, then WHY NOT LET THEM PLAY. If things get worse, then they can always scuttle it. If not, you will never know.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Like during Fall Break? Or on Thanksgiving weekend?***

Aug 11, 2020, 12:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Online classes 8/19...on campus 9/21

Aug 11, 2020, 12:12 PM

First road game 9/12
First home game is in October...after on campus teaching is scheduled....

first home game is technically 9/19 just opponent is TBD and

Aug 11, 2020, 12:47 PM

we may not have one. However students return to campus starting 9/13(through 9/18) according to the current schedule. On-campus classes start 9/19. All the off campus kids have already started moving back and most would probably be in town prior to online starting in a couple of weeks.

meant on-campus classes start 9/21***

Aug 11, 2020, 1:01 PM

Online classes 8/19...on campus 9/21

Aug 11, 2020, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Like during Fall Break? Or on Thanksgiving weekend?*** ]

First road game 9/12
First home game is in October...after on campus teaching is scheduled....

TV MONEY which translates to athletic department's survival***

Aug 11, 2020, 12:10 PM

Aug 11, 2020, 12:11 PM

Money is probably a big factor. But I also truly believe that some people are just plain tired of this COVID. Yes its a deadly virus but look folks its here to stay. We have to start learning to live with it. Its not magically going to be better in the spring. Someone has to have the guts to be the first to say YES we will do this and push forward.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the better question is "Why wouldn't they?"

Aug 11, 2020, 12:13 PM

The basketball team plays while students are out for Christmas and New Years break and the baseball team continues to play long after students leave for the summer (albeit not as long as we would prefer).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And our rivalry game in football is on Thanksgiving break

Aug 11, 2020, 1:05 PM

Not to mention we often have a home game during Fall Break

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the likelihood...

Aug 11, 2020, 1:37 PM

of fans being allowed to attend games is remote at best so ultimately, does it really matter if there are any students on campus?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 11, 2020, 12:15 PM

so we don't have to worry about whether or not the Hill is full.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two words ... advertising revenue.***

Aug 11, 2020, 12:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Aug 11, 2020, 12:58 PM

Goodwill. Clemson Football brings more alums to campus and maintains more friendships than anything else Clemson does. It is secondary to the award of degrees (also issued for money), but nonetheless, it maintains more goodwill, excitement, and relationships with the university and alums than any other aspect or byproduct of Clemson University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 11, 2020, 1:03 PM

Maybe they just wanna play ball. Students aren’t coming off the bench to get in on plays......they wanna compete.....that’s what they do.

Because its football season, and they want to, also

Aug 11, 2020, 1:09 PM

to see if they can win it all, public interest, revenues, and that's what football players do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is the first thing Clemson and other schools should do

Aug 11, 2020, 1:13 PM

now, get the kids on campus where they can be indoctrinated on protocols that will work, for hygiene, wearing masks, etc. Better for all around if we do that, rather than just have them wandering around bored at home, with time on their hands and nothing constructive to do. That has never ended well, for like, ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic