Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why the religious fall for conspiracy theories: A hypothesis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Why the religious fall for conspiracy theories: A hypothesis

Jan 19, 2021, 10:30 AM

It all boils down to power.

They wanted Trump to win. They didn't get their way. They don't have the power to change it. This lack of control and power to change things to what they want isn't something they are use to. Therefore they must look to those that they believe do have the power to change things into what they want. Whether these people actually have the power or not.

Same goes for religion. Bad things happen in life. We don't have the power to change things sometimes, especially tragedies in our lives. This lack of power and control over what is happening to us doesn't sit well with people (human nature drives us to want to control our environment). Therefore, we look to those that we believe have the power to control what happens to us. It gives reason to something reasonless.

In one case, Trump. In the other case, God.

Boils down to lack of power and control over events leads people to find solace in who they think can have that power and control.

And that is why religious people are more susceptible to conspiracy theories.

https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2020/11/conspiracy-theories

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Why the religious fall for conspiracy theories: A hypothesis

Jan 19, 2021, 10:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 10:40 AM

It's scary that you are teaching young minds with your generalizations and bigotry towards religious people.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 1:02 PM

He's on this message board all day and no telling what other sites. I wish his principal would find out his students are being neglected and fire his ###.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Jan 19, 2021, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Why the religious fall for conspiracy theories: A hypothesis ]

Y'all might notice that coach suggests this as a hypothesis - something to be discussed and examined.

And I don't think that the idea that things that seem beyond our control cause us discomfort is too radical an idea. Nor is the idea that some people might deal with that discomfort by seeking an authority figure that they feel CAN control those things.

Psychologists have long been observing these connections

https://www.psypost.org/2018/05/study-authoritarian-mostly-explains-religious-people-report-less-independence-intellect-51297

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/rethinking-mental-health/201801/why-authoritarians-love-religion

And researchers continue to study them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3389201/

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-1-4020-8265-8_939

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

Jan 19, 2021, 10:43 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A foundational modern conservative described it as

Jan 19, 2021, 11:13 AM

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible d a m n problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

That was Barry Goldwater. He didn't account for the Trump worshipers joining the fray, though.

I really don’t know about being more susceptible

Jan 19, 2021, 1:34 PM

to conspiracy theories...at least not on the whole. I know a lot of very religious folks, who are very grounded and practical. They tend to be Methodists and Presbyterians more so than Baptists or other. Those that I think have really amped things up and torn the Republican Party apart, tend to be evangelicals. With that said, I don’t think all evangelicals are created equal either. For lack of a better description...those evangelicals that would lean more towards Billy Graham’s teachings as opposed to Jerry Falwell/Bob Jones tend to generally be more ‘sane’ and reasonable. The ‘Jerry Falwell/Bob Jones’ evangelicals are the real #### show crowd IMO. When they hijacked the party back in the 80’s is when I started to check out.

Re: A foundational modern conservative described it as

Jan 19, 2021, 3:09 PM [ in reply to A foundational modern conservative described it as ]

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. Sinclair Lewis

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic