Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is there a GoFundMe for literally everything...?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Why is there a GoFundMe for literally everything...?

Dec 26, 2020, 10:02 AM

It’s ridiculous. There’s insurance, government assistance, non-profit programs and something called a ‘rainy day’ fund.

I understand helping your neighbor, but donating loads of cash to people is crazy. People buying contribution as a substitute for true neighborism (i.e. giving time, preparing food, etc).

I’d like to think I have my affairs in order and risks mitigated. Goes along with everyone always looking for a handout...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is there a GoFundMe for literally everything...?

Dec 26, 2020, 10:18 AM

Schools, churches, civic organizations, even the glass jar on the counter next to the 7-11 cash register have always been around. It’s just that social media has made caring, supporting, being charitable and helping people in a time of need even more pervasive than it ever was before. Y’know, much like it has given annoying aholes like me the medium to give my opinion on current events, politics, and your comments or actions, whether you wanted to hear them, or not.

But I could be wrong. Just give it a few minutes and someone will probably let us know.

hth?

(Oh, and ywia ??)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 26, 2020, 10:22 AM

Other people’s money is always way better than your own money paying for premiums or sitting in a savings account.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 26, 2020, 10:26 AM

There isn't a GFM for everything. If Antifa scum burn down your business they won't let you have one to recover your losses. Also if Antifa scum attack you and you defend yourself you won't be allowed to have one to pay your attorney fees. Basically GFM is only for leftists. If anyone on the left steals from you or beats you up you are excluded from participating.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2020, 10:37 AM

As GWP would say "Wrong board moron", but I am interested why you said ANTIFA twice but left out BLM,they are leftest marxists and were looting and burning too!

Dec 26, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is there a GoFundMe for literally everything...? ]

Why bring politics into a Clemson family's tragedy?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 26, 2020, 10:27 AM

I sure hope this is not in reference to the Clemson 3rd string QB (TP) unfortunate family situation with the family house being destroyed by a fire. I never play devils advocate but just this once I will. I have some of the best insurance money can buy and I have been burned more than once by insurance not completely covering all expenses. Government assistance programs are great but it usually takes weeks if not months to get approved for the help that is usually needed immediately. I am not sure what the rainy day fund is because I have never had one. I am guessing this is some sort of savings which I agree it is a great idea to have as much as possible but the fact is that most Americans don’t have enough savings to get them through a catastrophic event like suddenly losing your house. I can’t stand the entitlement crowd I see now, but I am going to be thankful that I didn’t just have a life changing event take place. If your post was not in reference to TP then I apologize.

Dec 26, 2020, 10:59 AM

When you give to a worthy cause, the blessing is in the giving. I consider a Clemson player's family's home burning down on top of losing a grandmother the day before to fall into the worthy category. No one is forcing you to give, so please give the complaining a rest.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 26, 2020, 10:32 AM

Its not my thing but its not like they MAKE you contribute. So why is it such a problem for you personally then?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2020, 10:48 AM

If it makes you uncomfortable don't give. Just realize, what others do is out of your control.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:41 AM

Look at the positive, when you see large amounts given you can sleep well at night knowing there was nothing you needed to do to contribute. A tragedy happened to someone you don’t know and people you also don’t know helped out. It’s a feel good time for all

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get the venom, directed at a charitable concern.

Dec 26, 2020, 10:53 AM

While there may be some out there that are self serving, the GREAT majority of them were set up for legitimate reasons. No one is forcing you to give, and, unlike Medicare Plans, there are not endless commercials for them flooding the TV airwaves. Just say no, or remain silent. If GoFundMe's actually make you angry, there may be some conscience trying to break through there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Does Republicans & Democrats Raise Money....---

Dec 26, 2020, 11:02 AM

....for campaigns when our tax dollars paid should cover that mess already? I mean who charges $450 or more for a plate of food at some of these gatherings they have?? So yeah....a lot of people have Go Fund Me pages.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:21 AM

People have always been free to gibe their money (or energy) to whomever they wish - now it is worldwide.

Some humans ask for help - other humans freely give it. What's the problem ??

Some people give ‘thoughts and prayers’

Dec 26, 2020, 11:28 AM

Others want a more tangible way to give. Some people have significant and legitimate needs. If you don’t believe their needs are valid, then skip and move on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2020, 12:23 PM

Could it be because GFM keeps 10% of the money? It is much better to give directly to the need. When the tornado that ripped through Seneca damaged out pastors house, a GFM was set up to help out. The church provided a way to give directly. Why not allow that extra 10% go to meet the need?

Dec 26, 2020, 5:01 PM

Appreciate all the replies. More so suggesting that there are legitimate reasons to give (i.e. tragic death, house burns down and no insurance, etc.), but there was on this morning on my feed for a kid (made by random associated person) who wanted a PS5...

There’s no vetting, GoFundMe actually keeps a %, etc.

More of a commentary of people and the social media mob. Just kind of crazy IMO.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic