Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is it that "There is something in these hills" when it comes to football......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Why is it that "There is something in these hills" when it comes to football......

Mar 13, 2017, 11:40 AM

But not basketball?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"There is something in these hills" trascends sports ...

Mar 13, 2017, 11:48 AM

It's about CLEMSON ... the history, the tradition, the campus, the town, the students, the residents, the faculty & staff, the environment, ... the overall spirit.

It transcends sports completely.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "There is something in these hills" trascends sports ...

Mar 13, 2017, 11:55 AM

I happen to agree.

But sometimes I read what some folks on here write about basketball recruits...about why Clemson can't get the best players....and it seems to me that the environment at Clemson should help get better recruits.

Again, I am not talking strictly about the basketball facilities or the coaching. But to quote you....the overall spirit.

Clemson's difficulty in getting good basketball players is

Mar 13, 2017, 12:02 PM

way more complicated than Football.

A lot of good basketball players come from more urban environments and the geographic location of Clemson does not appeal to them.

Basketball players also have an opportunity to shine at more places than in Football. Lots of guys feel like they need to be on a big name program to get NFL attention but that is less of an issue with basketball.

I guess being in the ACC is kind of a double edge sword. If they think about how they will get to play in the ACC by coming to Clemson they probably can go to an ACC school with a better basketball pedigree as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2017, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: "There is something in these hills" trascends sports ... ]

as you have stated here and my response below, I have not followed bball recruiting at all so I can't really say. However, it would be interesting to know if we are getting said recruits to come experience Clemson and/or what percentage of recruits that do come here 4 bball and sign vs. that same percent in other sports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2017, 12:00 PM [ in reply to "There is something in these hills" trascends sports ... ]

Have to agree with Apex, just something about it as soon as you get close to them hills. As for sports, I would think if you can get anyone to just come experience it, you have exponentially given yourself a huge advantage of said person wanting to join that experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is it that "There is something in these hills" when it comes to football......

Mar 13, 2017, 12:02 PM

It's the way the two sports have evolved at Clemson. Back in my day, Coach Howard recruited heavily in the coal mining areas in Pennsylvania and brought in some tough guys to play football. They weren't always the best students but they were mean and nasty. lol. Today's game is quite different and teams don't rely as heavily on mean,tough guys but prefer athletic,speedy guys who are very skillful.

Basketball is somewhat different. To me, it has always been a playground game learned at its highest level in the big city projects. Look at the early ACC teams in the late 50's and 60's to see where the stars came from. McGuires first national championship team started five guys from New York (I think I am right about this). Recruiting good basketball skill guys just hasn't ever been done at Clemson that I remember.

This, of course has nothing to do with "something in the hills" but for some reason we just don't attract the basketball players that win championships.. we've had a lot of coaches since I have followed CLEMSON basketball beginning in 1960 and none have been able to do it! The right way.....coach Locke was pretty good but let's not go there

Its inside... cant see the hills

Mar 13, 2017, 12:06 PM

HTH!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its inside... cant see the hills

Mar 13, 2017, 12:07 PM

+1 for you. Thanks for the laugh.

Re: Its inside... cant see the hills

Mar 13, 2017, 12:08 PM

it was a good one. !

Re: Why is it that "There is something in these hills" when it comes to football......

Mar 13, 2017, 12:08 PM

Because we don't live in the state of North Carolina.

Mar 13, 2017, 12:11 PM

I think Forest and Thunda hit on the traditional way it has been but I'm not really seeing that anymore. True, it's still a playground game but with TV and social media etc. and the "Clemson" brand, we should be able to bring talent in... else Va Tech or Fla st, Miami etc would be in the same boat and not have good teams - Same as with Florida.

IMO - it starts at the top. it's whether or not you're dedicated to having the best or just having a team. and I'm talking all sports.

Mar 13, 2017, 3:52 PM

Miami and Tallahassee aren't exactly small southern towns. In the past, it was difficult to convince a big time player from the Bronx to spend his college years in CLEMSON, South Carolina. Talk about a culture shock!

I talked to coach Foster and coach Shyatt about this very thing at length one day and they both agreed.

Today's CLEMSON is certainly not the CLEMSON of the past and I think we can and will improve in basketball recruiting but it is a slow process. The question is "who can do it?" Brownell? Maybe. But he hasn't yet. Hopefully the new emphasis on basketball with the renovation of LJ etc will pay off. Let's hang together and see. Staying positive and supporting the team AND coach is important. I think

Mar 13, 2017, 12:22 PM

Why is Kansas, Kentucky and Dook good in Basketball and not so much in Football? Simply a different dynmanic.

look at the states they are in

Mar 13, 2017, 1:05 PM

you know about "football schools" and "basketball schools". Well, there are "football states" and "basketball states" as well.

States like SC, Alabama, Georgia pack stadiums during the Fall, where states like NC, Indiana, Kentucky pack gymnasiums during the Winter.

The AD has his head too far up his a$$ to see the hills***

Mar 13, 2017, 12:56 PM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mar 13, 2017, 1:02 PM

Why don't we use the success of football to help basketball? I hate UNC but former basketball stars are helping promote the UNC football team. Dabo could really help here with the university president.

Mar 13, 2017, 1:20 PM

Basketball in the ACC has a history of being a Tobacco Road sport while Clemson the major football school. Addition of schools has diluted this somewhat but over the long run, history seems to project itself. When I was a student in the tin cans or the shoe boxes or the high-rises ages ago I went to football games expecting wins and to BB games expecting to lose. But, as a student, the Bball games were loud and fun, whether in Fike or Littlejohn. I suggest that all on Tigernet go to the BB games for the fun and become real fans.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic