Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does Darnold get a pass on turnovers but Watson didn’t?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Why does Darnold get a pass on turnovers but Watson didn’t?

Dec 30, 2017, 12:52 AM

Amazing

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does Darnold get a pass on turnovers but Watson didn’t?

Dec 30, 2017, 12:54 AM

Ummm...I don't think he is. The turnover part of his game is what's making many "gurus" say he should stay for another season to refine his game.

Dec 30, 2017, 12:56 AM

The same gurus that have him going #1 in their mock drafts

Dec 30, 2017, 1:12 AM

Some do, yes...and rightfully so in my opinion. If you can't see the upside to Darnold, you're insane. He has the potential to be the next great NFL QB if he's put in the right situation. I felt the same way about Watson. People deeply underestimated how #### good Watson was for some reason--probably because he was running a spread offense instead of a pro-style and, let's face it, probably some did it because he's a black quarterback. Does that make them right? Definitely not. However I'll never understand disparaging other players in order to promote the guy I like. Heck, tonight they talked about how Darnold is a huge fan of Watson's and received personal advice from Deshaun in how to best set personal goals.

The fact of the matter is this: for the most part, sports writers don't have any more insight than a rabid fan, they just have a louder voice. That louder voice also creates a substantial ego after awhile, and so they're more likely to be condescending, attention-seeking jerks. They're also prone to going for whatever is going to garner the most clicks since it means more money in their pocket. Ultimately, we can all roll our eyes and laugh at the absurdity that comes from the sports media, but we shouldn't get too worked up over it.

Dec 30, 2017, 10:09 AM

Sorry I don't see it. Next topic.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who's giving him a pass? I've heard nothing of the sort.***

Dec 30, 2017, 1:01 AM

Re: Who's giving him a pass? I've heard nothing of the sort.***

Dec 30, 2017, 1:06 AM

Palmer just said Darnold should still be the #1 pick.

Re: Who's giving him a pass? I've heard nothing of the sort.***

Dec 30, 2017, 1:19 AM

In all fairness, if you listened to all the college football analysts who didn't have a connection to being an NFL scout, they were all pretty much screaming in unison that Watson is the best player and they'd take him over anyone else in the draft.

My personal favorite college football site (nationally) is SB Nation, and they had a good take on this:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/16/16481734/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-clemson

Some key quotes:

It’s as if the guy who was the best player in two national title games is good at football.

Search Twitter every time he scores, and you'll find someone who's not even a Clemson fan bragging about knowing all along.

Let's roll the clock back to the 2017 draft. College fans could not believe Watson was being talked about as the second-, third-, or fourth-best QB in this group. We liked Texas Tech's Pat Mahomes and the little bit we got to see of UNC's Mitchell Trubisky, plus most of the others, but Watson was the one we banged the table for, to use Mike Mayock's lingo.

“But Watson’s arm lacks velocity.”

He had enough velocity to sling 825 yards in two games against Nick Saban, alongside another 116 via his foot velocity.

Palmer just likes his hair***

Dec 30, 2017, 7:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Who's giving him a pass? I've heard nothing of the sort.*** ]

Dec 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

The fact that Watson was viewed as a system Quarterback and a running Quarterback hurt him a little with the RG3 and Manziel, etc in recent years. The one thing USC does not have is a coach or a system. :)

Message was edited by: smokedog_69_93®

These are the same experts who say Baker Mayfield..

Dec 30, 2017, 7:27 AM

starting 30+ games is the one factor he has over Rosen and Darnold for starting fewer games, but discounted Watson's starting 30+ games as "meaningless" over Kyzer, Mahones, and Trubisky starting fewer games.

Re: These are the same experts who say Baker Mayfield..

Dec 30, 2017, 10:07 AM

I would take Rosen over Darnold at this point. Rosen played on a team that had a god awful defense. Average offense that he made competitive.

I have not seen anything from Darnold at this point that would lead me to believe he would be a success in the NFL other than the physical attributes that the NFL people over value at their own peril in a QB. He needed to stay. He is not DW making these mistakes. DW showed up Darnold does not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: These are the same experts who say Baker Mayfield..

Dec 30, 2017, 10:16 AM

I would take Rosen over Darnold too. But to be honest I think people are forgetting about Lamar Jackson. He may completely screw up 1on1 interviews, but I think he's gonna test off the charts.

As long as be doesn't pull a full on Vince Young & go crazy I think he has a good if not great NFL career.

Darnold proved to me last night he needs to stay because his footwork in the pocket went to crap any time a defender was close.

His feet just stopped and he would take his left hand off the ball leaving it exposed. 2 fumbles that way. When he did throw it in those situations it was all arm & floating. He's not ready.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic