Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Wofford for Our Military Appreciation Opponent???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Why Wofford for Our Military Appreciation Opponent???

Oct 27, 2019, 7:22 PM

jtiger1's question about this coming weekends game got me questioning Why Wofford??? What is their connection to our military?

Here is all I could find printed in Wofford's History on the Wofford.edu web site:

"The return of financial stability made it possible for Wofford to claim a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1941, the first time such recognition had been extended to an independent college in South Carolina. Soon after this happy occasion, however, the nation plunged into World War II. Wofford graduates served in the military in large numbers, many as junior combat officers or aviators. At least 75 alumni and students died in the war. Wofford’s enrollment was so drastically reduced that the Army took over the campus on Feb. 22, 1943, to offer accelerated academic instruction for Air Corps officers. The faculty and 96 remaining Wofford students did their work at Spartanburg Junior College or at Converse.

After the war, under the stimulus of the G.I. Bill of Rights, enrollment suddenly shot up to 720 during 1947-48. This figure was almost twice the reasonable capacity of Wofford’s facilities, already taxed by two decades of postponed maintenance."

Any one else know of a military connection for Wofford???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Wofford for Our Military Appreciation Opponent???

Oct 27, 2019, 7:29 PM

They have army ROTC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Opponent affiliation doesn't matter..

Oct 27, 2019, 7:30 PM

Next to last home game.
Last game is Senior Day

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because Wake is Senior Day

Oct 27, 2019, 7:30 PM

Military Day is usually next-to-last game. Opponent has no bearing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The opponent doesn’t have to have a connection

Oct 27, 2019, 7:31 PM

It’s usually just a late season non premium game. Otherwise it would’ve been A&M this year

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2019, 7:34 PM

Good Question. WHY Wofford? It just gives ammo to those taking pot shots at the Tigers.

Oct 27, 2019, 7:35 PM

Yeah those #### Clemson Tigers and their *shuffles deck* military appreciation game against Wofford.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

It’s Clemson’s military appreciation day not Wofford’s

Oct 27, 2019, 7:41 PM

??

Can’t tell if you are trolling if so hats off

Oct 27, 2019, 7:43 PM

Expert level troll . If not then you are loser go Away

Thanks for the laugh "Sparkie". . .

Oct 27, 2019, 7:51 PM

but I'm here to stay . . . was just curious . . .

I thought I remembered an early Terrier mascot, a Boston Terrier, walking upright with a rifle over his shoulder . . . but I had to be mistaken . . . no, just plain wrong . . . as I cannot find that image anywhere

[Odd name for a Tiger (Sparkles, Sparkie . . . whatever)]

Learn something new everyday:

"Where Did Spartanburg Get the Nickname Sparkle City?
In 1956, four boys from Cowpens High School formed a rock band named The Sparkletones. 1957 they signed with the ABC Paramount record label after winning a local talent contest. The Sparkletones had multiple Billboard Top 100 hits, with “Black Slacks” becoming their most popular song. They worked with Paul Anka and performed on American Bandstand, The Nat King Cole Show and The Ed Sullivan Show. The group broke up in 1961 but did occasional reunion shows around South Carolina in the 1980s. Their glory days coined “Sparkle City” as their hometown’s nickname."

Message was edited by: an old fat guy up in NC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for the laugh "Sparkie". . .

Oct 27, 2019, 8:46 PM

these guys could boogie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k726GOD70u8

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Can’t tell if you are trolling if so hats off

Oct 27, 2019, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Can’t tell if you are trolling if so hats off ]

No offense, but what the hell about his post is remotely troll-esk?

Take your own advice and or practice a similance of discretion.

Skeet is far from a troll and far more a Clemson man than one that would derive a conclusion such as yours from the OP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tnx for having my back BbO . . .

Oct 27, 2019, 8:11 PM

It's all good . . . "Sparkles" did make me learn something new . . . AND . . . He did make me laugh!!!

Worth the post for those two things alone!!!

Re: Tnx for having my back BbO . . .

Oct 27, 2019, 8:27 PM

Making me cuss and I don’t know what all... ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2019, 7:46 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_T._Wofford

Oct 27, 2019, 8:04 PM

Wofford College is not named for this Confederate general. It is named for Rev. Benjamin Wofford, a Methodist minister.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2019, 7:55 PM

Because The Citadel has a conference game that day.

The image that makes all coots quake . . .

Oct 27, 2019, 7:59 PM

Oct 27, 2019, 8:07 PM

Closest home game to Veterans Day not already designated Senior Day.

Oct 27, 2019, 9:36 PM

Spartanburg had a big military base called Camp Croft during WWII. When in the Boy Scouts many years ago some troops at a big jamboree at Croft State Park dug up some old live munitions while digging latrines. They relocated all Troops to another area. For many years the government had operations there trying to find and dispose of them properly. It was found that at the end of the war that that area was dug up and everything was buried and covered up. People living in the Camp Croft area to this day still come across military related items. I had 2 aunts that met and married 2 men that they met while at Camp Croft. I don't know if related to Wofford but it seems it could be.

Oct 27, 2019, 10:48 PM

Two items. First, Henry Kissinger went through his basic training at Camp Croft.

Secondly, Wofford invested fairly significantly in Confederate War Bonds and I was told by a former Wofford Treasurer in the late 60's that they still had a large quantity of them. There's another military connection. They just invested in the wrong side for for their ROI but bless their hearts for backing the Confederacy.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic