Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why in field fly rules?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Why in field fly rules?

May 20, 2015, 2:41 PM

Saw my 1st one Monday. a guy explained to me that it was TOO keep people from purposely dropping easy pop flies to turn double plays.

Why was this a concern to baseball? Seems like a legit tactic .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Why in field fly rules?

May 20, 2015, 2:49 PM

You are kidding aren't you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

im serious. . was the rule put in to generate more

May 20, 2015, 2:50 PM

Hits?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: im serious. . was the rule put in to generate more

May 20, 2015, 2:56 PM

wha wha what.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More hits?

May 20, 2015, 2:57 PM [ in reply to im serious. . was the rule put in to generate more ]

No the batter is called out. The rule is only in effect when there is a force out situation (bases loaded, first and second, etc.) and less than 2 outs.

When this wasn't an automatic out, the third baseman, lets say, has a can of corn pop up hit to him a foot from the bag with runners on first and second... the runners have to hold, because they assume he will catch it. Instead he intentionally muffs the catch and turns a double (or triple) play.

That's why it was put in place, to keep the game more honest so to speak. Not for more hits.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

so it is a ethics thing. fake catching a ball is bad but stealing

May 20, 2015, 3:10 PM

A base is oK.

I can some what sympathize with the "you are suppose to catch the ball" argument. In my oldest son's league there is a team that bunts alot because they know the players in that league have a tough time fielding the bunts and making the throws. I have found myself saying " you are suppose to hit the ball. . Stop all this bunting bs. "

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with "ethics"

May 20, 2015, 3:31 PM

If the IFR were not in place, it would be STUPID for the third baseman - in the case stated above - to actually catch the ball. It would be legal and ethical for him to intentionally let it hit the ground, and to then attempt (and often succeed) to turn the double play.

The IFR is in place to prevent the defense from having this big of an advantage on a simple pop-up. The rule makes the game more fair, it doesn't prevent "unethical" behavior.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. That is what I was trying to say.

May 20, 2015, 4:07 PM

You phrased it much better. When I said "keep it honest" I meant "unfair advantage". Not in an ethical way, just to keep the defense from cashing in on a simple pop up.

To the OP, there is just such a big difference between the game as it is played at the coaches pitch and Dixie Youth (little league) levels vs. the college and pro levels, but they have to use most of the same rules to try to prepare the kids if they are skilled enough to stick with it.

Like in your example, when the little guy dropped the pop fly unintentionally, it seemed like the batter was being penalized even though in that league he probably could have beaten the throw and been safe at first... but the rule is there for a good reason.

It has been my experience that in most sports people will push the rule book to the limit looking for an advantage; the infield fly rule is just a case where they stepped in and removed that advantage.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Re: so it is a ethics thing. fake catching a ball is bad but stealing

May 20, 2015, 4:26 PM [ in reply to so it is a ethics thing. fake catching a ball is bad but stealing ]

This has to be a troll attempt

null

Can't tell if sirius.... ???***

May 20, 2015, 2:50 PM

Re: Why Infield Fly rule?

May 20, 2015, 2:52 PM

You are supposed to catch pop-ups.... otherwise you need to be on USuc's equestrian team.

And to eliminate the DP. Runners have to be at First and/or Second with less than two outs to be in effect.

Seems fake ball dropping turning do would

May 20, 2015, 2:59 PM

Be more exciting to watch.

In the game I saw the 11 year old didn't make the catch but the ump ruled it in field out . I don't think he did it on purpose but it was an out never the less.

They don't have the rule in coaches pItch. I'm Still learning the game. At least my kids dint choose hockey or soccer. . Dang offside rules are harder to understand than laplace transformations.

Funny you should mention offsides in soccer

May 20, 2015, 4:15 PM

I was thinking it's very similar to the IFR in baseball. At first glance, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but when you understand the reason behind the rule it makes perfect sense. Offsides in soccer is to prevent a team from just leaving an offensive player camped out in front of the opponent's goal. Without the offsides rule, you'd just see teams clearing the ball back and forth from one end of the field to another, without trying to pass or work the the ball around in order to mount an attack. Like the IFR, it makes the game more "fair" (but not more "ethical"!).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without the offsides rule the game would grind to a halt

May 20, 2015, 5:47 PM

The offense would have players deep, so the defense would have to do the same. It would basically mean 4 players from both teams would typically be camped on each side. That would lead to midfielders also playing deep and evenly spaced for the most part. At that point the game basically becomes a chess match where neither team moves for fear of leaving open an attacking option. Both teams would bunker and the game grind to a halt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems fake ball dropping turning do would

May 20, 2015, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Seems fake ball dropping turning do would ]

Offside is very easy to understand if you have a brain...

Judging by your posts in this thread I see where that might be a problem.

null

May 20, 2015, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Infield Fly rule? ]

Runners have to be on first and second or first,second, and third with less than two outs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2015, 4:01 PM

Thank you for clarifying. With a runner on first you only get a DP if the hitter stops running.

null

May 20, 2015, 2:56 PM

You are supposed to catch pop-ups.... otherwise you need to be on USuc's equestrian team catching the "poop-outs...".

And to eliminate the DP. Runners have to be at First and/or Second with less than two outs to be in effect.

edited by 71PR

May 20, 2015, 3:12 PM

The infield fly rule is only called when there are runners on first AND second or the bases are loaded. NOT when there is only a runner on first. There is nothing to prevent the batter from running on a pop fly therefore it is NOT called vith first occupied. It has been a rule for many,many years. I played my first game of organized ball in the late 40's and it was a rule then!

Re: Why in field fly rules?

May 20, 2015, 3:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infield_fly_rule

reading that. . Seems the justification was that dropping balls

May 20, 2015, 3:29 PM

Was considered unfair to the base runners. Gives the defense an unfair advantage.

Re: reading that. . Seems the justification was that dropping balls

May 20, 2015, 3:39 PM

I look at the situation completely different than you do. Remember, only the batter is called out and there is no force out available. The runners may advance at their own risk. It is a fair rule for each team.

Re: reading that. . Seems the justification was that dropping balls

May 20, 2015, 4:05 PM

I disagree. I understand the intention of the rule and even agree that it needs to be in place but I think they should make a rule that if the infielder drops the ball when it is called all runners advance automatically. It rules out all senarios except the actual accidental dropping by an infielder. If you can't make that catch you should be penalized.

null

A the start of a baseball game, if you win the coin flip....

May 20, 2015, 3:57 PM

can you choose to bat first?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skip Carey

May 20, 2015, 4:04 PM

...would NOT be happy with this topic. He would just about lose it every time a fan would ask for an explanation of the infield fly rule! Miss, ol' Skip! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic