Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Judge is Reasonable
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

The Judge is Reasonable

Feb 10, 2020, 7:47 AM

He is one of the few on this board that actually follows Clemson basketball and is living in the real world here. If Clemson fires BB this year it will be very unfair to him. Next years team is GOING to be much better NO MATTER WHO the Coach is ! That team will win with Brownell but if we replace Brownell the new Coach will win also and this board will sing his praises as being a great coach. The fact is if that happens it will have NOTHING to do with a new coach but everything to do with the new recruits plus the fact we have most of this roster back. You only look to the praise the new Women's coach got last year while maligning Brownell. What happened this year folks ?? It's all about Jimmy's and Joe's not x's and o's !! Give Coach Brownell one more year and if we are no better I will gladly say a change is needed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownie badges earned yesterday

Feb 10, 2020, 7:51 AM

Held Team Below Season Average badge
Lost to a Team that had Won 4 in a Row badge

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Judge is Reasonable

Feb 10, 2020, 7:54 AM

Tons of us follow Clemson basketball and have for years.

Will we make the NCAA Tournament?

Feb 10, 2020, 8:12 AM

Not "will we get close?" or "will we be a little better?". Because expecting anything less is, in and of itself, failure. I'm not saying we should or can expect to make it every year, but we should expect to make it most years. There should be disappointment any individual year we don't make it. String together 2, 3, 4 of those years and the seat should be getting progressively hotter. That is a very realistic, reasonable standard for Clemson basketball. Why do we expect so little? Why are we shaking in our boots at the thought of holding the guy in charge accountable?

So, if when you say "we are going to be much better next year", you mean we should make the NCAA Tournament, then good for you. We should expect that almost every year, and if we do, Brownell has a case. If, by "being much better", you mean marginal improvement, say a few more wins, that does not lead to the NCAA tourney, then you are just babbling nonsense and prolonging the agony.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Will we make the NCAA Tournament? Yes

Feb 10, 2020, 8:40 AM

if we win the ACC Tournament. Which we've never done of course but hey we'd never beaten UNC at CH either. We're definitely due

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm talking about next year, in response to the OP's

Feb 10, 2020, 8:46 AM

statement that we will be much better next year. Of course we won't make it this year, unless we win the ACC Tournament, which isn't likely.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Will we make the NCAA Tournament?

Feb 10, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Will we make the NCAA Tournament? ]

It seems for some people there will always be the thought of "When freshmen/sophomore Player X gets to be a senior they are suddenly going to be All-ACC" or "there's a 202X high schooler who is going to be a 5 star who said in an interview one time that he likes Brownell, and we can't do anything to damage that relationship!" They'll never look back and see that this has been going on for 10 years, and other teams are currently recruiting and developing players for future years better than we are also. This is not to say that Brownell won't ever put another team in the NCAA tournament, but his history shows that more often than not his teams aren't going to make it. It's time to give someone else a try. We really have very little to lose.

Feb 10, 2020, 9:50 AM

If he is so bad, how did we win the world games this summer? just askin.

Feb 10, 2020, 11:05 AM

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, but we were clearly playing some very bad teams in the world games.

Which is why the USA wins that tournament every time.

Feb 10, 2020, 12:18 PM

Or not...

"The gold medal was the first for Team USA in men's basketball in the World University Games since 2015 and the second since 2005."

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article232555242.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Which is why the USA wins that tournament every time.

Feb 10, 2020, 12:35 PM

So are you implying that Clemson played the exact same teams (and lineups) that won it in every other year since 2005 so they were playing really good teams? Or, are you saying that because some random USA college team didn't win it in previous years that have no bearing whatsoever on this past summer this somehow proves that Clemson was playing great competition?

Feb 10, 2020, 8:49 AM

Not sure if my sarcasm meter is broken, but I'm old school and look more at the "business" side of this type of thing. Years ago I was asked by my director about a specific decision, and he replied "If the decision is difficult, what would you do if you were spending YOUR money?". In business, I've never had another difficult decision after following that idea.

So I have to ask anyone supporting CBB, "What would you do if it were YOUR money?". Good luck with your soul search. :)

Another year? LOLOLOL - that's rich.

Feb 10, 2020, 8:51 AM

*should be "Years ago I asked my director" - :)

I appreciate you viewing it from a business perspective.

Feb 10, 2020, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The Judge is Reasonable ]

I do too, which is why I think he should have until the end of next season before seriously considering firing him.

You can't ask an employee to do his job if you don't provide him with what he needs. If he says he needs X and Y to do his job better, and it's a reasonable request, you should provide it. Brad spent years asking for new facilities and a higher budget to assemble his staff. He just got those things in place a couple of years ago.

I feel that he should be held to a higher standard now that he has these things in place (things which most of us can agree he needs to do his job of recruiting, developing players, etc.). I am encouraged by what we've seen in the couple of years since (NCAA Sweet 16, two 20-win seasons in a row, etc.).

This year was a step back. A young team with a lot of new faces likely meant a rebuilding year for us. That, plus significant injuries, has resulted in a year we can all agree has been frustrating. However, I have hope for next year with who we have coming back and who we have coming in.

You and I both know that it's expensive to fire an employee and replace him. Obviously, if the employee isn't working out, then it's worth that expense. But to fire Brad, pay his buyout, and then hire someone else and pay their buyout, that is not an insignificant amount. Plus, assuming we hire someone who has already seen significant success elsewhere, we will surely be paying him more per year than we are currently paying Brad. In addition to the monetary costs involved, there will surely be a missed recruiting cycle, and possibly also some growing pains as the new coach implements his new system.

Again, if the current coach isn't doing a satisfactory job given the circumstances, then he should be fired. I just don't feel that we've given Brad quite enough time to benefit from the aforementioned improvements to fire him now.

My argument here is purely based on basketball-related items, and not the other aspects of his tenure such as player conduct, team GPA, graduation rates, etc. These are certainly items in his favor, but are secondary to evaluating the job he does in terms of basketball success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

My favorite Judge..........

Feb 10, 2020, 9:37 AM
Judge.jpg(59.3 K)

Lots of uses out in the woods............

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who will be the 2-3 consistent scorers next year

Feb 10, 2020, 9:47 AM

who will make us "much" better?

Re: Who will be the 2-3 consistent scorers next year

Feb 10, 2020, 10:00 AM

Nick Honor, chase hunter, Amir Simms, Alex Hemenway, p.j. Hall, Jonathan Baehr. And there’s another top recruit we are getting can’t remember his name. Plus Newman and Trapp coming back. So yeah if we stay healthy, I say we can have a great season . Last year was the major disappointment. We had Simms , Reed, Mitchell, and Eli and we sucked. If brad was gonna get canned, last season was the reason

Feb 10, 2020, 11:30 AM

Last year was the biggest disappointment in my eyes, coming off a sweet 16 year and lost one starter and that’s what we get?! I think it was then giving him a year in the new digs but he should be gone

Feb 10, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Who will be the 2-3 consistent scorers next year ]

Don't we have Khavon Moore again next year?

We didn't suck last year.

Feb 10, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Who will be the 2-3 consistent scorers next year ]

We won 20 games and went .500 in the ACC. Yes, it was disappointing in that we hoped to make the NCAA Tournament, but we didn't suck.

You did not list one proven, consistent scorer

Feb 10, 2020, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Who will be the 2-3 consistent scorers next year ]

so we're just hoping 2-3 unproven guys will emerge as guys we can count on to put the ball in the basket.

In other words, you make my point

This is not a "hot seat" year for Brownell in terms of

Feb 10, 2020, 12:53 PM

contract status, AD, etc. Everyone knew we would be young and a bit disjointed and expectations were minimal (I know - expectations are always minimal when it comes to b-ball, but still). 5 ACC wins is greater than many actually predicted before we even took the court last fall. The fact that we do have the talent to actually win competitive games, and don't, is inconsequential.

Next year, however, is a "hot seat" year as the train of excuses will be pulling into the station for a rest with the growth of the roster and experience. The only caveat for next season expectations may be if Simms somehow opts to leave early and then it's a KJ 2-year pass to disappointment all over again.

Judging from Brownell's entire tenure here, his teams tend to perform better when he is under enormous "get 'er done" contract pressure, as the 20-21 season setting will provide. Not so this 19-20 season. So expect a decent turnout next year and the inevitable contract extension to follow with enhanced buyout, ensuring us another 2-3 years of disappointment as the heat falls off again.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic