Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who will be our #1 WR this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Who will be our #1 WR this year?

Aug 21, 2019, 9:53 AM

A lot of talking heads seem to think it will be Justyn, but I still love Higgin's indefensible post route and end zone slants. He's simply a terrific TD threat. What do y'all think? Obviously not that important, but it's fun to think about the carnage our WRs are gonna wreak this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Higgins***

Aug 21, 2019, 9:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Ross by a hair. He and TL seem so close.***

Aug 21, 2019, 6:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who will be our #1 WR this year?

Aug 21, 2019, 10:04 AM

I don't really think our offense has a #1 WR! It seems like last year we had several receivers with around the same number of catches. Other teams tend to have 1 guy with all of the catches, but we tend to spread it around pretty good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 10:23 AM

I think last year teams planned to stop Higgins. Since there will be less of that this year, I would expect Higgins to have the best numbers.

Note that for the last two years, we had about 400 pass attempts for the season. During Deshaun's last year, we threw 600 times! So I would expect more catches for everyone!

Aug 21, 2019, 10:46 AM

Margin of victory will determine where the team falls between that 400 and 600 number.

I could see a scenario where Higgins does something similar to Nuk his junior year when people started to gameplan for Sammy. It a very similar situation with two returning headliners, with one getting all of the hype, and then some other talented guys mixing in around them.

Nuk in 2012 - Best single season by a WR in Clemson history

Aug 21, 2019, 4:51 PM

HAS to be. 1,400 yards, 18 TDs, 17 ypc and he freaking bullied and Mossed defenders all season. Furman was the only team he didn't score on, 26-310-3 in the two season bookend games against Auburn and LSU.

Aug 21, 2019, 10:53 AM

Ross.

During the season last year after he started to get major snaps, there were times I thought to myself Ross is going to be better than Higgins. Then Higgins would do something crazy and I shook myself back to reality.

THEN, against ND and Alabama, Ross went next level and it became obvious. My eyes (and brain) didn't fail me earlier. Ross is a better, even more dominant version of Higgins.

This year, Ross is the clear #1 alpha. Defenses will make him their first priority. To do otherwise would be insane.

The "competition" from Ross will probably make Higgins go next level. Whoever plays the slot will have a lot of opportunities because defenses will have no choice but to focus on the outside.

It's gonna be fun.

Aug 21, 2019, 4:53 PM

Reviewing the game logs, I wasn't quite aware of just how much Ross out-shined Higgins in the playoffs. That could very well be the case.

Hot take: Ngata***

Aug 21, 2019, 5:01 PM

Re: Hot take: Ngata***

Aug 21, 2019, 6:14 PM

Depends on which poison the defense choses to die by. All of them will beat coverages on any given play so it’s a hard bet to make. If I HAD to bet, I will go with Ross just based on his super hero game efforts in the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hot take: Ngata***

Aug 21, 2019, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Hot take: Ngata*** ]

Depends on which poison the defense choses to die by. All of them will beat coverages on any given play so it’s a hard bet to make. If I HAD to bet, I will go with Ross just based on his super hero game efforts in the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know who will be number 1, but,

Aug 21, 2019, 5:12 PM

after all the Ross hype, I expect Mr. Higgins will play with a chip on his shoulder. I also saw that he gained weight, as he promised his mom he would. Look out!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Higgrosserton***

Aug 21, 2019, 5:21 PM

Aug 21, 2019, 5:51 PM

IMO the is still a more polished WR but he will likely draw the top defender allowing Ross to get more yards.

Hard to tell because I bet most DCs really cant make up their mind on how they want to defend us this year.

that’s easy

Aug 21, 2019, 6:17 PM

1a Tee Higgins
1b Justyn Ross

Justyn switched positions so they can be on opposite sides of the field this year. Should be an explosive combo.

I think it will be Ross but I love Higgins!***

Aug 21, 2019, 6:18 PM

Tee Higgins

Aug 21, 2019, 6:25 PM

Easy!
JR8 is getting all the attention. But, to me the most dangerous WR we have is Tee. He has that dawg about him when the football is in the air that "it's my ball gimme dat"! Ross is more athletic; but Higgins has the size and that "dawg" in him more.

Could be Overton or one of the TE's as I expect we will see lots of two high safeties!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 6:39 PM

Ross had 46 receptions for 1, 000 yards 9 TDs
Higgins had 59 receptions for 959 yards 12 TDs

I think defenses were so concentrated on Higgins that anyone with some game on the other side was going to be dangerous. Ross didn't come on until late when we were throwing it "vertically"! All of that contributed to 5 having lower numbers.
Remember we had come into the season with huge question marks at WR! Tee had not been a full time starter. We still had Renfrow; but that was it. I remember the talk was - stop Higgins and you will cripple their offense unless you let Renfrow get off. Our TE play hasn't been Jordan Leggett good for a couple seasons. So, most game plans was double their #1 WR.

If everyone goes off the hype and doubles Justyn I expect Tee will destroy defenses who try and cover him one on one.

Honestly, it's a conundrum for DC's! How do you defend against 3 WR's that are 6'3 or better with great speed? And a QB that can make throws some NFL QB can't make? And an OL that is hardened by fire in the trenches? And, BTW, a Heisman Candidate at RB! It's a problem for them. The trick will be getting these guys to play up to their level. To not allow them to beat themselves by not being their A game selves!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic