Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers?

Jun 17, 2019, 3:53 PM

Dwight Clark would be the best at the professional level, but he wasn't the best at Clemson. Edit: thought he was a TE

Bennie Cunningham was well before my time. His accolades are beyond impressive, but I'm asking the experienced members of the board, was he better than Dwayne Allen and/or Jordan Leggett?

Message was edited by: tigerfanatic12

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dwight Clark was a WR.***

Jun 17, 2019, 3:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mistake about Dwight Clark. I thought he was a TE. Another one before my time***

Jun 17, 2019, 4:00 PM

No worries, Clemson's had some good TEs, including Palmer

Jun 17, 2019, 4:05 PM

Ford & Leggett - starting with Palmer, pre-Allen, a really nice run of All-ACC performers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers?

Jun 17, 2019, 3:57 PM

Dwight Clark was a QB turned wide receiver. He did not play tight end. Cunningham in my opinion is the best I ever saw going back to 1958.

Jun 17, 2019, 4:56 PM

Just imagine our current team if we had a Bennie Cunningham type TE? Lawrence would have so many options and our opponents would not have enough men or talent to cover our receivers.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 4:02 PM

Bennie Cunnigham gets my vote. He was big, had good speed and could catch about anything.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 4:04 PM

Bennie accomplished all that on some lousy Clemson teams. Also excellent for the dynasty Steeler teams of the '70s.

Jun 17, 2019, 4:06 PM

I think it has to be Benny Cunningham and really not even close...... Benny was as athletic as anybody you will see today. He was an outstanding football and basketball player in high school...... at the college level he was a nightmare of a matchup with his size, speed and hands.

Leggett was outstanding, but he was really a WR. Not

Jun 17, 2019, 4:17 PM

much in the blocking dept. Cunningham gets my vote. He did everything exceptionally well, and he was a giant off the field, both during his playing days and after. Dwayne Allen was terrific, though.

Jun 17, 2019, 4:19 PM

Besides being a prototype TE, Benny was a big time national high school recruit.

didn't he

Jun 18, 2019, 6:07 PM

go to laurens or Seneca high? so your tellin me he was a guy that even in the 70's all coaches knew about him across the country? Like a Roscoe Crosby in the 70's as far as wanting to land this type of talent.

Jun 17, 2019, 4:28 PM

So if Bennie was before your time you just discount the ALL Americana and solid pro on great teams? Dwight was big but he was a wr not a tight end. Do some Bennie homework

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously?! That's why I ended it with a question mark. I don't know

Jun 17, 2019, 4:45 PM

Never saw him in college or the pros. That's why I asked the question.

Re: Seriously?! That's why I ended it with a question mark. I don't know

Jun 17, 2019, 5:04 PM

well look him up. it will be worth while. In that O he was asked to do more blocking and less catching that a TE now but then he got it he drug db's for many yards after catch. Quick slant to te was unreal with him. Used to feel sorry for db's having to tackle him. his hs teammate was on the same team as OT. Bennie was as big or bigger than him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJMeu97k5M

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 4:52 PM

1 Bennie Cunningham
2 Dwayne Allen
3 Jordan Leggette
4 Michael Palmer

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jun 17, 2019, 5:00 PM

john mcmakin has to be on that list.. perhaps as high as #2.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim Riggs was a really good one ...***

Jun 17, 2019, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers? ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers? ]

Good list!

I think I would go:

1. Bennie Cunningham
2. Dwayne Allen
3. Jordan Leggette
4. Jim Riggs
5. Michael Palmer
6. John McMakin
7. Bob Poole (Joe 21 will know who he is. Played when we only threw the ball about once every other game!)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bob Poole a name from long ago

Jun 17, 2019, 5:31 PM

Unless he was in your class. Watched him make some great catches in practice. As you said we only threw the ball about twice a game back then so not much in the way of statistics to compare with.

Danny had some very good TE's, we just never

Jun 17, 2019, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers? ]

really threw to them much. Riggs and K.D. Dunn both played a while in the NFL

Re: Danny had some very good TE's, we just never

Jun 18, 2019, 6:48 AM

Dunn started over Riggs while they were both on the roster (Dunn was one year ahead of Riggs).

Palmer, Allen, and Leggett were targeted a lot more than most other TE's. All of them had single years in which they had as many or more receptions than either Dunn or Riggs had in their entire careers. But as you note, that's due to DF's offense, not their (Dunn's and Riggs') ability as receivers.

Danny also had

Jun 18, 2019, 10:24 PM

Bubba Diggs, James Coley, Stacy Fields. All really good players. I think Coley played in the NFL as well. In that offense though, they were a third tackle most of the time.

Jun 17, 2019, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers? ]

I'd throw in Jim Riggs in the top 5 for sure. Cunningham was the best I've seen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers? ]

5. Keith Jennings
6. John McMakin
7. Anthony King for versatility also played tackle, LB (listed) (and guard iirc)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2019, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Who is the best TE to play for the Tigers? ]

Keith Jennings was better than Palmer. Maybe even better than D Allen. Definitely a better blocker than Leggett. I think I’d put him at #2 behind Cunningham

Jun 17, 2019, 5:02 PM

Christian Wilkins....if only Dabo had given him the chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

heres my list

Jun 17, 2019, 5:43 PM

5.Dwight Clark
4.Bubba Diggs
3.Dwayne Allen
2.Jim Riggs
1.Bennie Cunningham

*Also I think Ben Hall would've been the best talent of them all physically.

Re: heres my list

Jun 19, 2019, 1:02 AM

+1 for the Ben Hall. I’d forgotten about him because of the total waste of talent Bowden & Co. made of him.

Jun 17, 2019, 5:44 PM

1. Cunningham
2. Allen
3. Jennings
4. Leggett

TE is a multifaceted position , so a preference is based on strengths and weaknesses and should vary greatly based on the respondent's age , memory and knowledge of the position .

My 4 is exactly right though and needs no adjustments .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

+1 for Keith Jennings reference***

Jun 17, 2019, 6:00 PM

I wasn't around for Cunningham but i think Allen > Leggett***

Jun 17, 2019, 5:53 PM

Bennie Cunningham gets my vote. ***

Jun 17, 2019, 5:55 PM

Re: Bennie Cunningham gets my vote. ***

Jun 17, 2019, 6:13 PM

Once Bennie got the ball I would laugh at all the opposing players jumping on him trying to tackle him. He was a man....

Dwayne Allen

Jun 17, 2019, 5:56 PM

That said, I wasn't old enough to see Cunningham

Big fan of Michael Palmer & the Sr version of Leggett

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

big Bennie's the best not even close***

Jun 17, 2019, 8:18 PM

Surprised Only A Little Mention of

Jun 17, 2019, 8:28 PM

John McMakin.

I would rank him third behind Bennie Cunningham and Dwayne Allen.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dwayne Allen gets my vote.***

Jun 17, 2019, 9:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jim Riggs - that dude could set the edge like nobody's biz

Jun 17, 2019, 9:34 PM

He HAD to be a beast for Rodney & Terry & Tracy & all those backs to chew up real estate like they did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I think Bennie Cunningham was the best TE ever to play

Jun 17, 2019, 10:31 PM

at Clemson. He was a beast; a big TE for his time who had great hands and could run. Rarely did one guy bring him down, and he flat ran over and/or drug a lot of would-be tacklers. He was basically a 6-5, 250 lb WR who blocked like a tackle. Dwayne Allen was probably the second best, and Jordan Leggett is right there. Going back even before Bennie Cunningham, a guy named John McMakin was a great one. Went in the 3rd round to the Steelers and played on their first Super Bowl team. I'd round out my top 5 with Michael Palmer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 17, 2019, 10:40 PM

I really liked Michael Palmer the best. He was a trooper. The hit he took at Miami in 09 was scary. Idk if there’s video anywhere on it but it’s a hit you don’t want to watch more than once

Jun 17, 2019, 10:42 PM

CUNNINGHAM!

Jun 17, 2019, 10:52 PM

Everyone put together a great list and as most would agree BC was the best but can’t believe in anyone in this thread didn’t mention

Lamont Hall. He played during the forgotten years when west didn’t use a TE. He could have broken a lot of records but was never utilized correctly... and he darn sure didn’t have anyone to teach him technique but man he could pancake with the best.

Would love to see what Dabo could do with him!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 10:54 PM

That and I respect him for being a HS teacher nowadays... I guess he’s still teaching.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bennie Cunningham. By far. He dragged people 5 or 10 yards

Jun 17, 2019, 10:54 PM

after the catch. A man among boys. He was fun to watch. And he was the primary offensive threat during his years at Clemson.

DUH! Bennie!!! Any other 2 time 1st All-Americans

Jun 17, 2019, 11:05 PM

ever play TE at Clemson? Didn't think so.

No contest. Bennie Cunningham.
I feel honored to have been a student during his last two years at Clemson.

He is the main reason Clemson went 7-4 in 74

Jun 17, 2019, 11:07 PM

winning all 7 home games.
Leading to rule that Bowls had to wait longer to select their teams -- after Clemson got snubbed.

Re: DUH! Bennie!!! Any other 2 time 1st All-Americans

Jun 19, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to DUH! Bennie!!! Any other 2 time 1st All-Americans ]

so was I

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2019, 11:58 PM

I’m an old fart. Bennie Cunningham gets my vote

Jun 18, 2019, 12:24 AM

Lamont hall was pretty darn good. He also had a pretty solid nfl career to boot.

I'd say Dwayne Allen. The dude caught about everything Tajh

Jun 18, 2019, 8:33 AM

threw within reasonable catching distance. He saved Tajh's and Clemson's butt on a lot of 3rd and long plays, and he's still playing pro ball.

Jun 18, 2019, 8:34 AM

Bennie Cunningham, Jim Riggs, Michael Palmer & Jordan Leggett get my votes.

Screw Calford.

Jun 18, 2019, 9:21 AM

1). Bennie Cunningham 2) John McMakin

Ben Cunningham is first followed by Allen and Leggett(nm)

Jun 18, 2019, 9:17 AM

nm

It is hard to compare players from different eras.

Jun 18, 2019, 3:22 PM

Bennie Cunningham was a great player at Clemson and a superb pro. His size, speed and hands made him a great TE. So despite it being a hard comparison, I think Cunningham was the best TE Clemson ever had.

In modern era, I think Dwayne Allen was the best overall TE. Having said that, Leggett was a pass catching machine. His amazing turning, twisting reaching catch against Bama on the drive to beat Bama in the 2016 Natty game was easily the most spectacular catch I've ever seen a TE make.

I'm not sure of the value of such comparisons. I don't think we've ever had a more impactful QB than Steve Fuller. On his best day, Homer Jordan could and did beat the best teams in the nation.
I wish I could have seen Woody Dantzler play in the offense we run today. 6 would have won the Heisman. Clipboard Jesus was the prototypical pro QB wearing a Tiger Uniform. Watson is the GOAT.
But 16 could be better.

It is just too difficult for me to try to compare guys from the 70s to guys from the 2000s at any position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is hard to compare players from different eras.

Jun 18, 2019, 6:32 PM

I would give Bennie Cunningham the vote as others did. I met him when he was a pro at a QB/wide receiver camp at Furman when I was in high school. Other notables there were Jerry Butler, Perry Tuttle, and David Whitehurst (charlie’s Dad). We have had many good one’s but he was the full package and had a great pro career as well.

Jun 18, 2019, 6:48 PM

There have been some really good ones but Cunningham was the best by far in my opinion. Fans who never saw him wouldn't believe just how dominant he was at blocking on run plays. He had great hands, ran great routes, and was incredibly hard to tackle.

No one is close to Bennie - GOAT***

Jun 19, 2019, 11:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No one is close to Bennie - GOAT***

Jun 19, 2019, 11:13 AM

I still remember one game where he carried 4-5 guys about 10 yards

A MONSTER

MAN AMONG BOYS - too bad he died young

Jun 19, 2019, 11:31 AM

"Cun" (Cunninghan) Do Doubt.

Jun 19, 2019, 12:26 PM

Wikipedia lists him at 6-6 254 lbs! That is big by today’s standards but a man amongst boys back then. I remember being blown away by how thick he was too. Guy was a specimen. On top of that one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic