Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who "controls their own destiny" for the playoff?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 832

Who "controls their own destiny" for the playoff?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:14 AM

In other words, who is in the playoff by winning out, no matter what any other team does?

Obviously, the three current power 5 undefeated teams: Mississippi St., Ole Miss, and FSU.

Looking at the SEC, I would say Georgia is in if they win out, including the SECCG.

Auburn and Alabama are interesting...if one of them wins out, they still don't get in the SECCG if one of the Mississippi schools runs the table. You could then have one of them up against a 1-loss Oregon, Big 12 champ, or Big Ten champ.

Because I think credit will be given for the conference championship, I think Oregon is the last team that "controls their own destiny," not Alabama or Auburn. If Oregon wins out, they are in over a 1-loss SEC team that doesn't win the SEC (be it Bama, Auburn, or a Miss school).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who "controls their own destiny" for the playoff?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 AM

Kstate
UGA
AU
Bama
Miss
Miss St.
Mich. St.
FSU
Oregon

i think all of these have legit arguments if they win out

I don't think you can keep Kstate out if they win out.... with their only loss being to AU.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

All of those can't "control their own destiny"...

Oct 21, 2014, 10:24 AM

They might have arguments, but the question I was proposing was more of a question of who is definitely in if they win out.

i know... but they're not gonna all win out....

Oct 21, 2014, 10:27 AM

i think KSU is in if they win out... no way you keep them out

SEC champ is in if it's one loss UGA, or one loss/undefeated west team

FSU is in if they win out

I think those 3 (SEC could be one of 5 teams) are locks if they win out...

after that, it gets interesting

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Oct 21, 2014, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Who "controls their own destiny" for the playoff? ]

Heck - if Marshall goes undefeated I think they should be considered at least. We've already determined that 4 teams won't work. But if they ever move to 8 or 16, I'd hope a team like Marshall (if undefeated) would get a shot to play for it all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is actually an interesting question.....

Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 AM

and if your scenario plays out, we'll find out whether or not the playoff committee was influenced by the ESPiN propaganda machine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And I don't think Kansas St. is in the same boat as Oregon..

Oct 21, 2014, 10:25 AM

Can you imagine the last playoff spot coming down to a Big 12 champion, 1-loss K-State or a 1-loss Auburn? You gotta go with Auburn, right? Beat them head to head, at their place.

If Auburn only has 1 loss, then they will be SEC champs

Oct 21, 2014, 10:27 AM

and already in. No decision to make. If they drop another one, easier to take K-State. No issue here.

Not if a Mississippi goes undefeated.***

Oct 21, 2014, 10:29 AM

tough deal for AU there... i don't think they put a team

Oct 21, 2014, 10:31 AM

didn't win their division in over a conference champ (both with one loss)...

committee already said conference championships were important

That would be a tough call....

Oct 21, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to And I don't think Kansas St. is in the same boat as Oregon.. ]

Auburn won the head-to-head even though K-State probably should have won the game (similar to the Clemson/FSU game).

At this point though, I'm not so sure either Auburn or K-State wins out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:37 AM

FSU
Miss. State
Ole Miss
Georgia
Oregon
Arizona State
Arizona
Utah
TCU
Baylor
Kansas State
Notre Dame

I think the first tiebreaker between teams with an equal number of losses is the conference championship. I think the Big 10 is the weakest of the Power 5 this year, so they will need another conference to fall. But, in my opinion, all of the 1-loss teams in the Big 12 and PAC 12 still control their own destiny. I doubt any of them finish with just 1-loss though.

I debated about whether or not ND should be on the list. I don't think there's any way a 1-loss ND doesn't make it (with the only loss being a 4-point loss @ FSU), but if FSU somehow falls off a cliff then maybe it gets dicey.

Should also clarify it's nearly guaranteed that if

Oct 21, 2014, 10:40 AM

Auburn or Alabama win out, they'd go to the playoff....but technically they aren't in control of their own destiny.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:38 AM

Nobody has mentioned ECU or Marshall. I dont think either has a shot but should be interesting to see how the playoff committee judges these guys. Marshall is currently undefeated and ECU lone loss is at South Carolina which is probably enough to keep them out.

FSU Obviously has to win out even with a one loss they probably get booted.
TCU comes to mind.
Bama wins out they are in.
I could see a UGA sneak in there.
winner of ole miss/miss st.
so many senarios could happen so these are definitely not set in stone. Cant wait till they unveil the new CFP rankings. I think Clemson could be in top 10 if we win out, should be interesting seeing there will be some 2 loss teams could sneak into the playoffs.

Errybody

Oct 21, 2014, 10:59 AM

I see complete carnage to close out the season and a bunch of 1 and 2 loss teams in serious consideration. I only see FSU winning out and maybe Michigan St. Outside of that, i see just about every 1 loss team losing again and the Miss schools losing at least 1 maybe 2. Going to be crazy and the committee is going to have their hands full.

Replies: 14
| visibility 832
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic