Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
'Who Appointed You to the Supreme Court?'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

'Who Appointed You to the Supreme Court?'

May 8, 2017, 6:34 PM

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/08/sally-yates-fired-trump-travel-ban-muslims-john-kennedy-russia-probe-michael-flynn

Senator John Kennedy (R-Louisiana) asked former acting Attorney General Sally Yates why she refused to defend Trump's initial executive order barring travel from several Mideast nations.

"I believed any argument [the Justice Department] would have to make in its defense would not be grounded in the truth," Yates said.

"We would have to argue that it had nothing to do with religion," she said.

Kennedy asked whether there was no reasonable argument that could be made to defend the order any other way.

Yates said she believed the intent of the order was to discriminate against Muslims trying to come to the United States.

She added that if it were an act of Congress, she would still have refused to defend it, pointing to the Obama Justice Department refusing to defend the Defense of Marriage Act.

Kennedy asked Yates to tell him at which level of government an act becomes unconstitutional.

Yates repeated that she could not send lawyers to defend a lawsuit that would be brought against Trump without admitting the order's intent was discrimination.

"Who appointed you to the United States Supreme Court?" Kennedy asked.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That statement would be a lot more powerful if the

May 8, 2017, 6:50 PM

courts went in a different deflection direction.

Also, do you feel like a Fox News "Insider" after reading

May 8, 2017, 6:52 PM

that? I know I do.

Re: 'Who Appointed You to the Supreme Court?'

May 8, 2017, 7:38 PM

I watched that exchange and FoxNews is doing it's typical partisan hit job. The exchange was very respectful and Yates easily got the best of Kennedy. She insisted that should would not make arguments before any court that were not based on the truth.

2 separate appeals courts have agreed with Yates that it was based on Religious discrimination.

Keep living in a silo what you'll continue to hear precisely what you want to hear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a stupid response.

May 8, 2017, 7:38 PM

She said she couldn't defend the action without being dishonest. She should be commended and receive some sort of Anti-Kellyann Prize.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Like you aren't allowed to think if you aren't in the

May 9, 2017, 12:13 PM

Supreme Court.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 'Who Appointed You to the Supreme Court?'

May 8, 2017, 7:54 PM

In typical Fox 'spin' fashion, FoxNews omitted her response to his question. It was a response grounded in honesty and character:

"Of course I was not on the Supreme court, and I can tell you Senator we really wrestled with this decision, I wrestled with this decision. It was not one that I took lightly at all. But it was because that I took my responsibility seriously as acting Attorney Gen'l.

I believe that it is the responsibility of the attorney general that if the president asks him or her to do something that he or she believe is unlawful or unconstitutional to say no."

FoxNews is shameless in it's bias. They are a propaganda outlet with very little regard for truth or facts.

She is spinning. Of course the ban was not directed at

May 8, 2017, 8:34 PM

Muslims. That is liberal spin. The 6 countries are Syria, Libya, Iran, Somalia, Yemen, and Sudan.
Terrorist infested countries that cannot properly vet people applying for visas. If it was directed against Muslims, where is Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim majority nation? How about the United Arab Emirates? Saudi Arabia? Egypt? Yates invoked "honesty", but she based it on a lie. More accurately, it was liberal disinformation.

$1 to Felix.

May 8, 2017, 8:37 PM

As 2 Appellate courts weigh the Trump Travel ban, Trump lawyers argue that it's purpose is not religious discrimination or a ban on Muslims.

After a reporter asked Sean Spicer at the daily briefing, "if it's not about a Muslim ban why is "a Ban on Muslims" still posted on Trump's campaign site?

Trump took down the statement on "Banning Muslims from immigrating to the U.S." within an hour after the press conference.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332404-trump-call-for-muslim-ban-deleted-from-campaign-site-after-reporters

And that proves what? A web techie screwed up? I'm shocked***

May 8, 2017, 8:38 PM

You and CT88's audition to replace Kellyanne Conway

May 8, 2017, 8:40 PM

is gonna be a tough decision.

Btw, what is a "web techie"?

And the personal attacks begin.***

May 7, 2023, 11:26 AM

Not really a personal attack. She's got gumption.

May 8, 2017, 8:46 PM

Let's play a hypothetical.

Say Hillary won the election.

Put the gun down, this is just a hypothetical.

Say she campaigned on promises to ban all conservatives from entering the country, until we can figure out how Trump secured a nomination.

Then say she signs an executive order banning immigrants from 6 or 7 mostly conservative countries. And implied at a Planned Parenthood rally that those wearing pussay hats would be given priority cause they're persecuted.

Now she didn't ban all conservatives, but wouldn't you be pitching a fit?

Your example equates conservatives with terrorists? C'mon.***

May 8, 2017, 9:41 PM

Wait, are we only banning terrorists?***

May 8, 2017, 9:42 PM

All black People are terrorists. Don't ya know?***

May 8, 2017, 10:32 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Wait, are we only banning terrorists?***

May 9, 2017, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Wait, are we only banning terrorists?*** ]

CDef

Re: Your example equates conservatives with terrorists? C'mon.***

May 9, 2017, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Your example equates conservatives with terrorists? C'mon.*** ]

I am starting to believe you are a russian troll, and not a very good one. Nobody can be this incredibly dense, so consistently and so often.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At the very least, it proves

May 9, 2017, 10:30 AM [ in reply to And that proves what? A web techie screwed up? I'm shocked*** ]

that it wasn't liberal spin, as you say. The administration itself referred to it as a "muslim ban."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And that proves what? A web techie screwed up? I'm shocked***

May 9, 2017, 1:11 PM [ in reply to And that proves what? A web techie screwed up? I'm shocked*** ]

A web techie may have screwed up by not taking it down 'in time'. But the techie's oversight doesn't in any way diminish the meaning of the statements that he didn't take down.

I get partisanship, but when it ignores even the most basic assessment of factual information then it stops being partisanship and simply becomes delusion fueled zealotry.

Re: And that proves what? A web techie screwed up? I'm shocked***

May 10, 2017, 1:57 PM [ in reply to And that proves what? A web techie screwed up? I'm shocked*** ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDffWUjcBA

Re: She is spinning. Of course the ban was not directed at

May 9, 2017, 1:06 PM [ in reply to She is spinning. Of course the ban was not directed at ]

As much as you try, you cannot ignore the truth. Up until YESTERDAY the Trump Campaign website explicitly called for a BAN on Muslim immigration.

Spin that.

It appears the error was pointed out and it was corrected.

May 9, 2017, 1:17 PM

Now, explain how banning immigration from 6 terrorist countries is a ban on Muslims. Spin on that!

Re: It appears the error was pointed out and it was corrected.

May 9, 2017, 1:49 PM

It wasn't an error. Trump ran on banning muslims. Moving forward, any executive order, must pass constitutional muster. It is unconstitutional to ban immigration based on religion.

The problems is the rhetoric and the promises Trump used before formulating the immigration ban. "I hereby call for a ban on ALL Muslim immigration for 6 months..."

That is unconstitutional on it's face, as the courts have agreed. The point is that you can't call for a Ban on All Anglican's from immigrating to the U.S....then issue a travel ban on individuals from the United Kingdom because of bad teeth. It's clear by your prior statements that you are banning Anglicans. You can't separate one from the other.

On it's face, banning immigrants from countries where vetting would be difficult isn't the issue. It's the revealed intent in which the EO was formulated. That is why the courts have rejected it.

Had Trump not overtly and repeatedly disparage that particular religion, then I believe the EO would be taken on it's face and there wouldn't be any controversy.

Trump ran on hate and discrimination, issues you seem comfortable with. But it's all coming back to bite him because American's are far more sophisticated and wise than Trump assumed.

As my grandma would say, Trump's big mouth has hastened the chickens to come home to roost.

Message was edited by: Felix2®

Show me where Trump ran on banning Muslims.***

May 9, 2017, 6:04 PM

Wow, that was easy

May 10, 2017, 1:09 AM

Probably photoshopped by some web techie though. They're the worst.

The NY Times? Really?***

May 10, 2017, 6:15 AM

Bro that's Trumps own campaign site.

May 10, 2017, 7:32 AM

Never go full ######.

Yeah, that has been discussed. Now show where Trump

May 10, 2017, 8:13 AM

ran on a platform of banning Muslims. Show where Trump made speeches to ban Muslims. Show where Trump told the American people that if he was elected, he would ban Muslims. Take your own advice, don't go ######.

K

May 10, 2017, 8:18 AM

https://youtu.be/viDffWUjcBA

Re: K

May 10, 2017, 8:38 AM

CDef

May 10, 2017, 11:56 AM [ in reply to K ]

CDiff

May 10, 2017, 1:23 PM

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2017/feb/03/donald-trumps-executive-order-muslim-ban/

While campaigning for president days after a terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., Donald Trump called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on."

The Jan. 27, 2017 order temporarily prohibits from entering the United States virtually all people traveling on passports from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

(On Feb. 3, 2017, a week after the order was issued, a federal judge in Seattle blocked the seven-nations ban with a restraining order.)

But they are also the only seven countries that were targeted by an anti-terrorism law, cited in the executive order, that was signed by President Barack Obama.

The order suspended for 120 days entry of all refugees -- those who want to resettle in the United States -- and barred refugees from Syria indefinitely.

Trump has responded to criticism by saying his policy "is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting. This is not about religion -- this is about terror and keeping our country safe."

According to the nonpartisan Pew Research Center, there are 49 majority-Muslim nations and the seven covered by the order have only about 12 percent of the world’s 1.6 billion Muslims.

The order does not specifically bar Muslims. It applies only to citizens of Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

Those seven countries have only 12 percent of the world’s Muslims and Muslims from other countries can still enter the United States.

It is clear Trump did not run a campaign on barring Muslims. That is nothing more than another liberal lie, targeting the liberal base. They do eat it up.

It's like you're immune to reason. You asked me point blank

May 10, 2017, 1:27 PM

to

Now show where Trump
ran on a platform of banning Muslims

Not from the New York Times. The positions a candidate lists on their website are all part of what's called a "Platform".

Then you moved the goalposts and said

Show where Trump made speeches to ban Muslims. Show where Trump told the American people that if he was elected, he would ban Muslims.

https://youtu.be/viDffWUjcBA

Dude.

It seems like you are hanging your hat on a web page,

May 10, 2017, 1:31 PM

that was removed when pointed out, and one sentence in one speech that resulted in nothing.

Other than an executive order that multiple courts have

May 10, 2017, 1:34 PM

suspended implementation due to it being somewhat of a Muslim ban.

If it resulted in nothing, has his EO cleared the courts yet and been implemented?

Are you clear now that Trump is only trying to temporarily

May 10, 2017, 1:51 PM

ban immigration from the 6 terrorist countries?

Wait, is violating the constitution cool if it's only

May 10, 2017, 1:57 PM

temporary?

The SC has not yet ruled. Didn't you know? Those are FDR's.***

May 10, 2017, 1:59 PM

Did you hear that Aaron Hernandez is innocent now?***

May 10, 2017, 2:34 PM

Why? You don't want some company?***

May 10, 2017, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Yeah, that has been discussed. Now show where Trump ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably took a hilltern all night to come up with that one

May 8, 2017, 8:44 PM

Then the whole office exchanged high fives and congratulated each other the old fashioned way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you see what Yates did with Cruz's questioning?

May 8, 2017, 8:46 PM

Beyond impressive. He ended up leaving right after...for some reason.

Re: Did you see what Yates did with Cruz's questioning?

May 9, 2017, 12:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZv2_vs0DME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsyRw-Flpw

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic