Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
White privilege is a myth.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

White privilege is a myth.....

Jul 25, 2020, 2:46 AM

Most everyone I have ever known grew up poor or middle class and had to work to get to where they are. That's the whole truth of the matter. We grew up working and continued that after we became Adults.
This is so true. Are you listening? Do you hear us? Do you see us? We are here! We have a story too! Sure let's talk about it. Do you really care?? I think NOT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it’s just better to avoid all these type of topics in this cancel

Jul 25, 2020, 3:28 AM

Culture world. Everyone at every point has struggled in some way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn’t matter. It’s capitalism they’re after.

Jul 25, 2020, 4:30 AM

Any system based on merit must be destroyed. It’s not fair to those that can’t, or won’t, compete.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

^^^^^Spot on***

Jul 25, 2020, 1:52 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: White privilege is a myth.....

Jul 25, 2020, 4:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4kUX8EpoYg&t=2s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 5:23 AM

White privilege does not mean white people have never struggled. Many white people do not enjoy the privileges that come with affluence. Many do not experience the privileges that come with access, such as nearby hospitals.

White privilege is not the assumption that everything a white person has accomplished is unearned; most white people who have reached a high level of success worked extremely hard to get there.

White privilege should be viewed as a built-in advantage only available because of the color of one's skin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 7:12 AM

Go ahead and explain the built in advantage.

Happy to provide an example

Jul 25, 2020, 12:30 PM

Have you ever applied for a job and worried about the color of your skin?

Do you think a black person ever applies for a job and doesn't?

Re: Happy to provide an example

Jul 25, 2020, 1:10 PM

Yes. I work in STEM field as a white man and don’t have as good of a chance of getting an interview as an equally or even less qualified woman or POC.

Re: Happy to provide an example

Jul 25, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Happy to provide an example ]

A black person has advantage of getting a job over a white person especially if it’s a black woman. Companies are always looking to hire a minority. A sharp professional black wins hands down. I know first hand.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: White privilege is a myth..... ]

Please provide examples. People simply believe this because it’s what the media says and other people but nobody ever provides facts. Not trying to argue or disagree but I simply don’t see white privilege in my every day life. We all hear about it, but nobody ever explains in detail what it refers to. It’s like the term systemic racism. People love to use that phrase but nobody ever gives actual examples or a story, they just like to throw out those words. I’m white, I’ve worked and paid for every single thing I have. And so has my great-grandparents, grandparents, parents and all my siblings, Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc. And that goes for EVERY. SINGLE. WHITE PERSON I know.

Jul 25, 2020, 11:46 AM

I have shared a specific story from a friend of mine below if you would like to read it. For more information, he is in his 40’s, is a leader at a college similar to Clemson, and he and his children still face some challenges due to race. Instead of focusing on your White friends/family and their experiences, I suggest talking with your African-American friends and co-workers. I am sure they can give you specific stories of their situation. If you want to know stories about the life of a Clemson student, you would generally ask a Clemson student. Same for this issue.

Examples

Jul 25, 2020, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: White privilege is a myth..... ]

Between 1910 and 1997 Black farmers lost 90% of the land they owned.
White farmers lost 2%

It took 387 days to process a black farmer's loan application.
It took 30 days to process a white farmer's loan application.

It's all been staring you in the face but somehow you can't see it.

Re: Examples

Jul 25, 2020, 12:48 PM

In some ways the Jim Crow Era was worse for Blacks than actual Slavery. False hope has to be a biatch.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Examples ]

The majority of that land was taken from black farmers in the 1950s. To stretch those dates to 1997 is just a little disingenuous of race relations in the modern US. Without a doubt white privilege was a thing in the days of Jim Crow and the policy lag afterwards, but to claim it exists now is simply not true.

There are countless stories of black success and black wealth in the modern US. The path to wealth is pretty predictable: Get an education, get a job, and diversely invest your money. It is attainable in a single generation.

When people keep bringing up white privilege, they paint it in the context of black Americans. Black Americans generally have the lowest barrier of entry to higher education with regards to grades and extra curricular activities, with the most financial assistance. I’d never claim it to be easy for anyone, but opportunity is more than there.

Jul 25, 2020, 2:44 PM

Today's anarchist don't want to make it they want to take it!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly, laws were encacted in the 70's to make loaning

Jul 25, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Examples ]

and race illegal

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how many farmers that applied for loans between

Jul 25, 2020, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Examples ]

1910 and 1997 are still alive?

Jul 25, 2020, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Examples ]

I’m talking about my every day life. As in currently. I’m not talking Jim Crow and 23 years ago plus. I’m talking now. All I’m saying is show me things now. And i figured somebody would use outdated examples. I promise I’m not trying to argue or start something. I just keep hearing the same phrases and wording without current actual examples. People use cops as an example. In the last couple weeks I’ve seen at least 3 or 4 videos where jerk face cops used their authority and yanked white people out of their vehicle and used unnecessary force just because they could. Nobody says anything about that. There’s miserable people out there that treat everybody bad. A jerk white person could be rude to 1000 other white people and nobody cares, but if they are rude to one black person they are racist. Nobody stops to think that maybe they are just a rude person, to everybody. Not everything is racist. My boss is a black guy, and the best boss I’ve ever had. He comes to work everyday and works hard and does a good job. It’s not about black and white with him, it’s about doing your job and being a good employee. He started from the bottom and has worked his way up to #2 in the company. And he makes dang good money. He was given the same opportunities the rest of us have been given. All I’m saying is I work with black folks and see black folks everyday of my life and I don’t see them treated any differently than me. Not that it doesn’t happen, but I don’t see it. And I don’t know anybody that treats black folks differently, cause if they did I wouldn’t have anything to do with them. As for me and every white person I know, we respect everybody that deserves to be respected because they are honest, hard working and show others respect. It’s a people thing, not a color thing.

Jul 25, 2020, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: White privilege is a myth..... ]

In today's world my friend it does not matter. It's best that you go ahead bow down and admit that your whole family are racist, your great grandparents were racist, your grandparents were racist, your momma and daddy were racist. The sooner that you go ahead and admit that 2+2=5 the better off you will be.If you don't they will put a cage on your face full of hungry rats. I am illustrating the absurdity of the woke counter culture with this absurd reply.

And for that to be true,

Jul 25, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: White privilege is a myth..... ]

one must be able to look into the mind and thoughts of another person to know for sure if they say, got the job because they were white..Well, how does a politician KNOW that? Did the hiring manager come out and say, "Hell yeah, we got another white employee y'all, #### I'm a good racist"....of course not..so it's a dumb phrase, and a ridiculous argument....it's not really an argument....it's assumption based on one's OWN inner biases. It's like telling someone, "You hate birds...I KNOW you do." Ridiculous. Complete garbage argument...not yours, I get what you are saying too....I'm talking the whole argument and the phrase together....the knee jerk reaction for any disappointment has become race. I worked for German company, and they are big on affirmative action...which in and of itself is racism.....not against white people....but it is basically telling minorities that they can't do it without help.

Jul 25, 2020, 6:04 AM

You ought to know that the only thing that matters is B.L.
And I'm white,and I'm listening,but can we really blame the Black community for giving a $#!+.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:21 AM

White privilege does not mean people with light colored skin have not struggled, starved, suffered ... had to overcome real inequities in their lives to be successful ... Or even just to survive. It means that they didn't also have to overcome the real biases in our culture related to skin color. A dark skinned person has to overcome the same challenges AND real barriers due only to their skin. Those barriers are measurable and well documented ... It is no myth.

knowing this should not ever lessen the value of anyone regardless of skin color, but the goal of giving everyone a level playing field is a worthy cause. EVERYONE!

This is equal justice and freedom for all. When you live in a system biased in your favor, it is hard to see it ... especially when your own struggles are real (and for those whom you love and you want to see succeed). But it is real.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Jul 25, 2020, 9:30 AM

If you respect other people, work hard and obey the laws regardless of Color you will be treated right . It’s not a black or white issue, just like the criminal loud mouth black , a white trash pill head are treated equally.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:25 AM

You are misinformed. Read gman’s post below

Y'all sound like a bunch of grafted white devils.

Jul 25, 2020, 9:58 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakub_(Nation_of_Islam)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=devuHfkkSvQ

Jul 25, 2020, 9:59 AM

My suggestion would be to talk with some of your African-American friends, co-workers or associates, and ask them to tell you about their experiences with public authority figures in their life. I would not ask them about “white privilege”, but instead just talk to them about their personal experiences. It was disheartening to hear one of my friends talk about his first dramatic interaction with the St. Louis police when he was a teenager after leaving with his friends from a nice downtown restaurant. Before they could even get into their car, they were stopped, thrown against the car, and held for 30 plus minutes. They were then told to never come back to this part of St. Louis, and finally released. This is not like anything I faced in my life, and it made me understand better his situation.

Jul 25, 2020, 11:13 AM

Are you from St. Louis? If not go spend some time walking the streets in St. Louis and come report back to us. I'm pretty sure we won't ever hear from you again. St. Louis is one of those places you can be fine one minute and you walk a block in the wrong direction to find out that you are in Afghanistan.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:28 PM

My fiancee is from St. Louis so I've been there plenty of times. It's nothing like what you describe.

Jul 25, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Re: White privilege is a myth..... ]

Also, it seems pretty odd that any and all conversations regarding this issue begin and end with the treatment of blacks by the police. I don't think there is anyone that won't agree there are issues with police treatment in some cases but I think they are not the norm. Everyone seems to forget that there are lots of other issues regarding blacks in society that are very positive and some things have actually gone in the direction of being very much in favor of blacks in the US.

Jul 25, 2020, 11:30 AM

No, I am not from Sr. Louis, although I do have family members who have lived there. I am not sure what that has to do with my initial suggestion or the story I shared of my friend. I used this as an example, but I am guessing that if you were to talk with friends and acquaintances who are African-American, you might also see stories beyond police ones. You might see ones about people shopping and having issues with the workers at the store (I have seen this first hand), issues with teachers, bosses, etc. As such, I suggest you reach out to your friends and talk (and listen), and maybe you will understand their viewpoint better. Maybe let us know what they share.

Jul 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

You keep mentioning talking to friends or coworkers. I’ve spoken on this same topic with my black coworker. As I mentioned elsewhere in this topic, we work in the STEM field. She claimed without doubt that she was interviewed and offered for positions out of her experience level based on her race and sex. This is completely anecdotal, but so are all these stories regarding white privilege.

Jul 25, 2020, 2:57 PM

It sounds like you have spoken to one Black co-worker about one thing, her work situation concerning interviews/employment. This discussion is about a broader topic, which is why I suggested you speak to several people, and ask them specifically about their interactions with people in authority, etc. Ask them about their interactions with bosses, police, managers in stores, etc. I have done this a number of times over the past few months, which I why I suggest everyone take this step. Again, if you have questions about something, you ask the specific source. I would love to hear back after you have had some of these conversations. There is also data out there concerning banking issues, traffic stops, etc. I am assuming by your participation in this post, you want to learn, so why not take this step?

Jul 25, 2020, 3:32 PM

It might sound like that, but the topic was white privilege. She used her employment opportunities, one of the key points on defining white privilege, as an example for why she didn’t believe in it.

Also to learn something? I’ve done countless hours of reading books and listening to lectures from white and black people smarter and more educated than I am on this topic. You do a lot of assuming in your post.

If you’d like more anecdotal evidence, my upper middle class black next door neighbor doesn’t believe in white privilege either. My point of the original post is that either side is just anecdotal. I and other white people have had poor interactions with bosses, police, and store managers. These aren’t examples of situations unique to the black experience. Prejudice is not unique to the black experience despite what white liberals want you to think.

Jul 25, 2020, 3:50 PM

I guess our understanding of white privilege is slightly different, as I see it as situations where people of color many times face challenging issues that white people do not, especially in the areas of dealing with people in authority. When you spoke with your black neighbor, did you ask or did he share any experiences with people in authority that you as a white person have not had to face? Did he deal with a boss, a teacher, the police, etc. where he was treated differently or with less respect due to the color of his skin? I am a 50+ year old white male who has never been pulled over for a minor traffic offense such as not turning on my blinker, yet I have several African American friends who have had this experience. I have not been pulled out of my car during the two speeding tickets I have received. I have not had my car searched. I have never been stopped on the street for no reason. In my job, I have never been told that I got the job just because of the color of my skin, or been told I was admitted to Clemson for my color. I Have never been stopped in a store to see why I was there, or followed during my shopping trip by an employee who monitored my moves. I could give you more examples of issues I have not faced but my friends have, but you get the point. When both data and personal experiences show these issues clearly, then I think it is time we open our eyes more and try to understand our neighbors better.

Jul 25, 2020, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: White privilege is a myth..... ]

My high school basketball team shared a gym with a neighboring school’s girl’s basketball team, made up of predominantly black girls. When our paths would cross they would spit at the white players and call us white devils.

There are racists and ######## of every color and creed at every position and level. This doesn’t prove privilege.

White, straight, Christian, conservative males..

Jul 25, 2020, 10:51 AM

Are the most discriminated against group of people.

Re: White, straight, Christian, conservative males..

Jul 25, 2020, 12:05 PM

Snowflake

Nonsense

Jul 25, 2020, 12:09 PM [ in reply to White, straight, Christian, conservative males.. ]

cry me a river.

Re: Nonsense

Jul 25, 2020, 12:40 PM

See I was talking about how white people are left out or given credit for their hard work and how whites are put down daily. So I was right. You don't see us except to put us down. You don't hear us. Instead you talk about people of color when this conversation was about whites. Whites get tired too of being the bad guy for what some of their ancestors or grandparents did. Just like any person whites cannot help what others in their family tree did or did not do. Some talk about injustice. The whites these days are guilty of everything and anything. We hear it everywhere. Do you care? I think NOT!!

Jul 25, 2020, 12:27 PM [ in reply to White, straight, Christian, conservative males.. ]

He’s exactly right...

Just like Affirmative Action is a racist law on the books in America.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jul 25, 2020, 2:18 PM

Affirmative action is basically telling a minority that they can't do it on their own, they have to have help.....and THAT is racist for sure.

Jul 25, 2020, 2:00 PM [ in reply to White, straight, Christian, conservative males.. ]

Yep. It’s called reverse discrimination

You have it backwards

Jul 25, 2020, 12:22 PM

Someone else said it best: “privilege is not about what you went through, rather it is about what you never had to go through”

Re: You have it backwards

Jul 25, 2020, 12:40 PM

Yep I've seen it happen to people of all races including whites in black populated areas in this country

Jul 25, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to You have it backwards ]

Whites have endured discrimination and maltreatment, not to mention outright slavery throughout history. Look up indentured servitude in America.

American and European Whites were literally enslaved by Muslim slave traders as late the 1800's.

The Trans- Atlantic Slave Trade to North America specifically, was short lived compared to slavery in other periods and places.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2020, 1:48 PM

BLM org would be an ANC lite group at the moment. The latter is the reason there is white genocide in South Africa.

That assumes white aren't arrested, held to account...

Jul 25, 2020, 3:46 PM [ in reply to You have it backwards ]

for sin by never reaping what we sow or don't hunger for food, clean water/air and don't have to work to earn a living and give our families a good life.

What your statement says is that whites have everything handed to them, are the protected class and live on easy street. A small mind would believe that lie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as y’all want football to come back, you apparently

Jul 25, 2020, 2:31 PM

don’t want any good recruits.

Is that the key to good recruits now?***

Jul 25, 2020, 2:43 PM

It’s not helping. It’s like y’all never heard of Facebook

Jul 25, 2020, 2:45 PM

Unless you’re scared to post this stuff there

Re: It’s not helping. It’s like y’all never heard of Facebook

Jul 25, 2020, 2:50 PM

Re: It’s not helping. It’s like y’all never heard of Facebook

Jul 25, 2020, 2:53 PM

Well said my man, You deserve a TU.

So Trevor is too dumb?***

Jul 25, 2020, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: It’s not helping. It’s like y’all never heard of Facebook ]

Re: So Trevor is too dumb?***

Jul 25, 2020, 3:24 PM

Re: Reply to Robertn

Jul 25, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to As much as y’all want football to come back, you apparently ]

So people can talk about black problems but not about white problems. Got it.

Message was edited by: The Doorman®

Re: As much as y’all want football to come back, you apparently

Jul 25, 2020, 3:51 PM [ in reply to As much as y’all want football to come back, you apparently ]

So whites aren’t supposed to discuss their so called white privilege for fear of being labeled racist? Really sounds like a privilege.

Yay, more Tiger Boards trash, and stupid one too.***

Jul 25, 2020, 3:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic