Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Which 2018 5-star OL has been most successful?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Which 2018 5-star OL has been most successful?

Jan 8, 2021, 7:22 AM

We commonly discuss the ability or inability of Clemson to recruit and sign the available 5-star OL in a given recruiting class.

In fact, we act as if there are dozens of them available and failure to get at least one on campus is a real coaching shortcoming.

So let’s take a look at the four (that’s right, there were only four) Rivals 5-star OL available in 2018 and debate which (if any) have lived up to expectations?

Jaymare Saylor
Nick Petit-Frere
Jackson Carman
Cade Mayes

What do you think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which 2018 5-star OL has been most successful?

Jan 8, 2021, 7:36 AM

OSU has been very happy with Nick Petit-Frere, though I don’t watch him enough to grade him. I think Carmen has done better than most here believe. Cade Mayes has been average at best.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Carman has the 5 star size and ability

Jan 8, 2021, 11:39 AM

He had a lot more mental errors this year IMO

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 7:43 AM

I looked up the top 5 OT every year since 2009. It's surprising how many have gone undrafted or later rounds. Alabama seems to be the school that gets the most out of them but maybe they're just the best at evaluating. Texas was by far the worst.

Great point

Jan 8, 2021, 8:37 AM

To hear some people tell it there are 50-100 5* OL in every class. Totally false.

The truth is closer to your point. OL is the most difficult position to evaluate coming out of high school. Sure we've missed on a few, but in reality Clemson recruits well enough to be better (although we don't sign as many as we should).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great point

Jan 8, 2021, 9:16 AM

Excellent assessment. When you look at the rosters, you'll find them peppered with ppl from d2 and d3 schools more so than any other position group.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 8:38 AM

Wait until the NFL Draft to get an answer because the only "Stars" in the league are the ones that get paid.

Jan 8, 2021, 8:42 AM

Remember how excited we all were the night Mitch Hyatt committed to the Tigers on tv? He was a four year starter and never reached the level we had hoped. Not even drafted after all that hoopla. Something has to give. The big guys win big games.

Jan 8, 2021, 9:10 AM

Not a high profile projection site (like kipper etc) that projects when/where oline will go in 21. Carmen and Mayes flip flop between 12 and 13th selection in rnds 2-4.

They were saying Carmen probably go as a guard but for several NFL scouts, they feel he's playing with too much weight and would need to slim down.

In comparison, (not by recruiting star) OSU has 3 oline position that are expected to go in rnd 2-3. I didn't review their line so don't know if others are staying, graduated or underclassmen. I do know they've picked up a couple oline from the portal... Fwiw

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 9:17 AM

Haven't we covered this already?? The PORTAL IS THE DEVIL BOBBY BOUCHET!!!!

Salyer has been as advertised...

Jan 8, 2021, 9:59 AM

Not elite, but I wish he didn't have 'car problems', and ended up here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 10:07 AM

Most five star players at every position don't turn into professionals or even superstar collegiate players. Football isnt even remotely like basketball where those at the top are far more likely to succeed. Recruiting really is more of an art than a science.

I don't know about the other guys

Jan 8, 2021, 3:39 PM

but JC's pass-blocking just crumbled for some reason. He looked slow. Maybe the COVID restrictions got him out of shape and he never found his stride.

As a run-blocker, JC can be elite but you don't pay LTs to be great run-blockers. Maybe he'll get moved to LG or RG which could be a better fit for someone like him who prefers nastiness in the trenches vs. hand/foot technique.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic