Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has Clemson's math problem been solved yet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Has Clemson's math problem been solved yet?

May 2, 2012, 10:58 AM

Did the ACC solve it? Will the Big 12?

Hmm . . .????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we've got our finest morons working on it.***

May 2, 2012, 10:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please help me understand this math problem

May 2, 2012, 11:05 AM

I've seen you post this question numerous times. I understand that Clemson gets less $$$ than the other conferences. But where is the math problem. We've shown we can pay our coaches as much as just about anyone. We've got (according to a recent article) the best stadium to see a game at. We have broken ground on an indoor practice facility. Plus we have a magical place with sexy ladies, a lake, and something special in the hills. I don't understand the math problem.

We get less money than the coots, I get it. But how is that keeping our football team from being awesome? I don't see it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please help me understand this math problem

May 2, 2012, 11:07 AM

we have no money left for deeply discounted lodging deals like at the WHitney

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That makes sense

May 2, 2012, 11:11 AM

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting more $$$ through conference afiliation and TV revenue, but I don't like the $$$ difference between us and any other team to be an excuse for why we're not a top 5 team. The extra cash would be nice...maybe we'd have swimming and diving still, or maybe softball or some other sports if we had SEC $$$. But I think football has plenty of cash to be successful.

You are correct at the moment BUT when the millions they

May 2, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Please help me understand this math problem ]

are talking about for the SEC TV deal get dumped on USuC then it will blow your mind what they can do with it and how they can outspend us in facilities and coaches.

This stuff really hasn't kicked in yet. We have a math problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are correct at the moment BUT when the millions they

May 2, 2012, 11:17 AM

I know my opinion on this is probably biased but as a Clemson fan I think I'd be worried about it. Whether they redo the ESPN deal or do an SEC network, the numbers being thrown around for the new SEC TV deal is crazy. Unlike anything ever seen in college sports. Some of the projections have SEC teams operating at higher financial levels than some NFL teams. Eventually that kind of money is going to breed massive success.

Mark, I hear the same thing. I hope the $$ I hear are

May 2, 2012, 2:05 PM

close to accurate. If so, it's going to blow a lot of people away.

There can only be one sec champion per year. No matter

May 2, 2012, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: You are correct at the moment BUT when the millions they ]

How much money scar has, at least 5 other sec teams will have more. Scar may make our rivalry less lopsided, but we will still win our share of games against them and they still won't have a conference championship. The sec money hasnt helped ole miss, Kentucky, miss st. Or vandy. It is not going to help scar either

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There can only be one sec champion per year. No matter

May 2, 2012, 9:07 PM

Already helping. Plus, we have some built-in advantages over those schools.

No it isn't. Spurrier is the only thing helping you, and he

May 2, 2012, 10:17 PM

Didnt come to scar for money. He is your coach because he pitied you, has a huge ego and wanted a big challenge.

When spurrier leaves, so does your 15minutes of "fame". Enjoy it while it lasts

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No it isn't. Spurrier is the only thing helping you, and he

May 3, 2012, 11:19 AM

Don't think thats it at all. Spurrier has done an excellent job. I expect that when he retires we hire another excellent coach. The difference at USC is the resources we now have and the commitment to using those resources. We now have an administration committed to athletics. You add commitment to a big pile of maoney and you can make things happen. Those other schools you listed get the money too but they don't raise as much on their own in most cases or they or not as committed, at least to football. They use the money for other things.

Do I think we are on the cusp of leaving Clemson behind? Not at all. Do I think its ever going to go back to what Clemson fans consider "normal?" Hghly doubtful.

Re: No it isn't. Spurrier is the only thing helping you, and he

May 3, 2012, 1:39 PM

You may have more money, but as the Beatles said "money can't buy you love". You're still gonna be disrespected and trashed by all programs of relevance. Get used to that....the truth will set you free.

Re: You are correct at the moment BUT when the millions they

May 2, 2012, 11:19 AM [ in reply to You are correct at the moment BUT when the millions they ]

OK, I can see your point. And I'm sure they'll be able to out spend us in the near future...but no matter how much you polish it, a turd is still a turd.

I am not naive enough to believe that we are going to remain better than the coots because we're Clemson and they are the coots, but I'm hopeful that our admin/leadership will make a deliberate, thoughtful, long-term decision that will benefit Clemson. I don't want us to jump ship out of fear, nor do I want us to hold on to the ACC out of pride or tradition or even academics if it means we lose out.

I don't know the answer or the possibilities that we're exploring...I just hope we make the right choice based on the right reasons.

i think you're limiting the impact by focusing on the coots

May 2, 2012, 11:45 AM

alone.

uga, uf, auburn, bama and ut are usually in on the same 'bigtime' recruits as is cu.

these programs were already on equal footing and/or beyond before the additional espn monies and hype.

it's not going to get any better in the future if all things remain the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree on all counts. But if you keep giving a school

May 2, 2012, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Please help me understand this math problem ]

$12 million / year more than another school - it's going to shift the balance of power some.

Hypothetically, any SEC school could offer any ACC head coach $2 million more per year than they are currently making - and not give it a second thought.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have yet to see the major impact of conference money

May 2, 2012, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Please help me understand this math problem ]

It's already happening to some extent, with the SEC able to hire away successful coaches in any sport by throwing the money at them. But when the dollars really start rolling in, that's when they'll be able to cherry-pick to their heart's content and nobody will be able to do zip about it. H#ll at some point they'll probably be able to pay coaches simply NOT to coach for a particular team. (And before anyone says that's illegal, remember which conference we're talking about.)

The PAC-12 and Big TweleventySeven will be able to do similar things in their markets, though IMO not to the extent of the SEC.

Re: Please help me understand this math problem

May 2, 2012, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Please help me understand this math problem ]

I wouldn't consider the bleacher report as a reputable article on a reputable site. Those guys aren't even journalists...just a bunch of bloggers

Whew. I'm glad it's just a math problem.

May 2, 2012, 11:12 AM

I thought we had an income problem.

Re: Whew. I'm glad it's just a math problem.

May 2, 2012, 11:32 AM

The coots don't have an indoor practice field.We will be 1 up!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2012, 9:50 PM

Yes they do. It's right next to the soccer stadium. It is not 100 yd field, just 50 yarder.

May 3, 2012, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Whew. I'm glad it's just a math problem. ]

The coots already have am indoor practice facility

Its old but they have one. They also have plans to build a new one in the new farmers market area that is suppose to be more expensive then ours by a few million dollars

SEC

May 2, 2012, 8:58 PM

Simply an opinion, but I believe the SEC doesn't want to take Clemson bc of footprint but given the option between coots and us the sec administration would kick the coots out to take us.

lol, good one....***

May 2, 2012, 10:42 PM

Yeah, South Carolina has always been a hot commodity...

May 3, 2012, 11:41 AM

Those 20 years they went without a conference. The ACC wouldn't even have you back. The SEC was looking for a "filler" to get a Championship Game. And 95% of the time, that's exactly what South Carolina has been.

Re: Yeah, South Carolina has always been a hot commodity...

May 3, 2012, 1:42 PM

Every time the subject of SC's departure from the ACC and possible readmission comes up, I thank the Dear Lord that the ACC was as dumb about football during those 20 years as they are today.

Think about it. SC would have been mired in a non-football conference (ACC) and currrently fighting with Clemson over who would receive the blessed invitation to join the SEC.

. . . and now we have so much money we can't spend it fast enough. Oh, and many, many millions are on their way to Columbia. Ole Commissioner Slick, er Slive, is the Sugar Daddy of the SEC. That man can cut a deal.

Re: Yeah, South Carolina has always been a hot commodity...

May 4, 2012, 9:57 AM

i have to give you credit for the last statement... sec commish can cut a deal

I think it's going to take some of that Dillon math.***

May 3, 2012, 2:10 PM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic