Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where the admin screwed up on the basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Where the admin screwed up on the basketball

Feb 21, 2019, 10:14 AM

program. To me the place where we screwed the pooch was when Barnes left. Should have used his short streak while excitement was at an all time high for the program to sink some money on improvement plans and a higher profile coach. Instead we set on our hands and went on the cheap and just hired Shyatt. That killed any momentum the program had. Not saying we could have gotten the greatest coach, but with a plan for improvements and a show of support with money, we could have done better than Shyatt.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If not for chasing skirts....***

Feb 21, 2014, 2:07 PM

I do not think the administration screwed up.***

Feb 21, 2019, 10:19 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's easy to say in hindsight, but at the time Shyatt

Feb 21, 2019, 10:20 AM

was hired, it looked like he was the guy who could continue what Barnes started.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

True to a certain extent, he was a seemingly good

Feb 21, 2019, 10:25 AM

for as a relatively hot assistant but all her really had under his belt was the one year at Wyoming and his years with Barnes is what got him the job. Still think there could have been better options and a plan in place for improvements to the facilities then.

Shyatt is the reason you don't hire Dabo

Feb 21, 2019, 3:04 PM

In fact, I think that was brought up when dabo was hired.

You just can't win for losing.... hindsight is always 20/20.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dabo might be the only example in history where hiring

Feb 21, 2019, 3:24 PM

the interim coach to the full-time gig worked out. Add in the fact that he had absolutely no HC or coordinator experience and there were plenty of reasons to be dubious about the hire.

Re: Dabo might be the only example in history where hiring

Feb 21, 2019, 5:53 PM

Danny Ford was just the offensive line coach when he was hired on as head coach .

There’s no doubt that Dabo...

Feb 21, 2019, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Shyatt is the reason you don't hire Dabo ]

Is the needle in a haystack, and his success relative to his experience puts him about 29 standard deviations from the norm (that’s a little Stats lingo for those of you in Rio Linda).

Dabo is a miracle; but miracles do happen. I don’t expect us to make a miracle hire like that in basketball. But we can certainly do better than extending the contract with mediocrity. I don’t expect us to spend what Duke spends every year in basketball; but we could and should spend more to support a coach who shows some signs of moving the program forward after 4-5 years. If a coach shows he can develop talent, his success in recruiting (as opposed to relying on the transfer portal) increases. That’s what we need here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - we had a strong coach in Barnes who was building..

Feb 21, 2019, 10:21 AM

something but then we turned around and settled on Shyatt. I know we struck it rich when we gave DS a chance in football but the odds of that kind of thing successfully happening are slim.

To recruit big-time basketball players to Clemson, we need a big-time coach with name recognition who can relate to today's guys coming out of high school, not to mention a coach who's a strong game day coach, etc.

Re: Where the admin screwed up on the basketball

Feb 21, 2019, 10:44 AM

Good grief Barnes has been gone over 20 years and we've renovated LJ twice. Try an approach w some relevance to today. We are starting 4/5 of a sweet sixteen team composed of 5th year seniors and they look like they've never won a close game before. Way too many mistakes and poor shots for that experience level. Devoe was great down the stretch but it wasnt all him. Every one of these senior guys have aspirations of some pro ball somewhere. Only possibly ET has elevated its profile with play so far

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100% on the problem with today's team

Feb 21, 2019, 11:13 AM

and I believe the "lack of support" excuse has been used as a catch all excuse for BB'. I just think if they'd struck a little quicker and better back then, we'd be in a different place today.

Did you even read his post before responding?

Feb 21, 2019, 3:09 PM

He's saying we're in a better spot now. Barnes never took us to a sweet 16. There are no excuses for how we played this year.

Feb 21, 2019, 10:52 AM

Easy to say now that he has Tennessee in the top 5. What a ridiculous statement

Why is it a ridiculous statement? I'm not saying anything

Feb 21, 2019, 11:09 AM

about Barnes staying or anything like that. All I'm saying is that the interest in the program when he left was at an all time high ( not much to compare it too). They should have taken that chance to do better with the program than what they did.

Feb 21, 2019, 3:56 PM

I would say around then 1920s when we would hire a coach for one sport (baseball or football) and then also have him coach basketball. A prime example would be Banks McFadden (gulp, treading hollow ground). Unlike most, he had basketball experience but most of our other coaches were former Qbs/other sport coaches with another assignment. Basketball was an afterthought. I think our "first" true basketball coach was Maravich.

We kept Banks as a basketball coach for 10 years. He had only 1 win in ACC play. Awesome in every way but as a basketball coach.

Feb 21, 2019, 8:30 PM

They hired Shyatt because he was a hot assistant AND the players were threatening to transfer if they hired someone else.

At the time, it looked like were going to have sustained success, so I don't see it as a mistake.

The talent drop off was the problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic