Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going back to 2015, Clemson was AP #3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Going back to 2015, Clemson was AP #3

Sep 22, 2019, 10:19 PM

behind #1 OSU and #2 Baylor. Then the college football rankings came out and put us at #1, OSU #2, a 1 loss Bama to #3 (they were #8 in the AP poll the week prior) and dropped an undefeated Baylor to #4.

Any chance an unbeaten Clemson could see anything other than #1 when the first CFP rankings come out? I think there's a chance LSU could be #1 based on them beating Texas and would have a win against Florida at that time. This is where the weakness of the ACC could potentially hurt us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Going back to 2015, Clemson was AP #3

Sep 22, 2019, 10:22 PM

Doesn’t matter. Win and we’re in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. That's understood. Not the question I asked, though.***

Sep 22, 2019, 10:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes. That's understood. Not the question I asked, though.***

Sep 22, 2019, 10:27 PM

Owensb I believe if we win out we will remain #1 and should expect that spot in the CFB rankings .
I just think that our credit is built to a point that without a loss we are the best team in the country and that's that .
It's very early to be worrisome on something 2 months away , but I stick by my guns in that if we stay unbeaten we'll stay #1 throughout .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 AM

Last year doesn't matter tho. Lsu and Bama could be ahead of us. It isn't just who you beat tho it's how dominate you look so we could be first.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can only do what is on your schedule

Sep 24, 2019, 1:02 PM

I agree with this. We've obliterated everyone, including OOC Tex AM. We keep doing what we're doing, and we will be #1 when the rankings come out. Also, WF is sitting at #26.

Remember when ESPN ran the top ELEVEN for like 2 weeks bc #11 was SEC.

Well, WF is in the top 26 ????

null

Sep 22, 2019, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Yes. That's understood. Not the question I asked, though.*** ]

If you're worried we might get "Baylored," I just don't see how an undefeated defending National Champion on a 28-game win streak gets demoted, no matter what LSU or Alabama do. Baylor didn't have that luxury. And, as I recall, they didn't have a defense either. The talking heads are loving our defense.

Sep 22, 2019, 10:52 PM

Anyone remember FSU in 2014? Riding a 29 game win streak and got knocked down to #3. And they had a tougher schedule than we do that year.

I think we will get benefit of the doubt. But you can never say never.

Sep 22, 2019, 11:06 PM

The wheels were so obviously coming off that team, though. We're rough around the edges, but nothing like that clearly approaching train wreck.

That FSU team was never impressive though.

Sep 23, 2019, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes. That's understood. Not the question I asked, though.*** ]

They trailed in the 2nd half of like half of their games and it was really a miracle they managed to go 13-0.

It does matter.

Sep 22, 2019, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Going back to 2015, Clemson was AP #3 ]

It determines who you play first. And who you play determines how ready you'll be for the championship.

Re: It does matter.

Sep 23, 2019, 5:32 PM

If that is truly the case we should be begging not to be #1 seed. Seeing how a #1 seed has never won it all.

Sep 22, 2019, 10:25 PM

I think they will respect the fact that we are the defending champs. But at the same time LSU plays a top 10 Florida team and top 10 auburn team the two weeks before the first ranking. 3 wins against top 10 teams would be hard to deny. I still think the first ranking we will be 1. But if LSU beats Alabama that same week, LSU will be number 1 week 2.

Except performance didn't put

Sep 22, 2019, 10:39 PM

Florida and Auburn...or even LSU in the Top 10. Preseason perception did.

Clemson has four...count 'em...four straight years of a track record that ONLY Bama can match. Clemson isn't a perception...and it's not ranked as part of trumpeting a conference that's had its' own media mouthpiece for several years.

If rankings didn't begin until, say, October, the initial one and the end of year ones would look significantly different. Strip out a preseason number from in front of a school's name, and the media loses its' primary justification for SOS...and without perception as the cornerstone, a LOT of published 'stuff' never gets written.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 10:26 PM

I would LOVE to be the CFP's #2

Dabo would use that "disrespect" to his advantage

Psst, #2 out of 130 isn't much disrespect, but keep that to yourself

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

and #1 has never won the playoff

Sep 22, 2019, 10:28 PM

pretty sure only #2 and #4 teams have hoisted the trophy.

I believe you are correct

Sep 22, 2019, 10:32 PM

But if we're #1, we'll be the first

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: I believe you are correct

Sep 23, 2019, 12:18 AM

Like being the first 15-0 team. The media soooooooooo wanted that to be Bama.

It’s only unthinkable if you don’t think it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think some will make that case, but think we still hold on

Sep 22, 2019, 10:32 PM

to top spot unless we have a poor showing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Clemson is and will continue to be the top cat...

Sep 22, 2019, 10:58 PM

in college football until someone knocks them off.

Just keep winning !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yes, I think its likely that we will not be #1

Sep 22, 2019, 11:08 PM

They care about resume and ours will be seriously lacking. Once other teams start to lose we will be fine though.

Honestly

Sep 23, 2019, 6:30 AM

...who knows, who cares? Anything is possible because there are thousands of scenarios that could play out.

As long as we're in the Top-4. At this point worrying about what our seeding will be is a waste of time.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Alabama, LSU, or UGA are undefeated after the SEC

Sep 23, 2019, 7:26 AM

championship we will be #2 or #3. The only way we are not is if Virginia ends up being a 1 or 2 loss top 10 team. when we smack them down 49-7. If the SEC champion is a 1 loss team we will remain #1. I'm not too worried about the Big10 passing us due to their reputation in playoff games.

I still think we are the best team, but the playoff committee doesn't use the eye test. They go off resumes.

Re: If Alabama, LSU, or UGA are undefeated after the SEC

Sep 23, 2019, 6:21 PM

Agree and disagree. If we continue to blow teams out of the water and play good defense, Trevor just needs to get back to form for us to be one of the first teams to pass the eye test.

We're not getting more hype right now because Trevor's playing merely great and not legendary.

This is where recruiting and sustained excellence help.

Sep 23, 2019, 3:48 PM

We will still be #1, even though the schedule has not provided many tests. A&M was supposed to be one, but they have already lost again. Syracuse as well. But, the flip side is also true. If we struggle at all with one of these inferior teams, we will get dropped down the rankings like a runaway elevator.

I dont think we will stay #1. The CFP rankings are based largely on

Sep 23, 2019, 6:13 PM

resume and we aren't going to have much of one. Anybody like Bama, LSU, UGA, OSU, Wisc, or OU that's undefeated has a decent chance of being ranked ahead of us. As those teams lose we will move back towards the top.

Trying to divine the future is one heck of a way

Sep 23, 2019, 6:16 PM

To define the quality of an opponent. It's also quite laughable. But, that's the silliness of preseason polls...

Elaborate please

Sep 24, 2019, 8:00 AM

Are you saying we don't yet know whether or not our resume will be good when the first set of rankings are released on Nov 5th?

Re: Elaborate please

Sep 24, 2019, 12:58 PM

No, I'm referring to preseason polls as though they're predictors of future results. Play the games, assess the results after the first 4-5, then, perhaps, think about ranking. August, that's silly. The day after the Natty...someone's bored.

After week 5, Vegas strongly favors Clemson

Sep 24, 2019, 8:20 AM

Clemson.........+175
Alabama.........+260
Georgia.........+850
Ohio State +900
LSU..... +1000
Oklahoma +1400
Wisconsin +2000
Auburn.. +4000
Michigan +5000
Florida. +6600

These odds suggest Vegas and most bettors expect Clemson to win the NATTY this year, considering everything known about the teams, schedule and capabilities of those competing for the title.
I value this opinion more than I do that of the 'eye test' gang, the 'weak schedule' gang, the 'nervous Clemson fan' gang and the 'narrative gang'.

But everyone has to play the games. Clemson plays UNC this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's odds to win the title though

Sep 24, 2019, 8:30 AM

The OP was asking whether or not we would be #1 when the first CFP rankings are released on Nov 5th.

We are only half way to the first poll

Sep 24, 2019, 8:31 AM

a lot of change will happen between now and then

Sep 24, 2019, 8:44 AM

Few things – while it would be neat to be the first team to go #1 wire to wire or the first #1 to win the CFP, I don’t believe some number decided in some conference room somewhere really matters. It is about on-the-field execution. So, I see both sides of it (should Clemson be #1?) but I don’t really care. Now to the OP question, no I don’t think we will be #1 once the committee rankings come out IF things continue as they are. Those things being undefeated SEC teams, middling ACC competition for Clemson, dominating wins by OSU etc. I don’t think an undefeated ACC champ Clemson gets left out of the playoff based on our schedule because of a few things. 1) The committee historically looks at Top 40, not Top 25 teams and Clemson should have a few of those on their schedule. The committee (historically) has admitted that teams 20th-40th are practically equal and they all rotate in and out on a weekly basis. 2) Our history. Like the other person noted, we have a history matched only by Bama, with honorable mentions to OSU and OK. 3) As we saw in the media last year and almost in the committee, there is a strong influence to put teams in the CFP that “look good getting off the bus”. UGA, I’m looking right at you. But Herbstreit said it best – “Eventually you gotta win the games!”. UGA did not. If Clemson does, we DO look good getting off the bus and we’re in. I don’t care if we’re #1 or #4 – as long as we’re in. Let’s face it – none of the teams that make the CFP are going to be a cake walk so what does it matter? Win your game or go home.

But to my point above, some things will change. Somebody will lose. Some team(s) in the ACC may step up (WF keeps playing decent, UVA has 9-10 wins maybe beats ND) and give us some good Top 40 wins on the resume. Everyone does this every year – spazz out in Sept then by late Oct the landscape is totally different.

When the first rankings are released on Nov 5th

Sep 24, 2019, 9:19 AM

These would be the notable wins for some of the more relevant teams:

Alabama - A&M (they play LSU 4 days later)
LSU - Texas, Florida, Auburn
Georgia - Notre Dame, Florida
Wisconsin - Michigan, Mich St, Ohio St
Ohio State - Mich St, Wisconsin
Penn St - Iowa, Michigan, Mich St
Oklahoma - Texas
Clemson - A&M

Obviously some teams will emerge and look like better wins while others fade and become less significant, but i think Bama and Clemson pretty clearly have the weakest schedules leading up to November 5th. That puts the committee in an interesting position because those are the #1 and #2 teams in the polls and the 2 most dominant programs over the last 4 years, but there will likely be several other unbeaten teams sitting there with much better wins. Will those teams be ahead of Bama or Clemson or will the committee leave Bama and Clemson at the top and justify it with the old "eye test?"

Re: When the first rankings are released on Nov 5th

Sep 24, 2019, 9:28 AM

There may be less unbeaten teams at this point than you think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just saying there will be a few

Sep 24, 2019, 11:37 AM

Not all of the teams i listed will be, but several will.

I'll be ok if we drop to #2...

Sep 24, 2019, 9:30 AM

That position has worked out quite well for us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe if we struggle in the ACCCG

Sep 24, 2019, 11:39 AM

and only win by 30.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic