Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When did true journalism die?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

When did true journalism die?

Nov 24, 2020, 4:22 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When did true journalism die?

Nov 24, 2020, 4:27 PM

I like to think it was when Walter Cronkite left the air.
But it was probably somewhere during that time that the President we had before this one was in office.
And no I didn't approve this message.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2020, 5:19 PM

ole Walt was not exactly non-partisan...just sayin

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!

Nov 24, 2020, 5:29 PM

Not sure how Crumkrite was anointed as a “good” journalist. All in all, it’s been a slow death and part of the takeover of centers information and education. Definitely accelerated during Trumps administration. They just dropped all pretense of objectivity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly!

Nov 24, 2020, 8:03 PM

Where have y'all been all these years????? Ben Franklin himself wrote you read at a minimum two news sources and then determine what really happened for yourself. Since the printing press has been around even the best journalists will have at least a little opinion involved. Please don't tell me all this time y'all have trusted in just one news source. But then that could explain some opinions as well. Mind bottling....simply mind bottling.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thomas Paine

Nov 24, 2020, 10:34 PM

A propagandist in the 1700's

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Exactly!

Nov 24, 2020, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Exactly! ]

Where have y'all been all these years????? Ben Franklin himself wrote you read at a minimum two news sources and then determine what really happened for yourself. Since the printing press has been around even the best journalists will have at least a little opinion involved. Please don't tell me all this time y'all have trusted in just one news source. But then that could explain some opinions as well. Mind bottling....simply mind bottling.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. If anything they could be even more dishonest in the past

Nov 25, 2020, 7:56 AM

Because there were less competing journalists who would keep others in check. The ones that had the monopoly could say anything and it would be trusted.

Never true, never pure, poisoned well long ago...

Nov 24, 2020, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Exactly! ]

Indoctrination by the radicals employed as faculty in colleges & universities across the US-impressionable young minds emerge w/ alterations to their core beliefs, a corrupted perspective-

Nov 24, 2020, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: When did true journalism die? ]

Cronkite was a left wing scumbag just like his peers of today. Just look at how he twisted the Tet Offensive into a military defeat, when it was actually a victory, in order to sway American sentiment against the war for all the proof you need. Sure he was better at pretending he wasn't the 60's equivalent of today's Rachel Maddow (she would have reported defeat as well in any Trump war no matter the actual facts) , but he was just another American hating leftist when he wasn't pretending not to be when on TV.

And that's the way it was...***

Nov 24, 2020, 10:55 PM

Cronkite was the instigator of

Nov 24, 2020, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: When did true journalism die? ]

"Activist" journalism. Dan Rather promoted it and detailed it his book, calling for journalism to become a social arbiter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Nov 24, 2020, 4:27 PM

Duke lacrosse

That's when true lawyering died . . . wait . . . nevermind.***

Nov 24, 2020, 4:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I think it was at least around the time that one William

Nov 24, 2020, 4:38 PM

Jefferson Clinton ran for President, the first time. He and Hillary had already amassed a whole lot of shady dealings in Arkansas, but I don't remember hearing about any of them until years AFTER he was President. Oh, and he DID have sex with that woman, and I'll bet a fat one he inhaled that doobie, too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Internet, primarily

Nov 24, 2020, 4:40 PM

Journalism became a matter of who can get it out first and lost any thought of accuracy. It was all about who's first and getting the most clicks. There's no investment with internet news - you don't pay for it like you did the newspaper and you don't schedule and wait for it like you did the nightly news. It's immediate and with no investment, so all they need is a salacious headline. Facts and truth are optional, and usually omitted.

The advent of cable news didn't help either, for much the same reason - immediacy and lack of investment. But it also created new options and these new markets could determine HOW they wanted to report their news and what demographic they wanted to appeal to. MSNBC, for example, was not always the flaming leftist site they are now. FoxNews kind of set the standard of being unabashedly partisan, by aligning with the right, and the other networks saw an opening and aligned with the left. They all did that anyway, beforehand, but now they could be more open about it and not have to try to look objective. Nobody cared. Dems wanted lefty news and Repubs wanted righty news.

So in short, I would say that the 90s killed journalism, between the proliferation of cable news and the advent of the internet, once Al Gore invented it.

Nov 24, 2020, 4:44 PM

I don't have the answer, but I can say that the media hasn't been concerned about telling the truth for a long long time. The truth that speaks of what is good in the world, the media has no interest in that. They are willing to lie about anything good to make it sound bad bc, for them good news don't sell!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dan Rather on bogus Bush docs. Fake but accurate. Courage.

Nov 24, 2020, 4:55 PM

They’ve been 90% liberal donors probably since before LBJ. Why anyone would expect the press to be impartial is beyond me.

It was the Obama campaign in 2008 where they decided it was more important to use their position to influence voters than to keep pretending to be neutral. Then Trump just ripped all the masks off, GOP and “journalists,” where they were outright hostile and attacked constantly to undermine the 2016 election and sway the 2020 election.

As Harry Reid said with a wry smile regarding his lies about Romney’s taxes, “It worked, didn’t it?”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

The Decline Started With 24 Hour News Cycle via Turner

Nov 24, 2020, 4:46 PM

The cadence and pace required to drive the 24 cycle made the ability to fact check obsolete which then transformed the #### into "say whatever the eff you want and if it's wrong just keep pushing new content on top of it"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly what I was going to say. With a nod to

Nov 24, 2020, 9:57 PM

the yellow journalism of the 1890s.

oh if William Randolph Hearst was alive today!

Nov 25, 2020, 10:33 AM

Though his spirit lives on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

slowly after time when it became a for profit industry,

Nov 24, 2020, 4:53 PM

starting around the early 1970's. Further deregulation under Reagan and Clinton led to the Cable News landscape we see today, as well as the consolidation of our media and content providers into a handful of corporations.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Internet and the pop up ads killed journalism

Nov 24, 2020, 5:01 PM

It’s all about traffic to your website. I even give this site money so I don’t have to deal with ads.

Re: Internet and the pop up ads killed journalism

Nov 24, 2020, 5:43 PM

I agree. About the time of the end of the Reagan Administration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2020, 5:56 PM

when we looked more at our tv and phone than we looked out the windshield to see where we were going and remembering the history in our rearview mirror. Go Tigers, beat Pitt!

Nov 24, 2020, 6:08 PM

When Trump took office and everyone started to publish lies and it was rewarded by the Karens of the world. When a lie is published now, no one calls it out so it rolls on, I can't even go to Facebook or Twitter anymore essentially because people feel compelled to bald-faced lie and not face any repercussions for it.

When journalists started using tweets as news.

Nov 24, 2020, 6:45 PM

Also, when they figured out the truth can’t sustain a 24x7x365 content cycle. Only propaganda can keep people locked in.

When bloggers like the Huffington Post started being used as

Nov 24, 2020, 7:00 PM

a legitimate news source. So about 10-15 years ago. It became about clicks and ads more so than actual facts. So if you tell me Donald Trump is a racist enough times then if i'm remedial i'll just accept it as fact.

Nov 24, 2020, 7:04 PM

Watergate. Everyone sees themselves as an investigative reporter. They want to create the news themselves.

Nov 24, 2020, 7:18 PM

It was dead in 1965-1966 when I left and returned from Viet Nam. The hippies and draft dodgers were being praised while we soldiers were being condemned and spit upon as we returned through airports. The earlier comment on the reporting of the TET offensive was a great example of terrible reporting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

February 4, 2004

Nov 24, 2020, 7:29 PM

to be exact

Definitely before 2000

Nov 24, 2020, 8:09 PM

...because in that election....newscasters were actively rooting, on air, for Al Gore.

I’m sure it was long before....but that moment really stuck with me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

study history, they've been lying in the news since

Nov 24, 2020, 8:35 PM

news began. The first time the town cryer stood up, some politician paid or threatened him to lean their way. People think fake news is a new thing.

Saying 'fake news' is like saying 'hot fire' or 'Crybaby Norvell", redundant.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 24, 2020, 8:42 PM

About the time the National Enquirer and The Star were taken out of the grocery checkout lanes.

Nov 24, 2020, 10:14 PM

When Facebook, Twitter, et. al. came along and everyone involved began to make up their own "news" and "alternative" facts. And hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

I don’t know when, but it was definitely dead when RR

Nov 24, 2020, 10:19 PM

Was pres. They hated on everything he did. I had just become politically aware and couldn’t believe how badly they portrayed everything he did.

right after Nixon got impeached***

Nov 24, 2020, 10:22 PM

null

or quit whatever the technicalities are***

Nov 24, 2020, 10:23 PM

null

Dewey Defeats Truman!

Nov 24, 2020, 10:28 PM

I'm just sayin..............

There has always been bias, but

Nov 25, 2020, 1:20 AM

I think there were 2 critical turning points.

The first was Vietnam.

The second is a great observation made by Matt Taibbi and if I’m not mistaken it might’ve been the first time he was on with Joe Rogan.

He has pointed out that traditionally journalism was a blue-collar job. It was a grind. Then we had Watergate. Woodward and Bernstein became famous. They became even more famous with their book “All the President’s Men” which was then made into a hugely successful movie where they were played by good-looking famous actors that made them look super cool! Suddenly tons of upper middle class and wealthy kids, especially those that saw them selves as activists, All wanted to go to journalism school and become the next Woodward or Bernstein. That led to the media becoming an elitist institution. It led to journalism taking a dramatic swing towards activism.

Then came cable TV and 24 hour news followed by the Internet and things really got crazy!

Nov 25, 2020, 5:34 AM

The 50’s with operation mockingbird (cia)! Research it and you will have your answer!

Nov 25, 2020, 5:34 AM

The 50’s with operation mockingbird (cia)! Research it and you will have your answer!

Nov 25, 2020, 6:00 AM

It died when the internet became common in households. Print news companies saw the writing on the wall, then became TMZ click-based panic machines. Not that newspapers didn't offer panic previously, but it significantly accelerated once people no longer had to subscribe to a newspaper.

about the time the Internet became commercially viable***

Nov 25, 2020, 8:11 AM

Nov 25, 2020, 10:29 AM

24 hour news, and the need to fill up that time imo accelerated it.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic