Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH

Jan 29, 2021, 7:00 AM

every year because they're a rival. THEY'RE NOT!!! NEVER WERE!!! NEVER WILL BE!!!

Someone in the ACC orifice had to come up with this concept of a team from the other division that we have to play every year and they came up with Ga Tech all those years ago, but it's time to realize that we don't in fact need to play them every year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH

Jan 29, 2021, 7:14 AM

We will stop the insanity when the new commissioner has the guts to tell Notre Dame they are either "ALL-IN" or take the ROY bus back home.

recruiting Georgia. I think it helps recruiting Georgia***

Jan 29, 2021, 7:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You nailed it. Close thread

Jan 29, 2021, 8:47 AM

I've said quite often (for recruiting purposes) Georgia is part of Clemson's home territory.

Good for us to go there every couple of years to show off.

maybe***

Jan 29, 2021, 8:56 AM [ in reply to recruiting Georgia. I think it helps recruiting Georgia*** ]

The divisional format

Jan 29, 2021, 7:27 AM

...needs to go.

Forget finding a new rival from the Coastal Division (which stinks every year), just play a full conference schedule like we did in 2020 and have the two best teams for the conference championship.

It's not Ga. Tech's fault they're Clemson's cross-over opponent. Replacing them with another weak Coastal team won't fix what ails Clemson's schedule.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 7:30 AM

Oh, the horror.

I believe we could do better and maybe skip every third year***

Jan 29, 2021, 8:55 AM

Jan 29, 2021, 7:31 AM

True, we both dislike UGa more than we dislike each other, but it does make sense geographically.

Jan 29, 2021, 7:43 AM

IF. You had been a student at Clemson when I was, you would not say that they have never been a rival. They annually, in Atlanta, kicked our butt every single season. For years and years and years! I rather enjoy the payback.

Amen to that! Lovin' the payback and.....

Jan 29, 2021, 8:02 AM

there have been some good games. I wish we could swap the cross division teams more frequently. I miss the trips to Blacksburg and Charlottesville. Fun times. Just don't make me go back to College Park.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

^^ This! I am enjoying the annual beat downs we are giving

Jan 29, 2021, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH ]

them recently. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

We need to beat them 17 more times to even the series-would love to see that in my lifetime!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH ]

Amen ..... I love playing them and paying them back for all of the beat downs I had to sit through over the years!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so fast young Tiger........

Jan 29, 2021, 8:18 AM

Clemson has a very long history with Ga Tech. I do consider them a rival but not the ones we all associate with. For the longest a win in Atlanta was rare until recent years. Tech was always a thorn in my side. Tech will always find a way to beat us when Clemson had the much better team. I like seeing them on our schedule.
I’ve been to many of Clemson-Tech games and it is properly the game I have attended the most in my life. My very first Clemson game I ever attended I was about 7 or 8 years old and it was the Clemson-Tech game in Atlanta. I believe it was 1970 or 1971. My parents along with my aunt decided to go the game in Atlanta. We were living in NC at the time. Of course, we got our ### kicked by the city boys.

Jan 29, 2021, 8:22 AM

Here is why we should play Tech every year:
They are the closest ACC school to Clemson geographically. It is a road trip that many tiger fans can make.

There are a ton of Clemson Alumni in Atlanta.

There are a ton of Clemson Students from Metro Atlanta.

The football team has a lot of players from Metro Atlanta.

Metro Atlanta is a very fertile football recruiting .

Pittsburg, Blacksburg, Charlottesville offer none of that.

We already play NC State and Wake so UNC and Duke offer none of that.

Miami is only a plus for a nice trip and good recruiting and they play FSU every year anyway. That ain’t changing.

Jan 29, 2021, 8:48 AM

Flat out great post!

If I took the time to do it I would say

Jan 29, 2021, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH ]

those are pretty good arguments.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^***

Jan 29, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH ]

Agree with all of that with one exception ... it's Pittsburgh (don't forget the H on the end, it's important.)

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AND Atlanta is ....

Jan 30, 2021, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: When are we going to stop the insanity of playing GaTECH ]

not much farther than Clemson from the lower part of the state, and is a fun place for a long weekend. Ga Tec game makes a lot of sense for us to play ..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 8:24 AM

Ga. Tech is very much a rival. They’re SEC days as well as their early independence years, we usually got our clocks cleaned. But we headed back down the road to Atlanta anyway. Would like to see some of the other ACC teams more often, but to say....they’re not a rival is out of bounds. Like others have said, the tables have turned now and it’s most enjoyable!!
Keep those $2 bills handy!

you are correct***

Jan 29, 2021, 8:53 AM

Jan 29, 2021, 8:42 AM

GT is a major conference rival, as far as I'm concerned, and one of my favorite teams to hate. I absolutely despise them. It's not as much fun to beat them now that we can't see Paul Johnson eating a sh#t sandwich on the sidelines every time Venables destroys his offensive "genius", but it's still fun.

I also bristle at the lopsided series record, and I look very much forward to the day when it's finally .500 and then tipped in our favor. That'll take 17 net wins, but the way we're looking and the way GT is looking, it shouldn't take too long to accomplish that.

Jan 29, 2021, 8:55 AM

Wrong. You must be 10 years old! lol. Clemson and GT had fierce battles many times over the decades. GT along with FSU and NCState are CU's best rivals in the ACC and GT is a southern school with a southern heritage going back to their SEC days and they actually care about football way more than some of the other ACC schools. While it my not be very competitive at the moment rivalries go through ebbs and flows. I don't give a crap about more games with likes of those wannabe's in Blacksburg or Pitt or UVA.

if you've been to a game there you realize they

Jan 29, 2021, 9:03 AM

at the current time do not care about football. Times change and we must be willing to change with them instead of when they were in the SEC. That was what 1964 when they were last in the SEC? We were only a few years out of being in the southern conf ourselves. Welcome to 2021. It's a new era.

Jan 29, 2021, 9:05 AM

I would say when we tip the overall wins record in our favor. Currently Ga Tech holds a large lead at 50-33-2. So in about 20 years we should be good.

Message was edited by: RunJumpCatch®

They are a rival & for over a decade the best one we had.

Jan 29, 2021, 9:53 AM

We have played them 85 times. Check.

They have a dominating lead in the all-time series. Check

Over the last 32 years we are 18-15 against them. Check

From 1997 to 2009 they went 10-4 against us. Check

The ruined our 2000 streak. They ruined our 2004 season in freakish fashion. They broke our hearts in 2009... twice. That whole Atlanta streak was maddening.

They have a 15 game winning streak and a 10 game winning streak against us.

We have a six game streak on them.... that's it. We have a long way to go.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They are a rival & for over a decade the best one we had.

Feb 1, 2021, 3:16 PM

All this. All this is why I hate them so much.

Jan 29, 2021, 10:14 AM

A personal story about the GT/Clemson rivalry.

My dad had two uncles who were grads of GT. Hence, GT was my second favorite team growing up. In fact, in the early 60's (Bobby Dodd era) it was my favorite team because FSU was just a new football program that nobody knew about, playing a schedule consisting of teams such as Richmond, William and Mary and the Citadel.

Well in 1969 Clemson beat GT. My dad had a friend who was a Clemson grad and who lived just across the street from us. After the game was over (not on TV, not on radio, he just got the score) and a few beers, he literally staggered across the street to our house and was crying.

My dad opened the door and the man said, "I never thought I would live long enough to see Clemson beat Georgia Tech again."

The two schools didn't play every year, but they played quite often. The last time they had beaten GT before 1969 was 1945. Until 1973 GT fans considered Clemson an automatic win on the schedule.

Scroll down to game results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson%E2%80%93Georgia_Tech_football_rivalry

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2021, 10:28 AM

We should not stop it until we have more wins in the all-time series.

Jan 29, 2021, 12:22 PM

Not sure how big of a deal this is, but a weird little factoid about the Clemson-tech rivalry is that since tech joined the ACC 40 some-odd years ago, they have beaten us only once after having lost to you guys earlier in that season (all but one of their wins vs us came after beating y'all).
In other words, every year but one, when y'all beat them, that has guaranteed that we also beat them.

On the flip side, the times they have beaten y'all, they have beaten us in about half of those years.

Kind of a weird bell-weather game for us.

I disagree, it's definitely a rivalry. More of a friendly

Jan 29, 2021, 1:07 PM

and respectful one rather than an angry one these days, but still a rivalry nonetheless.

Two great engineering schools that have been playing each other a long time, within a couple hours of one another in the same conference = rivalry.

Don't forget how competitive the series has been until very recently. Prior to that, they routinely kicked our butts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 30, 2021, 12:17 PM

Not trying to squelch anything, but I'd rather keep playing Tech for awhile. If we can just win the next 19 games in a row against them, we can even the series.

At this rate, another 19 in a row is not infeasible***

Feb 1, 2021, 3:15 PM

Jan 30, 2021, 12:59 PM

Don’t think anyone mentioned the 1996-2001 streak of 3 point games. That was nuts.

404 Is Valuable Recruiting Area

Jan 30, 2021, 1:08 PM

Atlanta area has players

Jan 30, 2021, 1:19 PM

They're definitely a rival. Clemson-GT didn't start in 2015.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 3:21 PM

We need 18 games to take a lead in the series, so maybe late 2030’s?

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic