Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When To Go For 2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

When To Go For 2

Nov 6, 2020, 11:48 PM

They just replayed this at halftime of the BYU/Boise St game. I wish our coaches had seen this prior to the Boston College game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ibvt_XlGL_Y

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When To Go For 2

Nov 6, 2020, 11:51 PM

At the end of the game when you absolutely have to. More Coaches Blow games by “chasing Points”.

Nov 7, 2020, 12:02 AM

I don't have a problem with "chasing points" when you feel like you have momentum.

But it's silly to do it like we did last week: trying to turn a 3-point lead into 5, or a 4-point lead into 6, so early that the spread could change.

DO: turn a 1-point lead into 3.
A 5-point lead into 7.
And possibly a 7-point lead into 9.

Nov 7, 2020, 12:08 AM

And then right after I posted this BYU tried to go for 2 to make a 22-3 game 24-3. The conversion got called back on a penalty and they had to kick a long extra point.

Nov 7, 2020, 12:33 AM

Just before the end of Happy Hour.

Nov 7, 2020, 3:16 AM

Danny Ford did not use that chart that most coaches use. His philosophy was you go for two in the last half of the fourth quarter if you’re behind but getting closer and by going for two you can tie with a field goal or a touchdown so you only go for it when you’re getting close to the end of the game and you’re behind and you absolutely have to have it.

I have never been a fan of going for two until like Ford believed you’re getting close to the end of the game and you really really need it. Because it just totally kills your momentum and puts a bummer on getting a big touchdown and totally changes the atmosphere & mood and it’s like all of a sudden the other side wins even though you won because you got a touchdown. You have the emotional edge but you give it away by going for two. Then more times than not now you see teams having to chase points.

I have lost track of how many games over the years I have seen where a team loses by one point because at some point they went for two and failed and had they simply kicked extra points after every touchdown at the end of the game they would’ve been tied or they would have won. It’s just not a good idea it’s a bad idea for a lot of reasons to go for two!

And I definitely don’t think you should go for two when you’re the heavy favorite especially playing at home early in a game even if you’re behind because it gives the other team confidence and makes the other team I think that you’re scared and playing scared and think that you’re gonna need every single point rather than thinking we’re going to come back and blow these guys out.

I’m just not a fan and I think if you look at the history of it the record will prove it’s a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

Nov 7, 2020, 4:20 AM

This ^^

A laminated card or analytics is a stupid approach to an actual in-game situation with variables that don’t apply to every situation used to create the odds of getting a 2 point conversion.

Nov 7, 2020, 7:09 AM [ in reply to Re: When To Go For 2 ]

Down by 6 with two minutes to go inside the 5, do you kick a field goal or try to score a touchdown?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2020, 7:27 AM

Whatever Dabo says, his record backs it up! The best almost 6 year stretch ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Nov 7, 2020, 7:36 AM

Dabo is also one of the most “humble” coaches in the profession. He is one of the first to admit when he has made the wrong decision so we all know he isn’t perfect. Do you think Dabo brings up his wins and losses with his coaches during timeouts before they make big decisions?

I don't like it in games where there are likely to be multiple

Nov 7, 2020, 7:24 AM

scores before the game ends. Like I thought it was pretty pointless to do it in the title game against LSU last year early in the 3rd Q to make it 28-25. I feel like losing the point there is more harmful than getting the extra point is beneficial. We did convert that one and then it ended up not mattering because LSU scored the final 2 TDs, but that's just one example of doing it too early IMO.

If you are down 8 in the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter it's probably correct to try to tie the game by going for 2. On the other hand, if you are down 14-6 in the 2nd Q because you missed an XP or something, I would always kick and take the 14-13.

Of course if you are really good at converting them and/or it's kind of your schtick (Chip Kelly Oregon) then it can make sense to do it at any point.

Re: I don't like it in games where there are likely to be multiple

Nov 7, 2020, 1:49 PM

I felt we did it then to communicate to our team, "We're in a dog fight, and we're going to leave everything on the field. No holding back!"

The number of points was irrelevant.

Or he might have been telling his defense, "I'm confident we're going to get stops now." Again, the number of points was irrelevant .

Nov 7, 2020, 9:37 AM

I thought most coaches had a plan for when to go for 1,2 a field goal etc. They used to talk about that back in the 80's and how Vince Dooley always had the plan in his head based on the game situation and never strayed from it.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic