Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Did You Attend Your First College Football Game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

When Did You Attend Your First College Football Game?

Aug 19, 2019, 3:13 PM

My first college football game was in 1927. I had just entered the first grade. My Dad took me and my older brother to a game in Gainesville, a ride of 16 miles, to see the Florida Gators play somebody. I had to Google to find out the schedule. They played only three games in Gainesville that year and their opponents were Florida Southern, Davidson and Mercer I don't remember any details about the game, not even the opponent or whether the Gators won or lost. The only thing I remember was it cost my Dad ten cents for my ticket. I also remember getting something to eat in the Florida Union because I thought that was a big deal. For the next several years he would take me and my older brother to at least one or two games each year.

The record shows that in 1927 Davidson beat the Gators 12 - 0. Florida and Clemson were at that time in the Southern Conference and there were 22 teams in the conference. The Gators had a winning record in the conference as well as overall. They defeated Alabama 13 - 6 and Wallace Wade was the Alabama coach at that time. Clemson went 2 - 2 - 0 in the conference and had a 5 - 3 -1 season record.

Harold Sebring was the coach at Florida and the Gators used the Notre Dame Box formation. Attendance at the Davidson game was about 7,000 and for the Mercer game, 9,000 cheering fans were there.

My Dad was a big sports fan and one of the few men in my home town that attended the U. of Fla. games, He got me interested in reading the sports pages of the Florida Times Union as soon as I learned how to read. He was a big fan of Knute Rockne of Notre Dame.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Early September of 1954

Aug 19, 2019, 3:20 PM

but I was just a little shaver.....my Dad thought I was old enough to behave in a crowd....I purposely never asked him if I actually did behave cuz behaving badly in front of Dad was NEVER a wise idea....but I'm sure I cheered the Tigers on when everyone else was cheering

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When Did You Attend Your First College Football Game?

Aug 19, 2019, 3:22 PM

I think 1968. I would have been between 9 and 12 months old.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 3:23 PM

Incidentally, both of my boys went to their first Clemson game at about 6 months old. I don't think they remember.

Aug 19, 2019, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: When Did You Attend Your First College Football Game? ]

Me too...born late 1967...
My First game 1974 Clemson 7
NC State 3

Aug 19, 2019, 3:27 PM

1984 Willie Brice.Coots played the Pirates of East Carolina. Been a Tiger fan since 1978. My best friend, at the time, was a coot fan and his pops had season tickets.

Aug 19, 2019, 3:34 PM

1980 Clemson v. Western Carolina

Aug 19, 2019, 3:35 PM

Vs. Duke in 1980. Clemson lost but I was only 12 years old and the large stadium and crowd overwhelmed me. The atmosphere was incredible and I was hooked for life. I remember the toiler paper coming down from the upper deck, South Stands. I couldn't wait to get back but it was several years later. I am not going to deprive MfOjr. He has already been to six games and he's only eight. He is ready for this year!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1972 Clemson vs UNC.***

Aug 19, 2019, 3:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1965 Senior Bowl

Aug 19, 2019, 3:55 PM

It was a 'home' game in Mobile! ;)

The Bama-Clemson game in '67 was my first official college game...but, I was smack dab in the middle of the IPTAY section yelling my head off for the Tide...while my step-dad cowered! LOL!

I corrected myself come '73! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 3:55 PM

The first game of the season in 1977 vs Maryland...it was a loss but a lot of great times after that

Aug 19, 2019, 4:35 PM

That was mine too! I was 14.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: When Did You Attend Your First College Football Game? ]

This was mine too. I was 6 years old. Had a Give Em Hell Pell flag from that game for a long time. Not sure where it got to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was around 1963, maybe 1964 - can't remember for sure....

Aug 19, 2019, 3:56 PM

but I can remember how different DV was and looked back in those days!

Re: It was around 1963, maybe 1964 - can't remember for sure....

Aug 19, 2019, 4:01 PM

1971 Georgia game, not a good start for first game - 0-28 final score bad guys.

Aug 19, 2019, 3:58 PM

1948 (Age 9) ... Tennessee (Bert Retchichar & Hank Lauracella) vs North Carolina (Charlie Justice) in Knoxville. Didn't know there were that many people in the whole world.

Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

Aug 19, 2019, 4:48 PM

I remember Hank and "Choo Choo". Those two were excellent players. It seemed to me that "Choo Choo" played at North Carolina about as long as Renfrew played for Clemson.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 5:04 PM

My dad used to talk about Charlie “Choo Choo” Justice.

Aug 20, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: When Did You Attend Your First College Football Game? ]

1970 - Clemson vs. Citadel. Always had to listen on the radio before then. That was the beginning of something special.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 4:09 PM

Mine was homecoming in The Valley 1989. Don't remember much (except the floats) but my dad gave me a number 21 Clemson jersey before we left to go to the game. I was, and still am, a Terry Allen superfan. I still have the jersey and got TA to sign it while he was on staff a Clemson.

Aug 19, 2019, 4:11 PM

September 30, 1969, my first year at Clemson, Coach Howard's last year as Head Coach. We played Georgia and got slammed 30-zip. We slipped in a fifth of Bicardi's 151 so I really don't recall the game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 4:26 PM

I think it was about 1949 . went to death valley with cub scouts . Tigers beat P C Blue Hose about 50 points . I had been puling for tigers since I was about 4 because my Grandpa did .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 4:29 PM

An 80's classic 1987 Clemson vs UGA. I sat with my Aunt Uncle and cousin behind the goal in the west stands when Treadwell kicked the winner 21-20. I didn't get to go another game until Hatfield's debut in 1990 when my High School Band ran the concessions in the west stands.

1971 - Maryland v. Clemson

Aug 19, 2019, 4:34 PM

My grandfather (Clemson class of 1924) took me.

I was 8 years old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

1967 - Duke vs UNC

Aug 19, 2019, 4:55 PM

I was 4 years old, my sister was 7. My dad was a UNC grad, but we were living in Durham at the time. We sat on the home side at Duke Stadium (renamed Wallace Wade in ‘68) surrounded by Duke fans. My sister and I chanted, “yay Carolina, booooo Duke” for hours. We must have been incredibly irritating.

Aug 19, 2019, 4:54 PM

Sept 1970 as a freshman at Clemson vs the Citadel. Also my first game marching in Tigerband.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Aug 19, 2019, 5:04 PM

About 1961 or 1962. A big Thursday game in Columbia. Tigers won, of course, but don’t remember the score. My Dad was given tickets by a salesman.

Aug 19, 2019, 5:33 PM

1985. Temple Owls game in Philly, and I can't even remember their opponent.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Believe it was 1954 of all places at

Aug 19, 2019, 5:37 PM

Carolina Stadium (now Willy B) in Columbia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USC-UCLA around '67

Aug 19, 2019, 5:38 PM

I think it was at the coliseum but it could have been the rose bowl, they look alike

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sept. 8, 1979 - Danny Ford's first full year as head coach***

Aug 19, 2019, 6:01 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Aug 19, 2019, 6:22 PM

My first game, though I had yet to be born, was the 1982 Orange Bowl. I believe that game carries some significance. I was born in August of 82.

Aug 19, 2019, 6:28 PM

Tulane @ Louisville 1973

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 6:58 PM

Ninth grade as a high school band member fir Band Day at University of Miami of Ohio. They packed us in tight and had at least 20 bands that covered the field These were not small bands. I was one of fourteen trombone players in our band from Lebanon Ohio. There were bands from Cincy to Dayton in attendance. I think the Redskins won that game.

Sometime in the late 50’s. Our parents went

Aug 19, 2019, 6:59 PM

And let me and my cousins play on the hill during the games. Developed a life long love affair for everything Clemson.

1981 UGAy at Clemson

Aug 19, 2019, 7:00 PM

No TDs for Hershel Walker...he never scored one on Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was my gf's (at the time) first college football game,

Aug 20, 2019, 4:50 PM

she was an immigrant from new york, she was quite shocked at the whole experience.

Aug 19, 2019, 7:02 PM

1961. I was three.

My story is a little different than most, I suspect. I grew

Aug 19, 2019, 7:17 PM

up on a real farm, and going to college football games was NOT on any agenda. Since I had an older sister and brother who both graduated from South Carolina, I grew up a default Coot fan. But, when my time came for college, wanting to major in Chemical Engineering, I knew it would have to be Clemson. (Parents were not going to pay any out of state tuition, and Cooterville had a nada reputation as an Engineering school.)

So, I applied to only one school, Clemson, in 1972. I had good grades and super SAT scores, so I was not worried about being accepted. (If I knew then what I know now, I WOULD have been worried!) But, I got in, no problem. Football season rolls around, and I say, well, I'll go to the games, just to see what college football is all about, but I won't really be able to bring myself to root for Clemson.

Well, folks that lasted for about 25 seconds. As soon I saw "The Most Exciting 25 Seconds in College Football" for the first time, I was hooked. Rain or shine, I never missed a game in the 4 years I was there, even though we only had one winning season during that time. My blood had turned orange, and still is today, more than ever.

So, my first Clemson game was 1972 vs The Citadel. I remember our head cheerleader affectionately referring to them as The Yard Apes. We won, 13-0. Season record was 4-7, but 3 of the 4 wins were at home. Go Tigers!

Aug 19, 2019, 7:35 PM

Clemson

Aug 20, 2019, 8:31 AM

1st home game of 1969 Sept 27 vs Georgia (our openning game was Sept 20 at UVA). That was my 1st Clemson game. I was a fan but didn't have anyone to take me. I had been to a couple UofSC games in Columbia in early 60s (I remember Dan Reeves at QB) with the scouts (bought a Clemson pennant, they had them for all ACC schools) and about 1 UofSC per year during high school. They had 1 player from my high school and another that had a family connection.

Aug 19, 2019, 8:52 PM

An older cousin and his wife took me to the 1959 game against Wake. Recall he paid 10 cents for my admission. Thing remembered most is the Tigers scored the winning TD with about 2 mins left on the clock to make the final 33-31. Believe both Shingler and Harvey White played QB. Wake QB was Norm Snead who passed for 1,361 yds that season (national leader had 1,963) and led the nation in 1960 with 1,676. Next week, went to the Furman game at G'ville's Sirrine Stadium where the Tigers won 56-3 which was the next to last time the Tigers played there. Last was the '62 season that I also attended.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

September 18,1965 - NCSt

Aug 19, 2019, 9:09 PM

We won 21-7 I think but highlight was that it was the end of Rat Season. That was the longest month of my life to that point - maybe as long as most months I spent in Nam

Re: September 18,1965 - NCSt

Aug 19, 2019, 11:32 PM

1957 Big Thursday. Was in third grade and Dad took me out early. Clemson won. Got to attend 3 Big Thursdays before they quit them and went to home and home. Very different from today. Men and women all dressed up in dress clothes. Saw many fights start in top of stands and move toward the bottom before they broke them up. Probably more drunks than today or so it seemed to an 8 year old.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 4:53 AM

1976 Clemson and Duke tied 18-18. It was also my first time to tailgate. What a great time I had. Sat almost in the same area as I was when I attended the FSU puntruskie game. I was near the Westend Zone in the south stands in the lower deck.

1959 - The Last "Big Thursday " Game - I was 6

Aug 20, 2019, 5:16 AM

My Grandmother, not having any idea what she was asking for, asked my father to get me tickets to the Clemson vs. SC game for my birthday. Luckily he was able to get two from Bob Bradley and I got to see my first game. After that I never missed a Clemson home game until I moved out of town for business.

Big Thursday, 1955

Aug 20, 2019, 7:59 AM

I was 5. My Mom's cousin was playing for SC and the whole family attended the game. Clemson won!

I lived in Florida in the middle 60s and attended several games in the GatorBowl. I was a Boy Scout and by serving as an usher, got in free. I remember those games well.

In 1967 I was at Clemson for Homecoming and saw the Tigers beat a winless Maryland team. In 68 I was a freshman and saw all the home games. My first road game as a student was the Georgia game that year, memorable for Ritchie Luzzi's 108 yard TD return of a short field goal attempt. I watched that game from the railroad tracks that ran near and above the end of the Sanford Stadium way back when. I've seen most of the games in person since then. I wish I could say I had a really long streak of never missing a game, but that's not the case, though I have had season tickets since 1978.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 11:13 AM

RA Day at Furman 1988. I think it was '88 anyways. I remember having a great time, rained buckets! have had a soft affinity for the paladins since.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:15 PM

'05 Clemson vs. Duke. Barely remember it because I was 4, but fun, fell in love with Clemson ever since.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:53 PM

I think it was '64 against the yardbirds. My brother was student trainer for football, baseball and
basketball, so he got a sideline pass for me. It was like being in the midst of superheroes to me and I have been hooked ever since. Only downer was the bad guys scored late on a long bomb to win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 1:08 PM

My uncle's freshman year at QB. I was three.

https://youtu.be/-enRuvCfADc

Message was edited by: Roundhouse1313®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 8:44 PM

My uncle's freshman year at QB. I was three.

https://youtu.be/-enRuvCfADc

Message was edited by: Roundhouse1313®

Thanks. Before my time, but pretty neat to see. Also enjoyed hearing Bob Fulton's voice on the call.

Aug 20, 2019, 2:45 PM

It was a Saturday, mid-day. Tigers and Citadel. I was 8 or 9, so there.

Aug 20, 2019, 3:05 PM

Clemson @ Duke - 1989. I was in WW for my first game, lived in Raleigh at the time.

I respect Spurrier.... but dang, he has given me more personal grief. Attended Clemson '06-'12

Worse I WAS a Washington Redskin fan too...

Aug 20, 2019, 3:25 PM

1977 in Gainesville versus Kentucky. One of Doug Dickey’s last games

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 7:22 PM

Somewhere around 1969 at Carolina Stadium. Before it was Williams Brice. My dad worked across the street from the stadium at Pet Dairy. He got tickets for free (of course). I was only 7 and don't know who the played. Probably lost.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Aug 20, 2019, 8:09 PM

I'm somewhere in that same time frame in the same stadium. But for me it was probably about '70 or '71. I can recall the east side upper deck wasn't there then and you could see the big State Paper logo on top of the building.

Back then there just wasn't a big risk of people stealing your children, so even as a little tyke I was able to run through the concourse with my older brother. In those days the Carolina players entered the field from the south endzone. They would exit the locker room and line up underneath the south stands. I can remember the clickity-clack of their cleats on the concrete and the way they seemed larger than life to me up close.

The cheerleaders drove out onto the sideline in a little truck with wooden siderails, loaded down with bundles of garnet and black pom-poms on a stick. They handed them out to the fans.

Message was edited by: SamuraiTater®

First Tiger home game of 1968! My freshman year!

Aug 20, 2019, 9:18 PM

I don't even remember who we played that game!

Aug 20, 2019, 9:52 PM

That makes Joe21 about 98?! Lordy, good job. We should all chip in and buy you season tickets!

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic