Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What’s the answer to fixing our running game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

What’s the answer to fixing our running game

Oct 25, 2020, 8:45 AM

Ettiene is the only one able to consistently get yards on the ground. Mostly because he’s so talented he makes yards when there none there to get. Dixon and the others struggle significantly to run the ball. Because for whatever reason run blocking is our offensive lines weakness. To me that is the only thing keeping us from being the best offense in the country. We have to find that Dominant running attack or really good defenses will make us one dimensional. So how do we fix the run game for good teams like Notre dame and headed into playoff season? Maybe we start using the Qb in the running game to take a little pressure off the passing game. Hopefully the offensive line meshes. We don’t play Alabama tomorrow we got time. But we got to beat Notre Dame that’s the path to the playoffs. Notre Dame and probably UNC in the Acc championship game but I of course believe we beat both teams

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

have issues with push in the middle of the line

Oct 25, 2020, 8:50 AM

way too many 3rd and long, not formula for success

Re: What’s the answer to fixing our running game

Oct 25, 2020, 8:52 AM

Dixon ran well in the first half yesterday. Next year the oline will be older. Minus Carman which will be a significant loss. I think the run game is in great shape.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 8:56 AM

Also we are averaging 176yrds per game on the ground. Soooo not too shabby there.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: What’s the answer to fixing our running game ]

Carmen will be back next year. He will be a late round pick or not even drafted at all. His stock has really fallen this year.

Oct 25, 2020, 2:41 PM

Carmen's already slotted as an NFL.com early 2nd round pick. Where are you getting info? Making it up?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 3:14 PM

I forget where I saw it but I saw that too. Carmen’s draft stock has fallen. If he keeps getting beat it will fall more. I’m not sure that will cause him to come back because someone will be in his ear to go through with the draft.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 3:20 PM

I swear sometimes I think he has more penalties than the rest of the OL combined. He has been holding a lot this year. Unfortunately, a lot of times when he gets called for a hold it’s when the play is going the other direction and there’s no reason for him to hold. We have had several big plays called back that went to the right Because of him holding when his man had no chance at impacting the play!

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Oct 25, 2020, 9:09 AM

Pass on first down a few times per game to keep teams from loading the box on first down.

Oct 25, 2020, 9:19 AM

More running play calls would make that take care of itself, but then we'd be complaining about the passing game.
Trust the coaches. They know what's going on.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 25, 2020, 2:43 PM

TE is RB coach ...

Oct 25, 2020, 10:01 AM

I don't care who you are, when a team loads the box- it is hard to run.
We are very lucky to have one of, if not the best running back in the country.
I am not question the questioning the playing calling of Coach E, He is the one making all the money, but it seems this year no matter what the score there are several times- it has been three passing plays and then punt, no matter what the score is or field position. It just seems he is becoming predictable.

Oct 25, 2020, 10:10 AM

It's not really on the backs. The offensive line is really struggling right now. Clemson is #35 in yards per carry at the moment, compared to #1 last year and #2 the year before. Everyone's ypc is down this year, with Etienne averaging almost 2 yards less per carry than the last two years, and 1 yard less per carry than in 2017 as a true freshman. I don't think it's Lyn-J's fault as so many want to say, nor any other backs. Ultimately, the offensive line has a lot of talent (even Cade, who I know people are really down on), but completely lack experience/cohesion. Clemson had one of, if not the, most experienced lines the last couple of years. Only Carman has that experience (no idea what his issue has been this year, considering he owned Chase Young last year).

I do wonder why we're not giving the freshmen more snaps. The entire left side of our line are gone this year or next, so will have to go through the experience phase again. I think rotating in more offensive linemen would help age the freshmen up some so that miss isn't felt as strongly.

Oct 25, 2020, 10:31 AM

The splits are too tight. Add another 6 to 12 inches and spread it out a little more.

Oct 25, 2020, 11:14 AM

We're already getting beat by the blitz packages on passing downs. If we open up the line splits, it'll make it easier on passing downs for the opponent to get to the QB. If we keep tight splits on passing dons and open the splits on running downs, we might as well hold up a sign that says "We're gonna run it!"

The answer on running downs is for each OL to find his man and get on him. We're not playing with enough violent intent.

Oct 25, 2020, 11:26 AM

This! We must become the hammer and stop being the nail!

Oct 25, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: What’s the answer to fixing our running game ]

It’s no different than watching our tight end. Everywhere he goes the ball goes on running plays.

Improved blocking and some success in downfield passing

Oct 25, 2020, 11:24 AM

to move defenders away from the line of scrimage.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In A Word

Oct 25, 2020, 2:30 PM

Recruiting.

Oct 25, 2020, 3:17 PM

Blocking. Most of the time, our run blocking is not there. 3rd and 4, we're throwing the ball. When we do occasionally block well for the run, amazing things happen.

Oct 25, 2020, 3:17 PM

Osterine or playing your coots will make our run game look wonderful!

Oct 25, 2020, 3:19 PM

I didn't know it was broke.

Oct 25, 2020, 3:29 PM

Dixon has actually ran pretty well this year. ETN is not doing bad either. He just needs more carries.

The problem with the running game is a combination of too many penalties putting us in long yardage situations, especially after picking up a big play and a first down.

Another problem with the running game is we don’t stick to it! Great running backs get most of their yardage in the second half of the third quarter and the fourth quarter when other teams have gotten tired. People used to ##### about Danny Ford handing the ball off over and over and over in the first half. But what that does is it wears out the defense. Then later in the game the defense is tired and the run game can take over and you can score on big plays as well as Setting up the play action pass better as well as being able to control the clock and control the game in the fourth quarter.

For a run game to work effectively you have to stick to it. You have to pound it! And we have the backs to do it we just put too much pressure on the passing game and TL.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Oct 25, 2020, 3:30 PM

we have been missing on far too many backs, that is the issue and has been since Burton Burns left way back when. Melussi and Dukes were wasted scholarships, IMHO. I am not sold on Shiply as the top back in the country, he is lightning in a bottle but seems limited. He is calibrated more like a slot receiver and I imagine that is where he ends up. Mafa looks to be the real deal, but we will not know until we get him on campus but he could have been a big time get for this class. I have not seen enough out of Pace to make a judgement.

Long Story short, we will miss ETN next year and I do not see any 2 backs on campus that can replace him. We can not expect more than 10-12 carries out of Dixon next year, after that? I would not be surprised if Uiagalelei is our top rusher.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you think there are so many passes to the flat?

Oct 25, 2020, 4:57 PM

Teams are stacking the box so ETN doesn't beat them. Passing game has to improve. Too many drops and penalties. Another WR besides Rogers needs to step up.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic