Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's On TV?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

What's On TV?

Jan 8, 2021, 3:43 PM

I turn on my TV and start surfing through the channels in hopes of finding something of interest. Most of the time there is nothing that piques my interest so I turn it off and find something else to do. Recently, I found a program on the National Geographic channel that caught my attention. I believe the name of the program is "LIFE BELOW ZERO". It's documentary about people living in Alaska and how they manage their everyday activities. What amazed me is the amount of equipment these people have but it appears no one has an outside job. Maybe National Geographic pays them something. Their houses are very crude and it appears their homesteads are quite far from any town or small city. They are near rivers and streams and fishing is excellent. Meat comes from caribou, bear, other wild animals and one even feasted on beaver. Their lifestyle is a challenge and how they cope with the situation is mazing. One has to know how to deal with all sorts of problems.

Do any of you ever watch this program?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's On TV?

Jan 8, 2021, 3:53 PM

Yes. Really interesting how they live without apparent means to support their lifestyle. I tried to do that when I was discharged from the Army in 1970. Lived at Myrtle Beach for about 6 months.
Almost starved to death. Ran out of money. Had to get a job. It was a good life event, but a very short one due to lack of funds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 3:54 PM

I did watch a little before the holidays. Sometimes they bring in some heavy stuff- wood or metal - so they must have a truck to drive to the nearest town/outpost to purchase some necessities. Pretty interesting though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 4:58 PM

Those kind of channels are all that I watch except for sporting events. Nat Geo has great shows. I was especially fond of mystery of the museum but I don’t think it comes on any more. Even the aliens shows are more interesting than these foolish sitcoms. I can sit and watch programs about the pyramids and Aztec ruins all night. Nothing like a good spy novel and a glass of wine to fill my evening

Jan 8, 2021, 5:46 PM

Those people in Alaska are tougher than me. I could probably live like that for about a week and I would loading up the truck to come back to the Lower 48.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 9:24 PM

I spent three months during the summer of 1967 conducting as stude for the US Department of Agriculture. The objective of the study was to determine whether the Agricultural potential was sufficient to justify the level of federal expenditures at that time. In rhe process of gathering data and information I interviewed a homesteader out in the shadow of Mount McKinley. At that time the only way to make contact was by “ Muckluck” radio that broadcast messages every evening. A professor from the University of Alaska and I left Ankorage early one morning, without knowing whether or not he got our message to meet us at a cafe in Talkitner, a small village with an airfield where the Mountain climbers leave to ascend McKinley.
When we got to the cafe he sitting there waiting for us. With a huge dog, a cross between a Great Dane and a Saint Bernard. We had breakfast and headed down to the river that ran parallel to the airstrip. Got in his boat and headed out .The current was extremely swift and half way across the small outboard motor cut off. We quickly floated into a sand bar. The dog jumped out. The homesteader was frantically trying to start the motor, all the time yelling, “ Get in the boat Siegfried, get in the boat Siegfried”. The motor came to life and we gradually overcame the rapid flow and mage our way to the other side of the river. There we climbed into his truck and headed of into the wilderness.
The homestead was composed of 49 acres which was planted in Barley.
We had planned to see his operation and conduct a thourough interview and go back to Ankorage that afternoon,but the sun was shining and he said that he had to harvest the grain. He rolls out a 12 foot combine and started to work.Of course he had a tractor and associates equipment. Talk about over capitalization.
Well we had to stay the knight,sleeping on old army cots with a blanket. He had bought seiners and baked beans for dinner. As he cleaned the plates he took a filthy looking towel and wiped the plates and put them on the shelf. At that moment I was thinking that I really don’t want breakfast in the morning. But we had bacon,eggs, and toast and headed home.
The homesteader had completed his studies for the PhD at Purdue but didn’t complete the desertstio but worked for the experiment .station in Palmer during the winter. Now I found out he could afford all the heavy equipment..he told us proudly about shooting a bear through the window in his log cabin.. when asked how he got the equipment into such a remote are he said that he brought it in during the winter while the river was frozen over.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 9:38 PM

Yes, seems as if most of shows I watch days are based in Alaska

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 9:40 PM

I think all Alaskans get some annual oil subsidy payment

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 9:52 PM

Joe, I would recommend "Hogan's Heroes" but apparently I've seen all episodes several times so I
know nothing .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2021, 3:39 PM

I've seen every episode of "Hogan's Heroes" several times but I still watch them.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 10:03 PM

I've seen a couple of Alaska shows in the past. They're interesting and definitely not a lifestyle I would choose for myself.

We setled on SEC gymnastics tonight, finding it pretty easy to support LSU against Arkansas and Missouri against Georgia. (Go Tigers). Those girls can crack their ribs on the balance beam and finish their routine without missing a beat. No medical tent for these tiny but tough athletes!

Watch the GOAT tonight at 8:15. Brady and the Bucs.

Jan 9, 2021, 5:32 PM

Brady up against Chase Young (Ohio ST) and the Washington Football Team. Should be a good one!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

absolutely Joe... I watch Nat Geo & Smithsonian channels

Jan 9, 2021, 5:48 PM

more than anything else... otherwise I look for a documentary on Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. Whoever mentioned Mysteries at the Museum... I'm with ya, brother. That show was almost always fascinating...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Jan 9, 2021, 5:57 PM

I have started watching LBZ. It's a good show. The guy with the 2 young kids, I was wondering where his wife was so I googled him and that led me to Google the rest of the cast. Turns out a lot of them are not as isolated as Nat Geo portrays. They have to have other income to afford some the equipment they have.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2021, 8:01 PM

I watched The Nepoleanic Wars earlier. Really good movie made in 1970. NFL now but not much of interest otherwise

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2021, 12:59 PM

A little hesitant to suggest this....

but if any of you appreciate architectural history, could use a good laugh, and are proud DIYers -
check out HGTV's 'Escape to the Chateau'.

The begining episodes are available on demand, so watch several before you make up your mind. It has a way of making you wonder what's going to happen next. For sure no small undertaking!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic