Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What would our football record last year of been with Hunter Johnson instead of Kelly Bryant?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

What would our football record last year of been with Hunter Johnson instead of Kelly Bryant?

Aug 26, 2018, 12:59 PM

This is just a hypothetical fun question that absolutely means nothing. But if Hunter Johnson was our starting Qb would our record be the same 12-2 or better or worse?

I think we would of finished 15-0 National champions. Because Hunter Johnson would have gotten better as the year went on. And would have given us a more vertical passing game to beat Alabama. Of course just my opinion. We will never know the answer just for fun to ask

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would our football record last year of been with Hunter Johnson instead of Kelly Bryant?

Aug 26, 2018, 1:03 PM

He wasn't ready all season better at the end.9-3 regular season

I would go with this.

Aug 26, 2018, 1:06 PM

You could tell he wasn’t ahead of KB in the SC and Miami games. The coaches made the right choice. What people need to remember is that Cole Stoudt had some impressive garbage time numbers behind Boyd too. Not that I’m comparing HJ with Cole but garbage time is not a great way to gauge a QB. I will say this though and that is I think HJ has and has always had more arm talent than KB but that doesn’t mean he should’ve started last year. If he would’ve stayed I think he could’ve passed KB on the depth chart this year though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would our football record last year of been with Hunter Johnson instead of Kelly Bryant?

Aug 26, 2018, 1:08 PM

8-4

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worse. Would have lost to State and

Aug 26, 2018, 1:12 PM

maybe VT also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worse. Would have lost to State and

Aug 26, 2018, 1:45 PM

So you picked Kelly Bryant's two worst passing completion percentage games of the regular season and came up with we'd lose them not having him?

Two great running games for him.***

Aug 26, 2018, 1:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two great running games for him.***

Aug 26, 2018, 2:03 PM

He didn't score a single rushing TD in the VT game. I hope you aren't being serious. His part was mainly just keeping plays alive. 94 yards but no rushing TD's. Might have been a better game for Feaster, he did have a rushing score and a receiving score. Kelly Bryant's only passing TD in that game was a 17 or so yard pass to Feaster, which ran it afterwards over half the field....you ask me, Feaster should get the majority of the credit on that score. Then Feaster and Fuller had a rushing TD each, then Dorian O'Daniel had a pick 6.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:09 PM

Actually Justin Fuente said that KB was the difference in the VT game.

"He was the difference in the football game when it's all said and done. Made a couple of nice throws and a couple of nice runs."

But what does someone whose produced two NFL QBs know about the position.

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Inside-the-Interviews-Clemson-and-VT-players-and-coaches-on-Clemsons-win-16249

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:13 PM

Fuente didn't say that, for the record, their coordinator is who said it. Check other write ups. Fuente said the difference was the defense. And the coordinator just credited him for keeping plays alive. The stats show the reality. His only passing score was mostly run by Feaster, the rest of the scores were Feaster, Fuller, and O'Daniel.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Two great running games for him.*** ]

Fuente's part:
https://www.diehards.com/virginia-tech/justin-fuente-said-virginia-tech-clemson

Foster's part:
https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/football/a-post-game-wrap-clemson-virginia-tech/article_b5056f2e-a663-11e7-aa73-23480b7dd518.html

Foster also says he thought KB threw the ball better than previous games too... Though it was actually his second lowest completions of the regular season. For what his opinion is worth to the reality.

Sounds more to me like a coordinator who was prideful in his #15 rushing defense not wanting to admit the RB's did him in.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:28 PM

So Foster, one of the best defensive coordinators in the game, still said KB was the difference. Using your logic Andre Ellington who rushed for 220 yards against Auburn in 2012 wasn't the difference maker because he didn't get into the endzone. Also you must be willing to admit KB was the difference in the 2017 Auburn game because he scored our only TDs. You really do have a knack for trying to trash Clemson players and its ####### disgusting.

"He was the difference in the football game, when it’s all said and done. With their offense, made a couple nice throws and made a couple nice runs and he had an impressive game. I was impressed by his athletic ability all the way around.”

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:33 PM

I'm not trashing him. I'm telling the real stats.... And unlike you, I know what coach said what.

He credited him for basically getting out of situations they thought they had him... The defense was there, but he got free. You might want to reread what he's saying. He's not saying KB was why they lost, he's saying he thinks he made the biggest difference in his defense not being successful at what they called, because he found a way to make a play out of a shot where they could have tackled him. I'm not saying he didn't do that... He did... But he was not responsible for most of the score. That's fact, whether you can bring yourself to see it or not. Unbury head from sand.

You're not counting Paxton Lynch as an NFL QB are you?***

Aug 26, 2018, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Two great running games for him.*** ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LMAO. 94 yards rushing. Who cares if he scored a TD.***

Aug 26, 2018, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Two great running games for him.*** ]

KB checked down on 2-3 other options before finding Feaster

Aug 27, 2018, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Two great running games for him.*** ]

As a QB, that was one of KBs better plays of the entire year. it was a big time play.

The KB so many want to complain about would have never found the wide open Feaster, before taking off on a scramble for a couple of yards.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would we have lost either? Particularly VT***

Aug 26, 2018, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Worse. Would have lost to State and ]

Aug 26, 2018, 1:18 PM

I personally don't think our receivers were as good last year as they are going to be this year. KB may surprise us all this year and lead the Tigers to a National Championship and a 15-0 record. Yes I thought HJ was a better passer but who's to say our record would have been better. There were some games where everything clicked and that included KB running the ball. Could Johnson have ran the ball? Yes, but not as good as Bryant. KB gave us a third option and defenses had to plan that. Bama sold out on stopping KB running the ball and the receivers missed some balls that should have been caught that could have opened up our offense better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2018, 1:20 PM

Probably identical

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing we know for sure coot. 90-17

Aug 26, 2018, 1:30 PM

This is a dumb question.

Aug 26, 2018, 1:35 PM

Why even ask something like this coot?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is a dumb question.

Aug 26, 2018, 1:38 PM

It’s a hypothetical fun question. Guess you don’t know how to discuss a fun topic. It’s not a serious question

Aug 26, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to This is a dumb question. ]

Because they still have to keep trying to convince themselves he did a stellar job, and it wasn't the defense or the RB's that did a bunch of the work.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:05 PM [ in reply to This is a dumb question. ]

I agree.

Let’s discuss when Chump is gonna get fired instead.

Aug 26, 2018, 1:56 PM

17-0 minimum and more than likely would've beaten the Eagles in the superbowl.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:00 PM

This observation is based off of what? Seeing Johnson play against the citadel? A hs ranking?

Kelly was the best option by far last year and it wasn’t close. He destroyed Johnson and Cooper in the qb battle. Ran away with the job

Aug 26, 2018, 2:02 PM

Ran away with the job he did.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:02 PM

Probably the same.

Aug 26, 2018, 2:19 PM

15-0 National Champions, then they would have let us get in on the rest of the NFL schedule where we would have been in the NFC and beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Final score would have been 45-13. Hunter Johnson would have been the Super Bowl MVP after throwing for 450 and 5 TD's and getting 3 strip sacks on Tom Brady. He would have shocked Clemson nation by announcing after the game that he is going to transfer still because the greatest QB of all time, Trevor Lawrence, is on his way to Clemson

Jake Bentley was your QB Hoss***

Aug 26, 2018, 2:43 PM

5-7

Aug 26, 2018, 2:55 PM

There. I put just as much thought into this as you did.

Since Hunter Johnson is a Northwestern caliber QB i will

Aug 26, 2018, 2:59 PM

counter with another question.

What would our record had been last year with Clayton Thorson at QB, a fellow Northwestern QB that must be of a similar caliber as HJ?

Aug 26, 2018, 3:15 PM

Inconclusive because hj didn’t get to play or the reps with the ones that he may have needed. Had we run our base offense that kb was third string and looked lost in garage time we would have taken a step back. Square peg scenario.

Based on that scenario, the coaches had to essentially make a decision in January and TE, JS came up with an offense and gp that as Dabo said from the get- Kb gives us the best chance to win.

Unfortunately HJ came from a different offense, had to share so many reps with ZC and others that it would have been a gamble to go for broke and hope HJ could do it or design an O that kb was comfortable running. The coaches did what they had to in order to maximize our team wins.

Message was edited by: kerigantoo®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2018, 3:20 PM

Ok, I'll play even though it's even less relevant than the 2018 QB question.

I think HJ (and the Tigers) don't find a way to squeeze out those TDs vs Auburn. The 11 sacks never happen because Auburn burns clock with a small lead. We lose.

At VT he gets rattled. Young QB, raucous environment, quality pressure defense, multiple early mistakes. Young kid grows up but loses a 31-24 type game.

At BC, he presses and gives points away. Eventually he brings us back. Maybe 21-17.

If the NCSt game is at home, Hunter helps us rally. But in Raleigh, once the defense gets pummeled for 21 first-half points, it's over. We lose by double digits.

So best case scenario, HJ takes us to 9-3, probably 8-4 more realistically. No ACCCG but probably win our closer.

Just as important, we would be no closer to a NC this year for having played him.

Aug 26, 2018, 4:04 PM

My problem with our QB decision last year was not that KB wasn't the obvious choice in spring--he was, even though i was unimpressed with his play in 2016 and in 2017 spring and it was clear he had a low ceiling.
But he far exceeded expectations--at least mine--with his composure, his ability to avoid catastrophic mistakes, and his mastery of the scaled down offense the coaches handed him.
The coaches' QB decision at Syracuse has caused much angst. I thought having prepped Zerrick to play, they shouldn't have 'benched' him before the game even started, only to go back to him when the lame guy can't play anymore. If Kelly truly could play (after not practicing all week), why not let him come off the bench if needed?
Fans and coaches alike had no idea what were our backups' capabilities because of the flawed decision process and their inability to prepare the backups to play when needed.

Clearly HJ was playing out of a limited playbook when he did play. So the story reported by the fan last week--that HJ distracted himself from football with spiritual pursuits--is the only thing that makes sense to me, considering the young man he is. Streeter and Dabo (and the other coaches) are not going to discourage a young man from spiritual pursuits, but if it keeps him from learning the offense they're not going to jump him up the depth chart past other guys more dedicated to football.

Just my .02.

Nice pulse, bro.***

Aug 26, 2018, 3:44 PM

2-10 or 1-11***

Aug 26, 2018, 3:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HJ was second/third string for a reason, whether people can

Aug 26, 2018, 5:59 PM

accept it or not. Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to think our record would have been any better with HJ running the offense. People wanting it to be otherwise does not and will not make it so. I mean it's fun to speculate and have these discussions and all; that's what this board is for. Just don't confuse that optimistic speculation and second-guessing with fact.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aug 26, 2018, 6:09 PM

12-2

Aug 26, 2018, 6:23 PM

10-2 or 11-1 probably. Would have maybe lost to Auburn early because HJ might have had some turnovers, but could have easily ran the tables after that. Virginia Tech might have been the only other loss. But, he would have gotten better with more experience.

Oh yeah HJ woulda deep balled Bama to death no question

Aug 26, 2018, 6:24 PM

And don't forget most of his deep ball tds go to KB who would be our greatest WR probably ever. Then HJ and KB would be first ever co #1 draft picks and future NFL hall of fame MVP's. Too bad this coulda been real if Dabo had read tnet and given up on blind loyalty oh well

Aug 26, 2018, 6:29 PM

Had a lot of differing thoughts about this. At the end of the day, yes it is frustrating watching a team that dominated all season get blown up by Alabama’s D and look weak in the process. At first, I put it on KB and the coaches. The more I think though, what would HJ have done better? There was little to no blocking and the RBs didn’t help buffer the Bama D Line. We simply got beat in the trenches on offense by the eventual national champions. Can we honestly think a true freshman qb with very little time could have picked apart Bama in that game. KB won us some games that year and nobody was complaining when we were steamrolling the ACC outside of State and Cuse.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2018, 6:30 PM

I think he was probably as good as Fromm so....National Champs because our defense was better.

Aug 26, 2018, 10:37 PM

It’s just my opinion, but I don’t know that we would have finished as well as we did. Did he have a better throwing arm, maybe, but he didn’t know the playbook or the team. He hadn’t sweated with these guys and watched all of the film that Kelley had. Kelly watched the best we have ever seen command the team with knowledge and respect. We didn’t win it all, and just maybe throwing Hunter in the second half would have helped, but the right person lead us there

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Aug 26, 2018, 11:07 PM

Gee, maybe we would have made it to the CFB playoffs...kind of like we did in real life.

Aug 26, 2018, 11:29 PM

I have no idea.

You have no idea????

Aug 27, 2018, 2:12 PM

Dont you mean you OF no idea?

Same record and same Bama loss - a wash

Aug 27, 2018, 2:35 PM

But many more carries from RBs. And better vertical passing with a few more TD’s and INT’s. Just history now like Swag Kelly though HJ left on solid terms

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic