Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What to Watch in CFB Week 4
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,560

What to Watch in CFB Week 4

Sep 22, 2020, 12:31 PM

Tigers are off this week so could be a good weekend to get some home improvement projects done. It is the SEC season debut however so plenty of intriguing games, probably the best collective slate so far this year.

The Thursday and Friday games this week are nothing to write home about: UAB at So Alabama and MTSU at UTSA...

Kansas St at #3 Oklahoma
12PM, Fox
Why should I care?
BV's alma mater, K-State is coming off of a pretty embarrassing 4-point loss to Ark St two weeks ago. OU looked good in its season opener two weeks ago against Missouri St but that was Missouri St. Will be a good early barometer for how good the Sooners and new QB Spencer Rattler are.

#5 Florida at Ole Miss
12PM, ESPN
Why should I care?
Top 5 UF team, on the road for Lane Kiffin's return to the SEC? Giddyup!!

#7 ND at WFU
12PM, ABC
Why should I care?
This one isn't very intriguing since Wake is 0-2 now but will be our first chance to see ND play a common opponent. Are the Irish really as good as their ranking?

UPDATE: They announced this afternoon that this game has been "postponed" due to some positive COVID tests at ND. What's interesting about this is, if the game cannot be made up, the ACCCG takes the 2 teams with the best winning percentage. That means, for instance, a 9-1 UNC would get in over an 8-1 ND if ND's 1-loss is to Clemson and UNC's is head-to-head vs ND. Strange times.

#23 Kentucky at #8 Auburn
12PM, SECN
Why should I care?
First ranked-v-ranked matchup of the weekend since UK has snuck into the revised top 25 as "Generic SEC Team We Haven't Ranked Yet." Will be the Auburn Debut of Chad Morris as OC.

#24 Louisville at #21 Pitt
12PM, ACCN
Why should I care?
Second week in a row with a ranked-v-ranked ACC matchup (involving Louisville). The Cards did not look great vs. Miami last week and they go up against what may be the 2nd best D in the ACC with Pitt.

GT at 'Cuse
12PM, ESPN3
Why should I care?
You shouldn't. These are probably two of the 3 worst teams in the ACC. But they're both on our schedule so you may want to tune in for some future scouting.

Iowa St at TCU
1:30PM, FS1
Why should I care?
Honestly, the kick time for this just sets up nicely to be a flip-over when the nooners are at halftime. Iowa St is coming off an embarrassing loss to Billy Napier's Ragin Cajuns two weeks ago. TCU hasn't played a game yet after their season opener was postponed. Otherwise, not much to see here.

Miss St at #6 LSU
3:30PM, CBS
Why should I care?
Mike Leach's SEC debut at the rebuilding-but-defending National Champs? Giddyup again!! LSU has lost practically everyone from last year's team from coordinators, the draft, and opt outs, so it'll be very interesting to see if The Pirate can catch Coach O with his pants down.

#8 Texas at Texas Tech
3:30PM, Fox
Why should I care?
Can the Longhorns with veteran QB Sam Ehlinger challenge OU for the Big 12 Title this year or is this another year where "Texas is back...." to a 4-5 loss team? Tex Tech barely squeaked out a win two weeks ago vs HBU --who? *Googles* Houston Baptist University... Yikes.

#22 Army at #14 Cincinnati
3:30PM, ESPN
Why should I care?
This may be the best year the AAC has to sneaking a team into the playoff and Cincinnati is on their short list of teams who could do it. They've got a lot of hype coming into the year but so far have only played Austin Peay so this will be a good early test before they hit their conference schedule and meeting with Memphis and UCF.

WVU at #15 Oklahoma St
3:30PM, ABC
Why should I care?
Chuba Hubbard at OKST is probably the best RB in CFB west of Clemson, SC but he was bottled up in their sloppy, close win vs Tulsa two weeks ago. WVU meanwhile ran all over E KY two weeks ago to the tune of 329 yards on the ground so potentially a good matchup if you like running games.

#4 UGA at Arkansas
4PM, SECN
Why should I care?
It's the debut of UGA Transfer QB Jamie Newman, er... wait... UGA Transfer QB JT Daniels, wait... D'Wan Mathis? Regardless of who starts at QB for the Dawgs, they'll have a cakewalk against their former O-line coach who leads probably the worst P5 team in the country (that is until the Big 10 and Rutgers start up). Also, it's the 40th Anniversary of the Dawgs last Title. They will pretend to celebrate it all season long but don't let any UGA fans you know forget that it's been forty freakin' years since they mattered!!

Duke at UVA
4PM, ACCN
Why should I care?
Not a lot to move the needle here but you can watch Chase Brice take on the Tigers' next opponent in UVA

#2 Alabama at Mizzou
7PM, ESPN
Why should I care?
Another SEC Title frontrunner, another suspiciously bad opening opponent. Mizzou is not great and won't challenge much in this one but it'll be interesting to see how the 2020 Tide look with Mac Jones at QB and whether Bryce Young plays early and often.

Vandy at #10TAMU
7:30PM, SECN Alt (?)
Why should I care?
This year might be put-up-or-shutup for Jimbo Fisher who is making ungodly money to be turning in 4 and 5-loss seasons in College Station. He's got Kellen Mond back at QB who looked brilliant in that one game vs Clemson 2 years ago but average in every other outing. The traditional SEC West powers are not unbeatable this year so can the Aggies step up and finally win the Division? They get the worst team in the SEC East to start out so we won't know based on this...unless they lose... Tune in to the SEC Network Alt, whatever that is.

FSU at #12 Miami
7:30PM, ABC
Why should I care?
The U has looked pretty good through 2 games this season, knocking off a ranked Louisville team last week behind some great play by new QB D'Eriq King who is fun to watch. It would be pretty on-brand for post-ACC Miami to follow up all that momentum and hype by losing to a bad FSU team with a COVID-quarantined HC (seriously, google it) at home so I fully expect FSU to win by a FG.

#16 Tennessee at South Carolina
7:30PM, SECN
Why should I care?
Whoo yeah! Coach Boom and the Boys fire up the Cockaboose for another run at a 4th place finish in the division! In case you missed it, the Gamecocks somewhat surprisingly named Colorado State Transfer QB/Store-Brand-Version-of-Trevor Lawrence Collin Hill the starter ahead of incumbent Hilinksi. Hill played under new OC Mike Bobo at CSU so he admittedly knows the offensive system better but will Hilinksi want to stick around and ride the bench or will he follow in the footsteps of Jake Bentley? Tennessee, the Miami of the SEC, looks to build off of a late season surge last year in Jeremy Pruitt's 3rd season. Pruitt has some goodwill after an 8-5 finish that followed a disappointing 5-7 debut but, make no mistake, if he loses to the Gamecocks, that seat is gonna heat up quick!

NC State at #20 VT
8PM, ACCN
Why should I care?
NC St is coming off a win vs. WFU last week. This will be our first look at the 2020 Hokies as they had to postpone their season opener vs. rival UVA two weeks ago. Once again, who doesn't want to see Dave Doeren lose for a nightcap?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks!! Enjoyed that.***

Sep 22, 2020, 12:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good summary. Thanks!***

Sep 22, 2020, 12:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: What to Watch in CFB Week 4

Sep 22, 2020, 12:50 PM

I think our first off week sets up perfectly in terms of publicity and national attention for our team.

No matter who is playing this weekend, or how they look, the kickoff of the SEC season is going to be covered from start to finish on every single college football show.

We get the SEC hype week to rest and then we return as the SEC coverage goes back to 80% of the talk instead of 95%. We get to walk back in and claim our 10% of the attention and hopefully smack around UVA a little for our troubles.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 1:18 PM

I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to enjoy every minute, because the season passes so quickly, and when it is over, there are no other sports that I watch.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Very cool. Thanks for doing this! Sounds like a great week of

Sep 22, 2020, 1:22 PM

football even with an open date for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Leonard's Loser, in a close one . . . Miami" . . .

Sep 22, 2020, 1:44 PM

is what I expected to read for the FSU summary closure . . . for some reason.

Thanks for the post and summarys!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's kinda funny considering that it's week 1 for them, but

Sep 22, 2020, 1:45 PM

this is effectively a must win game for both uof6c and Tennessee.

If the Vole lose to a team that is widely regarded as a $EC cellar dweller, as you pointed, any goodwill Pruitt established at the end of last year will be lost and his seat will certainly start to warm-up.

uof6c, on the other hand, is a slight underdog at home. If they lose, finding more than three wins on the schedule will be a real challenge although I still don't think a 3 - 7 season gets CussChamp fired, at least not this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 22, 2020, 2:00 PM

UF should beat the snot out of Ole Miss. I love it when Lane Kiffin loses badly.

I will watch some of UL vs. Pitt. IMO, the Miami score was misleading and UL is better than they showed Saturday.

UT vs. Texas Tech: I want them to fail but, unfortunately, UT will go to Lubbock and lay 60 on the Dumb Raiders.

I will watch some of FSU vs. Miami because of D'Eriq King. He played HS football a few miles from my house and was electric at UH before transferring.

Might watch a little of (the other) UT vs. USCe. (The other) UT football program seems to have a lot of momentum. Can they back it up by dominating one of the weaker SEC teams.

Isn't Tennessee also one of the weaker $EZ teams?***

Sep 22, 2020, 2:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Absolutely Not (well, OK, they should not be)

Sep 22, 2020, 2:38 PM

IMO, Tennessee is clearly better than Mizzou, USCe, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State and Arkansas. On the other hand, they are clearly worse than Alabama, UF and UGA.

They are a middling to above-average SEC squad while USCe is clearly a weak sister. This Saturday, there is way more pressure on Pruitt because the expectations are higher.

If his team isn't fired up and full of energy against USCe something is seriously wrong there.

Re: Isn't Tennessee also one of the weaker $EZ teams?***

Sep 22, 2020, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Isn't Tennessee also one of the weaker $EZ teams?*** ]

I mean, they're probably third best behind UGA and UF but that doesn't make them a good team. I'm not buying UK being a ranked team this year. Mizzou and SCAR are .500-type teams at best and Vandy is just bad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 5:17 PM

Thanks. My comments.

Man, do I hope you're right about FSU/Miami.

I'm interested to see if LSU has the depth to just reload or if Orgeron is Gene Chizik Jr.

Lane Kiffin is a jerk. But, he's playing that team that I hate as bad as y'all hate USC. So, for one week I'm all aboard the Lane Train. (I don't expect the game to be competitive, but I hope I'm wrong.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,560
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic